PDA

View Full Version : To those of you who want to trade Lynch

ChanGailey
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Personally, I'm against it. And I'm not going to get into the Lynch side of it. I'm not going to argue that his value is at an all time low or that he's only 23 with 2 1000 yard seasons under his belt, and no major injuries.

I'm not going to even mention that he's certainly one of our 5 best players.

I'm not going to mention that Fred is 29 years old and barely broke 1000 yards with a stellar week 17 against the Colts practice squad.

Let's look at the RB's we would have a solid chance at to replace him.

Chester Taylor is old. Don't give me the low mileage nonsense. Why aren't there any 30 plus running backs with low miles running the ball? Its about an age thing, not necessarily a mileage thing.

Willie Parker is a fumble factory. He is horrible and not half the player Lynch is. His main asset was speed and he's lost a lot of it. He's not even durable. He wouldn't make our roster, he'd be Dominic Rhodes'd.

So look to the draft. Your nuts if you think we can spare our top 3 picks on this, and the consensus odds on compensation is a 3rd round pick, either from Philly or San Diego. Look at the RB's that will be available in the bottom of round 3, according to Walter Football who I feel knows his stuff.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010RB.php

Hardly an impressive running back crop. Their all either Freds size or their oversized fullback types. Personally, I'm not even particularly impressed with Gerharts athleticism. He seems slow and not very quick. He's a product of a power running college system. How many of these guys have we seen flame out?

Lynch is a guy who's only 23 and has 2 good NFL seasons under his belt. He's set to make $800K. The fact is, he's the best, cheapest RB option we have, all things considered.

If you just want him gone because you don't like him as a person, then cite that as a reason. There is no football sense in moving him.

You need 3 running backs. We have 2.

If you look at his game log this past season, you see he wasn't all that ineffective. You can coincide bad games with major line injuries. Not that our line was great to begin with.

You don't ditch a guy who's giving you solid seasons 66% of the time.

*Ha, I said I was going to say that. Sorry, I just can't ignore the obvious information.

Prov401
02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
I'd be pissed if we traded Lynch.

I really believe behind the right O-Line...Lynch and Jackson can be the best 1-2 combo in the NFL.

patmoran2006
02-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Personally, I'm against it. And I'm not going to get into the Lynch side of it. I'm not going to argue that his value is at an all time low or that he's only 23 with 2 1000 yard seasons under his belt, and no major injuries.

I'm not going to mention that Fred is 29 years old and barely broke 1000 yards with a stellar week 17 against the Colts practice squad.

Chester Taylor is old. Don't give me the low mileage nonsense. Why aren't there any 30 plus running backs with low miles running the ball? Its about an age thing, not necessarily a mileage thing.

Willie Parker is a fumble factory. He is horrible and not half the player Lynch is. His main asset was speed and he's lost a lot of it. He's not even durable. He wouldn't make our roster, he'd be Dominic Rhodes'd.

So look to the draft. Your nuts if you think we can spare our top 3 picks on this, and the consensus odds on compensation is a 3rd round pick, either from Philly or San Diego. Look at the RB's that will be available in the bottom of round 3, according to Walter Football who I feel knows his stuff.

Hardly an impressive running back crop. Their all either Freds size or their oversized fullback types. Personally, I'm not even particularly impressed with Gerharts athleticism. He seems slow and not very quick. He's a product of a power running college system. How many of these guys have we seen flame out?

Lynch is a guy who's only 23 and has 2 good NFL seasons under his belt. He's set to make $800K. The fact is, he's the best, cheapest RB option we have, all things considered.

If you just want him gone because you don't like him as a person, then cite that as a reason. There is no football sense in moving him.

If you look at his game log this past season, you see he wasn't all that ineffective. You can coincide bad games with major line injuries. Not that our line was great to begin with.

*Ha, I said I was going to say that. Sorry, I just can't ignore the obvious information.

I have no problem listening to your opinion or anyone else's. We're all entitled to them.

