PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider Rumor: WR Brandon Marshall in play for Pats

DraftBoy
02-16-2010, 11:41 AM
John Clayton intially mentioned there is interest and it makes sense considering the Pats have two 2011 1st Round picks to play with. The rich just keeping getting richer...

Pinkerton Security
02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Eh, the Pats do have 2 first rounders but ESPN Insider rumors have proven to be about as accurate as any wild guesses you or I would make, so I would take this with a grain of salt until something more concrete develops.

Lexwhat
02-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Marshall, Moss, and Welker. Wow.

Beebe's Kid
02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Oooh my gahhhhd.

That would suck.

The Pats* possibly get Marshall, and we will be shopping the scratched and dented section...

dplus47
02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Marshall could increase by a factor of ten the many rings that team has won since the addition of Moss and Welker.

What is ten times zero again?

That team needs defensive players and a renewed commitment to the running game, IMO, so of course they'll add Marshall.

justasportsfan
02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
love the PAts blueprint of success. Build homegrown players via the draft and use them for trade bait down the road for more pics which could be used to trade for other players. Thats why the rich gets richer and stay rich.

Goobylal
02-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Won't happen. There are other teams not in the AFC who will also be interested. And McDaniels and Belichick don't have a good relationship.

DraftBoy
02-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Eh, the Pats do have 2 first rounders but ESPN Insider rumors have proven to be about as accurate as any wild guesses you or I would make, so I would take this with a grain of salt until something more concrete develops.

Not an ESPN Insider thing though Clayton reported it first so it has slightly more credibility.

Mahdi
02-16-2010, 11:59 AM
This would really suck.

B. Marsh is one of my favorite players in the league minus the off the field issues.

He is fun to watch and is simply DOMINANT. Would hate to seem him a Pat

djjimkelly
02-16-2010, 12:00 PM
well if they get him the immediate future will be bad for everyone if a cap comes back they may have to release half the team because of the salaries they will have involved at wr i doubt they do it

jlruss90
02-16-2010, 12:08 PM
I dont know if Marshall's ego will be able to keep him in check being on the same team with moss and welker. I think he would like to go somewhere where he is the "guy".

G Wolly
02-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I think he would like to go somewhere where he is the "guy".

:historian:

streetkings01
02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
I can see Moss demanding a trade if Marshall is brought in........the old Moss started to come out this past season.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Broncos would be ******ed if they traded him in conference, especially to a Brady led team.

ChanGailey
02-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Maybe they are done with Randy?

Pinkerton Security
02-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Not an ESPN Insider thing though Clayton reported it first so it has slightly more credibility.

ooh...i was just going off the title..

ESPN Insider Rumor: WR Brandon Marshall in play for Pats

Ickybaluky
02-16-2010, 02:02 PM
And McDaniels and Belichick don't have a good relationship.

They have an excellent relationship. McDaniels has talked on many occasions about how much he is grateful to Belichick for preparing him to be a HC, and Belichick thinks of McDaniels like a son.

Seriously, that couldn't be more off-base.

Prov401
02-16-2010, 02:03 PM
The Patriots are declining, especially on defense. Their defense doesn't scare me at all. They have many players that may leave this offseason. Adalius Thomas, Kevin Faulk, Logan Mankins, Stephen Neal (May retire), Ben Watson, Vince Wilfork, Jarvis Green, Banta-Cain, and even their kicker Gostkowski.

I will say I think they are set at saftey for the future. Sanders and Mariweather are pretty good. But aside from that, they are nowhere near a top 10 defense anymore. However, Belicheck is running the D this year, and he has been known to take an average player to new heights.

All that said...Their offense is still one of the best. They essentially have two Welkers (Edelman), Moss, and now possibly Marshall? Ouch. I wouldn't put it past them to sign LT either. And we know what the Pats can do with RB's that people think are all done (Smith, Dillon). Brady missed an entire year of football. And still hung 4,000 yards. Moss apparently played with a separated shoulder the last month and a half of the season. If that offense is healthy, they're going to quickly be putting up 40 a game, just like 2007. However, instead of winning games 45-10...They may win 45-34.

Prov401
02-16-2010, 02:05 PM
They have an excellent relationship. McDaniels has talked on many occasions about how much he is grateful to Belichick for preparing him to be a HC, and Belichick thinks of McDaniels like a son.

Very true. After the Denver game, in which the Broncos won, I remember Belicheck trying to find McDaniels...Even reading his lips (Where's Josh?). Of course McDaniels was doing his best Jersey Shore impersenation, and pumping his fist on the sidelines like a cheerleader. But, Belicheck even went into the Broncos lockeroom after the game, and shook McDaniels hand.

