PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Files: Kevin Walter

patmoran2006
02-19-2010, 10:29 AM
(running a series profiling players that could fit into the Buffalo Bills’ plans leading up to the start of free agency on March 5. Today we look at Houston Texans wide receiver Kevin Walter)

Let’s face facts. Without a collective bargaining agreement in place before the start of free agency, the talent pool available to teams eager to plug holes is diminished. At certain positions more than others the cupboard becomes really bare. At t wide receiver there are very few players capable of making an instant impact.

Kevin Walter is one of them.

A free agency marriage between the Buffalo Bills and Walter would be one made in heaven. There are many holes on the Bills roster discussed daily, but wide receiver isn’t one of them. With Terrell Owens having a foot and a half out the door and Josh Reed likely behind him, the Bills have an unheralded need at wide receiver. Sure, James Hardy and Stevie Johnson still have potential, but neither has done nearly enough in their two years in the league to show they’re starter-ready.

Walter is a complete beast and the perfect complimentary partner to a receiver like Lee Evans. In his last three years as a starter in Houston next to Andre Johnson, Walter has put up ideal No. 2 numbers. He’s had at least 60 receptions and 800 yards in two of the last three seasons to earn a reputation as one of the game’s paramount possession receivers.

But more than the statistics, Walter brings numerous intangibles that fit perfectly with Buffalo. Unlike Owens he’s completely unselfish. He’s physical to the point of absurdity and is one of the few receivers in the league who enjoys blocking as much if not more than hauling in passes.

The problem lies in signing him. Walter is one of a few in free agency actually benefiting from no CBA. With a deal Walter would have to compete with Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin, Braylon Edwards and Malcom Floyd among others for top dollar. But as things stand him and Chris Chambers are the only two ‘name’ receivers set to hit the market. Chambers is talented but has had his struggles over the past year and will be 32 before the 2010 season begins. That may or may not be a deterrent. (We’ll profile Chambers at a later date).

This could lead to Walter getting overpaid somewhat and if Buffalo or any team wants him they’re going to have to pony up. There’s sure to be plenty of competition as for starters Houston badly wants him back. Miami, Baltimore, Cincinnati and Tampa Bay among others are rumored to have interest.

Without a CBA deal in place, Houston has more money they can throw at him. DeMarco Ryans would be unrestricted, which would force the Texans to commit more money to him. The same goes for disgruntled tight end Owen Daniels. But as things stand now they can simply slap a couple of high tenders and move on to the next guy, which may be Walter.

If I’m Buddy Nix, despite a palpable need for an influx of talent on the defense I’d take a run at Walter. He’ll help the offense in both the running and passing games. By all accounts he’s a high character guy and understands his role as a complimentary player.

It would also take pressure off Hardy and/or Johnson to become a starter quicker than they’re ready and allow them to fight it out for the third receiver spot. Granted, the Bills did invest a second rounder in Hardy in 2008 with intentions of making him a starter, but I’ll venture to say Chan Gailey doesn’t care if he was picked in the second round, second overall or second from last in the draft. If he makes the roster and gets on the field he’ll deserve it. Ditto for Johnson.

I don’t see Buffalo addressing wide receiver early in the draft. Those are picks that need to solidify the trenches on both sides of the ball. The team lacks guys who can rush the passer and ones that can block them. I don’t see Nix going anywhere else early in the draft and other than Dez Bryant a receiver early would be getting cute when this draft needs to be one of nastiness.

Then there’s the whole quarterback thing. Whether it’s Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm, a rookie or free agent pick up, they need weapons to throw the ball to. Evans had a rough enough season with Owens taking away double teams. Can you imagine the frustration he’ll feel if teams go back to double and triple teams on him every Sunday?

There are few sure bets in this year’s free agent class and Walter is unmistakably one of them. If Ralph Wilson opens up the check book for just a few come March 5, it’d be astute to cut a nice check out to Walter.

psubills62
02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Haha I was wondering "what Kevin Walter thread?" Then I saw this.

I agree, he will probably get a decent number of offers from WR-needy teams. It would be hard to sign him.

Though I'm wondering where you're getting the idea that Houston wants him back? Pretty much everything I've read up to this point gives the opposite impression.

patmoran2006
02-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Haha I was wondering "what Kevin Walter thread?" Then I saw this.

I agree, he will probably get a decent number of offers from WR-needy teams. It would be hard to sign him.

Though I'm wondering where you're getting the idea that Houston wants him back? Pretty much everything I've read up to this point gives the opposite impression.

I've both heard and read a few articles that they want Walter back.. And like I said its easier for them because they can now tag Ryans and Daniels isntead of having to give them long term deals in UFA right now because of the CBA.

Ickybaluky
02-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I've both heard and read a few articles that they want Walter back.. And like I said its easier for them because they can now tag Ryans and Daniels isntead of having to give them long term deals in UFA right now because of the CBA.

I'd question how far they are going to extend themselves for Walter. They have real high hopes for Jacoby Jones, who they see as the #2 next year. They have David Anderson as a #3 if Walter leaves. I could see Walter, with his size and decent production in Houston, attracting enough interest that Houston can't match up contract-wise.

psubills62
02-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd question how far they are going to extend themselves for Walter. They have real high hopes for Jacoby Jones, who they see as the #2 next year. They have David Anderson as a #3 if Walter leaves. I could see Walter, with his size and decent production in Houston, attracting enough interest that Houston can't match up contract-wise.

Yeah...Kubiak often goes out of his way to say that Jacoby Jones is a #1 or #2 WR in the league. We'll see, but it doesn't seem like they're going to go to great efforts to keep Walter.

patmoran2006
02-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Even if Houston doesn't, Walter will be a commodity in the market.

patmoran2006
02-19-2010, 11:40 AM
WR Kevin Walter, a starter for the last three seasons, is wanted back. He's unselfish, physical, blocks like a fiend and runs any route.

If the Texans lose receiver Kevin Walter through free agency, you'll see a lot of mock drafts having them taking a receiver in the first round. Don't count on it.

The coaches want Walter back. He starts opposite Andre Johnson. Walter had 53 catches for 611 yards and two touchdowns. If he leaves, they want to see what Jacoby Jones can do if he's elevated into a prominent role.

Jones, who is entering his fourth season, had 27 catches for 437 yards (16.2-yard average) and six touchdowns. He averaged 10.9 on punt returns and 26.6 on kickoff returns, including a touchdown.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/hou/report

psubills62
02-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Texans GM Rick Smith revealed that he met with the player rep for free agent Kevin Walter on Thursday night.

Smith, however, emerged from the meeting not overly optimistic about retaining the possession receiver. "You can't keep everybody," he said. Walter will be one of the top gets on the open market and would best serve himself by testing it. The Texans can move on with Jacoby Jones and Andre' Davis.

That's on rotoworld.com.