PDA

View Full Version : Edwards is going to be the starter.

HHURRICANE
02-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Take the emotion out of it. If the Bills run a normal training camp Edwards is going to win the job over Fitzpatrick or Brohm. That's a for sure.

So the only way he doesn't win the job is if we bring in a free agent, which doesn't look likely, or draft Clausen at #9.

The likely scenario is we draft for a new 3-4 scheme while re-building an o-line that was absolutely terrible last year. QB is a luxury at this point and with a looming lockout it is more likely that the Bills are not going to overspend on a QB.

I can tell you right now that Edwards starting is at least 60%.

shelby
02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
i believe it. i'm not happy about it, but i can see it happening.

:puke:

BillsWin
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Where have you been HH!? Haven't read one of your threads in a while. :up:

Typ0
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
No kidding. This team is pathetic. We'll be lucky to be 4 - 12 next season and the fans will just chalk it up to a new regime. Maybe it won't be that bad. At least they won't be running that dumb ass no huddle crap when they don't know what they are doing.

Night Train
02-16-2010, 04:50 PM
The only question is which Arena team he'll be starting for.

I got $5 on the Billings Beavers.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-16-2010, 04:53 PM
HH, only wants Edwards to start cause he believed in Trent and doesn't want to be wrong. He can't just say ooops guess I was wrong.

Unlike a lot of other people that thought Trent had it. I was one of those people too. But I am okay with being wrong, if he turns it around I'll be happy, If it is Brohm, another rookie, another QB that works too. He will root against whoever opposes Trent in preseason.

BillsWin
02-16-2010, 04:58 PM
On the Edwards topic, I think a QB battle would be the way to go. If Bradford or Clausen are not available at nine.

Don't give up any picks for a QB unless its Kolb. Kolb is a young QB who could come in and be "the guy". He is not a rookie, so he knows the pace of the game.

As for will Edwards win a battle against Brohm or Fitzpatrick. Maybe. He has skills, too bad he is too much of a pansy to use them.

Brohm is a former second round pick who was highly touted coming out of college. Maybe his decline and practice squad debacle was from him not being ready for the big leagues. Maybe he has potential. Maybe he doesn't. We won't know unless he gets a fair shot.

Fitzpatrick is a career backup, but got Edwards benched didn't he?

An open competition could bring out the best or worse of our current QB corps.

If they all suck epically, we draft a QB next season.

Michael82
02-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Not going to happen. Sorry...but this would be the hardest sell of all for Brandon. I think he'll be traded.

better days
02-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I doubt Trent starts. Trent could not oust Fitz last year. Why do you think he has gotten any better?

EDS
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
I doubt Trent starts. Trent could not oust Fitz last year. Why do you think he has gotten any better?

Fitz just isn't accurate enough. Edwards will look worlds better in practice/camp. Problem with Edwards is he is shell shocked. So he could self destruct in a game, which would give Fitz the edge.

Who knows really though.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Brohm will beat out Trent, bank on it.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-16-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm hoping Brohm is a good one

elltrain22
02-16-2010, 06:14 PM
If he is, I will :puke:

TacklingDummy
02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
HH, only wants Edwards to start cause he believed in Trent and doesn't want to be wrong. He can't just say ooops guess I was wrong.

HH was also a huge Losman supporter. That didn't stop him from changing his mind. It just took him awhile to come to the conclusion that SAB and myself thought of Losman. HH wasn't the only one that was high on JP that came around.

Dying_-2-_Live
02-16-2010, 06:24 PM
If someone is not signed via free agency or drafted very early... Edwards will start

DrGraves
02-16-2010, 06:35 PM
I hope Fitz, brohm, and trent all get cut. id rather go into camp with no QB than any of them.

baalworship
02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I have watched every Bills game since 1987 but at this point that would be the final straw. I will always be a Bills fan but I would just wait it out because I will not waste another 3 hours of my life on Trent Edwards.

DesertFox24
02-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Edwards has disappointed no doubt, but anyone that watched the games has to acknowledge he did not get much help from the OL and once Shouman went down he lost his quick outlet.

better days
02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Edwards has disappointed no doubt, but anyone that watched the games has to acknowledge he did not get much help from the OL and once Shouman went down he lost his quick outlet.

Fitz played behind the same line yet he was able to get the ball downfield to TO & Lee unlike Trent.

DesertFox24
02-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Fitz played behind the same line yet he was able to get the ball downfield to TO & Lee unlike Trent.

No doubt but still its not like we moved the ball consistently with any of them under center.

