PDA

View Full Version : David Carr

DesertFox24
02-17-2010, 07:23 AM
I would be willing to give David Carr a shot, the guy has the release, the arm, and the mobility to be good. Maybe sitting for 2 years will have healed him mentally and if we can get someone like Tra Thomas in I think this OL would at least be better than the ones he played behind in Houston.

Could be an option and this would allow us to cut Edwards or trade him. Then let Brohm and Carr battle it out.

Jan Reimers
02-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Carr is my favorite of the veteran QBs that will be available in free agency. He played pretty well as a five year starter for a very bad Houston expansion team, and his reputation suffered mightily because of the terrible O-line in front of him.

He had a 3,500+ yard season and another with a 68% completion rate, while being sacked mercilessly.

better days
02-17-2010, 07:45 AM
I would be for bringing him in.

Beebe's Kid
02-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Here, here.

Cast another vote for Carr. I like Carr way more than Vick, Pennington, Mark Vlasic, and any of the other names that have been thrown around here. I especially like it better than Bulger, but I think the only guy I would actually prefer Bulger over is Jack Trudeau.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2010, 07:56 AM
I would rather keep Edwards.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Here, here.

Cast another vote for Carr. I like Carr way more than Vick, Pennington, Mark Vlasic, and any of the other names that have been thrown around here. I especially like it better than Bulger, but I think the only guy I would actually prefer Bulger over is Jack Trudeau.
Bulger's career numbers are a HELL of a lot better than Carr's.

He is injury prone sure but I think Bulger is a much better QB.

I don't want either really. Draft a QB in round one and be done with this journey man talk.

don137
02-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Carr sucks not sure why people are so enamored with him. He is the king of dink and dunking. He makes Trent Edwards look like a long ball thrower.
His last starting job was in Carolina a few years ago. He sucked so bad they started Testeverde and a rookie (Moore)over him after he showed how bad he sucked.
Let's look at the games he started in 2007 for the Panthers:
Bucs wk 4: 19/41 155 yards 1TD 1 INT sacked 3 times
Saints wk 5: 10/17 119 yds 1TD 1 INT 1 sack
Colts wk 8: 16/25 103 yards 0 TD 0 INT 0 sacks
Titans wk 9: 15/27 107 yards 1TD 1 INT Sacked 7 times
Saints wk 12: 10/22 95 yards 0 TD 2 INT 1 sack

Yes the Panthers sucked that year but only won one game with Carr starting yet still finished 7-9. I think in all but one game averaged under one TD a game. Before you say the whole team sucked the teams scored a lot more when Testerverde, Moore and Delhomme were the QBs. He panics when under any pressure and is very inaccurate and the ball off.

Pinkerton Security
02-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Carr sucks not sure why people are so enamored with him. He is the king of dink and dunking. He makes Trent Edwards look like a long ball thrower.
His last starting job was in Carolina a few years ago. He sucked so bad they started Testeverde and a rookie (Moore)over him after he showed how bad he sucked.
Let's look at the games he started in 2007 for the Panthers:
Bucs wk 4: 19/41 155 yards 1TD 1 INT sacked 3 times
Saints wk 5: 10/17 119 yds 1TD 1 INT 1 sack
Colts wk 8: 16/25 103 yards 0 TD 0 INT 0 sacks
Titans wk 9: 15/27 107 yards 1TD 1 INT Sacked 7 times
Saints wk 12: 10/22 95 yards 0 TD 2 INT 1 sack

Yes the Panthers sucked that year but only won one game with Carr starting yet still finished 7-9. I think in all but one game averaged under one TD a game. Before you say the whole team sucked the teams scored a lot more when Testerverde, Moore and Delhomme were the QBs. He panics when under any pressure and is very inaccurate and the ball off.

I have to agree...he looked pretty good for the Giants, but that was 1) in garbage time and 2) behind one of the best blocking lines in the NFL. Id be fine with bringing him in but wouldnt want to give up much for him.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-17-2010, 09:36 AM
The one thing that attracts me about Carr is that I think Chan could design a good system around him.

Beebe's Kid
02-17-2010, 11:15 AM

I don't want either really. Draft a QB in round one and be done with this journey man talk.

I agree Bulger's numbers are much better...inheriting the "Greatest Show on Turf," was probably a reason for this. That was one of the best offenses ever. The expansion Texas offense was not so highly regarded.

Bulger has since gone in the tank. He is not only very similar to Edwards, being concussed and scared (not that you don't have a right to be,) but he is also older, and more expensive.

I admit, I may be quick to like Carr, but I see more potential in him. I think I am proverbially concussed from all of the poor QB play the last few years. Maybe Carr is a stretch, but I don't know that any of these guys will beat out Brohm anyway.

Brohm might have only played in the Atl game because Buddy told Fewell he would serve him his nuts for lunch if he got him hurt...that might be another stretch, but I can't relate to looking at Fitzy, Edwards, and Brohm and coming to the conclusion that Fitzy gave me the "best chance to win." That is solely based on the fact that he can't really throw a football. He is uber smart though, and I am sure he is a nice guy. Call me old fashioned, but I kind of like the QBs that can throw.

Thurm, I like Bradford in the 1st, but I am not high on Classen at all. I do like Lefeavour, but 1st is too high for him, and will he be there in the 2nd? If he is, is that still too high?

I agree the journeyman thing, as our choices are not so good.

