PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame QB's

Beebe's Kid
02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I know there are a lot of people that like Clausen. I am not one of them. Bradford is my choice, if we have to draft a QB. I would be happier getting McClain or solving the LT situation with the 1st pick.

I was looking at a thread on another board where the poster slammed Quinn as a bust, and mentioned he was Rick Mirer. I started thinking about QB's that were ND products and found this list online...

1) Steve Beuerlein - played between 1988-2003 for the Raiders, Cowboys, Cardinals, Jaguars, Panthers, and Broncos.
2) Tom Clement - played in 1980 for the Chiefs.
3) Kent Graham - played between 1992-2001 for the Giants, Cardinals, Steelers, and Redskins.
4) Ralph Guglielmi - Played in 1955 and 1958-1963 for the Redskins, Cardinals, Giants, and Eagles.
5) Terry Hanratty - played between 1969-1976 for the Steelers and Buccaneers.
6) John Huarte - played between 1966-1972 for the Patriots, Eagles, Chiefs, and Bears.
7) George Izo - played between 1960-1966 for the Cardinals, Redskins, Lions, and Steelers.
8) Jarious Jackson - played between 2000-2003 for the Broncos.
9) Ken Karcher - played in 1977 and 1978 for the Broncos.
10) Blair Kiel - played between 1984-1991 for the Buccaneers, Colts, and Packers.
11) Greg Knafelc - played in 1983 for the Saints.
12) Daryle Lamonica - played between 1963-1974 for the Bills and Raiders.
13) Rusty Lisch - played between 1980-1984 for the Cardinals and Bears.
14) Rick Mirer - played between 1993-2000 and 2003 for the Seahawks, Bears, Jets, 49ers, and Raiders.
15) Joe Montana - played between 1979-1994 for the 49ers and Chiefs.
16) Tommy O'Connell - played in 1953, 1956-1957, and 1960-1961 for the Bears, Browns, and Bills.
17) Brady Quinn - played between 2007-present for the Browns.
18) George Ratterman - played between 1950-1956 for the Yanks and Browns.
19) Joe Theismann - played between 1974-1985 for the Redskins.
20) Frank Tripucka - played between 1949-1952 and 1960-1963 for the Lions, Cardinals, Texans, and Broncos.
21) Bob Williams - played in 1951, 1952, and 1955 for the Bears.
22) George Wilson - played in 1966 for the Dolphins.
23) Boley Dancewicz - played between 1946-1948 for the Yanks.
24) Johnny Lujack - played between 1948-1951 for the Bears.
25) Steve Nemeth - played in 1945 for the Rams.
26) Ed Rutkowski - played between 1963-1968 for the Bills. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Obviously there are a few good QB's on this list, but many were hacks. I am not a believer in a QB born in Oregon is better or worse than a QB born in North Dakota. I know that these QB's all played for different coaches at different times.

I thought this was interesting, and thought it would be nice to hear any thoughts on the subject.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-16-2010, 01:00 PM
To be fair, you could go through pretty much every program and find the same thing.

Raptor
02-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I think its a waste of time to disqualify a player because the school hasnt had any recent success producing at that spot

Each player is different and each team, coach, situation was different.

How many good QB's has Miami of Ohio? Delaware? Purdue? Southern Mississippi? produced before they put a QB in the NFL that produced and havent since or before

Nothing against the original poster but its an asinine and very flawed logic at best and one I hope our GM never uses because you will miss out on a lot of talented players

Clausen is a polarizing player because he played at a school that people either love or hate. I personally could care less about ND because I'm an SEC fan that went to a major SEC school. I took upon myself to watch all the top rated QB's this past season because I knew the Bills would need one and I came away with the impression after watching every single snap of Clausens and all the other top QB prospects that he was by far the best one and its not even close. He has it all from a physical standpoint and the off the field stuff is slowly deteriorating every day as guys like John Tenuta, Brian Smith, and current NFL players like K.Bullock who Clausen has worked out with rave about the kids character. To me this is a no brainer if he's there at 9 you take him with zero hesitation

BillsWin
02-16-2010, 01:20 PM
I think Clausen has the opportunity to succeed at the next level. He has physical tools, and confidence that won't get shaken as easily as say, a Trent Edwards.

It is Bradford however that will emerge as the better QB in my opinion.

It has nothing to do with what schools they go to. Look at Oklahoma. If I am not mistaken, a Sooner QB has never started an NFL game.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I heard that a year or so ago.

Yet still, he seems to have a bright future ahead of him.

I don't think schools have anything to do with whether or not a QB will succeed at the next level. I think it has everything to do with the QB himself, and what situation he is thrown in to at the pro level.

For those labeling Clausen as a bust before he even sets foot on a pro field for the lone reason that he went to Notre Dame are complete morons.

I'm not talking about this thread. I'm simply mentioning what I have heard from other places.

For the record, I wouldn't hate a Clausen pick, but I would rather have Bradford.

Pinkerton Security
02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Lets look at OU QB's in the pros while we're at it:

2001 - Josh Heupel - Won tons of awards in college, didnt even make an NFL team
1959 - Dave Baker - played DB in the NFL

I thought this was incorrect, but I looked all over and couldnt find anyone else. Sooo, I'd say ND QB's >>>>>> OU QB's

Beebe's Kid
02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I think its a waste of time to disqualify a player because the school hasnt had any recent success producing at that spot

Each player is different and each team, coach, situation was different.