1. He's been surpassed by Fred Jackson the depth chart and by all accounts didn't handle it well. It was fairly obvious to anybody that he looked disinterested and ran with far less "passion" than his first two years. Some players handle backup/platoon roles (like say a Chester Taylor) and some don't. To me, Lynch looks like the kind of back who needs the ball 20-25 times per game and that's not going to happen with Jackson in tow. Not every player can be a solid backup, and I think Lynch falls into that category.

2. I couldn't begin to disagree with you more that he's one of the top five players on this team. Just off the top of my head: Fred Jackson, Jairus Byrd, Drayton Florence, Lee Evans and Brian Moorman come to mind. And I'm not including guys who have big upside like Wood, Poz and Levitre. George Wilson is a warrior too who produced when he finally got a chance to start.

3. If the Bills are going to trade him, this is the season to do it. Biggest reason is he has TWO years left on his deal. If they waited until next year, a team would then not only have to surrender a good pick, but be willing to extend him before a deal was made (like Baltimore did with McGahee). His value is as high as its going to get now.

4. As far as his numbers last year, he only averaged 3.8 yards per carry, and 82 of his 450 total rushing yards came on just two carries, one of which went completely untouched. Take away two carries and his season average is 3.18

5. I admit to not liking him as a person, in fact I think he's a douche bag who's ignorant to a lot of people. But even that aside, you can't brush off the fact that he's one strike away from getting into MAJOR trouble-- and given the way he conducts himself are you going to bet he suddenly decides to keep his nose clean and stray away from bad crowds? I don't.

HHURRICANE
02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
I actually think that Lynch is a victim of bad coaching and horrible line play. I think Jackson is faster to the hole and a better runner but Lynch could be extremely effective on this team.

I also think Lynch is not the scumbag that everyone here thinks he is. Is he an immature idiot that needs to lose some of street background? Yes. Do i think he can turn into a good football player? Yes.

If you aren't sure look what happened to Anthony Hargrove when he was coached properly.

BillsOwnAll
02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
4. As far as his numbers last year, he only averaged 3.8 yards per carry, and 82 of his 450 total rushing yards came on just two carries, one of which went completely untouched. Take away two carries and his season average is 3.18

I agree with some things you say and some you dont. But SOME people on this board like to play this game. You cant take away his 2 biggest plays. Why would you do that? How come you didnt take away his 2 worst ones? He earned those yards. He had the vision to see the hole then hit it and had to speed to get through it. Hes not going to run through someone every 30 yard run, no running back does that. 3.8 is a healthy average behind a sub par line.

That said, I personally think we need him. Ya hes trouble off the field. But we need two quality backs. Id say draft one in a late round and stick him behind freddy and marshawn and hope he learns and devolpes because we need marshawn now but not long term.

Ebenezer
02-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Running backs are a common commodity...trade him and draft another.

patmoran2006
02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Bottom line is Fred Jackson is the starter, Lynch didnt look like a player interested in 5-10 carries per game, and he has current value, so if you're going to trade him, this is the year to do it.

alohabillsfan
02-17-2010, 04:59 PM
trade him, RB are a dime a dozen

ChanGailey
02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Its just funny people would prefer cromartie, who olays runners and has a travis henry like army of illegit kids spanning 5 states.

Lynch runs hard. He was always first to show fred love. 29 year old rbs tend to get hurt. So if fred goes down you want a 3rd round rookie touching the ball 20 times a game?

Not me.

ChanGailey
02-17-2010, 05:22 PM
The rb gets hit the most. We of all people know that players wind up on injured reserve. You all complain about how the team won't add depth, and then want to trade away all of your rb depth.

And I would hardly crown fred as an nfl starter. He's 29, certainly not top 15. So why get rid of a guy who finished in the top 4 in the afc only 1 season ago?