Ickybaluky
02-16-2010, 02:07 PM
First of all, the Pats get linked to about every major player out there. I think agents like to throw their name out there because they know the Pats won't make a comment one way or another about a rumor to the press. It really doesn't mean anything.

Secondly, Marshall is a great player but they have too many other needs to spend their resources on a top WR, and it would take a new contract to get Marshall to play. The only way I could see it taking place is they dealt Moss and his $6.4M salary to make it happen. I suppose that is possible, but not real likely.

Joe Fo Sho
02-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Doesn't matter, as long as they still don't allow them to cheat.

Ickybaluky
02-16-2010, 02:15 PM
The Patriots are declining, especially on defense. Their defense doesn't scare me at all. They have many players that may leave this offseason. Adalius Thomas, Kevin Faulk, Logan Mankins, Stephen Neal (May retire), Ben Watson, Vince Wilfork, Jarvis Green, Banta-Cain, and even their kicker Gostkowski.

While it is true they have a lot of FA, this is a little misleading. Gostkowski and Mankins are both restricted FA, so they aren't going anywhere without someone willing to surrender high draft compensation (assuming the Pats don't match). Also, if a new deal is not worked out with Wilfork, he is almost certain to be franchised. Kevin Faulk has said he wants to return, so the only way he goes anywhere is if they don't want him. They have the first shot at Banta-Cain as well, as he has stated he wants to return as well.

That said, Neal may retire and is a FA anyway. Thomas, Green and Watson are all likely gone, but the team doesn't seem interested in retaining them.

You left off Leigh Bodden, who had a nice year last year and I hope they bring him back.

However, the defense is younger than you think, they integrated a lot of younger players last year. For all their struggles last year, they finished 11th in total defense and allowed the 5th fewest points in the NFL. They have a critical need to upgrade their pass-rush, which is no small thing. Pass rush is the hardest thing to find on defense, but if they do that they will be a pretty good defense.

Owen DeBoard
02-16-2010, 02:50 PM

I will say I think they are set at saftey for the future. Sanders and Mariweather are pretty good. But aside from that, they are nowhere near a top 10 defense anymore. However, Belicheck is running the D this year, and he has been known to take an average player to new heights.

All that said...Their offense is still one of the best. They essentially have two Welkers (Edelman), Moss, and now possibly Marshall? Ouch. I wouldn't put it past them to sign LT either. And we know what the Pats can do with RB's that people think are all done (Smith, Dillon). Brady missed an entire year of football. And still hung 4,000 yards. Moss apparently played with a separated shoulder the last month and a half of the season. If that offense is healthy, they're going to quickly be putting up 40 a game, just like 2007. However, instead of winning games 45-10...They may win 45-34.
Yeah Brady missed an entire year and still hung 4,000 yards but we all see what happened when Welker went down didnt we. If he doesnt have Welker to throw the screens or short passes to he aint the greatest qb that some of you have him all cracked up to be. That was a completely different offense without Welker in there just rewatch that Ravens Pats game in the playoffs if you dont remember.

cocamide
02-16-2010, 03:53 PM
I wonder if Asante Samuel will offer any advice to Marshall about this. Both are from UCF and probably friends. Obviously Samuel doesn't think too highly of the way the Patsies treat their players, so I wonder if he'll have any bearing on Marshall's opinion of NE.

Oldbillsfan
02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
F the Pats?

Goobylal
02-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Forked from: ESPN Insider Rumor: WR Brandon Marshall in play for Pats (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3156125)

I remember hearing the other stuff, but I thought their relationship soured during the season. If not, my mistake.

As for the idea of Marshall playing with Welker and Moss, Welker won't be back next season, and the threat of a lockout in 2011 looms large. And given that Welker's game is predicated on quick cutting and agility, tearing-up his knee, especially at his age, is in all likelihood career-ending (or at least from the standpoint of being close to what he once was), even if there's a 2011 season. As for Moss, this is probably his last season with the Pats.

Finally, I don't see the Broncos accepting a 2011 pick for Marshall, especially when as I said, a lockout looks very possible. And I'm sure the Broncos want to get him out of the conference.

Oldbillsfan
02-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Anyone who trades with the Pats is stupid. They have made out like bandits every deal the have done.

better days
02-17-2010, 08:09 AM

I would be happy if the Pats signed LT. He is finished as is Fred Taylor.

BuffaloRanger
02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
What happens when the Pats add Porter and Peppers after of course turning down the Bills... I hate the Pats.

Goobylal
02-17-2010, 03:47 PM
What happens when the Pats add Porter and Peppers after of course turning down the Bills... I hate the Pats.
Porter is close to finished. He'd be at-best a replacement for Adalius Thomas. And Peppers will want to get paid and won't be going to the Pats.