DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Its on ESPN Insider as always....

At 9 the Buffalo Bills select.....OT Russell Okung

:up:

patmoran2006
02-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Okung or Davis. Clausen or Bradford.

I've pretty much confined myself to one of those four being the Bills pick.

I'd LOVE McClain but don't see it happening. And I'm not completely sold with Bulaga at #9.

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Okung or Davis. Clausen or Bradford.

I've pretty much confined myself to one of those four being the Bills pick.

I'd LOVE McClain but don't see it happening. And I'm not completely sold with Bulaga at #9.

You won't like my Davis write up...just saying...

YardRat
02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
If it comes down to those four, Okung is a no-brainer IMO, big-time.

Who did Kiper have going 1-8 that allowed Okung to drop to #9?

BillsMan80
02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't see any way that Okung makes it to 9. No chance, zip, zero, zilch, etc. The other thing is I don't think Seattle goes QB as they need an OT, DL, Eric Berry if he is there, etc., before they draft a QB.

homeslice5484
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM
This team also needs to work on depth, no more 1 dimensional ST players..if a LB goes down, the next guy should step in and the coaching staff should have confidence.

The Spaz
02-17-2010, 05:09 PM
If Okung is there that would be crazy. I don't think it happens though.

psubills62
02-17-2010, 05:10 PM
If it comes down to those four, Okung is a no-brainer IMO, big-time.

Who did Kiper have going 1-8 that allowed Okung to drop to #9?

1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Berry
4. Clausen
5. Davis
6. Bradford
7. Haden
8. Pierre-Paul

X-Era
02-17-2010, 05:15 PM
1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Berry
4. Clausen
5. Davis
6. Bradford
7. Haden
8. Pierre-Paul

That is a feasible way that it falls IMO.

I could see either Davis or Okung being there at 9. I do think its more likely Davis though.

T-Long
02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
I think it will all depend on workouts/combine to have a clearer picture on the top OT...but it is possible for Okung or Davis to fall to us. I just hope for great workouts for both QB's so if they do end up going before #9, that would enable us to land one of those tackles.

SABURZFAN
02-17-2010, 05:45 PM
that would be awesome.

BillsMan80
02-17-2010, 06:14 PM
I don't see all the hype in Davis. I think Okung is the only sure-fire top 10 type of Tackle. Davis has great measureables but he's lazy, and doesn't always go hard. I watched him for the last 3 years at Rutgers being from NJ, and I am very skeptical and think he's a big time boom or bust guy who's more likely to bust. In addition he might be a better fit at RT anyway.

Akhippo
02-17-2010, 06:24 PM
My hope is also that the two QBs impress. Take them off the board, someone decide to draft Berry and we get the second or 1b tackle at 9.

Now if no QBs are taken and we are looking at the 4th best or 5th best OT I would see how serious NYGs are about needing a LB and how bad they might want McClain. I wouldnt mind going down from 9 to 15. At least Miami wont get him also.

Raptor
02-17-2010, 06:24 PM
I'd take that in a heartbeat but there is no way 8 teams are passing on Okung

TigerJ
02-17-2010, 07:22 PM
You won't like my Davis write up...just saying...Matt McGuire at www.walterfootball.com essentially called him a lazy bum. If there is anything to that, I would in essence cross him off my big board. Lazy players have very high bust potential.

X-Era
02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Matt McGuire at www.walterfootball.com (http://www.walterfootball.com) essentially called him a lazy bum. If there is anything to that, I would in essence cross him off my big board. Lazy players have very high bust potential. I think hes going to be overdrafted due to his potential. In the West Va. game, I thought Haslam, who is probably a mid to late rounder looked a bit more athletic and active. I wont say hes lazy, but I think he hasn't looked like a blue chip prospect either. His potential is very high and that's why I think he will go top 15.

Mahdi
02-17-2010, 07:43 PM
You won't like my Davis write up...just saying...
I don't like Davis. For a big powerful man he has horrible initial punch. He mirrors well but he does not use his power to his advantage in pass pro.

