PDA

View Full Version : Props for Thurman

YardRat
02-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes, his 'tweets' are annoying as hell and there are other issues he should be paying attention to other than sticking his nose into the Bills organization, but credit should be given when it's due...

http://www.post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/551716.html?nav=5019&showlayout=0

Former Buffalo Bills running back Thurman Thomas came through in the clutch for the Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame on Monday.

The guest speaker at the organization's induction dinner that night was supposed to be former NFL quarterback Ken Stabler, who lives in Mobile, Ala. He was planning to fly from Atlanta on Monday morning, but on Sunday night inclement weather hit the area. Around 10:30 p.m. induction dinner chairman Chip Johnson was informed it wasn't looking good for Stabler to arrive, but more would be known in the morning.

On Monday morning, Atlanta still had poor weather, mainly sleet, and flights were being canceled. At about 6:30 a.m., Johnson was informed Stabler was trapped in the "sunny South" while here in the snowbelt the weather was fine.

Fortunately, the contact who was handling the arrangements for Stabler also had Thomas as a client. By 8:30 a.m., Thomas was on board to speak at the dinner. So the guest speaker went from being a former NFL quarterback to a Hall of Fame NFL running back.

Not bad for a pinch-hitter.

But this pinch-hitter did not just make an appearance at the plate and return to the bench.

Filling in at the last minute might lead to the speaker being less than enthusiastic, but that wasn't Thomas. He signed endless autographs during the hospitality hour before the induction dinner. After the dinner was served, the five new inductees were honored and it was obvious Thomas had paid attention to what was happening. When it was finally his turn to speak and wrap up the evening, Thomas made reference to each inductee and made off-the-cuff remarks, which also described his talk.

There was no reading from a prepared and dog-eared banquet speech that he had used over and over.

Beebe's Kid
02-20-2010, 09:15 PM
That is a good story. Good job, Thurman!

Does anybody know who the baseball player was?

Beebe's Kid
02-20-2010, 09:18 PM
I Googled it...It was Goose Gossage

YardRat
02-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Don't know, but I'll try and find out.

Edit: Nevermind :D

wmoz11
02-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks for posting this, YardRat.

Good for Thurman. I'm glad that someone in this organization knows how to do things the right way, for once.

SaviorEdwards
02-20-2010, 11:36 PM
I think its redundant to say 'his tweets....are annoying as hell' I find the whole Twitter thing and anyone who contributes to it annoying as hell.

The Spaz
02-20-2010, 11:39 PM
I think its redundant to say 'his tweets....are annoying as hell' I find the whole Twitter thing and anyone who contributes to it annoying as hell.

Fastest way to get any news.