• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Props for Thurman

Yes, his 'tweets' are annoying as hell and there are other issues he should be paying attention to other than sticking his nose into the Bills organization, but credit should be given when it's due...

Conewango Valley Country Club will be hosting the first Ladies Open golf tournament on Friday, June 28 in Warren, Pa. The event is a four-woman scramble with payouts to the top six teams gross and net. Contact chairpersons Marlene Sandberg (814-688-1607) or Jan Brown (814-598-4250). Pictured are Sandberg, left, and Brown. Missing are Hallie Dubia […]

Former Buffalo Bills running back Thurman Thomas came through in the clutch for the Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame on Monday.

The guest speaker at the organization's induction dinner that night was supposed to be former NFL quarterback Ken Stabler, who lives in Mobile, Ala. He was planning to fly from Atlanta on Monday morning, but on Sunday night inclement weather hit the area. Around 10:30 p.m. induction dinner chairman Chip Johnson was informed it wasn't looking good for Stabler to arrive, but more would be known in the morning.

On Monday morning, Atlanta still had poor weather, mainly sleet, and flights were being canceled. At about 6:30 a.m., Johnson was informed Stabler was trapped in the "sunny South" while here in the snowbelt the weather was fine.

Fortunately, the contact who was handling the arrangements for Stabler also had Thomas as a client. By 8:30 a.m., Thomas was on board to speak at the dinner. So the guest speaker went from being a former NFL quarterback to a Hall of Fame NFL running back.

Not bad for a pinch-hitter.

But this pinch-hitter did not just make an appearance at the plate and return to the bench.

Filling in at the last minute might lead to the speaker being less than enthusiastic, but that wasn't Thomas. He signed endless autographs during the hospitality hour before the induction dinner. After the dinner was served, the five new inductees were honored and it was obvious Thomas had paid attention to what was happening. When it was finally his turn to speak and wrap up the evening, Thomas made reference to each inductee and made off-the-cuff remarks, which also described his talk.

There was no reading from a prepared and dog-eared banquet speech that he had used over and over.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Beebe's Kid
    • Nov 2009

Re: Props for Thurman

That is a good story. Good job, Thurman!

Does anybody know who the baseball player was?
    Last edited by Beebe's Kid; 02-20-2010, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
      • Nov 2009

I Googled it...It was Goose Gossage

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Don't know, but I'll try and find out.

Edit: Nevermind
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• wmoz11
          • Sep 2008

Thanks for posting this, YardRat.

Good for Thurman. I'm glad that someone in this organization knows how to do things the right way, for once.
          Last edited by wmoz11; 02-20-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• SaviorEdwards
            • Feb 2010

I think its redundant to say 'his tweets....are annoying as hell' I find the whole Twitter thing and anyone who contributes to it annoying as hell.
            "The best things to happen to Michigan Football have come from Ohio." - Chris Spielman

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by SaviorEdwards
              I think its redundant to say 'his tweets....are annoying as hell' I find the whole Twitter thing and anyone who contributes to it annoying as hell.
              Fastest way to get any news.

Comment

Working...
              X