PDA

View Full Version : Could Marc Bulger be the solution at quarterback?

patmoran2006
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
The Buffalo Bills undoubtedly are at least contemplating an upgrade at quarterback, and a significant signal caller may soon be hitting the open market. According to Howard Balzer of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35420832/ns/sports-player_news/), St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger has cleaned out his locker in anticipation of being released.

As Balzer points out, the rebuilding Rams owe Bulger $8.5 million in salary in 2010, making it nearly impossible to acquire anything for him via trade.
Should the Bills choose to roll the dice, Bulger could be a high risk, high reward acquisition. He’s been injured plenty in recent years and hasn’t made it through a full 16-game schedule since 2006. In fact it’s the only time in his eight years in the league he’s played a full slate of games uninterrupted.

Simply put, Bulger has a reputation for being fragile and that doesn’t bode well if he came to a Buffalo organization that sees their quarterbacks take a beating behind a porous offensive line. Bulger was sacked 124 times in his last three full seasons while Bills quarterbacks have been dropped 110 times during that same span.

Not exactly a marriage made for his health.

Bulger was placed on injured reserve last December with a bad knee and has had to overcome a variety of bumps and bruises, including major shoulder injury in 2005.

Having said that he’s one of the most accurate and deadly passers in football when given time to throw. He’s completed over 62% of his passes during his career and has 122 touchdowns to only 93 interceptions. He also reached 1,000 career completions faster than anyone in NFL history.

2006 was a magical year for Bulger that saw him throw for 4,301 yards with 24 touchdowns and just eight interceptions. Right now if the Bills could get half that production they’d be a far better offense.

Will the Bills take a chance on Bulger once he becomes available? There would likely be at least some competition for his services. Cleveland and Oakland are looking at starting quarterback options while teams like San Francisco, Arizona and Washington could be in the mix too.

Signing Bulger, who will be 33 when the 2010 season starts could be coupled with picking the best offensive tackle available with the ninth overall pick in the draft and go a long way towards retooling the offense. Unlike trade possibilities like Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb, this is a move that could realistically happen.

What would you think of Bulger in a Bills uniform?

**UPDATE** Per Adam Schefter on Twitter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter), “Rams QB Marc Bulger did not clean out his locker. Rams equipment men did, just as they cleaned out everyone’s locker at end of year.”
Having said that, you can still expect the Rams to release him soon.

BlackMetalNinja
02-16-2010, 12:15 PM
I think Bulger would be injured in the first 3 weeks with our current o line in front of him.

Beebe's Kid
02-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Wow, not only would he be ineffective, he wouldn't even be a "Kool-Aid" kind of guy.

I think Bulger should just find a good financial adviser and walk away.

DesertFox24
02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
He is way to expensive and I would rather have the cheaper Edwards or Brohm.

justasportsfan
02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
we should take Bulger, draft Bradford and keep Trent and rename the team Zombieland :ill:

ChanGailey
02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
The dudes best QB rating over the last three seasons is 71. No thankyou.

EDS
02-16-2010, 12:28 PM
No.

EDS
02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
The Buffalo Bills undoubtedly are at least contemplating an upgrade at quarterback, and a significant signal caller may soon be hitting the open market. According to Howard Balzer of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35420832/ns/sports-player_news/), St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger has cleaned out his locker in anticipation of being released.

As Balzer points out, the rebuilding Rams owe Bulger $8.5 million in salary in 2010, making it nearly impossible to acquire anything for him via trade.
Should the Bills choose to roll the dice, Bulger could be a high risk, high reward acquisition. He’s been injured plenty in recent years and hasn’t made it through a full 16-game schedule since 2006. In fact it’s the only time in his eight years in the league he’s played a full slate of games uninterrupted.

Simply put, Bulger has a reputation for being fragile and that doesn’t bode well if he came to a Buffalo organization that sees their quarterbacks take a beating behind a porous offensive line. Bulger was sacked 124 times in his last three full seasons while Bills quarterbacks have been dropped 110 times during that same span.

Not exactly a marriage made for his health.

Bulger was placed on injured reserve last December with a bad knee and has had to overcome a variety of bumps and bruises, including major shoulder injury in 2005.

Having said that he’s one of the most accurate and deadly passers in football when given time to throw. He’s completed over 62% of his passes during his career and has 122 touchdowns to only 93 interceptions. He also reached 1,000 career completions faster than anyone in NFL history.

2006 was a magical year for Bulger that saw him throw for 4,301 yards with 24 touchdowns and just eight interceptions. Right now if the Bills could get half that production they’d be a far better offense.

