PDA

View Full Version : Give him another shot.

Chewytie
02-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Okay, just my opinion.

I think because Trent Edwards was drafted in the Jaroun era (and I believe he was ruined by that) I feel like everyone should lay off of him until training camp happens. The Bills shouldn't draft a QB early in the draft. they need the LT and they need to start building a formidable 3-4 defensive scheme. Let Trent run the offense that Chan is going to call. They are most likely going Pistol (correct me if I'm wrong) which I think will give Trent a better opportunity to be the quarterback that we all knew he could be 2+ years ago.

It makes no sense to take another quarterback when we have one who is broken but fixable. A quarterback is only as good as his coach.

JCBills
02-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Okay, just my opinion.

I think because Trent Edwards was drafted in the Jaroun era (and I believe he was ruined by that) I feel like everyone should lay off of him until training camp happens. The Bills shouldn't draft a QB early in the draft. they need the LT and they need to start building a formidable 3-4 defensive scheme. Let Trent run the offense that Chan is going to call. They are most likely going Pistol (correct me if I'm wrong) which I think will give Trent a better opportunity to be the quarterback that we all knew he could be 2+ years ago.

It makes no sense to take another quarterback when we have one who is broken but fixable. A quarterback is only as good as his coach.

Much rather see them give Brohm a chance with actual time to learn the offense.

Chewytie
02-17-2010, 11:30 AM

I'm not saying Trent should start, I'm saying we should play with the cards we got. let it come down to Brohm and Edwards in training camp. I whole-heatedly believe both of them could be great QB's

justasportsfan
02-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Okay, just my opinion.

Brohm, Trent and Fitz will get their shot and are being assessed by the coaches.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Bills-Focus-The-Quarterback-Quandary/646ac88b-603d-4f11-a625-1de73fe934b8

BuffaloRanger
02-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Fitzpatrick is better than Trent. And that isn't saying much.

Jan Reimers
We need options other than Trent, Fitz and Brohm going into the season. Trent and Fitz have not done the job, and Brohm is an unknown. I don't want to draft a QB, because this year's class seems weak.

I think a vet FA would be the best bet for 2010.

JCBills
I'm not saying Trent should start, I'm saying we should play with the cards we got. let it come down to Brohm and Edwards in training camp. I whole-heatedly believe both of them could be great QB's

I just think Trent's egg has cracked.

Brohm is a superior QB, he actually produced and won in college.

I'm not big on a 1st round QB either, but I'm also that way with OT, I honestly think Jamon Meredith can be a very good NFL LT. I'd like to see us draft D-heavy.

Mahdi
02-17-2010, 11:34 AM
If it was about him just re-gaining confidence and turning things around I would say absolutely give him another shot.

But the guy simply lacks QB talent and tangible QB characteristics.

As for the intangibles, I never felt like he was a Commander out there. More like a Private just going about his job.

JCBills
02-17-2010, 11:36 AM
He lost the support of his teammates.

Give Brohm his shot.

justasportsfan
02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I liked Trent until he bought in to Dicks play not to lose philosophy. Maybe Chan can find his mojo, I'm just not sure if Trent has the consistent arm for WNY weather.

Chewytie
02-17-2010, 11:40 AM
At least you all understand where I'm coming from, I will be a very happy bills fan If we draft well this year. And by draft well I mean, get the players we NEED not just BPA and overrated skill positions. Build it from the trenches.

TigerJ
02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree in that I think Jauron ruined Edwards. Whether his fixable or not is a coaching decision. Like others, I think he'll get his shot, but I think an open competion is preferable at this point than simply naming Edwards as starter. I also agree that drafting a QB in round one is probably not the best strategy for the Bills in this draft, in part because there are so many other areas of need on the team, and in part because the top two QBs in the draft both have warts that make them somewhat less than a sure thing. If you're going to draft a QB high, you want to get as close to a sure thing as you can. I'm not sure that the warts on say Tony Pike, Colt McCoy, Dan Lefevour, and Mike Kafka are that much worse than what we see in Clausen and Bradford.

Typ0
02-17-2010, 12:05 PM
While Jaurons system might have gotten in the way of Edwards success it did not ruin him. TE is a big boy if he's ruined it's his own problem. Nobody on the roster has proven squat and neither has any rookie. We need a capable vet on this roster or everyone managing this organization is a blow hard idiot.

HHURRICANE
02-17-2010, 12:46 PM

Simply not true:

Fitzpatrick has had 5 years in the league and averages 5.6 yards a completion with a 57% completion percentage and 67 QB rating. As a starter he's won 8 games and lost 16 games.

Edwards has had 3 years in the league and averages 6.7 yards a completion with a 62 % completion percentage and a 78 QB rating. As a starter he's won 14 games and lost 17 games.

Edwards also leads Fitzpatrick in every category including TD percentage, yards per game, etc., etc. etc.

If the argument is to put the guy out there who wins more games that would be Edwards.

Night Train
02-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't have anything personal towards Trentative. It's just my belief that ever since the hit against the Cardinals in 2008, He stopped progressing through his reads and plays scared. The WR's might as well stay on the bench.

He almost seems relieved to run off the field, prior to a Moorman punt.