Edwards and Brohm are the more accurate passers on our team, but I still like Fitz as the backup.

Personally I want to draft Matt Nichols from Eastern Wash in round 5 or later and then let Brohm and Edwards compete. Winner wins the job and the loser is cut, with Fitz and Nichols as 2 and 3.

YardRat
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I think Brohm has a legitimate shot at beating out both Edwards and Fitzpatrick...Nix didn't hop on him ASAP just for something to do.

better days
02-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I think Brohm has a legitimate shot at beating out both Edwards and Fitzpatrick...Nix didn't hop on him ASAP just for something to do.

I agree. I think the only reason Trent is still here is Nix is trying to peddle him to some sucker.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-16-2010, 08:38 PM
I hope Fitz, brohm, and trent all get cut. id rather go into camp with no QB than any of them.

Why would anyone want Brohm to get cut? Especially before getting a chane in camp. He has only started in 1 game in his career. At worst he could be a backup or 3rd stringer.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-16-2010, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Trent turns it around, under Gailey. But he has to earn that by flat out beating Brohm or any other QB we bring in.

Typ0
02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I really don't care who the QB is as long as he makes the pro bowl.

JCBills
02-17-2010, 12:36 AM
It's going to take a major mental overhaul for Trent to be able to win games on sundays. He frustrates me more than any player on the roster, he showed so much promise early on, but he doesn't even look like the same player (in a terrible way) he did a year or two ago. I could hear it in his voice and his word selection in interviews, his melon was in shambles. IF he can get his **** together upstairs, he could be a pretty good QB, we've seen it at times.

That being said, I honestly think Brohm is head and shoulders a better QB than Edwards. They'll both have the same amount of time to learn the new offense, and I wouldn't be shocked if Brohm won the starting spot.

PECKERWOOD
02-17-2010, 02:01 AM
Fitz should be the starter next year if we keep all three QBs. I'm not exactly sure what people see in Brohm, he is not even a great backup.

Griff
02-17-2010, 02:52 AM
No kidding. This team is pathetic. We'll be lucky to be 4 - 12 next season and the fans will just chalk it up to a new regime. Maybe it won't be that bad. At least they won't be running that dumb ass no huddle crap when they don't know what they are doing.

and what you think Fitz is a better option? ROFL.

Griff
02-17-2010, 02:53 AM
Fitz should be the starter next year if we keep all three QBs. I'm not exactly sure what people see in Brohm, he is not even a great backup.
And what did you see in Fitz besides big balls and terrible accuracy?

Dr. Pepper
02-17-2010, 06:11 AM

every receiver on the field was a quick outlet for trent. find the guy with the shortest quickest route, throw, repeat.

Jan Reimers
02-17-2010, 06:21 AM
I'm not exactly sure what people see in Brohm, he is not even a great backup.
Is this based on Brohm's extensive body of work?

better days
02-17-2010, 07:53 AM
It's going to take a major mental overhaul for Trent to be able to win games on sundays. He frustrates me more than any player on the roster, he showed so much promise early on, but he doesn't even look like the same player (in a terrible way) he did a year or two ago. I could hear it in his voice and his word selection in interviews, his melon was in shambles. IF he can get his **** together upstairs, he could be a pretty good QB, we've seen it at times.

That being said, I honestly think Brohm is head and shoulders a better QB than Edwards. They'll both have the same amount of time to learn the new offense, and I wouldn't be shocked if Brohm won the starting spot.

Trent showed promise against bad teams before the opposition had film on him. A good team + Film on him= Trent looking like his true self.

mybills
02-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Not going to happen. Sorry...but this would be the hardest sell of all for Brandon. I think he'll be traded.
ditto

Oaf
02-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Unlike a lot of other people that thought Trent had it. I was one of those people too.

:scratch:

Ron Burgundy
02-17-2010, 09:15 AM

That's kind of exactly what he did, in fact. We needed a quarterback since ours were playing so poorly, and he was the best prospect we could acquire from a practice squad.

It's no big deal, we still need a quarterback and he'll get his shot. I'm just curious why everyone seems to be so high on him.

Mahdi
02-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Take the emotion out of it. If the Bills run a normal training camp Edwards is going to win the job over Fitzpatrick or Brohm. That's a for sure.

So the only way he doesn't win the job is if we bring in a free agent, which doesn't look likely, or draft Clausen at #9.

The likely scenario is we draft for a new 3-4 scheme while re-building an o-line that was absolutely terrible last year. QB is a luxury at this point and with a looming lockout it is more likely that the Bills are not going to overspend on a QB.

