• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

NBC's hockey coverage SUCKS

Today, they cut off the start of the game to show the end of curling. Seriously? Curling?

Then, on Sunday, they are relegating the USA/Canada hockey game to CNBC so they can show ICE DANCING.

Yes, ice dancing. If you don't know what that is, think of it this way: Someone thought figure skating was too manly and exciting, so they took out the jumps and made the music even more lame. Yes, they actually found a way to make figure skating WORSE, and it's going to be on national TV.

And this is from NBC, which has the NHL's only network TV contract.

You wonder why hockey isn't more popular? It's preempted for CURLING and ICE DANCING.

**** NBC.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: NBC's hockey coverage SUCKS

NBC is losing a lot of money on these Olympics... if they continue to carry the Olympics, they'll have no choice but to stop packaging them and rather just play the raw footage like every other country does. I'd say the Canadian networks like CBC provide a rather good model to follow.
    Last edited by DMBcrew36; 02-18-2010, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

When they would rather show curling then hockey that's sad!

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

It's good the game is going to be on CNBC because over there they won't cut into it to show curling.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

I wish they would tell us more who these guys play for, I don't think they say it enough.

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
            Today, they cut off the start of the game to show the end of curling. Seriously? Curling?

Then, on Sunday, they are relegating the USA/Canada hockey game to CNBC so they can show ICE DANCING.

Yes, ice dancing. If you don't know what that is, think of it this way: Someone thought figure skating was too manly and exciting, so they took out the jumps and made the music even more lame. Yes, they actually found a way to make figure skating WORSE, and it's going to be on national TV.

And this is from NBC, which has the NHL's only network TV contract.

You wonder why hockey isn't more popular? It's preempted for CURLING and ICE DANCING.

**** NBC.
            Ice dancing? Is that a new "sport" for the Olympics? I had never heard of it, but you sure give a good description.

Gotta say...a lot of people I know seem to enjoy watching curling. I think it's just because it's so odd.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• DrGraves
              • Mar 2008

Its stupid.... the swiss are on the verge of upsetting canada in a GREAT game and they keep cutting to commercials DURING PLAY in the final minutes... unreal...

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                NBC is losing a lot of money on these Olympics... if they continue to carry the Olympics, they'll have no choice but to stop packaging them and rather just play the raw footage like every other country does. I'd say the Canadian networks like CBC provide a rather good model to follow.
                They have no one to blame but themselves. I'm sick of going online and seeing who won a medal, meanwhile NBC is showing nothing all day long and waits until primetime to show the package of tape delayed highlights. I'm sick of the highlights. I prefer to see the raw footage. Everyone else does it that way!

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

As for their decision to air Ice Dancing instead of an NHL all-star game between two of the top countries, NBC programmers are idiots. Why wouldn't you promote the NHL and air this great Olympic hockey game? After the Olympics, it's going to be getting to the best time of a hockey season...the final month and a half and then the Stanley Cup playoffs. Use these Olympic games to showoff and promote NHL on NBC!
                  Last edited by Michael82; 02-18-2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• rbochan
                    Zamboni Driver
                    • Jun 2008

Why would you expect anything else from a network that cuts away from a playoff game going into OT to air a ****ing horse race PRE-SHOW.
                    ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
                    it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                      I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                      • May 2005

You guys are saying all this because you are hockey fans. Obviously more people rather watch the other events, or it wouldn't be that way. NBC is not stupid, they are going to put the sports that pull in higher ratings on network TV and relegate the rest to cable.

The general Olympic viewer is going to want to see sports that aren't readily available 8 months of the year like hockey is.

As for the start of the Canada game being missed, they did the same thing on Tuesday. US events get priority, so they finished up the curling first. Though, I'm not sure why they showed the end of two other matches before they switched it over.

Comment

• RockStar36
                        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                        • Sep 2004

I must be in the minority of those who don't care.

I get CNBS, MSNBC, USA, and NBC in HD, so I really could care less which channel the game is on as long as I get to see it.

D & S Sports

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                          They have no one to blame but themselves. I'm sick of going online and seeing who won a medal, meanwhile NBC is showing nothing all day long and waits until primetime to show the package of tape delayed highlights. I'm sick of the highlights. I prefer to see the raw footage. Everyone else does it that way!
                          Yeah, I know, and I'm saying that they realize this. Every article I've read about NBC's coverage and NBC having lost over $220 million on these games is saying that if NBC continues with the Olympics in the future their format will definitely change and will have less packaging.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
                            You guys are saying all this because you are hockey fans. Obviously more people rather watch the other events, or it wouldn't be that way. NBC is not stupid, they are going to put the sports that pull in higher ratings on network TV and relegate the rest to cable.

The general Olympic viewer is going to want to see sports that aren't readily available 8 months of the year like hockey is.

As for the start of the Canada game being missed, they did the same thing on Tuesday. US events get priority, so they finished up the curling first. Though, I'm not sure why they showed the end of two other matches before they switched it over.
                            Considering the NHL has a contract with NBC - one might think NBC would have an interest in putting the Canada/U.S. game on NBC Sunday night. But considering how they blew the whole Jay Leno/Conan thing, those ******s probably have no idea what's good for them.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                              I must be in the minority of those who don't care.

I get CNBS, MSNBC, USA, and NBC in HD, so I really could care less which channel the game is on as long as I get to see it.
                              For me personally, I could care less as long as the game is on. I have all those channels in HD as well.

I'm thinking in bigger terms, as far as exposure for the sport. The NHL's national TV contract is with VS, and they only show games 2 nights a week. I live in the DC area, which is probably the 5th or 6th biggest TV market in the country, and I have an expensive DirecTV package, and there are still probably 3 nights a week when there is NO hockey on my TV whatsoever. Compared to NFL, NBA, MLB and even NASCAR, the NHL's exposure sucks.

NBC has an NHL contract. This is an opportunity to promote not just the sport itself, but a product that NBC has. Instead of making sure it's in every home in America, they relegate it to some 4th rate cable news network.

And we're not talking about Belarus vs Ukraine here. We're talking about the USA vs Canada, featuring some of the biggest names in the NHL.

In two weeks, the Olympics will be over and no one in the US will give a **** about ice dancing or curling for another 4 years, but people will be watching hockey the very next day.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X