PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Anthony Davis

patmoran2006
02-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Anthony Davis (OT)-Rutgers
6’6, 325lbs

Strengths:
Anthony Davis is a mountain of a man. At six-foot six and 325 pounds he looks like he could swallow smaller defensive ends whole. He’s even more impressive of a physical specimen when you see him stretch out his arms to reveal his enormous wing span, which he uses to help keep pass rushers at bay.

He’s exceptionally strong as most of physique is muscle, and he surprisingly good athleticism for such a big man. Davis demonstrates excellent footwork in his blocking. He maintains a solid base to keep him well balanced and he’s constantly able to maintain leverage.

One of the best attributes Davis has is his nastiness and aggression when it comes to playing offensive tackle. He takes great pride in not only beating his opponent but absolutely demolishing him.

The versatility Davis possesses also increases his value. He initially started his career inside at guard and was eventually moved to tackle due to his size and abilities. He still has the ability to move back inside and become a Leonard Davis-type player. Davis is also extremely explosive when coming off the snap. He can fire out from a three point stance and deliver a very good punch to his opponent.

Weaknesses:
Davis has two issues which drive me up the wall as far as evaluating pro potential. First off he takes plays off; it’s clear when reviewing the tape he clearly has taken plays off.

Secondly Davis has maturity issues and that’s always a concern for general managers. He was suspended twice this past season for a violation of team rules. One was for being late to practice, which I cannot begin to describe how big of a red flag this is for me.

Davis also has some issues on the field which bother me as well. One of the biggest has to do with his lateral quickness, Davis is so big that in the Big East he was able to really just rely on his size and ends having to run around him to pass protect against speed rushers. He really needs to work on kick step in order to get back quicker and stay with speed rushers.

Lastly, anytime you have a man this big you’re going to worry about conditioning issues, I’ve seen him wear down in games and that just won’t cut it in the NFL.

How he fits the Bills:
Some see him as a left tackle but I project him on the right side. Right now the Bills have a number of potential right tackles next season but nobody who really stands out of the crowd. Davis could easily be that guy if he shows the ability that he did at Rutgers.

Could Davis man the left side? Yes he could but I have too many questions about his game on and off the field to really think the risk is worth it. One thing I think could be in Davis’ is future is a move inside to guard, which really helped out Leonard Davis’s career, a player I compared him to earlier.
Davis’ versatility does make him a very intriguing pick because even if he doesn’t work out at one position you can try him elsewhere.

Projection: 1<SUP>st</SUP> Round Pick. He’ll definitely be gone by the end of the first half of round one, and should be on the board at nine should the Bills decide they want him.

- Matt Elder (Draftboy)

Mahdi
02-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Would hate to draft him anywhere in the first 20 picks.

He doesn't use his power to his advantage, and has a weak initial punch into the chest of defenders, does not lock on particularly well.

Only 2 OTs are worth #9. Okung and Bulaga. I wouldn't take Bulaga at #9 only because I believe there will be higher value for us on the board. Ie. Dez Bryant.

kernowboy
02-22-2010, 09:33 AM
I'd moved Davis ahead of Bruce Campbell, but I think Campbell might be the better long term pick

The Spaz
02-22-2010, 09:37 AM
He has been reprimanded 2 times for being over weight. This past season he came into camp overweight and the beginning of his Sophmore year.

JCBills
02-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't get how people who watch his tape don't notice him being unable to stop inside pass rush moves completely. The DE rides him to the outside, spins back in, and he gets beat just about every time.

DraftBoy
02-22-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't get how people who watch his tape don't notice him being unable to stop inside pass rush moves completely. The DE rides him to the outside, spins back in, and he gets beat just about every time.

You can also ride him to the outside the whole way. His issue with lateral quickness affects his ability to go both outside or inside, specifically when he has to change directions like you point when a DE spins back in on him.

DraftBoy
02-22-2010, 11:30 AM
I'd moved Davis ahead of Bruce Campbell, but I think Campbell might be the better long term pick

I wouldn't do that.

JCBills
02-22-2010, 11:48 AM
I hate the OT draft debate.

Last year several OTs received A TON of hype, with experts basically saying the top 3 were NFL ready, and the few behind them not far off. The 4th OT taken ended up being the best last year, and I'm not sold on many of this year's top prospects.

DraftBoy
02-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I hate the OT draft debate.

Last year several OTs received A TON of hype, with experts basically saying the top 3 were NFL ready, and the few behind them not far off. The 4th OT taken ended up being the best last year, and I'm not sold on many of this year's top prospects.

I rank them;

Okung
Bulaga
Campbell
Davis
Williams
Ducasse
Capers

JCBills
02-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I rank them;

Okung
Bulaga
Campbell
Davis
Williams
Ducasse
Capers

I'm personally hoping for Saffold in the 3rd or 4th because I'm just not sure anyone outside Okung is worth it.

DraftBoy
02-22-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm personally hoping for Saffold in the 3rd or 4th because I'm just not sure anyone outside Okung is worth it.

I would disagree and Im not sold on Saffold because I think he will go late 2nd early 3rd and I dont think his value is worth that pick.

JCBills
02-22-2010, 11:59 AM
I would disagree and Im not sold on Saffold because I think he will go late 2nd early 3rd and I dont think his value is worth that pick.

I just feel it's such a hit or miss position, and a lot of the prospects are projects, a lot of them just missing that little piece.

DraftBoy
02-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I just feel it's such a hit or miss position, and a lot of the prospects are projects, a lot of them just missing that little piece.

Its really all about them going into a situation where they can get coached well. If you have a good OL coach I feel like your team has a much better chance at being successful.

PECKERWOOD
02-22-2010, 03:45 PM
I rank them;

Okung
Bulaga
Campbell
Davis
Williams
Ducasse
Capers

Where is Charles Brown???

DraftBoy
02-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Below Capers

Mahdi
02-23-2010, 07:08 AM
If Charles Brown weighs in at 305 his stock will rise. If he weighs in at 285-290 he will be a low second to 3rd round pick.

DraftBoy
02-23-2010, 07:36 AM
If Charles Brown weighs in at 305 his stock will rise. If he weighs in at 285-290 he will be a low second to 3rd round pick.

And until that I can't rank him in the top 7 OT's.