the next Howard Ballard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the next Howard Ballard?

With the retirement of Butler, we now may find ourselves looking for two bookends on the OL. Whilst Bell, Meredith, or Scott plus others might surprise, two OT in the draft will not surprise.

As an RT is not required to be as athletic it would not surprise to discover a starting RT found on Day3, and here is a small school prospect who could easily immitate 'House'

From ESPN:

"Morehouse College is home to one of the most interesting prospects in the '10 class -- OT Ramon Harewood. He is from the Barbados and has limited football experience, but he is smart and an elite athlete who could become an NFL starting left tackle.

Harewood (6-6 1/4, 359) is a developmental prospect, but he could rise up draft boards quickly this spring with good pre-draft workouts. The biggest knock on Harewood, oddly, is his intelligence. He is an outstanding student with an applied physics and engineering major, so some scouts wonder how important football is to him."

What is doesn't mention is that prior to football, he played a lot of rugby, cricket and soccer in his youth and with a low Day3 pick, we might discover a genuine diamond.
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: the next Howard Ballard?

Originally posted by kernowboy
    With the retirement of Butler, we now may find ourselves looking for two bookends on the OL. Whilst Bell, Meredith, or Scott plus others might surprise, two OT in the draft will not surprise.

As an RT is not required to be as athletic it would not surprise to discover a starting RT found on Day3, and here is a small school prospect who could easily immitate 'House'

From ESPN:

"Morehouse College is home to one of the most interesting prospects in the '10 class -- OT Ramon Harewood. He is from the Barbados and has limited football experience, but he is smart and an elite athlete who could become an NFL starting left tackle.

Harewood (6-6 1/4, 359) is a developmental prospect, but he could rise up draft boards quickly this spring with good pre-draft workouts. The biggest knock on Harewood, oddly, is his intelligence. He is an outstanding student with an applied physics and engineering major, so some scouts wonder how important football is to him."

What is doesn't mention is that prior to football, he played a lot of rugby, cricket and soccer in his youth and with a low Day3 pick, we might discover a genuine diamond.
    I don't like any other OT at #9 outside of Okung so I hope we find a diamond somewhere.

Jared Veldheer could be a good pick also in rounds 3-4.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Ballard was kind of an anomaly and drafted a year prior to actually joining the pro's (I forget the exact circumstances, to be honest). He would have been a really high pick in '88.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Dicknoze69
        Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
        I don't like any other OT at #9 outside of Okung so I hope we find a diamond somewhere.

Jared Veldheer could be a good pick also in rounds 3-4.
        Another lower round guy to keep an eye on is T Rodger Saffold from Indiana. He's a four year starter there. We recently hired his former college line coach to be our assistant offensive line coach.

God give me style and give me grace
        God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
          Another lower round guy to keep an eye on is T Rodger Saffold from Indiana. He's a four year starter there. We recently hired his former college line coach to be our assistant offensive line coach.
          Jared Veldheer is an athletic freak from a DII school, he may be worth a look also in maybe the 3rd-4th round.

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

From ESPN:

Theres a few guys that might be decent.

Guys like Calloway, Sam Young (may be a 3rd rounder), Kyle Jolly, Lee Ziemba, Zane Beadles, Zipp Duncan, maybe even Kevin Haslam (although he may need to be moved to G). Matt Reynolds is another guy I like in the mid rounds. Jerail McCuller is another.

Its a deep class at RT, much thinner at LT.

One more thing, I will be shocked if we don't sign or trade for a T before draft day. Everyone including the Bills knows its a priority.
            Last edited by X-Era; 02-20-2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• Buddo
              • Mar 2007

From ESPN:

The last bit is quite interesting. These are all other 'ball sports' that would require decent athleticism to be able to play at a moderate standard. As such, it could be quite possible for him to play LT eventually, as he could have the necessary athleticism to do so. Both soccer and cricket require decent footwork, albeit of a different type, but if you have that ability, being taught the right footwork to play tackle, shouldn't be too hard to pick up.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

as big as he is, the Bills should draft him and make him a NT.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

I'm thinking as we need both LT and RT in all likelihood, we will possibly go high for the left sided bookend but then see what we might get towards the bottom of the draft again.

At 360lbs he's got to be a load in the running game as a RT

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Just scouted him in the Iowa game... Heres my comments:

Rodger Saffold, Indiana Height: 6-5. Weight: 319. Projected 40 Time: 5.13. Projected Round (2010): 3. Comments: 2/20/2010- vs. Iowa (replay)- Tall, relatively thin build. Starts at LT. Quick feet for a big man, kick slides pretty well. Doing a decent job creating the wall on the pass (1st 12:17). Gets knocked down on

I'm impressed with his polish in the pass game... id like to have him as our RT to be honest.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Jan 2010

jared veldheer could be another sebastian vollmer

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
                        jared veldheer could be another sebastian vollmer
                        or another Demetrius Bell

Comment