Will the Bills take a chance on Bulger once he becomes available? There would likely be at least some competition for his services. Cleveland and Oakland are looking at starting quarterback options while teams like San Francisco, Arizona and Washington could be in the mix too.

Signing Bulger, who will be 33 when the 2010 season starts could be coupled with picking the best offensive tackle available with the ninth overall pick in the draft and go a long way towards retooling the offense. Unlike trade possibilities like Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb, this is a move that could realistically happen.

What would you think of Bulger in a Bills uniform?

**UPDATE** Per Adam Schefter on Twitter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter), “Rams QB Marc Bulger did not clean out his locker. Rams equipment men did, just as they cleaned out everyone’s locker at end of year.”
Having said that, you can still expect the Rams to release him soon.

He is not good enough for the Rams yet he is a "solution" for Buffalo?

BillsWin
02-16-2010, 01:01 PM
He is awful!!!! Why don't we just give Brohm a go?

I'd rather give Edwards a second chance, than have Bulger here.

patmoran2006
02-16-2010, 01:12 PM
He is not good enough for the Rams yet he is a "solution" for Buffalo?

Not my job here to form my opinion.. Its my job to put the information out there and let you decide for yourself.

Personally, I don't think he's the answer either; though I do think he'd be the best FA option on the market, assuming he does get cut.

EDS
02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Not my job here to form my opinion.. Its my job to put the information out there and let you decide for yourself.

Personally, I don't think he's the answer either; though I do think he'd be the best FA option on the market, assuming he does get cut.

That is not information. It is speculation.

Prov401
02-16-2010, 01:49 PM
He is awful!!!! Why don't we just give Brohm a go?

I'd rather give Edwards a second chance, than have Bulger here.

He's far from awful, but he isn't what he used to be.

Remember, this is a guy who unsat Warner at QB, that's how great he once was.

The Rams have just not been able to keep this guy upwright the last few seasons. That said, the Bills are going to have to get their line fixed before investing in this guy.

Bottom line: I wouldn't want him. His positives are matched by his weaknesses. He can disect a team any given week, and has good arm stregnth. However, he has been getting beat up the past few seasons, and may be crashing into retirement sooner than later.

TacklingDummy
02-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Mark Bulger??? Can we fast forward to 2011?

dannyek71
02-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Bulger will be our QB next year. I've been saying this for months

patmoran2006
02-16-2010, 02:36 PM
That is not information. It is speculation.

I cited a report saying he's expected to soon be released, and showed a career history with numbers to give people like yourself a basis to form an opinion on. That is information.

Speculation would be saying the Bills were interested in signing Bulger. That wasn't said at any point.

Bill Cody
02-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Marc Bulger, David Carr, Trent Edwards, all three have the NFL equivalent of "battle fatigue". You get hit too much your calmness in the pocket, your ability to keep your eyes downfield gets damaged. Bulger doesn't look the same to me and he's injury prone. Pass.

TrEd FTW
02-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Look at Bulger's career numbers outdoors. The guy is a joke.

Night Train
02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
A Jeff George suggestion should be coming any day now. :rolleyes:

The only Vet worth it is McNabb...maybe Chris Redmond. Otherwise, I'd rather try Brohm, keep Fitz for insurance, cut Edwards and wait until the 2011 draft. I don't like the top half of this 2010 QB class at all.

I watch a ton of college ball and all the name guys will be picked 1-2 rounds higher than their true worth. :down:

RockStar36
02-16-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't know if there is anything worse than lighting yourself on fire, but I would have to seriously consider my options if Bulger was signed by Buffalo.

Jeff1220
02-16-2010, 03:26 PM
We could get a younger injury prone int machine for cheaper.

Akhippo
02-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I can take the news of Chan Gailey as head coach over Marc Bulger the new starting QB.

DraftBoy
02-16-2010, 03:51 PM
It just doesn't make sense with vets Edwards and Fitzy on the roster already.

patmoran2006
02-16-2010, 04:28 PM
It just doesn't make sense with vets Edwards and Fitzy on the roster already.

Some, including myself don't expect both of those quarterbacks on the roster next season.

I'm not advocating Bulger BTW-- he's too fragile for this team.

But he is a good talent.

alohabillsfan
02-16-2010, 05:04 PM
puke, move to spam

elltrain22
02-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Bulger is a more expensive Trent Edwards.

X-Era
02-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I have less than no interest in adding Bulger. Any vet QB that doesn't represent an immediate upgrade isn't worth our money or time.