BuffaloBlitz83
02-17-2010, 05:33 PM
He's not getting traded. You can't trade him now at his lowest value. The best you could get now is a 4th or 5th with his bad season and off field issues. Teams would prefer to use a 1, 2, or 3 on a younger rb with less miles and cleaner nose.

Mr. Pink
02-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Personally I'd trade him for a 4th.

He's a distraction, doesn't seem to like being the second fiddle and will walk away for nothing in 2 years.

Right now he really adds ZERO value to the team in the backup role.

A 4th round pick may add value.

Easy call in my opinion.

TacklingDummy
02-17-2010, 07:46 PM
trade him, RB are a dime a dozen
RB like Lynch are a dime a dozen, then there are elite backs like AP and Chris Johnson, who the Bills could have drafted.

Night Train
02-17-2010, 08:06 PM
If the player you speak of is not the front line starter, he's expendable.

Lynch is 1 strike away from a 1 year suspension and still has a penchant for swiping $20 bills and doing bongs.

I was happy when we drafted him but his limited brain obviously never left the hood.

Now that Fred Jackson has surpassed him, I can see a new coach wanting a clean locker room and backup RB's are usually very easy to find between now and camp.

Stay tuned.

ChanGailey
02-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Fred gets injured.

Then you have either a 3rd or 4th round rooking starting or Willie Parker.

Boldin was a distraction in Arizona, but he was signed cheap and was worth keeping. The same with Lynch. Again, if he had a huge cap number, then his trouble or whatever could be a risk. But he's got salary numbers less, probably less than what a 3rd rounder would take his first season.

Based on value, need, current holes, the market...Everything considered. It's stupid to trade him.

SirMcGee
02-17-2010, 11:33 PM

You can look up all the Walterfootball.com sites you want but this year's RB class is EXTREMELY...EXTREMELY underrated.

If you've ever watched college football and if you've seen Ryan Mathews, LeGarrette Blount, Charles Scott, and Hardesty play. Then you'd know what I'm talking about. Ryan Mathews is by far one of the most underrated PLAYERS in this year's draft. Yes...not RB. PLAYER. This dude can flat out play.

RB's are a dime a dozen. You can get great RB's in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounds. EASILY. Names like Ray Rice, Matt Forte, Kevin Smith, Shonn Greene, Lesean McCoy, Glen Coffee, Steve Slaton, Jamaal Charles, Tim Hightower, Ahmad Bradshaw, Maurice Jones Drew, Frank Gore, Darren Sproles, Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Michael Turner, Brian Westbrook, Pierre Thomas, Chester Taylor, were all taken in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds. Some even 6th. RB's can be had in the later rounds if you have a legit scout. You don't need to take a RB in the 1st round.

If you can get a RB like Marion Barber, Michael Turner, Maurice Jones Drew, Brian Westbrook, and Ray Rice in the later rounds and get them for nothing? Then why not trade him?

SaviorEdwards
02-17-2010, 11:44 PM
I don't think it would be worth trading him. His value at this point is zero. Teams know he one more screw up away from a stiff penalty.

BillsWin
02-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Lynch needs to lose some weight. He became a fatty last season and it showed in his production, or lack there of.

TacklingDummy
02-17-2010, 11:54 PM
The problem with trading Lynch is, who the hell wants him?
Should have traded him before last season started, just like I said.

Liverpoolkev
02-18-2010, 07:03 AM

*Ha, I said I was going to say that. Sorry, I just can't ignore the obvious information. You don't have to worry because Gailey/nix/modrak are football people and they see what you see .....I am not worried anymore about us getting rid of productive players now that brandon and overdorfer are away from the football operations ......To those that dont like Lynch ...get over it..... I want physical punishing football players that will flourish in Gailey system..............the people that have to worry now is some fan favorites schobal/kelsay because at 8mill/6 mill their soft no- playmaking days are numbered

tampabay25690
02-18-2010, 07:29 AM
The way I look at it is RB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL now.
By far Fred Jackson has been the best player on the Bills for the past 2 years now.
I like Lynch and he is a good changeup on this team...
The only way I see us getting rid of LYNCH is for value...

