PDA

View Full Version : Will the Bills be players for another Edwards?

patmoran2006
02-16-2010, 09:14 AM
There’s still roughly two and a half weeks before the start of the free agency and the Buffalo Bills coaching staff, particularly on the defensive side is still getting acclimated to each other. We know new coordinator George Edwards will implement a 3-4 switch, but other than that nothing should be taken for granted.

With so much time in the coaching search lost, the Bills staff alongside Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley is working around the clock evaluating the current roster and combing the forthcoming free agent and trade markets for others. At this early stage it’s impossible to predict where they’ll lean come March 5.
One thing we know is certain is the roster and particularly on the defensive side will have turnover—Plenty of it.

I’ve heard a few names brought up in a variety of circles I speak to regularly connected with the team. One of them is an unheralded defensive end the franchise may hope goes right under the radar and into a Buffalo Bills uniform.

When fans think of the vaunted Baltimore Ravens defense, Dwan Edwards is a rarely a name that comes to mind. His 2009 statistics are hardly intimidating; 47 tackles and a sack in 16 games. In fact he didn’t even begin 2009 as a starter. But by week six he surpassed Trevor Pryce on the depth chart and since that point was a consistent if not spectacular component to defense that was the best in the NFL against the run.

According to a beat reporter in Baltimore I spoke with, the Ravens would like to bring Edwards back but fear he’ll draw enough interest from other teams to drive his price too high. Baltimore plans on spending money at wide receiver and defensive tackle and may have to watch Edwards sign elsewhere.

The former 2004 second round out of Oregon State hopes to cash in on the opportunity. Baltimore linemen have a reputation for commanding significant money on the free agent market with Aubrayo Franklin and Ma’ake Kemoeatu as recent examples.

If nothing else the Bills need to stock up on defensive end depth. Marcus Stroud and Spencer Johnson are the only two current players on the roster who seemingly project into the end position and Edwards could almost certainly come in and take over one of the starting spots.

He may not be a marquee name but comes from a hard-hitting defense and is skillful enough to continue developing.

Mahdi
02-16-2010, 09:31 AM
He is going to be in high demand. With teams like Washington, Dallas, SF, Denver, KC, SD, CLE, Pittsburgh, Miami, NE, and NY. Probably even more.

I bet he signs a very lucrative contract. He will not be easy to sign.

patmoran2006
02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
He is going to be in high demand. With teams like Washington, Dallas, SF, Denver, KC, SD, CLE, Pittsburgh, Miami, NE, and NY. Probably even more.

I bet he signs a very lucrative contract. He will not be easy to sign.

Agreed. Like I said, former Raven defenders get big money when they hit the open market.

Oaf
02-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Trent Edwards? :idunno:

elltrain22
02-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Dwan Edwards, IMO, would be an excellent addition. Under the radar yes, but he could be a good player for this team.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-16-2010, 10:38 AM
This offseason we need to target either a NT or DE with DE being the more realistic option. I'd love to snag Edwards and think we make a run at him. Though, I think Nick Eaison will end up being the guy we get. He'll teach the ropes to guys like Spencer, Stroud and Kyle if he's still here.

TigerJ
02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Dwan Edwards, IMO, would be an excellent addition. Under the radar yes, but he could be a good player for this team.

Probably only under the radar with respect to fans, and the more casual fan (like me) at that.