PDA

View Full Version : Question about Clausen

Buddo
02-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Clausen is apparently not going to be doing drills at the combine due to the surgery he had on his right toe. Supposedly he was carrying this through last season, and it was diagnosed as 'turf toe'.
Now, I've watched little of Clausen, so this might be a more serious question than it first appears. Can any of you guys who has watched a lot of tape on him, tell me if he 'drags' his foot on the follow through motions, after throwing?
If he does, even occasionally, it might mean that he will get recurring toe problems, in which case, that would have to be a flag against taking him.
If he doesn't, then fair enough, there shouldn't be anything to worry about, providing the surgery heals properly.

X-Era
02-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Clausen is apparently not going to be doing drills at the combine due to the surgery he had on his right toe. Supposedly he was carrying this through last season, and it was diagnosed as 'turf toe'.
Now, I've watched little of Clausen, so this might be a more serious question than it first appears. Can any of you guys who has watched a lot of tape on him, tell me if he 'drags' his foot on the follow through motions, after throwing?
If he does, even occasionally, it might mean that he will get recurring toe problems, in which case, that would have to be a flag against taking him.
If he doesn't, then fair enough, there shouldn't be anything to worry about, providing the surgery heals properly.
The guy who watched footwork closely is Ingtar... he might be the best to answer that.

Ingtar33
02-17-2010, 01:36 AM
no.

his footwork and technique took a dive for the worse after the injury (he threw flat footed a lot more), but no.

Prior to the injury... he was doing nothing in particular that would make what amounts to an extreme hyper-extension of his big toe happen again. (that's really what turf toe is btw)

As to "dragging" his back foot... where did you hear that term? I can't even imagine what that would look like if a QB was trying to drag his back foot while throwing. I suppose throwing flat footed might look like you're dragging the back foot. but it's called throwing flat footed because that's precisely what you're doing. you're throwing with your back heel on the ground. sometimes its called throwing off your back foot... but you can throw flat footed and still take a step into the pass. it results in an ugly twist in your throwing motion, ankles and hips, but it can be done.

If you want to see what i'm talking about, watch how clausen throws in a game after he got hurt (navy's a good example, he threw a lot in that game). you'll notice a strange twist in his throwing motion (mostly in the legs) and that his right heel doesn't come off the ground on many of his passes.

However, look at a game prior to the injury... like his game against hawaii in the bowl game. his heel comes off the ground properly as he steps into those passes, the ugly twist is gone in the motion. Thats a healthy throwing motion, and a natural one.

But how throwing flat footed could cause turf toe? you've got me there. i don't see how that's possible.

Unless.. do you mean does he flip his foot so that it's pointed down while he drags his toe? I'm not sure how you could throw the football if you did that.. maybe if you made a big overstep you could pull it off. But no... Clausen takes a bigger step then you'd like to see on a number of his passes... but it's not SO massive an overstep that it would cause that type of motion in his foot

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 07:49 AM
I believe the turf toe happened on a scramble he had outside of the pocket, where his toes got planted into the ground and were dragged for a few yards.

Raptor
02-17-2010, 09:18 AM
He didnt have Turf Toe, he had two torn ligs in his big toe that he suffered in the Mich St game

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 10:54 AM
And he is not recovered and will not do drills at the combine which is going to hurt his stock, no word on if he'll be ready for his Pro Day or not yet.

Raptor
02-17-2010, 02:27 PM
And he is not recovered and will not do drills at the combine which is going to hurt his stock, no word on if he'll be ready for his Pro Day or not yet.

His agent has been saying early April

Translate agent talk to English= He'll be able to throw by Late May

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 03:22 PM
His agent has been saying early April

Translate agent talk to English= He'll be able to throw by Late May

His stock will suffer for it. Drafting a guy without being able to see him throw after surgery, is not good.

Buddo
02-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Ingtar - thanks for the response.
In all honesty, the association I made with 'dragging', is something that shouldn't happen. It was basically me being a bit dopey after a long day at work. It is a phenomenon that is far more likely to occur in a sport where the throwing is done on the run, and with deliberate speed involved, and your whole body is carrying momentum, e.g. say javelin throwers.

Ingtar33
02-17-2010, 09:13 PM
He didnt have Turf Toe, he had two torn ligs in his big toe that he suffered in the Mich St game

which is turf toe.

X-Era
02-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks Ing!!!

Ingtar33
02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
no problem.