But otherwise we keep Lynch on this team

alohabillsfan
02-18-2010, 08:16 AM
trade him and draft an oline anyone can freaking run behind!

ChanGailey
02-18-2010, 09:10 AM
trade him and draft an oline anyone can freaking run behind!
Listen, if you could get a good pick for Lynch, then I'd certainly at least entertain the thought. I understand that NOBODY on any team, except for elite QB's are untouchable.

That said. People keep mentioning the Blount guy who punched another player during the handshake period at the end of the game. That's about a big a football crime as you can commit, IMO. Sucker punching a guy on the field in front of the camera, during the "Good game handshake" time? I don't see how he's an option for us if Lynch is getting shipped out for having a registered gun in his trunk, in a case.

Nobody will aknowledge Lynch's pay. $884,000 dollars. I'd like to know where that ranks amongst NFL RB's and among 3rd round picks. Probably towards the bottom. And it's not even an early 3rd we're talking about, its a LATE third, from either SD or Philly.

I can understand that gem's can be found anywhere, but how many RB's that we've never heard of get drafted in the 3rd round? Probably a lot more than what someone mentioned earlier. And to say Fred was better than Lynch in 08 is wrong too, Lynch had his best season, 4.1ypc, pro bowl alternate.

You have rookies who are 21-23 and have never taken an NFL snap.

Or you have Lynch who is 23 and has 3 seasons under his belt. That's called "Experience"...players, unless they get hurt, usually improve.

I'd like to give Chan a shot at him. If we're in Week 4 or 5 and its more of the same, then we can get better value, because a team may be desperate with their starter on IR. We literally have no leverage and will get no value in return.

If San Diego drafts a RB and he tears his knee in Week 3, I bet we could get a 2nd rounder instead.

You gotta know when to hold em.

Griff
02-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Its just funny people would prefer cromartie, who olays runners and has a travis henry like army of illegit kids spanning 5 states.

Lynch runs hard. He was always first to show fred love. 29 year old rbs tend to get hurt. So if fred goes down you want a 3rd round rookie touching the ball 20 times a game?

Not me.

Every time you bring up Fred's age you just further discredit yourself. Fred is older, but he doesn't take nearly the beating and is young considering his NFL experience. He's a better all around back who is able to find holes instead of plowing into the first defender he sees. Sorry I loved Lynch but his antics and poor play have piled too high.

Griff
02-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Listen, if you could get a good pick for Lynch, then I'd certainly at least entertain the thought. I understand that NOBODY on any team, except for elite QB's are untouchable.

That said. People keep mentioning the Blount guy who punched another player during the handshake period at the end of the game. That's about a big a football crime as you can commit, IMO. Sucker punching a guy on the field in front of the camera, during the "Good game handshake" time? I don't see how he's an option for us if Lynch is getting shipped out for having a registered gun in his trunk, in a case.

Nobody will aknowledge Lynch's pay. $884,000 dollars. I'd like to know where that ranks amongst NFL RB's and among 3rd round picks. Probably towards the bottom. And it's not even an early 3rd we're talking about, its a LATE third, from either SD or Philly.

I can understand that gem's can be found anywhere, but how many RB's that we've never heard of get drafted in the 3rd round? Probably a lot more than what someone mentioned earlier. And to say Fred was better than Lynch in 08 is wrong too, Lynch had his best season, 4.1ypc, pro bowl alternate.

You have rookies who are 21-23 and have never taken an NFL snap.

Or you have Lynch who is 23 and has 3 seasons under his belt. That's called "Experience"...players, unless they get hurt, usually improve.

I'd like to give Chan a shot at him. If we're in Week 4 or 5 and its more of the same, then we can get better value, because a team may be desperate with their starter on IR. We literally have no leverage and will get no value in return.

If San Diego drafts a RB and he tears his knee in Week 3, I bet we could get a 2nd rounder instead.

