PDA

View Full Version : Possibilities at WR

psubills62
02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I think it's pretty obvious we need another WR, and I doubt T.O. is coming back. While I'd like to think Steve Johnson will step up and be a #2, I wouldn't count on it. So here are a couple thoughts for the WR position:

1) Kevin Walter

He was a good possession receiver in Houston, and he's an UFA, so we wouldn't have to give up any compensation to get him. It sounds as though Houston is going to move on. The problems are that he's coming off of an injury. I think he's decent, but I don't know if he's the star quality #2 we need.

2) Anthony Gonzalez

I don't think this is very likely because Indy probably doesn't want to give up the WR depth they've built over the last few years. While he's also coming off of an injury, his role in Indy's offense is a little obscure. Garcon's abilities have pretty well solidified him as the #2, and Collie is a good slot WR. We'd obviously have to trade for him - either a pick or a player. The only player I could see Indy being interested in is Kyle Williams.

Since I don't like starting threads just to name one or two players I'd like to get in the offseason, I'd like to hear what you think of these two possibilities, as well as what you want to do to fill our #2 WR spot.

patmoran2006
02-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Fancy you should say Kevin Walter.. (See Walter thread)

Mahdi
02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Dez Bryant @ #9. If not, Brandon Lafell or Aerelious Benn in round 2. If Lafell even falls that far.

k-oneputt
02-19-2010, 10:57 AM
How does anyone really know what Johnson or Hardy can or cannot do ? Outside of preseason either barely played. I wouldn't trust the judgement of the previous band of losers to judge talent properly. We all know their numerous mistakes, and wasting time with Josh Reed instead of playing those two guys is one of them.

psubills62
02-19-2010, 11:37 AM
How does anyone really know what Johnson or Hardy can or cannot do ? Outside of preseason either barely played. I wouldn't trust the judgement of the previous band of losers to judge talent properly. We all know their numerous mistakes, and wasting time with Josh Reed instead of playing those two guys is one of them.

I wish they had played those guys more also. I'd trust the previous regime's late-round picks more than I'd trust their early-round picks. After all, we've had numerous 1st and 2nd round pick busts the last few years, but have had relatively good success with the late-rounders.

I think Johnson and Hardy at least deserve a shot at significant PT.

patmoran2006
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Besides Walter, if the Bills want to "hire" an established #2 WR, I would think Chris Chambers would be the next best option.

EDS
02-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Besides Walter, if the Bills want to "hire" an established #2 WR, I would think Chris Chambers would be the next best option.

Chambers would be a decent stopgap if the price is right.

Beebe's Kid
02-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Chambers would be a decent stopgap if the price is right.

Stopgap certainly is the word of the week, isn't it. Stopgap this, stopgap that. We are going to have a roster full of stopgaps...if that isn't what we had last year.

I am starting to warm to Mahdi's choice of Bryant at #9. I know that will not be popular, with the retirement of Butler, who could have possibly been beat out by Meredith anyway. It is kind of hard to argue with BPA when talking about Bryant.

An argument could definitely be made that selecting a WR at #9 is a bad idea...and I give that a lot of merit. That is the only thing that holds me back from joining Mahdi is the Official Dez at #9 Fan Club.

Chambers is a real NFL player. He played well in KC last year, and would be better than a "stopgap," in my opinion. He is definitely a better player than Reed. I wouldn't be hurt if Reed wasn't brought back.

Johnson/Hardy...ahh yes, the debate rages on. Stevie "Mutha*****in" Johnson, an obvious talent being wasted. His 13 career catches were not your usual 7th round draft pick catches...no sir! The way he shredded the Cleveland and Jets, which were his multiple reception games, was amazing. It pretty much kicked off the mania. Listen...I hope he does well, but people calling for him to be our #2 are reaching a little bit on that one. The best part is when the poster has completely trashed every starter on the team, then makes a case for SJ.

Hardy...you mean James Hardy? I agree he deserves a chance, but he was flat out horrible in his rookie year until the injury. I would love to think he has been honing his skills, but he tore his ACL, so the truth is he wasn't running for a long time....not like that was his strong suit to begin with.

I think we have to something at WR, and Chambers is a decent option, I feel. I won't even call him stopgap.

