• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Possibilities at WR

I think it's pretty obvious we need another WR, and I doubt T.O. is coming back. While I'd like to think Steve Johnson will step up and be a #2, I wouldn't count on it. So here are a couple thoughts for the WR position:

1) Kevin Walter

He was a good possession receiver in Houston, and he's an UFA, so we wouldn't have to give up any compensation to get him. It sounds as though Houston is going to move on. The problems are that he's coming off of an injury. I think he's decent, but I don't know if he's the star quality #2 we need.

2) Anthony Gonzalez

I don't think this is very likely because Indy probably doesn't want to give up the WR depth they've built over the last few years. While he's also coming off of an injury, his role in Indy's offense is a little obscure. Garcon's abilities have pretty well solidified him as the #2, and Collie is a good slot WR. We'd obviously have to trade for him - either a pick or a player. The only player I could see Indy being interested in is Kyle Williams.

Since I don't like starting threads just to name one or two players I'd like to get in the offseason, I'd like to hear what you think of these two possibilities, as well as what you want to do to fill our #2 WR spot.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Possibilities at WR

Fancy you should say Kevin Walter.. (See Walter thread)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Dez Bryant @ #9. If not, Brandon Lafell or Aerelious Benn in round 2. If Lafell even falls that far.
      Last edited by Mahdi; 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

How does anyone really know what Johnson or Hardy can or cannot do ? Outside of preseason either barely played. I wouldn't trust the judgement of the previous band of losers to judge talent properly. We all know their numerous mistakes, and wasting time with Josh Reed instead of playing those two guys is one of them.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by k-oneputt
          How does anyone really know what Johnson or Hardy can or cannot do ? Outside of preseason either barely played. I wouldn't trust the judgement of the previous band of losers to judge talent properly. We all know their numerous mistakes, and wasting time with Josh Reed instead of playing those two guys is one of them.
          I wish they had played those guys more also. I'd trust the previous regime's late-round picks more than I'd trust their early-round picks. After all, we've had numerous 1st and 2nd round pick busts the last few years, but have had relatively good success with the late-rounders.

I think Johnson and Hardy at least deserve a shot at significant PT.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Besides Walter, if the Bills want to "hire" an established #2 WR, I would think Chris Chambers would be the next best option.

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              Besides Walter, if the Bills want to "hire" an established #2 WR, I would think Chris Chambers would be the next best option.
              Chambers would be a decent stopgap if the price is right.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by EDS
                Chambers would be a decent stopgap if the price is right.
                Stopgap certainly is the word of the week, isn't it. Stopgap this, stopgap that. We are going to have a roster full of stopgaps...if that isn't what we had last year.

I am starting to warm to Mahdi's choice of Bryant at #9. I know that will not be popular, with the retirement of Butler, who could have possibly been beat out by Meredith anyway. It is kind of hard to argue with BPA when talking about Bryant.

An argument could definitely be made that selecting a WR at #9 is a bad idea...and I give that a lot of merit. That is the only thing that holds me back from joining Mahdi is the Official Dez at #9 Fan Club.

Chambers is a real NFL player. He played well in KC last year, and would be better than a "stopgap," in my opinion. He is definitely a better player than Reed. I wouldn't be hurt if Reed wasn't brought back.

Johnson/Hardy...ahh yes, the debate rages on. Stevie "Mutha*****in" Johnson, an obvious talent being wasted. His 13 career catches were not your usual 7th round draft pick catches...no sir! The way he shredded the Cleveland and Jets, which were his multiple reception games, was amazing. It pretty much kicked off the mania. Listen...I hope he does well, but people calling for him to be our #2 are reaching a little bit on that one. The best part is when the poster has completely trashed every starter on the team, then makes a case for SJ.

Hardy...you mean James Hardy? I agree he deserves a chance, but he was flat out horrible in his rookie year until the injury. I would love to think he has been honing his skills, but he tore his ACL, so the truth is he wasn't running for a long time....not like that was his strong suit to begin with.

I think we have to something at WR, and Chambers is a decent option, I feel. I won't even call him stopgap.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
                  Stopgap certainly is the word of the week, isn't it. Stopgap this, stopgap that. We are going to have a roster full of stopgaps...if that isn't what we had last year.

I am starting to warm to Mahdi's choice of Bryant at #9. I know that will not be popular, with the retirement of Butler, who could have possibly been beat out by Meredith anyway. It is kind of hard to argue with BPA when talking about Bryant.

An argument could definitely be made that selecting a WR at #9 is a bad idea...and I give that a lot of merit. That is the only thing that holds me back from joining Mahdi is the Official Dez at #9 Fan Club.

Chambers is a real NFL player. He played well in KC last year, and would be better than a "stopgap," in my opinion. He is definitely a better player than Reed. I wouldn't be hurt if Reed wasn't brought back.

Johnson/Hardy...ahh yes, the debate rages on. Stevie "Mutha*****in" Johnson, an obvious talent being wasted. His 13 career catches were not your usual 7th round draft pick catches...no sir! The way he shredded the Cleveland and Jets, which were his multiple reception games, was amazing. It pretty much kicked off the mania. Listen...I hope he does well, but people calling for him to be our #2 are reaching a little bit on that one. The best part is when the poster has completely trashed every starter on the team, then makes a case for SJ.

Hardy...you mean James Hardy? I agree he deserves a chance, but he was flat out horrible in his rookie year until the injury. I would love to think he has been honing his skills, but he tore his ACL, so the truth is he wasn't running for a long time....not like that was his strong suit to begin with.

I think we have to something at WR, and Chambers is a decent option, I feel. I won't even call him stopgap.
                  Hardy, I'm not confident will even be in the league much longer unless he really shows something soon. Johnson has the most promise of the 2 in my opinion because when he did get the opportunity, he really showed something to get our hopes up. I personally would like to see him taking over at slot, and bringing in Chambers as #2 wouldn't upset me at all. There is no denying we need help at the position.

Comment

• more cowbell
                    • Apr 2006

chambers was lee evans teammate in college...that would be a good pick up.

I still think torry holt would be a good fit
                    The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• Griff
                      • Jul 2008

yeah he's a Gaily guy.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by more cowbell

Was he? (Chambers)
                        I never knew that.. Good stuff man

Comment

• more cowbell
                          • Apr 2006

Was he? (Chambers)
                          I never knew that.. Good stuff man
                          yeah they both played at wisconsin...chambers was a year ahead...but i think evans was two draft classes later because he blew out his knee one year
                          The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by more cowbell

I agree. Holt would be an excellent pick up. He would probably be on the cheap too, wouldn't you think?

Comment

• bigbub2352
                              • Feb 2005

malcom floyd would be a solid pick up, i like the Walter idea, we need a guy who can come in and give us effort on every down

also we got to see what we got in Hardy and johnson
                              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

Working...
                              X