I don't like his hand usage in general. He needs a lot of work and even then I see him being a Bryant Mckinnie at best. Average in pass pro, solid run blocker.

Bulaga is a better prospect. Great punch and when he locks on in the run game yer done.

X-Era
02-17-2010, 07:47 PM

If we land Bradford, Okung, Morgan, McClain, or Bryant at 9 I'm very happy.

Id be happy, but less happy if we land Clausen, Davis, Bulaga, or Pierre-Paul

Night Train
02-17-2010, 07:50 PM
That sounds great but I'll be watching the Indy Combine and the game film they show on each guy. I do want the Bills to concentrate on LT and NT early, depending on the longshot chance we solve a need in FA, prior to the draft.

I'm not married to any name at present but I do have confidence in Nix and Modrak. I now know Jauron had waaay too much of the final say, much like Donahoe did and that equated to 10 years of mostly bad picks up top.

I'm very confident we'll get it right most of the draft, like last year. After Jauron trumped Modrak and picked Maybin ( Modrak wanted Cushing or Orakpo ), we selected Wood, Byrd, Levitre & Nelson. 4 Starters. Now with the 3-4 switch, OLB Maybin has a chance to thrive as an outside edge rusher.

LT,NT early... then LB.

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Matt McGuire at www.walterfootball.com essentially called him a lazy bum. If there is anything to that, I would in essence cross him off my big board. Lazy players have very high bust potential.

I concur with something very close to that assessment.

Night Train
02-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Matt McGuire at www.walterfootball.com (http://www.walterfootball.com) essentially called him a lazy bum. If there is anything to that, I would in essence cross him off my big board. Lazy players have very high bust potential.

I'm very interested in seeing Bulaga at the Combine. I worry about his reported short arms, which is a major negative if true.

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm very interested in seeing Bulaga at the Combine. I worry about his reported short arms, which is a major negative if true.

Keep in mind Michael Oher had shorter arms last combine when compared to Andre Smith who has the longest arms. Technique more than makes up for a matter of inches in arm length.

Mahdi
02-17-2010, 08:24 PM
If we land Bradford, Okung, Morgan, McClain, or Bryant at 9 I'm very happy.

Id be happy, but less happy if we land Clausen, Davis, Bulaga, or Pierre-Paul
Pierre-Paul is a pure physical specimen. His football smarts are not that impressive and his ability to close and wrap up on ball carriers and Qbs is not great either. He got by purely on physical dominance but he will struggle with the details at the next level.

Don't like him as a top 10 prospect. Bottom of first round for me.

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Pierre-Paul is a pure physical specimen. His football smarts are not that impressive and his ability to close and wrap up on ball carriers and Qbs is not great either. He got by purely on physical dominance but he will struggle with the details at the next level.

I agree his speed, size, and hitting ability are impressive. But he is a very sloppy technician, his angles are at times poorly, his tackling technique is poor, and his play recognition ability is below average. Misdirection and play action plays can really sucker him in.

Mahdi
02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Keep in mind Michael Oher had shorter arms last combine when compared to Andre Smith who has the longest arms. Technique more than makes up for a matter of inches in arm length.
Oher had 33 inch arms, Smith 35.

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Oher had 33 inch arms, Smith 35.

I think each had an extra .5 inch on their measurements but yes that is correct. And a big deal was made of that which was why Oher fell to the late 1st Round.

Mahdi
02-17-2010, 08:30 PM
I think each had an extra .5 inch on their measurements but yes that is correct. And a big deal was made of that which was why Oher fell to the late 1st Round.
33.5 and 35 3/8 to be exact.

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
33.5 and 35 3/8 to be exact.

Wes Bunting at National Football Post said Smith has 35.5 in his article about it last year.

What site are you using for results?

Mahdi
02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Wes Bunting at National Football Post said Smith has 35.5 in his article about it last year.

What site are you using for results?
NFL.com combine pages.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-oher?id=71419

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/andre-smith?id=71465

DraftBoy
02-17-2010, 08:35 PM
NFL.com combine pages.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-oher?id=71419

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/andre-smith?id=71465

Just double checking, I used to use NFLDraftScout.com because they were up to the minute updated, but now that CBS Sports bought them its not as good.