ZAZusmc03
02-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Stopgap certainly is the word of the week, isn't it. Stopgap this, stopgap that. We are going to have a roster full of stopgaps...if that isn't what we had last year.

I am starting to warm to Mahdi's choice of Bryant at #9. I know that will not be popular, with the retirement of Butler, who could have possibly been beat out by Meredith anyway. It is kind of hard to argue with BPA when talking about Bryant.

An argument could definitely be made that selecting a WR at #9 is a bad idea...and I give that a lot of merit. That is the only thing that holds me back from joining Mahdi is the Official Dez at #9 Fan Club.

Chambers is a real NFL player. He played well in KC last year, and would be better than a "stopgap," in my opinion. He is definitely a better player than Reed. I wouldn't be hurt if Reed wasn't brought back.

Johnson/Hardy...ahh yes, the debate rages on. Stevie "Mutha*****in" Johnson, an obvious talent being wasted. His 13 career catches were not your usual 7th round draft pick catches...no sir! The way he shredded the Cleveland and Jets, which were his multiple reception games, was amazing. It pretty much kicked off the mania. Listen...I hope he does well, but people calling for him to be our #2 are reaching a little bit on that one. The best part is when the poster has completely trashed every starter on the team, then makes a case for SJ.

Hardy...you mean James Hardy? I agree he deserves a chance, but he was flat out horrible in his rookie year until the injury. I would love to think he has been honing his skills, but he tore his ACL, so the truth is he wasn't running for a long time....not like that was his strong suit to begin with.

I think we have to something at WR, and Chambers is a decent option, I feel. I won't even call him stopgap.

Hardy, I'm not confident will even be in the league much longer unless he really shows something soon. Johnson has the most promise of the 2 in my opinion because when he did get the opportunity, he really showed something to get our hopes up. I personally would like to see him taking over at slot, and bringing in Chambers as #2 wouldn't upset me at all. There is no denying we need help at the position.

more cowbell
02-19-2010, 01:49 PM
chambers was lee evans teammate in college...that would be a good pick up.

I still think torry holt would be a good fit

Griff
02-19-2010, 01:53 PM

yeah he's a Gaily guy.

patmoran2006
02-19-2010, 02:21 PM

Was he? (Chambers)
I never knew that.. Good stuff man

more cowbell
02-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Was he? (Chambers)
I never knew that.. Good stuff man

yeah they both played at wisconsin...chambers was a year ahead...but i think evans was two draft classes later because he blew out his knee one year

Beebe's Kid
02-19-2010, 04:00 PM

I agree. Holt would be an excellent pick up. He would probably be on the cheap too, wouldn't you think?

bigbub2352
02-19-2010, 04:10 PM
malcom floyd would be a solid pick up, i like the Walter idea, we need a guy who can come in and give us effort on every down

also we got to see what we got in Hardy and johnson

Ickybaluky
02-19-2010, 04:16 PM
yeah they both played at wisconsin...chambers was a year ahead...but i think evans was two draft classes later because he blew out his knee one year

I think they were only at Wisconsin together one year.

However, they do know each other pretty well. They even went to the same high school, although Chambers is 3 years older.

psubills62
02-19-2010, 04:45 PM
I agree. Holt would be an excellent pick up. He would probably be on the cheap too, wouldn't you think?

Eh...not sure about Holt. He didn't score a single TD this past year for a team that desperately needed a passing threat. I'd rather pass on him.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of getting a lot of stopgaps. I'd almost rather try to use our young guys. At this point, we're rebuilding yet again...why not see if they can develop into contributors?

Kevin Walter, imo, is the best UFA option out there. Anyone have any thoughts about the possibility of trading for Gonzalez? Like I said, it would probably take a bit to make Indy give up their WR depth but at this point he's a talent who doesn't really have a place in the offense except in a rotation.

X-Era
02-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I think it's pretty obvious we need another WR, and I doubt T.O. is coming back. While I'd like to think Steve Johnson will step up and be a #2, I wouldn't count on it. So here are a couple thoughts for the WR position:

1) Kevin Walter

He was a good possession receiver in Houston, and he's an UFA, so we wouldn't have to give up any compensation to get him. It sounds as though Houston is going to move on. The problems are that he's coming off of an injury. I think he's decent, but I don't know if he's the star quality #2 we need.