I think Brohm would beat out Edwards EASILY in an open competition.

Brohm puts better velocity on his passes, I like his release way better and he produced at a high level in college.

Even in the short time he played at the end of the season you could tell his arm is way better than Edwards' arm.

Beebe's Kid
02-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Brohm has the body of work that Nix spoke about.

He is a very intriguing option. It confuses me that some many people write him off...

Trent is horrible, as is reflected by his "body of work." Not successful in college, not successful in the pros. He is another failure on a long list of poor choices by Richard Jauron. He happens to play the highest profile position, that is the difference between him and the other "Dickie's kids."

To cling to hope of Trent turning it around, is the ultimate "Kool-Aid" people like to refer to. What would we base the fact that Trent can be an NFL QB on? His fast start in '08? That would be the same fast start that completely fell to **** after the concussion in AZ. After that there isn't even flashes of promise. A few completions to Schouman is nothing to hang the hat on.

I was a Trent supporter. I admit I was too quick to give up on Losman, and that I was wrong about Trent. Whatever, I am not an NFL HC or GM...so there's no egg on my face over it. I am a fan, and as a fan, I realize Trent is more of a liability at QB than an asset. Time to cut the line.

Mahdi
02-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Trent has been the same QB from the day he walked into OP to the day he suffered his second concussion.

His arm has always been average or worse, I have always hated his release, and his inability to make stick throws has always been there.

The only difference between the 2008 Trent and the 2009 Trent is that defenses figured out that his game had serious limitations. All you had to do defensively was flood the short zones and wait him out.

Result = sack or = INT or = 2-3 yard dump off

HHURRICANE
02-17-2010, 09:39 AM

Unlike a lot of other people that thought Trent had it. I was one of those people too. But I am okay with being wrong, if he turns it around I'll be happy, If it is Brohm, another rookie, another QB that works too. He will root against whoever opposes Trent in preseason.

Let's be clear I don't have some man crush on Edwards. He's been a disappointment but for me but it's mainly because of his pussy demeanor. Could you imagine Phillip Rivers getting yanked for the backup and not going nuts? Even Losman acted more pissed when he got pulled.

Edwards is the most talented QB on the team. That's not saying much but thats a fact. He's not going to lose a battle in camp to Fitzpatrick or Brohm and that was my point.

My real point is that I think Edwards will be the starter so all of this QB talk maybe for not.

I don't think he's the long term answer.

Mr. Pink
02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
The dude's confidence and psyche is shot. He hasn't been the same QB since the hit by Adrian Wilson.

patmoran2006
02-17-2010, 10:27 AM
I know what the Bflo News and Rochester D&C say.. but I think Edwards is done here

ParanoidAndroid
02-17-2010, 10:45 AM

He is one of the many who base their ideas on how they feel about something after looking at it superficially... like a really good TV police detective. I suppose that's something pretty acceptable when it comes to being a football fan, though.
I had a feeling Trent was going to be good...... oh, well.....

Griff
02-17-2010, 11:07 AM
The dude's confidence and psyche is shot. He hasn't been the same QB since the hit by Adrian Wilson.

lots of athletes lose their confidence and get it back.

JCBills
02-17-2010, 11:14 AM
That's kind of exactly what he did, in fact. We needed a quarterback since ours were playing so poorly, and he was the best prospect we could acquire from a practice squad.

It's no big deal, we still need a quarterback and he'll get his shot. I'm just curious why everyone seems to be so high on him.

Because how highly coveted he was coming out of college, in that aspect he's as good as any QB in the draft plus he has a few years in the league. I think with a full offseason he takes a step forward.

BuffaloRanger
02-17-2010, 11:33 AM
During this training camp battle will QBs be force to throw the ball to WRs? Throw 20 yards over the middle?

If so Trent is done. He hasn't made those throws in two years.

tampabay25690
02-17-2010, 11:38 AM

This might be the best thread you have written...
I agree with alot you said..

HHURRICANE
02-17-2010, 12:51 PM
I posted this is in another thread but for those who think Fitzpatrick is a better option:

Fitzpatrick has had 5 years in the league and averages 5.6 yards a completion with a 57% completion percentage and 67 QB rating. As a starter he's won 8 games and lost 16 games.

Edwards has had 3 years in the league and averages 6.7 yards a completion with a 62 % completion percentage and a 78 QB rating. As a starter he's won 14 games and lost 17 games.

Edwards also leads Fitzpatrick in every category including TD percentage, yards per game, etc., etc. etc.