SirMcGee
02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
If Okung is available at 9 and we take him, i'd cr*p my pants...sit down and start rolling around in joy.

clumping platelets
02-17-2010, 10:14 PM
I predict that the Buffalo Bills will draft players come April 22-24

Akhippo
02-17-2010, 10:23 PM
If Okung is available at 9 and we take him, i'd cr*p my pants...sit down and start rolling around in joy.

Im still gun shy about pick watching though after last years debacle. Getting by pick by pick watching Orakpo sit there still available to us, then our pick comes Orakpo is still there and I hear the name Maybin. Arrgggghh.

Okung cant sit there and have us pick a RT that they think can transition to the left.

SirMcGee
02-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Im still gun shy about pick watching though after last years debacle. Getting by pick by pick watching Orakpo sit there still available to us, then our pick comes Orakpo is still there and I hear the name Maybin. Arrgggghh.

Okung cant sit there and have us pick a RT that they think can transition to the left.

Not sure if you've been informed but we have a new front office.

jamze132
02-18-2010, 12:48 AM
No way in hell 3 QBs go off the board in the top 6 with all those LTs and DTs available.

Let's not forget, Kiper is a tool.

Ingtar33
02-18-2010, 01:07 AM

Pierre-Paul is a horrifically bad tackler who takes terrible angles, and isn't particularly strong at the point of the attack.

he's a 3rd round DE with a 1st rounder's frame and "potential".

Sorry. if i was in a front office and i was advising my team on who to draft, I'd be telling the gm/owner to skip him completely in round 1.

he'll still go in round 1, because there will be a middle round 1 team in horrible need for a passrush who will take a flier on him and hope he works out, but i think of all the first round potential d-linemen he's got the highest bust potential of the lot.

*note: i said potential, i don't know what he'll do in the pros. i just think he's a terribly risky pick for any team in round 1.. and marginally risky in round 2... round 3 is where he probably should go... but no way he drops that far with that body.

btw: those thinking he'll generate a passrush, know that maybin was 10 times the football player in college then this kid is. draftboy pretty much hit on the other negs for him, but here is one i haven't seen mentioned... he's not "quick" which in my mind is as bad as anything else he's not.

Mike13
02-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Who does he have the Fins taking?

Griff
02-18-2010, 01:25 PM

could he really fall to the 9th?

Mahdi
02-18-2010, 01:48 PM
could he really fall to the 9th?
No.

THATHURMANATOR
02-18-2010, 02:09 PM
1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Berry
4. Clausen
5. Davis
6. Bradford
7. Haden
8. Pierre-Paul
In this scenario I would be very happy with Okung!

ddaryl
02-18-2010, 02:19 PM

wouldn't this be a great early christmas gift for Bills fan..

Akhippo
02-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Not sure if you've been informed but we have a new front office.

Havent we had a couple new FOs, and......

Yeah, nothing.

This "new" FO will get a chance to start off on the right foot in April, until then its hold your breath.

DraftBoy
02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Who does he have the Fins taking?

LB Rolando McClain

jamze132
02-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Kiper is still a tool.

JCBills
02-19-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't agree with his Jets pick, I know Lito Sheppard has fallen out of favor, but they still have Dwight Lowery who had the 2nd best opposing QB rate when thrown at in the NFL for a CB, 2nd only to Revis.

feldspar
02-20-2010, 10:13 PM
This team also needs to work on depth, no more 1 dimensional ST players..if a LB goes down, the next guy should step in and the coaching staff should have confidence.

Right.

I think that's part of the reason why we dumped Wendling and Jenkins already. Enough of keeping one-third of this team around for their ability to play special teams alone.

BillsWin
02-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Okung would be a fantastic pick!

better days
02-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Havent we had a couple new FOs, and......

Yeah, nothing.

This "new" FO will get a chance to start off on the right foot in April, until then its hold your breath.