2) Anthony Gonzalez

I don't think this is very likely because Indy probably doesn't want to give up the WR depth they've built over the last few years. While he's also coming off of an injury, his role in Indy's offense is a little obscure. Garcon's abilities have pretty well solidified him as the #2, and Collie is a good slot WR. We'd obviously have to trade for him - either a pick or a player. The only player I could see Indy being interested in is Kyle Williams.

Since I don't like starting threads just to name one or two players I'd like to get in the offseason, I'd like to hear what you think of these two possibilities, as well as what you want to do to fill our #2 WR spot.

Gonzales over Walter IMO.

Personally Id like to add one through the draft or FA, it wouldn't surprise me if Reed leaves.

starrymessenger
02-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Malcolm Floyd-or Demaryius Thomas in the third.

BILLSROCK1212
02-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Malcolm Floyd-or Demaryius Thomas in the third.
Malcolm Floyd all the way!!

nateodoms'bff
02-20-2010, 02:13 AM
id move back into the first to make sure that Demaryius Thomas is a Bill. He's Calvin Johnson. He's Andre Johnson. He's a big physical threat that has flat out speed and size. He's a young Terrell Owens. He's the big franchise WR that has been missed here since Eric Moulds left town. Lee Evans and Demaryius Thomas and Steve Johnson make a pretty formidable 1 2 3 for this offense.

Gaily recruited Thomas to GT. He knows what talent he has, as an offensive guy, he knows what this team lacks. Weapons. Im a defense first guy, thats why i want McClain or Spikes with the first pick. Trading down for Spikes and packaging the extra picks to move back to get Thomas, and this team gets better, day 1 of the draft.

Thomas has great hands, that he puts in the right spot to make the catch. He has tremendous down field speed, and can run every route. What routes he cant run, he makes up for with athleticism and size. The kid is a true talent, and will be gone in the first round for sure. The Bills would be mistaken to assume he will be available in the second round.

Griff
02-20-2010, 07:23 AM
really you want to go with a secondary need in the first? With all the needs this team has?

Yasgur's Farm
02-20-2010, 07:42 AM
I wrote this in another thread... It's worth repeating here.

We also need to walk away from drafting for need... It's been a deadly recipe for too long now. For the most part, by the time these guys are able to significantly contribute at that particular position of need, 2 other needs creep up. Unless you have a solid team to begin with, drafting for need will always keep you 2 years behind the game.

We need "stop gap" free agents to fill holes while our young players and rookies mature.<!-- / message -->

nateodoms'bff
02-20-2010, 09:21 AM
really you want to go with a secondary need in the first? With all the needs this team has?

Yes. The Bills have no playmakers on offense. Lee Evans scoring a touchdown on a big pass every third game, doesnt constitute a weapon. And yes its bad playcalling, bad coaching, bad everything. But the bottom line is that the Bills have no weapons on offense. No player that opposing coaches scheme for. Lee Evans is the only receiver, so obviously coaches plan to roll coverage his way. Adding another receiver is a guaranteed way to make sure this team can compete. The offensive line is not as bad as everyone here makes it out to be. The glaring need is either a NT or ILB for the new defense, then weapons for whoever the QB is going to be, which my guts tell me will be Brohm.

Griff
02-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Yes. The Bills have no playmakers on offense. Lee Evans scoring a touchdown on a big pass every third game, doesnt constitute a weapon. And yes its bad playcalling, bad coaching, bad everything. But the bottom line is that the Bills have no weapons on offense. No player that opposing coaches scheme for. Lee Evans is the only receiver, so obviously coaches plan to roll coverage his way. Adding another receiver is a guaranteed way to make sure this team can compete. The offensive line is not as bad as everyone here makes it out to be. The glaring need is either a NT or ILB for the new defense, then weapons for whoever the QB is going to be, which my guts tell me will be Brohm.

are you on crack? We don't have any starting OTs, we have no back ups, our OL SUCKS

nateodoms'bff
02-20-2010, 05:31 PM
are you on crack? We don't have any starting OTs, we have no back ups, our OL SUCKS

what a surprise, the obligatory insult followed by conjecture and baseless arguments.

