PDA

View Full Version : Canada/Switzerland Game last night

THATHURMANATOR
02-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Now that is why I love Hockey!!!! Amazing game. Hiller played out of his mind!

DMBcrew36
02-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Yeah... awesome game.. especially 3rd period and on.

Buffalogic
02-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Russia/Slovakia was really good too. Especially Ovechkin getting stoned 2/3 times in the shootout.

RockStar36
02-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks to BMN I caught the full OT and shootout.

I was actually somewhat surprised that USA beat them 3-1 because Hiller is a very capable goalie and he showed it last night.

Sunday's game is gonna be HUGE now. I'm pumped.

chernobylwraiths
02-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't like that after the first three shootout scorers, that you can repeat players. I thought the regular shootout rules are bad, those are even worse.

How do you feel if you are on the Canadian team and they give Sid another shot instead of you?

DMBcrew36
02-19-2010, 10:41 AM
I don't like that after the first three shootout scorers, that you can repeat players. I thought the regular shootout rules are bad, those are even worse.

How do you feel if you are on the Canadian team and they give Sid another shot instead of you?

The other players don't care ... everyone who knows anything knows Sid is nearly automatic on shootouts.... you're there to win and who gives you the best chance? Sid.

RockStar36
02-19-2010, 10:43 AM

I like it. The shootout is reserved for the best players. The other players need to be better if they want a shot.

I hate in the NHL how it has to go through the full roster. There is nothing worse than watching Adam Mair attempt to win the game in a shootout.

Even worse would be the team that loses out on a point because they let Adam Mair score in a shootout.

chernobylwraiths
02-19-2010, 10:47 AM
The other players don't care ... everyone who knows anything knows Sid is nearly automatic on shootouts.... you're there to win and who gives you the best chance? Sid.

If it goes the other way because Sid doesn't score and the other guy does, then there are a lot of bruised egos. Most sports guys have fairly large egos.

chernobylwraiths
02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
I like it. The shootout is reserved for the best players. The other players need to be better if they want a shot.

I hate in the NHL how it has to go through the full roster. There is nothing worse than watching Adam Mair attempt to win the game in a shootout.

Even worse would be the team that loses out on a point because they let Adam Mair score in a shootout.

I'm getting to hate the shootout. Sure, maybe it is because we don't have a lot of skilled "shootout guys". But the team is losing because they aren't good on breakaways. That is just wrong. The NHL needs to go back to ties. At least then in overtime the teams will really go for the extra point. Plus, the shootout is really screwing up the record books.

DMBcrew36
02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
If it goes the other way because Sid doesn't score and the other guy does, then there are a lot of bruised egos. Most sports guys have fairly large egos.

Whether he makes it or not, players know Sid is the best in the world in shootouts. He gives them their best opportunity to win.

chernobylwraiths
02-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Whether he makes it or not, players know Sid is the best in the world in shootouts. He gives them their best opportunity to win.

I thought Kozlov and Kotalik were the best in shootouts?

RockStar36
02-19-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm getting to hate the shootout. Sure, maybe it is because we don't have a lot of skilled "shootout guys". But the team is losing because they aren't good on breakaways. That is just wrong. The NHL needs to go back to ties. At least then in overtime the teams will really go for the extra point. Plus, the shootout is really screwing up the record books.

Oh I agree, I despise the shootout now.

I'm just saying, I'd rather have it the Olympic way than the NHL way.

RockStar36
02-19-2010, 10:53 AM
I thought Kozlov and Kotalik were the best in shootouts?

This season Crosby is 6 for 8.

The only players with a better percentage are ones who have shot 3 times or less.

Kozlov is 4 for 6, Kotalik is 1 for 4.

Ebenezer
02-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Well, I can see why they need the pros...wouldn't want Canada to lose to the Swiss...

BuffaloRanger
02-19-2010, 12:23 PM
The olympic shootout is a joke.

Letting a player shoot twice is a horrible rule.

Why even have 3 players? Why not just pick one player from each team and have them alternate until one scores?

As for the shootout in the NHL. Nobody liked ties. Remember when asked who won the game last night , how it sucked to say "it was a tie.' That was so weak.

NFL, MLB, and NBA don't end in ties. So the right decision was made that obviously neither could the NHL. So the NHL could prolong the regular season OT, resulting in painfully long games and fluke goals as players get exausted. Or implement a shootout. Since the penalty shot is considered one of the most exciting plays in all of sports, deciding a game through a shootout would make sense.

See here's the thing. These are professional hockey players. Best in the world. Breakaways are something that can be practiced. If a player or team sucks at shootouts the solution is to practice more, or get players that can actually finish.

Considering the Sabres have too many guys that miss open nets dring regulation it shouldn't be that surprising that they suck in shootouts.

Michael82
02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
The olympic shootout is a joke.

Letting a player shoot twice is a horrible rule.

Why even have 3 players? Why not just pick one player from each team and have them alternate until one scores?

As for the shootout in the NHL. Nobody liked ties. Remember when asked who won the game last night , how it sucked to say "it was a tie.' That was so weak.

NFL, MLB, and NBA don't end in ties. So they NHL could prolong the regular season OT, resulting in flike goals as players get exausted. Or implement a shootout. Since the penalty Shot is considered one of the most exciting plays in hockey, a shootout would make sense.

See here's the thing. These are professional hockey players. Best in the world. Breakaways are something that can be practiced. If a player or team sucks at shootouts the solution is to practice more, or get players that can actually finish.

Considering the Sabres have too many guys that miss open nets dring regulation it shouldn't be that surprising that they suck in shootouts.

umm...the NFL does end in a tie once in blue moon and they have. Don't you remember the Eagles/Bengals game where McNabb was shocked that they ended the game in a tie?

BuffaloRanger
02-19-2010, 12:37 PM
True, but that's highly unusual. There are many more ways to win a football game in OT. The scoring system in football is just so much different when you stop and think about it. We are just used to it.

Hockey a puck over the line is a goal.
Baseball a player crossing home plate is a run.
Basketball a basket can be worth 1, 2, or 3 points but the act of putting the ball in the basket is the same.

Football? 1 point for PATs. 2 points for safeties. 3 points for FGs. 6 points getting the ball over the goalline by pass/run/pick/fumble recovery. Just odd when you stop and think about it.

BuffaloRanger
02-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I know I was stating the obvious. I guess my point was that it's easier to kick a FG in OT then to score a goal in hockey OT.