You can't even use the argument that Fitzpatrick wins more games.

better days
02-17-2010, 01:01 PM

If Wilsons hit were the real cause of Trents problems, explain how maybe his best game as a Bill was the next game he played in after that hit.

better days
02-17-2010, 01:25 PM
I posted this is in another thread but for those who think Fitzpatrick is a better option:

Fitzpatrick has had 5 years in the league and averages 5.6 yards a completion with a 57% completion percentage and 67 QB rating. As a starter he's won 8 games and lost 16 games.

Edwards has had 3 years in the league and averages 6.7 yards a completion with a 62 % completion percentage and a 78 QB rating. As a starter he's won 14 games and lost 17 games.

Edwards also leads Fitzpatrick in every category including TD percentage, yards per game, etc., etc. etc.

You can't even use the argument that Fitzpatrick wins more games.

You conveniently neglect to point out that Trent put up those numbers against the worst teams in the league for the most part & none of his wins have come against a good team.

PECKERWOOD
02-17-2010, 02:12 PM

I don't know?

Let's compare notes:

- He was beat out by Matt Flynn in Green Bay.
- He is a former 2nd round pick who was cut by his team.
- He threw 2 interceptions in his only start last year and had a QB rating of 43.

What am I supposed to be impressed by?

JCBills
02-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't know?

Let's compare notes:

- He threw 2 interceptions in his only start last year and had a QB rating of 43.

T.O. could have easily adjusted to that ball and caught it, but he was checked out for the season.

Brohm had 1 week throwing to the starters and 5 weeks in the offense total.

I think saving money was a factor in Flynn over Brohm for GB. They have their franchise QB in Rodgers, do you pay 2nd round or 7th round money for your #2?

Also, plenty of great players have been cut early in their career, to name a few:

Wes Welker
James Harrison got cut 3 times.
Jack Kemp got cut 3 or 4 times.
Kurt Warner
Trent Green
Johnny Unitas

Ron Burgundy
02-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Because how highly coveted he was coming out of college, in that aspect he's as good as any QB in the draft plus he has a few years in the league. I think with a full offseason he takes a step forward.

I could care less about college stats and where he was drafted. There have been and will be bigger "name" busts than Brian Brohm.

Do you consider Matt Flynn to be better than Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick?

feldspar
02-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Trent is better than Fitzpatrick IMO, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. As things stand today, Trent is the best QB on this roster. In other words, picking up someone else would be nice. No reason to assume anything about Brohm...one would hope he turns out be a diamond in the rough, a real steal, but to project him as a starter for next year has everything to do with blind faith or desperation. Not to say that it can't or won't happen.

Changes are very great that we'll have to settle for someone that is less than ideal next year. If one of the two first round QBs fall to us, I hope it's Bradford. But it doesn't look like the Bills have a chance to pick up a franchise QB right now.

patmoran2006
02-17-2010, 04:12 PM
I have no idea if he's going to be any good or not, but I am very confident Brian Brohm will get a long, fair look from the Bills, ESPECIALLY if they don't pick up a big ticket QB.

HHURRICANE
02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
I have no idea if he's going to be any good or not, but I am very confident Brian Brohm will get a long, fair look from the Bills, ESPECIALLY if they don't pick up a big ticket QB.

I don't get the love for this guy. He's done nothing in this league and couldn't even make it as a 3rd stringer in Green Bay. The one game he played in this year was abysmal.

I'll bet money that he has a better shot at getting cut than being the starter.

I'm actually super confident that he doesn't make the 53 man roster.

Fitzpatrick is a decent backup. I have no beefs with him as the backup. He's not a starter and his 5 years in the league have proven that.

patmoran2006
02-17-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't get the love for this guy. He's done nothing in this league and couldn't even make it as a 3rd stringer in Green Bay. The one game he played in this year was abysmal.

Fitzpatrick is a decent backup. I have no beefs with him as the backup. He's not a starter and his 5 years in the league have proven that.

I don't consider it love, I consider it we don't have any "go to" QB's and for that reason alone he will get a long hard look.

And he was the third stringer in GB, we signed him off the practice squad.

I do get what you're saying and I am not confident he is the answer either, but he also hasn't had a complete fair shake either.

And I'm definitely not Super confident he wont be on the 53 man roster either.

JCBills
02-17-2010, 04:21 PM
I could care less about college stats and where he was drafted. There have been and will be bigger "name" busts than Brian Brohm.

Do you consider Matt Flynn to be better than Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick?