The Bills have a solid young interior in Levitre Hangartner and Wood. Meredith showed a lot of potential as did Demetrius Bell. With Bells health in question and Butlers retirement, there are certainly holes that need to be filled. The O-Line can be coached up and with a new strength coaches they will shake the injury bug. Incognito can play any of the interior positions, and could probably play RT in a pinch. Do the Bills need to draft depth, absolutely. I however do not think that taking a project player in Bulaga at #9 is the right move for this team to make. Taking Rolando McClain, or trading down and getting more picks and taking Brandon Spikes, instantly makes this new defense better against the run, which was the biggest weakness on this team next to the lack of offense, which believe it or not was not related to the O-Line.

Its easy to blame a group of rookies and first time starters and practice squad players for the lack of coaching, game planning and other wise abysmal offensive play. Were they capable at run blocking? Not quite. But ask any body that actually knows football, and they will all say that Pass/Run blocking is about chemistry and working off the strengths and weaknesses of your linemates. Its not all about big names and draft picks.

The Bills have a lot of holes to fill. They need to add impact players where they can, when they can. Adding a weapon for whoever the QB is to take pressure off of the run game and the other receivers on the team. Demaryius Thomas is such a weapon. Another weapon is Legarrette Blount. These are players that can come in and contribute to the offense day one. Adding linebackers with size and speed who can actually tackle at the line of scrimmage would have given the Bills at least 3 more wins last season. Thats 9-7, a winning record. Not one person on this board or anywhere can tell me that drafting Brian Bulaga at #9 gets this team any closer to the playoffs. Sorry, i understand that football is won in the trenches, but the trenches dont matter if you cant stop the run or score points.

Yasgur's Farm
02-20-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm gonna hafta go ahead and agree with this argument... Even though I'd rather draft D... I want the Bills to address need in free agency and best player available in draft. And by addressining need... That does not necessarily mean big name free agents imo.
what a surprise, the obligatory insult followed by conjecture and baseless arguments.

The Bills have a solid young interior in Levitre Hangartner and Wood. Meredith showed a lot of potential as did Demetrius Bell. With Bells health in question and Butlers retirement, there are certainly holes that need to be filled. The O-Line can be coached up and with a new strength coaches they will shake the injury bug. Incognito can play any of the interior positions, and could probably play RT in a pinch. Do the Bills need to draft depth, absolutely. I however do not think that taking a project player in Bulaga at #9 is the right move for this team to make. Taking Rolando McClain, or trading down and getting more picks and taking Brandon Spikes, instantly makes this new defense better against the run, which was the biggest weakness on this team next to the lack of offense, which believe it or not was not related to the O-Line.

Its easy to blame a group of rookies and first time starters and practice squad players for the lack of coaching, game planning and other wise abysmal offensive play. Were they capable at run blocking? Not quite. But ask any body that actually knows football, and they will all say that Pass/Run blocking is about chemistry and working off the strengths and weaknesses of your linemates. Its not all about big names and draft picks.

The Bills have a lot of holes to fill. They need to add impact players where they can, when they can. Adding a weapon for whoever the QB is to take pressure off of the run game and the other receivers on the team. Demaryius Thomas is such a weapon. Another weapon is Legarrette Blount. These are players that can come in and contribute to the offense day one. Adding linebackers with size and speed who can actually tackle at the line of scrimmage would have given the Bills at least 3 more wins last season. Thats 9-7, a winning record. Not one person on this board or anywhere can tell me that drafting Brian Bulaga at #9 gets this team any closer to the playoffs. Sorry, i understand that football is won in the trenches, but the trenches dont matter if you cant stop the run or score points.

Griff
02-20-2010, 09:05 PM
rofl you think that's an insult?

you're right, who cares if the QB is on the ground half the time, I mean its not like the OL matters.

Hint: Playmakers, can't do anything if the OL is terrible.

Akhippo
02-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Sorry, i understand that football is won in the trenches, but the trenches dont matter if you cant stop the run or score points.

Really? The trenches dont matter if you cant stop the run, but you cant stop the run without talent in the trenches. The trenches dont matter if you cant score points, but you cant score any points if you cant run the ball or pass the ball.

