PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Brad Butler retires!- Drafting OL at 9

OpIv37
02-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Forked from: Brad Butler retires! (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3158772)

I don't know what you guys are thinking, but i say OL is a must at #9

I think we have some great young talent on our OL that needs to be honed but we need that LT....

I don't disagree.

The problem is that our LB's are terrible, we don't really have an NT or enough DE's who can play the 3-4, we suck at QB, we only have two RB's on the roster and Lynch may get traded, and it's likely that TO and Reed may not return, so we have issues at WR as well.

You could make a strong argument at any one of those positions for the #9 overall pick. Personally, I don't think we should even be thinking about QB before we fix the OL, and I think OL, LB and DL are the priorities, but the point is that this team has so many holes that there is no obvious direction for our first round draft pick.

ChanGailey
02-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Forked from: Brad Butler retires! (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3158772)

I don't disagree.

The problem is that our LB's are terrible, we don't really have an NT or enough DE's who can play the 3-4, we suck at QB, we only have two RB's on the roster and Lynch may get traded, and it's likely that TO and Reed may not return, so we have issues at WR as well.

You could make a strong argument at any one of those positions for the #9 overall pick. Personally, I don't think we should even be thinking about QB before we fix the OL, and I think OL, LB and DL are the priorities, but the point is that this team has so many holes that there is no obvious direction for our first round draft pick.

Hopefully this helps us. With so many positions of need, maybe they focus on the best player rather than pressing a guy to fill a need ala Aaron Maybin.

This makes our choice so much easier. You will probably be able to take the best remaining player on your board because odds are, it'll fill a position of need.

SABURZFAN
02-19-2010, 09:01 AM

I don't disagree.

that's why i think they should trade down. get an extra pick or two could possibly help alleviate a need.

ChanGailey
02-19-2010, 09:21 AM
that's why i think they should trade down. get an extra pick or two could possibly help alleviate a need.

I agree with this, too...In principle. It seems like trading down is always a good option lately, because we're always 3-4 spots out of where we want to be for the player we truly need.

I'm willing to bet that in recent drafts they tried to trade down, but because we're always in the most awkward spot in the first round, we can't find dance partners.

We even suck at sucking! The Jets Panthers and Colts games are making me angry right now, because we could easily be picking 5th and pretty much have our pick of the litter.

I just hope Nix knocks this draft out of the park. If we can get 4 solid lineman and linebackers I'll really force myself to be excited about this team.

If we pick a CB before the 5th I'm going to jump out the window!

madness
02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
If you are going to draft thinking your going to draft a specific position at a certain pick, you may win the battle but you'll most likely never have a chance at winning the whole war.

Bill Cody
02-19-2010, 12:33 PM

No. We need an impact player at 9. If there is one left and there's a good chance there will be I will be pissed if we try to solve all our problems by moving down and end up with nothing special. That's what NE has done the last few years and it's why they've slipped. 9 is a great slot to pick. If there is a potential future pro bowl LT or QB or LB at 9 I say we grab him. No way in hell we plug all the holes on this team in one draft anyway.

billsfootball1027
02-20-2010, 11:43 AM
QB first ...worry about the rest of your team later on. Tackles will be there later in the first. The Bills past history shows they can trade back into the first round. So QB first ...o line later. Your oline is only as good as your QB. Your Qb needs to make quick decisions with the ball .....