X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Chasing the True Team Canada

Vancouver, British Columbia -- The Canadian Olympic team operates under a strict and simple class system. At ground level are the skiers, the curlers, the skaters, the snowboarders, the lugers, the bobsledders and anyone else who may happen to win a medal before Feb. 28.
    Above them is the real and true Team Canada, the one that has brought forth some of this country's greatest contributions to the world—things like rubber pucks, goalie masks, toothless grins and the mullet. We're talking, of course, about hockey.

It kindof reiterates what I heard on TV - that Sidney Crosby and the men's hockey team are being stalked by other Canadian athletes. Crosby can't even go out in the Olympic village.
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: Chasing the True Team Canada

I heard a few athletes saying they'd love to meet Crosby.

However, when it's athletes meeting athletes, I think the "stalker" level is lower. They share a common bond of being their to represent their country.
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Personally, since they let the pros in to play hockey the hockey event means nothing to me. I'll be happy if the US wins but I'd rather see the best amateurs go at it. That is what made 1980 so special...all of the victories (regardless which country) since the infusion of pros have been meaningless, imo.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• RockStar36
        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Ebenezer
        Personally, since they let the pros in to play hockey the hockey event means nothing to me. I'll be happy if the US wins but I'd rather see the best amateurs go at it. That is what made 1980 so special...all of the victories (regardless which country) since the infusion of pros have been meaningless, imo.
        Shouldn't the Olympics be about the world's best athletes performs on the biggest stage?

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
          Shouldn't the Olympics be about the world's best amateur athletes performs on the biggest stage?
          corrected.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
            • Feb 2005

That's what World Juniors are for.

I say let the best of the best go at it. There are 6 powerhouse teams - Canada, Russia, Sweden, USA, Czech, and Finland. The talent wouldn't be there if 'pros' weren't allowed to play. And really, there have always been pros playing in the Olympics. Just because there weren't NHLers previously, doesn't mean there weren't pros.

Anyone who appreciates great hockey enjoys watching these games right now.
            Last edited by DMBcrew36; 02-17-2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• RockStar36
              • Sep 2004

corrected.
              So you're telling me every other Olympic event is strictly between amateurs?

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                So you're telling me every other Olympic event is strictly between amateurs?

let's not even start...I know that the other athletes get funds, sponsers, blah, blah, blah...but there is no professional Luge league that pays them.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                  • Feb 2005

let's not even start...I know that the other athletes get funds, sponsers, blah, blah, blah...but there is no professional Luge league that pays them.
                  You and Cleve apparently don't appreciate hockey played at the highest level possible. You guys are too busy whining about things that have nothing to do with the actual hockey being played.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                    You and Cleve apparently don't appreciate hockey played at the highest level possible. You guys are too busy whining about things that have nothing to do with the actual hockey being played.

Have all the World Cups of Hockey and International Championships (held in May) that you want. I think I am old enough to appreciate good hockey. Are you saying that Olympic hockey between amateurs would suck? I suggest you watch tape of the 1980 games.

Comment

• RockStar36
                      • Sep 2004

Money is money.

Ryan Miller gets paid by the Sabres.

Shaun White is sponsored by Burton Snowboards, AC Retro, as well as Oakley, Birdhouse, Park City Resort, Target, Red Bull, Adio, and HP. (Thanks Wikipedia).

White also has his own video game.

What exactly is the difference here? Once you're getting money to be an athlete, I would consider them professionals.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

corrected.
                        Most of the athletes that participate are professionals and a bunch of them make at least $1 million per year.

Our list looks at earnings derived from prize money, endorsements, licensing income and bonuses for the 2009 calendar year.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

I found one more thing for you...

As of 2004, the only sport in which no professionals compete is boxing, although even this requires a definition of amateurism based on fight rules rather than on payment, as some boxers receive cash prizes from their National Olympic Committees.

Comment

• The Spaz
                            • Mar 2003

Correct me if I am wrong but I think a lot of this started with Olympic Basketball when European players in the NBA were being used by other countries in the Olympics. Hence why we started the "Dream Team". I'm sure there is more to this but this was one reason.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Not exactly but they do go on tour like the PGA Tour. Then they have the world cups annually. So while there may not be an NHL style league there is some kind loose organization.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X