If you cant get a 3rd and 1 because your line is average, how is a second receiver going to help that. How is a second receiver going to give the QB the time to allow for a deep out?

justasportsfan
02-20-2010, 11:41 PM
id move back into the first to make sure that Demaryius Thomas is a Bill. He's Calvin Johnson. He's Andre Johnson. He's a big physical threat that has flat out speed and size. He's a young Terrell Owens. He's the big franchise WR that has been missed here since Eric Moulds left town. Lee Evans and Demaryius Thomas and Steve Johnson make a pretty formidable 1 2 3 for this offense.

Gaily recruited Thomas to GT. He knows what talent he has, as an offensive guy, he knows what this team lacks. Weapons. Im a defense first guy, thats why i want McClain or Spikes with the first pick. Trading down for Spikes and packaging the extra picks to move back to get Thomas, and this team gets better, day 1 of the draft.

Thomas has great hands, that he puts in the right spot to make the catch. He has tremendous down field speed, and can run every route. What routes he cant run, he makes up for with athleticism and size. The kid is a true talent, and will be gone in the first round for sure. The Bills would be mistaken to assume he will be available in the second round.

while his video HL are impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMK59U6nCuw&feature=fvst

here's another college player who's HL and nos. were better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afr3PoA9ibI

I would love Demaryius Thomas on the team but he would be a luxurious pick that we can't afford .

Buddo
02-21-2010, 03:46 AM
I see no reason to trade for a WR, unless we are trading a player.
Chambers would be a decent option for a couple of years.
Hardy and Johnson need to be given opportunities, there is talent there, but how much, we just don't know tbh.
Another possibility could be Osgood from the Chargers (assuming he is an UFA), to give him an opportunity to start in a competition. He would also represent decent depth, and is obviously a good STs player.
We could then forget about drafting a WR, and concentrate our efforts on the Lines in the draft, while keeping an eye out for an extra RB.
WR wise, we would have Evans, Chambers, Osgood, Hardy, Johnson and Parrish. That should be a good enough group to get things under way.

Ickybaluky
02-21-2010, 07:10 AM
id move back into the first to make sure that Demaryius Thomas is a Bill. He's Calvin Johnson. He's Andre Johnson. He's a big physical threat that has flat out speed and size. He's a young Terrell Owens.

Thomas also is an unknown as a route-runner. The offense he plays is is basically just go routes, crossing patterns and quick screens. He doesn't run a lot of pro-style routes and route-running can separate guys in the pros.

The other question on Thomas is if he can get out of breaks quickly or has the second gear of Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson. Now that he broke his foot, he can't even be tested to get answers to those questions.

Thomas is a big guy who runs well with the ball in his hands, and he can out-jump defenders, but that doesn't mean he will dominate in the NFL. Route-running and getting out of breaks are big factors in the NFL, and that is where the questions are about him. He is an athletic talent, but not the sure thing you are making him out to be.

Night Train
02-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Dez Bryant @ #9. If not, Brandon Lafell or Aerelious Benn in round 2. If Lafell even falls that far.

I'd know nothing has changed with the Bills if they drafted a WR at #9, with glaring needs at LT,NT & QB.

Typ0
02-21-2010, 07:23 AM
If we select a WR or CB with our first pick I'm going to shoot myself.

Dying_-2-_Live
02-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Id really like to see Hardy on the field more often

Typ0
02-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Id really like to see Hardy on the field more often

Why? As long as he doesn't play he'll be the answer in waiting like Brohm.

ChanGailey
02-21-2010, 09:45 AM
I wish they had played those guys more also.

I agree. This is where Perry Fewell kinda screwed us. He should've given Hardy, Johnson, Shawn Nelson and Maybin a lot of playing time. The season was over, so we should have evaluated our young players, while giving them real game experience. Instead of doing what was best for the organization, he was trying to win himself the HC job (which he had no chance of winning, honestly).

This is where a good owner (or GM, if we actually had one) steps in, and tells the coach to play the young guys.

nateodoms'bff
02-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Really? The trenches dont matter if you cant stop the run, but you cant stop the run without talent in the trenches. The trenches dont matter if you cant score points, but you cant score any points if you cant run the ball or pass the ball.

If you cant get a 3rd and 1 because your line is average, how is a second receiver going to help that. How is a second receiver going to give the QB the time to allow for a deep out?

