Could Marc Bulger be the solution at quarterback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Could Marc Bulger be the solution at quarterback?

The Buffalo Bills undoubtedly are at least contemplating an upgrade at quarterback, and a significant signal caller may soon be hitting the open market. According to Howard Balzer of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger has cleaned out his locker in anticipation of being released.

As Balzer points out, the rebuilding Rams owe Bulger $8.5 million in salary in 2010, making it nearly impossible to acquire anything for him via trade.
    Should the Bills choose to roll the dice, Bulger could be a high risk, high reward acquisition. He’s been injured plenty in recent years and hasn’t made it through a full 16-game schedule since 2006. In fact it’s the only time in his eight years in the league he’s played a full slate of games uninterrupted.

Simply put, Bulger has a reputation for being fragile and that doesn’t bode well if he came to a Buffalo organization that sees their quarterbacks take a beating behind a porous offensive line. Bulger was sacked 124 times in his last three full seasons while Bills quarterbacks have been dropped 110 times during that same span.

Not exactly a marriage made for his health.

Bulger was placed on injured reserve last December with a bad knee and has had to overcome a variety of bumps and bruises, including major shoulder injury in 2005.

Having said that he’s one of the most accurate and deadly passers in football when given time to throw. He’s completed over 62% of his passes during his career and has 122 touchdowns to only 93 interceptions. He also reached 1,000 career completions faster than anyone in NFL history.

2006 was a magical year for Bulger that saw him throw for 4,301 yards with 24 touchdowns and just eight interceptions. Right now if the Bills could get half that production they’d be a far better offense.

Will the Bills take a chance on Bulger once he becomes available? There would likely be at least some competition for his services. Cleveland and Oakland are looking at starting quarterback options while teams like San Francisco, Arizona and Washington could be in the mix too.

Signing Bulger, who will be 33 when the 2010 season starts could be coupled with picking the best offensive tackle available with the ninth overall pick in the draft and go a long way towards retooling the offense. Unlike trade possibilities like Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb, this is a move that could realistically happen.

What would you think of Bulger in a Bills uniform?

**UPDATE** Per Adam Schefter on Twitter, “Rams QB Marc Bulger did not clean out his locker. Rams equipment men did, just as they cleaned out everyone’s locker at end of year.”
    Having said that, you can still expect the Rams to release him soon.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • BlackMetalNinja
    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
    • May 2005

Re: Could Marc Bulger be the solution at quarterback?

I think Bulger would be injured in the first 3 weeks with our current o line in front of him.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
      • Nov 2009

Wow, not only would he be ineffective, he wouldn't even be a "Kool-Aid" kind of guy.

I think Bulger should just find a good financial adviser and walk away.

Comment

• DesertFox24
        • Jul 2005

He is way to expensive and I would rather have the cheaper Edwards or Brohm.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

we should take Bulger, draft Bradford and keep Trent and rename the team Zombieland
          Last edited by justasportsfan; 02-16-2010, 12:28 PM.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ChanGailey
            Veteran Zoner
            • Jan 2010

The dudes best QB rating over the last three seasons is 71. No thankyou.

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

No.

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                The Buffalo Bills undoubtedly are at least contemplating an upgrade at quarterback, and a significant signal caller may soon be hitting the open market. According to Howard Balzer of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger has cleaned out his locker in anticipation of being released.

As Balzer points out, the rebuilding Rams owe Bulger $8.5 million in salary in 2010, making it nearly impossible to acquire anything for him via trade.
                Should the Bills choose to roll the dice, Bulger could be a high risk, high reward acquisition. He’s been injured plenty in recent years and hasn’t made it through a full 16-game schedule since 2006. In fact it’s the only time in his eight years in the league he’s played a full slate of games uninterrupted.

Simply put, Bulger has a reputation for being fragile and that doesn’t bode well if he came to a Buffalo organization that sees their quarterbacks take a beating behind a porous offensive line. Bulger was sacked 124 times in his last three full seasons while Bills quarterbacks have been dropped 110 times during that same span.

Not exactly a marriage made for his health.

Bulger was placed on injured reserve last December with a bad knee and has had to overcome a variety of bumps and bruises, including major shoulder injury in 2005.

Having said that he’s one of the most accurate and deadly passers in football when given time to throw. He’s completed over 62% of his passes during his career and has 122 touchdowns to only 93 interceptions. He also reached 1,000 career completions faster than anyone in NFL history.

2006 was a magical year for Bulger that saw him throw for 4,301 yards with 24 touchdowns and just eight interceptions. Right now if the Bills could get half that production they’d be a far better offense.

Will the Bills take a chance on Bulger once he becomes available? There would likely be at least some competition for his services. Cleveland and Oakland are looking at starting quarterback options while teams like San Francisco, Arizona and Washington could be in the mix too.

Signing Bulger, who will be 33 when the 2010 season starts could be coupled with picking the best offensive tackle available with the ninth overall pick in the draft and go a long way towards retooling the offense. Unlike trade possibilities like Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb, this is a move that could realistically happen.

What would you think of Bulger in a Bills uniform?

**UPDATE** Per Adam Schefter on Twitter, “Rams QB Marc Bulger did not clean out his locker. Rams equipment men did, just as they cleaned out everyone’s locker at end of year.”
                Having said that, you can still expect the Rams to release him soon.
                He is not good enough for the Rams yet he is a "solution" for Buffalo?

Comment

• BillsWin
                  man amongst boys
                  • Oct 2008

He is awful!!!! Why don't we just give Brohm a go?

I'd rather give Edwards a second chance, than have Bulger here.
                  I am The Batman.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by EDS
                    He is not good enough for the Rams yet he is a "solution" for Buffalo?
                    Not my job here to form my opinion.. Its my job to put the information out there and let you decide for yourself.

Personally, I don't think he's the answer either; though I do think he'd be the best FA option on the market, assuming he does get cut.

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                      Not my job here to form my opinion.. Its my job to put the information out there and let you decide for yourself.

Personally, I don't think he's the answer either; though I do think he'd be the best FA option on the market, assuming he does get cut.
                      That is not information. It is speculation.

Comment

• Prov401
                        President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BillsWin
                        He is awful!!!! Why don't we just give Brohm a go?

I'd rather give Edwards a second chance, than have Bulger here.
                        He's far from awful, but he isn't what he used to be.

Remember, this is a guy who unsat Warner at QB, that's how great he once was.

The Rams have just not been able to keep this guy upwright the last few seasons. That said, the Bills are going to have to get their line fixed before investing in this guy.

Bottom line: I wouldn't want him. His positives are matched by his weaknesses. He can disect a team any given week, and has good arm stregnth. However, he has been getting beat up the past few seasons, and may be crashing into retirement sooner than later.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

Mark Bulger??? Can we fast forward to 2011?

Comment

• dannyek71
                            Drink Responsibly
                            • Dec 2004

Bulger will be our QB next year. I've been saying this for months
                            [

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by EDS
                              That is not information. It is speculation.
                              I cited a report saying he's expected to soon be released, and showed a career history with numbers to give people like yourself a basis to form an opinion on. That is information.

Speculation would be saying the Bills were interested in signing Bulger. That wasn't said at any point.

Comment

Working...
                              X