You gotta know when to hold em.

sorry but Lynch's expereince haven't added up to much, if anything, he's getting worse.

justasportsfan
02-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I'd rather wait and see what CHan can do for Lynch's style of running instead of Dicks , one size fits all system that didn't work.

Bill Cody
02-18-2010, 11:51 AM
first day pick offer = gone

ChanGailey
02-18-2010, 02:54 PM
I'd rather wait and see what CHan can do for Lynch's style of running instead of Dicks , one size fits all system that didn't work.

I think that Chan will get the most out of his RB's, because he'll actually establish a running game (unlike Dick). Jerome Bettis had his best season under Chan.

Under Dick, Marshawn has only had games with 25+ carries twice in his career. TWICE. We won both games, by the way.

Griff
02-18-2010, 04:58 PM
I think that Chan will get the most out of his RB's, because he'll actually establish a running game (unlike Dick). Jerome Bettis had his best season under Chan.

Under Dick, Marshawn has only had games with 25+ carries twice in his career. TWICE. We won both games, by the way.

you're still forgetting that Fred and Marshawn ran behind the same lines, and Fred has out performed him.

ChanGailey
02-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Every time you bring up Fred's age you just further discredit yourself. Fred is older, but he doesn't take nearly the beating and is young considering his NFL experience. He's a better all around back who is able to find holes instead of plowing into the first defender he sees. Sorry I loved Lynch but his antics and poor play have piled too high.

I discredit myself?

So what exactly do you think Fred Jackson was doing from the ages 18-27? Before he was on the Bills?

He was on a high school football team.

Then he was at Koe College.

Then he was I guess in NFL europe. But the entire time, the dude was playing football and being a running back.

Do you think he was taking mud baths and like oiling his joints or something?

Sorry, but if anybody discredits themselves, it's you.

29 is 29. Period.

He's been playing running back, every football season, every year, since he was in high school, which he graduated in 98 or 99.

It's so funny how a RB magically gets years added to their career because they didn't get a ton of carries early on, yet, there has, at least not in the modern era, EVER been a running back that dick JACK SQUAT after the age of 30.

It took the guy 8 years to crack a starting lineup. He's not an elite RB. He's certainly not the guy to build around or completely depend on. We need 3 running backs, we have 2. We'd have to add one as it is.

BuffaloBlitz83
02-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Yo genius. Griff means he and Marshawn's style of running completely different. Lynch seeks contact on rushes. He seeks contact and tries to runover people. Jackson uses his vision. Tries to hit the hole. Two totally different running backs.

Look at a guy like Chris Johnson. Then look at a guy like Jonathon Stewart. same draft class. CJ has had far more carries yet Stewart style has worn him down far more due to it. Stewart is a power runner too.

ChanGailey
02-18-2010, 08:28 PM
you're still forgetting that Fred and Marshawn ran behind the same lines, and Fred has out performed him.

I'm forgetting? How do you figure? Where in the post that you quoted did I say that Marshawn is better than Freddy?

Akhippo
02-18-2010, 11:10 PM
You can also look at it like this. If we can get a third, or say we are able to give our second and Lynch for SDs first, we have a chance to upgrade our defense.
Why?
How much running do you think we are going to do from behind next year? Our defense is going to struggle next year. Even if only due to the transition. Are we going to have enough opportunities to get Lynch involved and revved up. Probably not.
So Lynch will be underused and sulk on the bench late in games. Why not try to take that bench potential and turn it into a defender that would also strengthen the team.

jamze132
02-18-2010, 11:40 PM
If Lynch can keep out of trouble and stay motivated, I say we keep him. But if Nix has any doubts and doesn't feel good about keeping the guy, it's not going to break my heart to trade him.

RBs are one of the easiest positions to refill when needed.

Griff
02-19-2010, 01:44 AM
I discredit myself?

So what exactly do you think Fred Jackson was doing from the ages 18-27? Before he was on the Bills?

He was on a high school football team.

