• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Uncapped year is really hurting the Bills

Im in the midst of writing about this, talking to a few people and getting some quotes.. But a few talking points

I think that an uncapped year is really hurting the Bills, perhaps more than any team in the NFL this offseason for the following reasons.

1- They were in far better shape cap-wise than almost any team in the league.

2- They have a surplus of holes to fill, especially with the 3-4 switch.

3- They have literally no UFA's of their own they'd have to invest significant money on to retain, which allows them to be bigger "players" in the open market.

4- The most glairing--- the talent pool in UFA has shrunken drastically with guys who would be UFA being RFA without the new CBA.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Uncapped year is really hurting the Bills

we're building via the draft
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• djjimkelly
      • Apr 2003

pat i love most of your writing but this constant: this hurts the bills that hurts the bills is getting old.

10 years of mismanagement coupled with terrible coaching for the most part no real football man as the GM (even donahoe IMO wasn't a football man)

missing badly on half of our rounds 1 through 3 picks

is what has hurt the bills this GM has already stated building through the draft is what we are gonna do.

so nothing about the cap is hurting or making the bills in the immediate future the 2010 year.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by djjimkelly
        pat i love most of your writing but this constant: this hurts the bills that hurts the bills is getting old.

10 years of mismanagement coupled with terrible coaching for the most part no real football man as the GM (even donahoe IMO wasn't a football man)

missing badly on half of our rounds 1 through 3 picks

is what has hurt the bills this GM has already stated building through the draft is what we are gonna do.

so nothing about the cap is hurting or making the bills in the immediate future the 2010 year.
        They are going to make SOME moves during FA for sure, probably more than you think. >They have too. There isnt enough draft slots to fit what they still need to do.

And facts are facts. The uncapped year dwindles the talent pool and for a team like the Bills that had plenty of cap room and no major FA's of their own to invest in, it hurts their cause.

Comment

• djjimkelly
          • Apr 2003

also the last time the bills were a force in the nfl there was no salary cap

i can see no cap as a better fit for the bills players take 6 years to become UFA

this actually sets up a system where u can take someone who u project helping 3 years from now and still has 4 solid years before you have to make a real decision on them.

it also sets a system where teams can actually sign players in their prime years 5 and 6

i like this system better for our team specifically.

also u have a right to a player longer . buffalo sadly right now probably isnt on most players top 3 wish lists.

well no cap means to bad your here for 6 years if the bills love you :)

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            They are going to make SOME moves during FA for sure, probably more than you think. >They have too. There isnt enough draft slots to fit what they still need to do.

And facts are facts. The uncapped year dwindles the talent pool and for a team like the Bills that had plenty of cap room and no major FA's of their own to invest in, it hurts their cause.
            it hurt us a few years ago when we had tons of cap but the league raised it's cap and teams that didn't have more had some to wiggle all of a sudden. I'm not worried though.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• RockStar36
              Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
              • Sep 2004

Oh no, they might actually have to draft well this April instead of just sign free agents.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ed
                Dude
                • Sep 2002

One thing that helps the Bills though, is that with an uncapped year there are also restrictions on the playoff teams during free agency. So even though there are less UFA's now the Bills can still be one of the more competitive teams for their services.

Plus, if the Bills were in good cap shape and were willing to spend big money on Shannahan or Cowher, I don't see why they would be any less financially aggressive then any other team. I think most teams have said that even though it's an uncapped year, it's unlikely that they're going to go crazy spending money or operate any differently then normal.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

free agency this year isn't going to hold much for anyone IMO

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ed
                    One thing that helps the Bills though, is that with an uncapped year there are also restrictions on the playoff teams during free agency. So even though there are less UFA's now the Bills can still be one of the more competitive teams for their services.

Plus, if the Bills were in good cap shape and were willing to spend big money on Shannahan or Cowher, I don't see why they would be any less financially aggressive then any other team. I think most teams have said that even though it's an uncapped year, it's unlikely that they're going to go crazy spending money or operate any differently then normal.
                    Your second paragraph leads to what my point was. the talent pool is so incredibly diminished right now.

Through my research thus far, here are some RFA that would be UFA if there were a CBA deal. (And I limited it to positions we'd consider "needs)

Quarterback: Jason Campbell (Washington), Kyle Orton (Denver). Running Back: Jerome Harrison (Cleveland), Darren Sproles (San Diego)
                    Wide Receiver: Vincent Jackson (San Diego), Miles Austin (Dallas), Brandon Marshall (Denver), Braylon Edwards (NY Jets), Malcom Floyd (San Diego)
                    Tight End: Owen Daniels (Houston), Anthony Fasano (Miami)
                    Offensive Tackles: Marcus McNeil (San Diego), Jammal Brown (New Orleans), Tyson Clabo (Atlanta)
                    Defensive Tackle: Barry Cofield (NY Giants), Tony Brown (Tennessee)
                    Defensive End: Ray Edwards (Minnesota), Marcus Spears (Dallas)
                    Linebackers: Elvis Dumervil (Denver), DeMarco Ryans (Houston), Shawne Merriman (San Diego), Thomas Davis (Carolina), Kirk Morrison (Oakland)