I haven't seen a lot of Flynn, I didn't watch many LSU games either. I did however watch a lot of Louisville games.

Aaron Rodgers had to ride the pine for years as a 1st rounder before developing, as well as many other top QBs.

All I'm saying is I think he deserves a fair shot in the new offense, I also think moving Wood to C could add an extra level of comfort for Brohm. Getting him and Butler back are huge, as well as having a year under their belt for the rookies.

Typ0
02-17-2010, 05:01 PM
I pretty much agree with your assessment but in all fairness he wasn't cut from the team he was placed on the practice squad.

I don't know?

Let's compare notes:

Typ0
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
It's because he's a complete unknown. That means every inch of hope hasn't been sucked out the situation with Brohm. It's a perfect fit for most Bills fans because they care more about clinging to hope than actual performance. Hope, hope, hope and when the the performance kills the hope it's time to move on to the next thing.

Thief
02-17-2010, 05:36 PM
I would think Brohm wins the open composition between our 3 stooges. And, I hope he surprises everyone.

JCBills
02-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I would think Brohm wins the open composition between our 3 stooges. And, I hope he surprises everyone.

This will probably happen, even if/when we sign some old scrub FA.

Typ0
02-17-2010, 06:16 PM
There isn't one bills fan on this entire message board that doesn't hope he surprises everyone. Having that hope and thinking he will beat everyone out based on nothing is a completely different thing though. I hope every QB we have surprises everyone plus the QBs we don't have come here and surprise everyone too. That doesn't mean it's going to happen. The powers that be have got to make the right decisions at the QB position and get good production there no matter who it is.

Typ0
02-17-2010, 06:28 PM
This also comes down to the hope factor. A lot of people liked JP because of the hope he promised. People want the excitement of the long ball and that was his hope. Unfortunately he made bad decision after bad decision on the field and was just not getting it. The process to move away from that hope included TE with his smart ball management game that was working hands and foot above what JP was doing. The excitement was perceived to be lost and TE not liked because he deposed JP. The hope was gone and it was a big issue.[

QUOTE=HHURRICANE]I posted this is in another thread but for those who think Fitzpatrick is a better option:

You can't even use the argument that Fitzpatrick wins more games.[/QUOTE]

Ron Burgundy
02-17-2010, 07:39 PM
I haven't seen a lot of Flynn, I didn't watch many LSU games either. I did however watch a lot of Louisville games.

Aaron Rodgers had to ride the pine for years as a 1st rounder before developing, as well as many other top QBs.

All I'm saying is I think he deserves a fair shot in the new offense, I also think moving Wood to C could add an extra level of comfort for Brohm. Getting him and Butler back are huge, as well as having a year under their belt for the rookies.

Well, that guy at LSU that you didn't watch is apparently better than Brohm. And Brian wasn't riding the pine...he was relegated to the practice squad.

But sure, Brohm deserves a fair shot. I mean, so did Gibram Hamden.

Typ0
02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Well, that guy at LSU that you didn't watch is apparently better than Brohm. And Brian wasn't riding the pine...he was relegated to the practice squad.

Yeah, getting tossed on the practice squad is not riding the pine. Talk about stretching it for hope.

JCBills
02-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Almost everyone I listed that was cut was on a practice squad excluding the old schoolers.

Ron Burgundy
02-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Almost everyone I listed that was cut was on a practice squad excluding the old schoolers.

Yeah, James Harrison and Wes Welker. The odds are looking terrific.

Somehow, I just don't see Brian Brohm being the next guy on the list.

The Natrix
02-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Edwards SUCKS. Especially in Buffalo. End of story.

Spiderweb
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm hoping Brohm is a good one

AFter watching Edwards rise and look so good to start 2008, only to disintehrate right before our eyes since, and the scatter-shot Fitzpatrick in 2009, one can only hope that Brohm will bring forth talent that made many believe in him after his Junior year at U of L.

Hope springs eternal during the offseason. I'll agree and hope Brohm clicks this year
in camp and becomes a good QB for us in the coming year. Rookie QB's rarely are difference makers. Flacco you say (was protected by a strong D and a solid run game). Sanchez you add? (same as Flacco). Some develop quickly, but it's generally more likely for a second or third year vet to step up and in......

starrymessenger
02-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Fitzpatrick has stones, brains, leadership and little in the way of skills.
Brohm will probably never transition successfully to the NFL, I regret to say, but he will get his look.
Trent may be salvagable. It will be interesting to see if Gailey can reverse his emotional ******ation.
Still want Claussen at #9, but I think Pete Carroll will be all over him.