Then he was at Koe College.

Then he was I guess in NFL europe. But the entire time, the dude was playing football and being a running back.

Do you think he was taking mud baths and like oiling his joints or something?

Sorry, but if anybody discredits themselves, it's you.

29 is 29. Period.

He's been playing running back, every football season, every year, since he was in high school, which he graduated in 98 or 99.

It's so funny how a RB magically gets years added to their career because they didn't get a ton of carries early on, yet, there has, at least not in the modern era, EVER been a running back that dick JACK SQUAT after the age of 30.

It took the guy 8 years to crack a starting lineup. He's not an elite RB. He's certainly not the guy to build around or completely depend on. We need 3 running backs, we have 2. We'd have to add one as it is.

Fred has 1237 carries over his professional carer, or about 5 years worth of carrying the ball. He's not nearly as worn down as a man of his age should be. For example, Ricky Williams. While Fred is no Ricky Williams. Ricky did take some time away from the field, and because of that, his body is not nearly as messed up as a normal running back of his age.

Griff
02-19-2010, 01:48 AM
I'm forgetting? How do you figure? Where in the post that you quoted did I say that Marshawn is better than Freddy?

And I would hardly crown fred as an nfl starter. He's 29, certainly not top 15. So why get rid of a guy who finished in the top 4 in the afc only 1 season ago?

its clear that you think Marshawn is good and Fred is average at best.

better days
02-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Fred has 1237 carries over his professional carer, or about 5 years worth of carrying the ball. He's not nearly as worn down as a man of his age should be. For example, Ricky Williams. While Fred is no Ricky Williams. Ricky did take some time away from the field, and because of that, his body is not nearly as messed up as a normal running back of his age.

The lack of carries may have helped Ricky & Fred as well but they both just may have more in common with Brett Favre or Walter Payton than say Trent Edwards or Fred Taylor. They both have never had a major injury. I think that is a big reason that they seem younger than they are.

ChanGailey
02-19-2010, 08:39 AM
The lack of carries may have helped Ricky & Fred as well but they both just may have more in common with Brett Favre or Walter Payton than say Trent Edwards or Fred Taylor. They both have never had a major injury. I think that is a big reason that they seem younger than they are.

Neither has Lynch.

Fred played in NFL Europe, he played in college, he doesn't score a lot of TD's so that means, he's getting tackled on most of his carries.

This low miles bs is nonsense.

Ricky Williams took seasons off to go smoke weed and meditate in the mountains. He went to the CFL where he broke his arm and his season got cut short. He actually took time away from football.

Fred never took time away from football. You ever see Rudy? Player tackle eachother, even in practice. Especially in non-NFL environments.

Fred isn't going to be running until he's 33, and even if he did, it's not like he's going to crank out huge numbers. Last season was his best season, he got the bulk of the carries and barely cracked 1000 yards. He had 4 td's. I think you are all crowning him a little too highly, and to think he's the guy to build around is wrong.

You need 3 running backs. I say again. Lynch comes cheaper than almost any other option.

Griff
02-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Neither has Lynch.

Fred played in NFL Europe, he played in college, he doesn't score a lot of TD's so that means, he's getting tackled on most of his carries.

This low miles bs is nonsense.

Ricky Williams took seasons off to go smoke weed and meditate in the mountains. He went to the CFL where he broke his arm and his season got cut short. He actually took time away from football.

Fred never took time away from football. You ever see Rudy? Player tackle eachother, even in practice. Especially in non-NFL environments.

Fred isn't going to be running until he's 33, and even if he did, it's not like he's going to crank out huge numbers. Last season was his best season, he got the bulk of the carries and barely cracked 1000 yards. He had 4 td's. I think you are all crowning him a little too highly, and to think he's the guy to build around is wrong.

You need 3 running backs. I say again. Lynch comes cheaper than almost any other option.

you really don't, until Denver made the whole running back by committee popular most teams had 1 primary and 2 back ups.