His act is played. Turn the page.

better days
02-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Simply not true:

Fitzpatrick has had 5 years in the league and averages 5.6 yards a completion with a 57% completion percentage and 67 QB rating. As a starter he's won 8 games and lost 16 games.

Edwards has had 3 years in the league and averages 6.7 yards a completion with a 62 % completion percentage and a 78 QB rating. As a starter he's won 14 games and lost 17 games.

Edwards also leads Fitzpatrick in every category including TD percentage, yards per game, etc., etc. etc.

If the argument is to put the guy out there who wins more games that would be Edwards.

Name me ONE GOOD team on defense that Trent has won against. His wins are all against the bad teams. The year he & JP were going back & forth, JP started against ALL the good teams & Trent ALL the bad teams.

Beebe's Kid
02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
One more chance?

Stop, please. If you were an ardent Trent supporter, it's okay. I was once, too. I found myself saying that he was a real NFL QB, and he was the QB that would lead us out of dark ages, back to the glory. I spoke highly of his IQ, and his ability to avoid mistakes and other such things that have been absent since the, now infamous, AZ incident.

Trent has shown not even one flash of brilliance since then. It has been all bad. The drubbing of KC last year was a joke, and if we have to count that, I would give that to you, as the scales are still tipped heavily in the direction of failure.

The Tennessee game is when I finally had enough of Trent. He gave up. The team had pretty much, already, given up on him, but that was Trent's Last Stand.

That is saying a lot for my support, if I somehow hung in there after the Cleveland debacle, which was followed with the "I'm not a fan" comments.

I appreciate it when a fan wants to see one of "our guys" do well. I am a homer like that myself. I like Whitner, Poz, Lynch et al, but I have screamed at the TV, or in unison with 73,000 of my closest friends, for the last time. He has given me my last case of heartburn.

The feelings that many fans, and almost all players, possibly except Hamden, have towards TE are not going to bode well for his future. A QB with no support from the team will not fit into the "tight ship" philosophy, which I feel Nix/Gailey and Co. are going to want to have in place. It doesn't help his case that his is below average as a QB.

It is ok to let go. You'll feel better once you have. We don't need to play the abused wife with this guy any more. We must seek our independence and move on. It could be an A&E mini-series. "**** QB's and the Fans That Refuse to Give Up on Them," every Sunday at 1:00.

Joe Fo Sho
02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Simply not true:

Yeah, but he's boring as f***.

Kenny
02-17-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't have anything personal towards Trentative. It's just my belief that ever since the hit against the Cardinals in 2008, He stopped progressing through his reads and plays scared. The WR's might as well stay on the bench.

He almost seems relieved to run off the field, prior to a Moorman punt.

His act is played. Turn the page.

Never did like Trent.

We went on a tear to start the season, and everyone was on a high, even though we only beat the bottom feeders of the league. And despite beating the crappy teams, Trent never looked good until the 4th quarter for some reason.
He struggled against the Seahawks, Raiders, Rams, etc... But we won right? And who wants to argue with a win?

And then we faced the Cards. We got our asses handed to us, and Trent took a big hit. And some people around here say that after that hit, he's never been the same. But I'd argue that he was never that good to begin with.

To be honest, -I dont really care who starts at QB. We need to make this a tough blue collar team. Strengthen the lines, solidify the defense, and play smashmouth football.

SirMcGee
02-17-2010, 11:06 PM

How is Fitzpatrick better than Trent?

Edwards has a better completion percentage. Better yds per pass average. Better rating. And less turnovers.

The Natrix
02-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Why should Edwards get another shot? Who cares if he looks good in camp and preseason? He has poor field presence and too weak an arm to make the throws through the Orchard Park winds on a consistent basis. Once the televised bullets fly he'll fold, get hurt, or both. Send the nancy boy back to the Cali ocean.

jamze132
02-18-2010, 12:46 AM
The only way I would let Edwards take the snaps is if he clearly beats out Brohm in training camp.

And I wouldn't take a QB in the first 3 rounds of this draft as I would be focusing on both sides of the line.

If we can find a servicable cheap vet through FA, great, but I would not break the bank for any QB until we find out what we have in Brohm.

jonah7777
02-18-2010, 06:54 AM
trent needs to be released

HHURRICANE
02-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Trent has struggled and I'm not sure he has anything less. But to throw Fitzpatrick and Brohm out there as better is just factually not correct.

DynaPaul
02-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Honestly of all of the QBs on our roster, none of them are the answer. So what does it matter? Whoever wins in training camp this summer can have the job for the year until we find a better QB next year.

Mahdi
02-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Trent has struggled and I'm not sure he has anything less. But to throw Fitzpatrick and Brohm out there as better is just factually not correct.
In terms of college prospects, Brohm is way better than Edwards. All Edwards has done was prove that he is not an NFL starter.

djjimkelly
02-18-2010, 01:09 PM
We need options other than Trent, Fitz and Brohm going into the season. Trent and Fitz have not done the job, and Brohm is an unknown. I don't want to draft a QB, because this year's class seems weak.

I think a vet FA would be the best bet for 2010.

just to be devils advocate aaron rodgers dropped in 1st in a weak qb draft and id take him as a 1st rounder anyday sadly no one knows if the qb class is strong or weak.

id take rodgers over eli manning rothlesberger maybe not rivers but strong or weak shouldnt mean much is he gonna perform the bills is all that matters to me