Now look at the best of the current UFA lot as it stands in those same positions

Quarterback: Chad Pennington (Miami)
                    Running Back: Chester Taylor (Minnesota), Willie Parker (Pittsburgh)
                    Wide Receiver: Chris Chambers (Kansas City), Kevin Walter (Houston)
                    Tight End: Ben Watson (New England)
                    Offensive Tackles: Chad Clifton (Green Bay)
                    Defensive Tackle: Jimmy Kennedy (Minnesota)--- Aubrayo Franklin has been franchised and we anticipate Vince Wilfork and Casey Hampton will soon follow.
                    Linebackers: Joey Porter (Miami), Aaron Kampman (Green Bay)

The difference is very clear. And with the Bills in the cap shape they are in and again--without HAVING to invest heavily in their own FA's, this hurts.

They werent going to go nuts in FA regardless. But I'd think 2-3 good free agents would be the quote. They could've went after LT and say WR in FA.

And for the record, I do agree with the team being built throught the draft as a whole. But there is no way the Bills fix their holes through the draft alone.

It's a combination of both. There are still some good UFA's out there, but very few.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                      • Apr 2003

sure it hurts their immediate cause but i don't think their immediate cause is the 2010 season and rightfully so.

however most of our needs we have while are very severly lacking this is comical to actually be forced to write

QB LT RT DE LB we are FAR away

i think we are better off building a real team lets not kid ourselves lots of teams still do it this way and they for the most part are the winning teams we just have not had real NFL material coaching or front office and we are in this mess becuase of it.

im sure a couple years from now we will be well on way. i can almost assure you the bills are non factor in 2010 and all im looking for is real progression from this organization regardless of overall record in 2010

Comment

• djjimkelly
                        • Apr 2003

Your second paragraph leads to what my point was. the talent pool is so incredibly diminished right now.

Through my research thus far, here are some RFA that would be UFA if there were a CBA deal. (And I limited it to positions we'd consider "needs)

Quarterback: Jason Campbell (Washington), Kyle Orton (Denver). Running Back: Jerome Harrison (Cleveland), Darren Sproles (San Diego)
                        Wide Receiver: Vincent Jackson (San Diego), Miles Austin (Dallas), Brandon Marshall (Denver), Braylon Edwards (NY Jets), Malcom Floyd (San Diego)
                        Offensive Tackles: Marcus McNeil (San Diego), Jammal Brown (New Orleans), Tyson Clabo (Atlanta)
                        Linebackers: Elvis Dumervil (Denver), DeMarco Ryans (Houston), Shawne Merriman (San Diego), Thomas Davis (Carolina), Kirk Morrison (Oakland)

Now look at the best of the current UFA lot as it stands in those same positions

Defensive Tackle: Jimmy Kennedy (Minnesota)--- Aubrayo Franklin has been franchised and we anticipate Vince Wilfork and Casey Hampton will soon follow.

The difference is very clear. And with the Bills in the cap shape they are in and again--without HAVING to invest heavily in their own FA's, this hurts.

They werent going to go nuts in FA regardless. But I'd think 2-3 good free agents would be the quote. They could've went after LT and say WR in FA.

And for the record, I do agree with the team being built throught the draft as a whole. But there is no way the Bills fix their holes through the draft alone.

It's a combination of both. There are still some good UFA's out there, but very few.

of that entire FA list the one i would target the most is ben watson you kill 2 birds with one stone take him away from the pats he has been a bills killer and you solve a ill say 15 year drought at TE riemersma was great but he got hurt

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by djjimkelly
                          of that entire FA list the one i would target the most is ben watson you kill 2 birds with one stone take him away from the pats he has been a bills killer and you solve a ill say 15 year drought at TE riemersma was great but he got hurt
                          Im a fan of Shawn Nelson.. I think he's going to be good.. I wouldn't invest much in a tight end, though I suppose that could be easily disgreed with, which is why I listed some tight ends.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

This is a good list and it is very telling of how the uncapped year is affecting the FA pool, but this lack of UFAs affects every team, not just the Bills...yes, we need LBs and QBs but I'd say more teams have needs at these positions than those that dont.
                            Last edited by Pinkerton Security; 02-18-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Well, I will say this too.. An uncapped this year makes it easier to trade and I'm sure the Bills got guys they're looking to trade.

Under the cap system, when a team traded a player it suffered a cap hit based on the years left on the player's contract. It acted as a disincentive for trading him. Now there is no cap hit. Also, with fewer unrestricted free agents available, teams may be more aggressive in trading for players to fill needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X