JCBills
02-17-2010, 11:19 AM

That guarantees nothing though. Recent drafts should reflect that.

Even just this past season.....look at Matt Stafford - nobody had had WORSE rookie numbers and ended up good. Was anyone who isn't a Jets fan impressed with Sanchez? JaMarcus Russell was sure worth the pick.

justasportsfan
02-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Was anyone who isn't a Jets fan impressed with Sanchez?.
I was impressed with the way he played in the playoffs.

RockStar36
02-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't know why we need a weekly David Carr thread.

This guy is another J.P. Losman. But yeah, let's bring him in and guarantee ourselves another top 10 pick next April.

djjimkelly
02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't know why we need a weekly David Carr thread.

This guy is another J.P. Losman. But yeah, let's bring him in and guarantee ourselves another top 10 pick next April.

if we dont want a qb in draft id rather watch him start season instead of trent or fitz

all this being said him in here as insurance for brohm sign me up

Mr. Pink
02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
David Carr = Tim Couch

Both trash at the position.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
I agree Bulger's numbers are much better...inheriting the "Greatest Show on Turf," was probably a reason for this. That was one of the best offenses ever. The expansion Texas offense was not so highly regarded.

Bulger has since gone in the tank. He is not only very similar to Edwards, being concussed and scared (not that you don't have a right to be,) but he is also older, and more expensive.

I admit, I may be quick to like Carr, but I see more potential in him. I think I am proverbially concussed from all of the poor QB play the last few years. Maybe Carr is a stretch, but I don't know that any of these guys will beat out Brohm anyway.

Brohm might have only played in the Atl game because Buddy told Fewell he would serve him his nuts for lunch if he got him hurt...that might be another stretch, but I can't relate to looking at Fitzy, Edwards, and Brohm and coming to the conclusion that Fitzy gave me the "best chance to win." That is solely based on the fact that he can't really throw a football. He is uber smart though, and I am sure he is a nice guy. Call me old fashioned, but I kind of like the QBs that can throw.

Thurm, I like Bradford in the 1st, but I am not high on Classen at all. I do like Lefeavour, but 1st is too high for him, and will he be there in the 2nd? If he is, is that still too high?

I agree the journeyman thing, as our choices are not so good.
Good points! I pray Bradford falls to us.

RockStar36
02-17-2010, 12:33 PM
if we dont want a qb in draft id rather watch him start season instead of trent or fitz

all this being said him in here as insurance for brohm sign me up

How is Carr a better option than those two?

TacklingDummy
02-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Robosack, Losman...Carr? Sure why not, Buffalo could use another sack machine.

djjimkelly
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
How is Carr a better option than those two?

he has a better arm and i have to think all these stops the last few years has to have given him a much better perspective of what it is to be an nfl qb

and i truly think alot of his time in houston wasnt his fault

ZAZusmc03
02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
I personally would rather see brohm starting this season. We have seen what we have in fitz and Edwards and neither are starting caliber qbs. Although I do believe Carr has some potential that may have never has the chance to shine, I do not believe he is worth wasting a pick on. Let's see what brohm has this season and if he sucks then we can get what we need next season in free agency or the draft. But for now let's focus on a good draft for the lines and defense. A servicable qb will work for a season if our oline is solid and our defense is better.

better days
02-17-2010, 01:10 PM
I would rather keep Edwards.

Unless Chan & Buddy see on film that Trent can't be fixed, the Bills will keep him at least until Camp. Why not get Carr in here to compete with him & Brohm?

In my opinion the biggest mistake the Bills made last year was to not bring in a QB to compete with Trent in Camp.

RockStar36
02-17-2010, 01:17 PM
he has a better arm and i have to think all these stops the last few years has to have given him a much better perspective of what it is to be an nfl qb

and i truly think alot of his time in houston wasnt his fault

How could you possibly know that? You're just using wishful thinking now.

It's funny how time heals all wounds. Carr was pretty awful in Houston but just give it a few years and people tend to forget about it.

justasportsfan
02-17-2010, 01:18 PM
All I know is that Chan realizes the importance of a qb in a "qb driven" league. It will be addressed one way or another.

Whether it be from the draft or FA , Chan isn't going to want a Dilfer type of qb .

djjimkelly
02-17-2010, 06:22 PM
How could you possibly know that? You're just using wishful thinking now.

It's funny how time heals all wounds. Carr was pretty awful in Houston but just give it a few years and people tend to forget about it.

he was very hot and cold in houston i did watch him a fair bit there i'm a freak and always have 2-3 tvs going for betting :couch: on sundays.

ill say this between brohm carr edwards and fitzjunk

i want brohm starting id just rather have carr then the other 2 if we dont like brohm or some rook from this years draft

BuffaloBlitz83
02-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Do you remember how bad Carr was the last time he had a brutal OL? Welcome to Buffalo: Land of the unprotected QB's

better days
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Do you remember how bad Carr was the last time he had a brutal OL? Welcome to Buffalo: Land of the unprotected QB's

I think you like many others are living in the past. Dick has moved on to Philly, the Bills have a new HC & front office. When the season opens they will have an O line that is much better than last years.

Bert102176
02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I like Carr and deffinetly would bring him in and would go with Carr, Edwards and brohm for a camp battle.

PECKERWOOD
02-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Carr or Culpepper.

Beebe's Kid
02-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Carr or Culpepper.

I'll take the former every time.