First off, the problems that the Bills had in run defense should be attributed to the fact that the former Bills defense was designed to stop the pass, and bend for the run. Well, it sure did bend. The fact that almost all of the Bills linebackers are undersized, and get swallowed up by blockers at the point of first contact, is the reason that opposing running backs were able to get to the second level consistently. Watching Ellison, Buggs, Draft, Corto and Palmer bounce off of Running Backs was embarrassing. Linebacker is the missing link to the defense. Do the Bills need a NT for the 3-4, yes, but thats not a position typically filled by a rookie. Do the Bills have LB's for the 3-4? Not the right ones.

Was the O-line terrible last season? Yes. Did they get better as the season progressed? Absolutely. No one can tell me that the penalties and missed assignments didnt decrease as season decreased. Having rookies, first time starters and project players starting over the course of the season, did not lend itself to chemistry or any cohesion on the part of the O-Line.

The draft should be used to add players that can step in day one and play. The Bills should take players that contribute from the beginning. Not projects. Aaron Maybin was a waste of a pick. Maybe this season in a new scheme that suits his abilities he will flourish, but i not holding my breath. Drafting guys like McClain or Spikes that have the physical tools and understand the game, are not reaches, they are franchise players, guys that make a difference every time they are on the field.

I understand that football guru's in places like this, want everyone on board the "build the lines first" band wagon, but I feel different. I think the lines are fine, and will get better with a new coaching staff. I would love to see a true elite LT in a Bills uniform. But I also think there is only one guy like that worth the #9 pick. Thats Okung. When we all realized that he will not fall to #9, then the deluge of who is the next best player picks sproted up. Thats Jauron and Company's way of thinking. Everyone thinks they should take an OT so they reach for a guy who may not work out, and pass on players that will make a difference.

The "trenches" are where football is won and lost, i get the cliche. But when the line played well last season, and all the offense could do was muster passing plays of 7 yards per attempt, you cant tell me that having a weapon on the team wouldnt have helped. A big physical receiver who can overpower a CB at the line of scrimmage on a slant route to pick up 12 or 13 yards on 1st down could have given the Bills at least one more victory.

oh, and btw, Thomas runs pro routes. if you watch GT football, you'll see that their passing offense is very much a pro styled game. Its their triple option run schemes that worked so well, that caused the lack of throwing. Demaryius Thomas is the real deal at WR. None of the the big name WR talent in this draft is a true pro style receiver.

acehole
02-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Disagree. S Johnson is well liked and will be fine.

Possiblly a vet for depth will be added...but Steve will start.

1) Kevin Walter

2) Anthony Gonzalez

psubills62
02-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I agree. This is where Perry Fewell kinda screwed us. He should've given Hardy, Johnson, Shawn Nelson and Maybin a lot of playing time. The season was over, so we should have evaluated our young players, while giving them real game experience. Instead of doing what was best for the organization, he was trying to win himself the HC job (which he had no chance of winning, honestly).

This is where a good owner (or GM, if we actually had one) steps in, and tells the coach to play the young guys.

Unfortunately, Fewell's situation did not bode well for trying to develop any of our young players. He had no motivation to play any of the young guys, as he was simply trying to win to get the HC job. After all, if he didn't win it was very likely that he wasn't going to be coming back.

It was very frustrating to me, since Jauron for some reason just refused to play young players, even when the season was obviously a waste. But firing him just created a situation where the interim HC had no reason to try and develop our young players.

psubills62
02-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Disagree. S Johnson is well liked and will be fine.

Possiblly a vet for depth will be added...but Steve will start.

Well liked by who? Maybe you've got some inside info, but Gailey has no allegiances to anyone on the roster.

I think Johnson deserves a chance, but I don't think it's reasonable to count on him being a legit #2 WR.

Akhippo
02-21-2010, 02:58 PM
First off, the problems that the Bills had in run defense should be attributed to the fact that the former Bills defense was designed to stop the pass, and bend for the run. Well, it sure did bend. The fact that almost all of the Bills linebackers are undersized, and get swallowed up by blockers at the point of first contact, is the reason that opposing running backs were able to get to the second level consistently. Watching Ellison, Buggs, Draft, Corto and Palmer bounce off of Running Backs was embarrassing. Linebacker is the missing link to the defense. Do the Bills need a NT for the 3-4, yes, but thats not a position typically filled by a rookie. Do the Bills have LB's for the 3-4? Not the right ones.