How many good QB's has Miami of Ohio? Delaware? Purdue? Southern Mississippi? produced before they put a QB in the NFL that produced and havent since or before

Nothing against the original poster but its an asinine and very flawed logic at best and one I hope our GM never uses because you will miss out on a lot of talented players

Clausen is a polarizing player because he played at a school that people either love or hate. I personally could care less about ND because I'm an SEC fan that went to a major SEC school. I took upon myself to watch all the top rated QB's this past season because I knew the Bills would need one and I came away with the impression after watching every single snap of Clausens and all the other top QB prospects that he was by far the best one and its not even close. He has it all from a physical standpoint and the off the field stuff is slowly deteriorating every day as guys like John Tenuta, Brian Smith, and current NFL players like K.Bullock who Clausen has worked out with rave about the kids character. To me this is a no brainer if he's there at 9 you take him with zero hesitation

No offense taken, since I addressed this at the end of the post. I just thought it was interesting, and was wondering what others thought.

Quinn did play in the same system though, didn't he?

Beebe's Kid
02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
I think Clausen has the opportunity to succeed at the next level. He has physical tools, and confidence that won't get shaken as easily as say, a Trent Edwards.

It is Bradford however that will emerge as the better QB in my opinion.

It has nothing to do with what schools they go to. Look at Oklahoma. If I am not mistaken, a Sooner QB has never started an NFL game.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I heard that a year or so ago.

Yet still, he seems to have a bright future ahead of him.

I don't think schools have anything to do with whether or not a QB will succeed at the next level. I think it has everything to do with the QB himself, and what situation he is thrown in to at the pro level.

For those labeling Clausen as a bust before he even sets foot on a pro field for the lone reason that he went to Notre Dame are complete morons.

I'm not talking about this thread. I'm simply mentioning what I have heard from other places.

For the record, I wouldn't hate a Clausen pick, but I would rather have Bradford.

I agree with your assessment.

I thought it was ironic that the post I read elsewhere was mentioning "busts" and two big examples were Mirer and Quinn, then goes on to say we should grab Clausen.

I don't think the fact that JC went to ND will have anything to do with his not being a good NFL QB...that will be more due to the fact that this guy doesn't win. He seems like a little bit of a headcase, which we need like another small speedy LB.

I don't think that player's place of birth or college has a whole lot to do with their NFL career. Ok, so it realistically has nothing to do with it. Pure athletic talent, and the ability to do what it takes to win are mucho importante. I have always felt that confidence, not arrogance, is the most important quality in an NFL QB. If a player is athletic and smart, they can learn to play in any system. If they know how to win, they will not get rattled, and become scared. They will make the throws they know they can make, and do what they can to help a team win.

Bill Cody
02-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't think the fact that JC went to ND will have anything to do with his not being a good NFL QB...that will be more due to the fact that this guy doesn't win. He seems like a little bit of a headcase, which we need like another small speedy LB.

I don't think that player's place of birth or college has a whole lot to do with their NFL career. Ok, so it realistically has nothing to do with it.

I think this is wrong. I think where you went to school can be an important factor in a QB's chances for success, but there's a long list of issues to consider with every player. ND runs a pro style offense. That helps. Charlie Weiss can coach QB's. That helps. Do those things mean Clausen will succeed? No, but where would he be if he didn't have those advantages? Surely not being talked about as a top ten pick.

Playing NFL QB is really really hard. There are probably 10 failures for every success and that's among top prospects, 1st day picks. So you'd like to see your guy have not only physical tools but polished footwork, experience mostly taking snaps from center not from a shotgun, playing a pro offense as opposed to a spread or option. It reduces the bust potential. But still it wouldn't be hard to make a list of dozens of first round busts at QB and few of them went to ND.

All that being said I'm not really sold on Clausen. That thing Ingtar said about him always throwing to the right bothers me a lot. But if we did take I wouldn't feel like I did the day we drafted Losman that it was a wasted pick.

Bradford? He has the brains, he has the accuracy, he has the footwork. The big concern with him is health. If the shoulder is ok he's worth the 9th pick, even though he will have a major adjustment playing in the NFL vs sitting back in the rocking chair for 6 seconds behind the OU line. I would expect his first year to be mediocre at best. But if you bulked him up 20 pounds you might have something.

BillsWin
02-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Lets look at OU QB's in the pros while we're at it:

2001 - Josh Heupel - Won tons of awards in college, didnt even make an NFL team
1959 - Dave Baker - played DB in the NFL

I thought this was incorrect, but I looked all over and couldnt find anyone else. Sooo, I'd say ND QB's >>>>>> OU QB's

Thanks for the fact checking! :up:

Mudflap1
02-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Good point about OU QB's. However, I would be more inclined to take Bradford myself over Clausen. While Clausen put up good numbers this past year, I just don't see the total body of work with W's and L's. ND didn't have a signature win with Weis and Clausen. To me, that says something. It's not like Cutler at Vanderbilt, who was on a completely crappy team in a great conference. ND is supposed to have most of the best recruits, they have their own TV deal, they had a soft schedule, etc.

Bill Cody
02-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Good point about OU QB's. However, I would be more inclined to take Bradford myself over Clausen. While Clausen put up good numbers this past year, I just don't see the total body of work with W's and L's. ND didn't have a signature win with Weis and Clausen. To me, that says something. It's not like Cutler at Vanderbilt, who was on a completely crappy team in a great conference. ND is supposed to have most of the best recruits, they have their own TV deal, they had a soft schedule, etc.

To be fair ND's defense was a lot more to blame for their record than Clausen and the offense.

Pinkerton Security
02-17-2010, 03:00 PM

I agree with you, to me the school doesnt necessarily matter whatsoever...I guess bigger schools may be more likely to get guys with the physical attributes that can help someone succeed, but I think there are more than enough examples in the NFL of QBs that can excel no matter what school they went to.