Typ0
02-16-2010, 08:55 PM
He would fit right in here. We could overpay him and then have an excuse how things were going to go great until he got hurt in week 1. Then the season would be a wash and we'd go into next season with a bazillion Bills fans thinking we're headed in the right direction again.

SirMcGee
02-16-2010, 09:39 PM
I'd rather have Trent Edwards as our starting QB

WeAreArthurMoates
02-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Id rather go after Pennington than him.

Jan Reimers
02-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Bulger's numbers were great his first 5 years as a starter, and very Trent-like the last 3.

Mr. Pink
02-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Bulger of 5 years ago? Definitely.

Bulger of today? No way in hell. Damaged goods.

ParanoidAndroid
02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Taking a chance at QB is not what Buffalo needs to do at this point in time, unless it's a high draft pick.
Bulger was a very good quarterback that has suffered from the Rams' inability to replace Orlando Pace and the rest of its top rated O-line from the Greatest Show on Turf years.
While I once thought he could get back to his 2004-2006 level of play, I doubt he can do that here.
McNabb would not fare much better behind the O-line the Bills currently field.
Get the O-line fixed first, and then look for someone to develop. Giving a young QB more than 3 seconds to survey the field might be a good start.
A banged up QB is not going to be effective, no matter who he is.

ZAZusmc03
02-18-2010, 06:03 AM
I just have a gut feeling that the Bills will find a way to get LeFevour in the draft. And I wouldn't mind that at all.

Bert102176
02-18-2010, 02:01 PM
simply have to say helllllllll f'n NO

Bert102176
02-19-2010, 11:49 AM
the guy is garbage I say give trent one last shot

Typ0
02-19-2010, 08:06 PM
the guy is garbage I say give trent one last shot

all the guys on our roster are going to get a shot if the powers that be are serious about winning. If they bring another guy into the mix it ought to be a guy that has a chance to beat them out not a guy that's been beat down into nothing. At least a guy like McNabb consistently plays well when he's playing. Bulger has a bad injury history and hasn't been able to turn it on in several years.

SABURZFAN
02-19-2010, 09:38 PM
He is way to expensive and I would rather have the cheaper Edwards or Brohm.

that's what the owner wants too.

acehole
02-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Clearing out the whole roster of the qb postion is fine by me.

Wanted:
a. Nifty proven Vet.
b. Top 40 draft pick
c. An unproven Journemen with some potential.

Must have strong arm and play in cold and take a hit.
Accuracy a must.

Send resume to One Bills drive Buffalo NY.

all the guys on our roster are going to get a shot if the powers that be are serious about winning. If they bring another guy into the mix it ought to be a guy that has a chance to beat them out not a guy that's been beat down into nothing. At least a guy like McNabb consistently plays well when he's playing. Bulger has a bad injury history and hasn't been able to turn it on in several years.

FootballCEO
02-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Pleeaaaase stay away from Marc "Still living off 5 years ago" Bulger...

yomommabilly
02-21-2010, 11:49 PM
You have to check Bulgers pulse every 5 min. to make sure he is alive. Has cement feet, locks onto one receiver and one receiver only, moves as fast a a melting pile of snow, looks like the lights are on and nobodys home,throws a good pass about 4-5 yards downfield, to the sideline.

The dude is horrible, toast, nothin left folks and he played that way in a dome and in nice NFC West weather. In Buffalo ??????? no way and for 8.5 million ????? thats a joke. When the Rams resigned him for 65 million it was a joke. Since signing his contract prior to the 2007 for 65 million, the Rams have won 6 games and lost 42. This is not the same as a Kurt Warner rebirth, this guy was never close to Waner status. St. Louis could not release him till this year, too much money was guaranteed and no one wanted him. This is their year to cut the mutt and they will as it will not hurt them at all.

patmoran2006
02-22-2010, 06:22 AM
You have to check Bulgers pulse every 5 min. to make sure he is alive. Has cement feet, locks onto one receiver and one receiver only, moves as fast a a melting pile of snow, looks like the lights are on and nobodys home,throws a good pass about 4-5 yards downfield, to the sideline.

The dude is horrible, toast, nothin left folks and he played that way in a dome and in nice NFC West weather. In Buffalo ??????? no way and for 8.5 million ????? thats a joke. When the Rams resigned him for 65 million it was a joke. Since signing his contract prior to the 2007 for 65 million, the Rams have won 6 games and lost 42. This is not the same as a Kurt Warner rebirth, this guy was never close to Waner status. St. Louis could not release him till this year, too much money was guaranteed and no one wanted him. This is their year to cut the mutt and they will as it will not hurt them at all.

That first line was hilarious.

THATHURMANATOR
02-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Draft a QB people!!!