PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Bryan Bulaga

patmoran2006
02-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Bryan Bulaga (OT)-Iowa
6’6, 312lbs

Strengths:
Bulaga is my number two offensive tackle in this draft, though following his sophomore year he was regarded by many to be tops in the nation. He’s a sound technical player who demonstrates consistent footwork, hand placement and use of leverage to neutralize some of the best pass rushers in this country.

In the Orange Bowl Bulaga was matched up against one of the top rated defensive ends in the country in Derrick Morgan, and absolutely stone walled the Georgia Tech prospect. He dominated Morgan for most of the night and answered many critics who had lingering questions about his all-around game. He’s significantly improved his strength and when coupled with his mammoth size and wingspan, it renders defenders nearly hopeless to run around.

Bulaga is probably the finest pass protector in this draft. He has great lateral quickness he uses against the speed rushers and uses a low center of gravity to anchor against the bull rush. He uses his long arms to deliver a punch and get his hands on pass rushers. When that happens its game over as he’ll control the rush and not allow you to get away until it’s too late.

Finally his work ethic is unquestioned. He’s a true student of the game and not only did he come back from a serious medical scare but also worked diligently to improve his run blocking. It was on display this season as he was more fit and able to get to the second level more often to make plays for his running backs.

Weaknesses:
Bulaga had a thyroid condition coming into his junior year which required him to miss time early on while doctors worked on the illness. He was treated and given a clean bill of health to return for the fourth game of the season, but it took a little while for him to get back to full strength. There’s not much known medically about how football could affect his condition and because of that he will have to pass a battery of medical exams before a NFL team would risk a high pick on him.

He also needs to continue working on his run blocking as he’s not as sound in that area as his pass protection, particularly when it comes to identifying targets on the second level or working in space if he kicks out or pulls to lead the sweep. If he can improve in those areas he could be an elite franchise left tackle in the NFL.

How he fits the Bills:
Bulaga could be the Bills future franchise left tackle sitting on the board with the ninth pick. His value right now falls in the 10-15 range, so the pick would hardly be considered a reach.

Buffalo can potentially finish their starting offensive line off for the next seven or so years with Bulaga on board. You have a pair of second year players (Eric Wood, Andy Levitre) with solid potential at the guard spots, right tackle is ok with a healthy Brad Butler, and Geoff Hangartner looks like veteran leader at center.

To be able to have a line that can grow together, develop and most importantly stay together is something every NFL team covets. Buffalo should take advantage of the opportunity.

Projection: Top 15 Pick

(By Matt Edler, AKA DraftBoy)

k-oneputt
02-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Charlie Casserly stated he has short arms and it was a concern. So which is it ?

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Charlie Casserly stated he has short arms and it was a concern. So which is it ?

Short arms can be a concern but with the right technique they can be over come. Its not a huge red flag of any kind and Bulaga is the most technical OT in the draft. So suffice it to say its not a worry to me in any way.

k-oneputt
02-17-2010, 10:41 AM
It's a concern for a left tackle.

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Not if you have good enough technique, and footwork.

For example Micheal Oher had 33.5 inches of reach, while Andre Smith had 35.5 whose the better OT?

Is it a concern? Yes everything is, but its easily overcome if you are a technician and can use angles, footwork balance, and other things to over come a few inches.

Ed
02-17-2010, 11:52 AM
If the guy is 6'6, how short can his arms really be?

And even if they are short for his height, all you have to do is re-watch the orange bowl to know that they guy can flat out play.

k-oneputt
02-17-2010, 01:54 PM
He wouldn't be my 1st choice at #9 but I wouldn't be upset if he was the pick. If he is the pick though he at better be able to handle left tackle.

PECKERWOOD
02-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Just look at Bulaga's face, it looks like a crushed beer can, he would fit in perfectly with Wood, Levitre & Butler.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/bulaga.jpg

psubills62
02-17-2010, 03:32 PM

Tell Michael Roos that.

X-Era
02-17-2010, 05:01 PM
He wouldn't be my 1st choice at #9 but I wouldn't be upset if he was the pick. If he is the pick though he at better be able to handle left tackle.

That hit it on the head. Id rather have Okung or even Davis, but wouldn't be unhappy with him.

Raptor
02-18-2010, 09:50 AM
He's on sirius right now

-Says he will play either side or Guard
-Says run blocking is his strong point and needs to work on his pass protection and thats what teams/scouts/coaches are telling him
-Thinks Thyroid will check out fine at combine
-Bear fan
-Likes cold weather
-Likes smash mouth style
-Will do all the skills at combine

Ed
02-19-2010, 12:15 PM
He's on sirius right now

-Says he will play either side or Guard
-Says run blocking is his strong point and needs to work on his pass protection and thats what teams/scouts/coaches are telling him
-Thinks Thyroid will check out fine at combine
-Bear fan
-Likes cold weather
-Likes smash mouth style
-Will do all the skills at combine
What's the issue with his thyroid?

Sounds like a perfect fit in Buffalo.

DraftBoy
02-19-2010, 01:58 PM
What's the issue with his thyroid?

Sounds like a perfect fit in Buffalo.

Had issue with it earlier this year that made him miss time, docs say its clear now but no idea how it affects him the rest of his life.

The Spaz
02-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I'll take Okung or Bulaga at LT. I do not want any part of Davis.