Was the O-line terrible last season? Yes. Did they get better as the season progressed? Absolutely. No one can tell me that the penalties and missed assignments didnt decrease as season decreased. Having rookies, first time starters and project players starting over the course of the season, did not lend itself to chemistry or any cohesion on the part of the O-Line.

The draft should be used to add players that can step in day one and play. The Bills should take players that contribute from the beginning. Not projects. Aaron Maybin was a waste of a pick. Maybe this season in a new scheme that suits his abilities he will flourish, but i not holding my breath. Drafting guys like McClain or Spikes that have the physical tools and understand the game, are not reaches, they are franchise players, guys that make a difference every time they are on the field.

I understand that football guru's in places like this, want everyone on board the "build the lines first" band wagon, but I feel different. I think the lines are fine, and will get better with a new coaching staff. I would love to see a true elite LT in a Bills uniform. But I also think there is only one guy like that worth the #9 pick. Thats Okung. When we all realized that he will not fall to #9, then the deluge of who is the next best player picks sproted up. Thats Jauron and Company's way of thinking. Everyone thinks they should take an OT so they reach for a guy who may not work out, and pass on players that will make a difference.

The "trenches" are where football is won and lost, i get the cliche. But when the line played well last season, and all the offense could do was muster passing plays of 7 yards per attempt, you cant tell me that having a weapon on the team wouldnt have helped. A big physical receiver who can overpower a CB at the line of scrimmage on a slant route to pick up 12 or 13 yards on 1st down could have given the Bills at least one more victory.

oh, and btw, Thomas runs pro routes. if you watch GT football, you'll see that their passing offense is very much a pro styled game. Its their triple option run schemes that worked so well, that caused the lack of throwing. Demaryius Thomas is the real deal at WR. None of the the big name WR talent in this draft is a true pro style receiver.

Nothing above is out of line. Its the notion that we can fix our woes by upgrading the outermost positions.

Id take McClain in a second. If we cant get a Dan Williams or other stud NT (area of need) and our next option is a stud ILB go for it.

We def. need impact players day one. We needed that the last ten years. Thats a given and the reason we are here. McCargo. Losman, McGahee, McKelvin, McMaybin.

ByrdsTheWord
02-22-2010, 09:43 AM

Hardy's whopping rookie year was mindblowingly good. He blew me away. :whistling

The Jokeman
02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Why would we take a #2 WR who is an older version of our "#1" WR? Ie guys who have been mentioned as #1s but probably better suited to be #2s guys. I've stated in numerous threads that Evans is a Terry Glenn clone and you could make the case that they're both clones of Chambers as well.

I think Walter's interesting as he does offer up some size we lack but of course have to wonder is he really as good as his stats or benefits being in an offense opposite Andre Johnson and when healthy has a great TE in Owen Daniels.

Yet if there's one UFA WR, yet have to double check lists, that I would target it would be Bobby Wade. As the guy is an ideal #3 WR like Josh Reed but he can also return punts and thusly replace both Reed and Roscoe Parrish with one body.

BuffaloRanger
02-23-2010, 07:04 PM

I understand that football guru's in places like this, want everyone on board the "build the lines first" band wagon, but I feel different. I think the lines are fine, and will get better with a new coaching staff.

Wow. Did you even watch any Bills games last year? Saying things like...

"They got better as the year progressed."
"I think the lines are fine."

NEWSFLASH: The Bills had one of the worst Olines in Football last year. And you want to go into the season with basically the same lineup under some delusion that "they will put it all together because of the new coaches."? The false starts didn't improve. The running game barely improved. Still couldn't convert 3rd and 1s.

What if the overmatched Bell gets hurt again? Then what? In another post you said "big names don't equal success in the Oline." I disagree. Look at the Jets oline. Best running game in football. Almost all 1st rd picks on tat Oline.

"A big physical receiver who can overpower a CB at the line of scrimmage on a slant route to pick up 12 or 13 yards on 1st down could have given the Bills at least one more victory." ~~

That' was T.O.s job. He actually did it well a couple games, when Fitzpatrick had time to throw to him. A stud draft pick to replace TO would meet with the same "success" becuase the OTs are so weak.

If there is a run on OT before the Bills select then OK, go best player available - but then they MUST draft for NEED (OT) in the 2nd and 3rd. They don't have the luxury of ignoring the OTs again this offseason.