PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Scenario

DesertFox24
02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Ok lets say this is the offseason signings we bring.

1. Tra Thomas - this guy would start for us for the next two years and let Bell, Meredith, and Butler battle it out for RT. This could give Bell the time to develop and potentially push Thomas in 2011. Thomas is a great character guy and a great mentor, even though he was cut last week he is still working with Monroe and Eben Britton.

2. Dwan Edwards DE from the raves he is young and will be available and at a decent rate.

3. Jarvis Green/Rob Meirer, both are about 6'5 and close to 300 pounds and could be decent DEs for us. This would give us 4 DEs and hopefully Kyle Williams will become a DT which leaves us with just one DT to get. That is predicated on Kyle gaining 10-15 pounds which is very manageable I would assume (dont know how hard he works to keep his weight were it is now so this could be impossible some guys just cant keep weight on, look at Mark Schlareth for ESPN).

This solution would immediately solve the two most pressing needs we have, a starter a LT, competition at RT, and better DL depth.

As most of you know I am huge fan of drafting the best available player no matter what, because you can look at the bills as the prime example of what drafting for need does for you 7-9 or worse every year. The Jags are another example with Reggie Nelson.

That being said he is the scenario, we sign the 3 FAs that I mentioned above.

On the board is Spiller, Clausen, Buluga. Spiller has the higher grade who do you take.

I take spiller because he has the higher grade and I would hate to pass on a Chris Johnson clone because we have two backs. We could use the three of them next year and then move Lynch or Jackson or just cut one.

Mahdi
02-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Ok lets say this is the offseason signings we bring.

1. Tra Thomas - this guy would start for us for the next two years and let Bell, Meredith, and Butler battle it out for RT. This could give Bell the time to develop and potentially push Thomas in 2011. Thomas is a great character guy and a great mentor, even though he was cut last week he is still working with Monroe and Eben Britton.

2. Dwan Edwards DE from the raves he is young and will be available and at a decent rate.

3. Jarvis Green/Rob Meirer, both are about 6'5 and close to 300 pounds and could be decent DEs for us. This would give us 4 DEs and hopefully Kyle Williams will become a DT which leaves us with just one DT to get. That is predicated on Kyle gaining 10-15 pounds which is very manageable I would assume (dont know how hard he works to keep his weight were it is now so this could be impossible some guys just cant keep weight on, look at Mark Schlareth for ESPN).

This solution would immediately solve the two most pressing needs we have, a starter a LT, competition at RT, and better DL depth.

As most of you know I am huge fan of drafting the best available player no matter what, because you can look at the bills as the prime example of what drafting for need does for you 7-9 or worse every year. The Jags are another example with Reggie Nelson.

That being said he is the scenario, we sign the 3 FAs that I mentioned above.

On the board is Spiller, Clausen, Buluga. Spiller has the higher grade who do you take.

I take spiller because he has the higher grade and I would hate to pass on a Chris Johnson clone because we have two backs. We could use the three of them next year and then move Lynch or Jackson or just cut one.
Dwan Edwards will not be had for a decent rate.

1. He was a Raven

2. He has experience in a 3-4 which many teams covet this offseason

3. There will be few unrestricted FAs of quality, he is one of them.

All that adds up to a hefty contract.

BillsFanCupp38
02-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Dexter McCluster could be available in later rounds... I love his speed and would make an excellent addition to Freddie. Trade lynch for more draft picks.

DesertFox24
02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Dwan Edwards will not be had for a decent rate.

1. He was a Raven

2. He has experience in a 3-4 which many teams covet this offseason

3. There will be few unrestricted FAs of quality, he is one of them.

All that adds up to a hefty contract.

True but I think we can get him. Especially if we cut Kelsay, and McCargo.