Hold your breath if you want to, I BILLIEVE in this front office already.

Night Train
02-21-2010, 07:39 AM

Hey DB, after studying the film and reports, I'm starting to think he's the only Tackle projected in Round 1 that can actually be an effective LT. A huge wingspan makes up for a lot, if egde rushers get a step on a guy. The others may be better at RT (where I think Meredith can start for us).

I worry about the reported short arms of Bulaga and how Graham of Michigan ran right around him with ease. Plus his thyroid condition. I guess the Indy combine this week should answer a lot of questions.

Saffold of Indiana was the best player at the East-West Shrine game and may have changed many minds of those thinking he may be better inside. Looks like he could be a good LT and could be had in Round 2 or 3. Hiring his OL coach to our staff may have been a tipoff.

I just want our 1st round pick to be a bonified starter and not a leap of faith. I have confidence in Nix to get it right, with Jauron out of the way.

jaycorp51
02-22-2010, 08:39 AM
I'd be shocked and overly excited if Okung was there for us.

justasportsfan
02-22-2010, 09:27 AM
that may change once FA'cy starts.

JCBills
02-22-2010, 11:36 AM
No.

Yes.

Mahdi
02-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey DB, after studying the film and reports, I'm starting to think he's the only Tackle projected in Round 1 that can actually be an effective LT. A huge wingspan makes up for a lot, if egde rushers get a step on a guy. The others may be better at RT (where I think Meredith can start for us).

I worry about the reported short arms of Bulaga and how Graham of Michigan ran right around him with ease. Plus his thyroid condition. I guess the Indy combine this week should answer a lot of questions.

Saffold of Indiana was the best player at the East-West Shrine game and may have changed many minds of those thinking he may be better inside. Looks like he could be a good LT and could be had in Round 2 or 3. Hiring his OL coach to our staff may have been a tipoff.

I just want our 1st round pick to be a bonified starter and not a leap of faith. I have confidence in Nix to get it right, with Jauron out of the way.
This is my view.

Mahdi
02-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Yes.
Ok... Okung has a great shot to fall to #9.

JCBills
02-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Ok... Okung has a great shot to fall to #9.

Not what I said at all, but alrighty then.

To say there is NO chance is just dumb though.

Mahdi
02-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Not what I said at all, but alrighty then.

To say there is NO chance is just dumb though.
To say there is no chance is realistic.

There are 6 teams ahead of us who are in need of a LT and Okung is a top 5 prospect.

JCBills
02-22-2010, 01:55 PM
To say there is no chance is realistic.

There are 6 teams ahead of us who are in need of a LT and Okung is a top 5 prospect.

Nobody knows what will happen. Is there a chance he's there at 9? Yes, but it isn't a big one, that's being more realistic.

BuffaloRanger
02-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Pierre-Paul is a horrifically bad tackler who takes terrible angles, and isn't particularly strong at the point of the attack.

he's a 3rd round DE with a 1st rounder's frame and "potential".

Sorry. if i was in a front office and i was advising my team on who to draft, I'd be telling the gm/owner to skip him completely in round 1.

he'll still go in round 1, because there will be a middle round 1 team in horrible need for a passrush who will take a flier on him and hope he works out, but i think of all the first round potential d-linemen he's got the highest bust potential of the lot.

*note: i said potential, i don't know what he'll do in the pros. i just think he's a terribly risky pick for any team in round 1.. and marginally risky in round 2... round 3 is where he probably should go... but no way he drops that far with that body.

btw: those thinking he'll generate a passrush, know that maybin was 10 times the football player in college then this kid is. draftboy pretty much hit on the other negs for him, but here is one i haven't seen mentioned... he's not "quick" which in my mind is as bad as anything else he's not.

Yeah it would be a total waste to draft guy early and have his only contribution be an offsides penalty on a recovered onsides kick...oh wait.

BuffaloRanger
02-22-2010, 04:53 PM

Thyroid problems? He'd fit right in here. Buffalo is the thyroid disease capital of the US. Probably a 1/3 of the posters on this MB are taking thyroid meds.