PDA

View Full Version : Loss is good for Canada

northernbillfan
02-22-2010, 12:00 PM
This will give the team an extra game to get their **** together. They've been playing like a bunch of all stars and this is not an all star competition.

Bench Brodeur. Start Luongo for the rest of the games. Teach the players not to play like prima donnas and play more like a team.

I do have to tip my hat to Miller as he was amazing, especially in the last few minutes of the third where he literally stood on his head.

DMBcrew36
02-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Bench Brodeur and play Luongo is exactly all that they need to do. I was absolutely shocked yesterday when I learned Brodeur was getting the start. I said they would regret it and I think they do.

RockStar36
02-22-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree with most of what you said NBF, but I'm not so sure it's "good" for them seeing that they will now have to face Russia in the next round (assuming they win their next game).

northernbillfan
02-22-2010, 12:37 PM
I agree with most of what you said NBF, but I'm not so sure it's "good" for them seeing that they will now have to face Russia in the next round (assuming they win their next game).Russia doesn't have much of a defense right now. Canada may be a little too high powered for them to handle. However Canada would need a stellar performance from whomever is is net.

Forward_Lateral
02-22-2010, 12:50 PM
They are going to have to beat Russia anyways if they want to win gold, so facing them a round or 2 earlier doesn't really matter.

I think guys like Pronger and Niedermeyer need a wake-up call as well, as both of them played like complete garbage last night.

RockStar36
02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
They are going to have to beat Russia anyways if they want to win gold, so facing them a round or 2 earlier doesn't really matter.

I think guys like Pronger and Niedermeyer need a wake-up call as well, as both of them played like complete garbage last night.

Niedermeyer especially. His play after the second period was over was garbage.

Forward_Lateral
02-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Niedermeyer especially. His play after the second period was over was garbage.

When they named him captain, I was pissed. I don't think he should've even made the team, to be honest. Pronger, the same thing.

Kudos to the US for not picking dinosaurs with past Olympic glory, and going with younger guys who are hungry to taste glory.

RockStar36
02-22-2010, 12:58 PM
When they named him captain, I was pissed. I don't think he should've even made the team, to be honest. Pronger, the same thing.

Kudos to the US for not picking dinosaurs with past Olympic glory, and going with younger guys who are hungry to taste glory.

Very true.

Lucky for you, Burke will be turning your NHL team around soon enough too.

ct bills fan
02-22-2010, 01:57 PM
It's good for Canada? Whom would you rather have to play to get the Gold Medal Game - Switzerland and Finland or Czechloslavakia (US route) or Germany, Russia and Sweden (Canadian probable route)? What's good about that?

Ebenezer
02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
It's good for Canada? Whom would you rather have to play to get the Gold Medal Game - Switzerland and Finland or Czechloslavakia (US route) or Germany, Russia and Sweden (Canadian probable route)? What's good about that?

very true...now let's just hope that the US doesn't crap out against a weaker sister.

RockStar36
02-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I could see the win being "bad for the US" because now with the top seed, they are the favorites. Plus with all the celebrating done from this game, they could come out flat in the next game and have an early trip home.

northernbillfan
02-22-2010, 02:35 PM
It's good for Canada? Whom would you rather have to play to get the Gold Medal Game - Switzerland and Finland or Czechloslavakia (US route) or Germany, Russia and Sweden (Canadian probable route)? What's good about that?It's good for Canada as this loss should serve as a wake up call for the team.

northernbillfan
02-22-2010, 02:36 PM
It's good for Canada? Whom would you rather have to play to get the Gold Medal Game - Switzerland and Finland or Czechloslavakia (US route) or Germany, Russia and Sweden (Canadian probable route)? What's good about that?Oh and it's the Czech Republic. Slovakia is it's own nation now.

YardRat
02-22-2010, 03:00 PM
I thought the Swiss game was a wake-up call?

DrGraves
02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
America is officially better than Canada in every possible way now. If they are lucky we'll let them be the 51st state.

Forward_Lateral
02-22-2010, 03:30 PM

What's the point of asking a question that you already know the answer to? NBF was insinuating (and he's right) that Canada needed a wake up call. If that loss doesn't wake them up, nothing will.

ct bills fan
02-22-2010, 04:02 PM
What's the point of asking a question that you already know the answer to? NBF was insinuating (and he's right) that Canada needed a wake up call. If that loss doesn't wake them up, nothing will.

Because it was a retorical question. We're not allowed to debate a statement on this board? Lighten up.

Forward_Lateral
02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Because it was a retorical question. We're not allowed to debate a statement on this board? Lighten up.

It wasn't rhetorical, it was stupid, with an obvious answer.

Ebenezer
02-22-2010, 06:58 PM
America is officially better than Canada in every possible way now. If they are lucky we'll let them be the 51st state.
Every possible way??

Canadian beer > American beer
Canadian curling > American curling
Canadian strippers > American strippers.

Looks like a shut out to me.

Forward_Lateral
02-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Be careful Eb, you'll get accused of being Un-American.

Ebenezer
02-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Be careful Eb, you'll get accused of being Un-American.
Un-American? On Washington's birthday, I cannot tell a lie!

Forward_Lateral
02-22-2010, 07:20 PM
:rofl:

Ingtar33
02-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Every possible way??

yeah.. i'll agree with this list.

DMBcrew36
02-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Every possible way??

I agree with that list besides beer. Name 3 breweries in Canada better than Dogfish Head, Stone Brewing, and Sierra Nevada.

Your macrobreweries may be better than ours... but the U.S. has better craft brews.

Forward_Lateral
02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
I agree with that list besides beer. Name 3 breweries in Canada better than Dogfish Head, Stone Brewing, and Sierra Nevada.

Your macrobreweries may be better than ours... but the U.S. has better craft brews.

Labatt's
Molson
Alexander Keith's

DMBcrew36
02-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Labatt's
Molson
Alexander Keith's

sarcasm? LOL

Incase you're actually serious...

Brewery Ratings from BeerAdvocate.com:
Molson C-
Labatt C-
Alexander Keiths C

Dogfish Head B+
Stone Brewing A
Sierra Nevada A

Forward_Lateral
02-23-2010, 11:37 AM
sarcasm? LOL

Molson C-
Labatt C-
Alexander Keiths C

Dogfish Head B+
Stone Brewing A
Sierra Nevada A

Anyone who gives Alexander Keith's a C should not consider themselves a beer advocate. Sorry.

Ebenezer
02-23-2010, 11:44 AM
sarcasm? LOL

Molson C-
Labatt C-
Alexander Keiths C

Dogfish Head B+
Stone Brewing A
Sierra Nevada A

first off...I am an American...

second...I brewed my own beer for years so I think I can talk about beers...

better Canadian beers than American Microbrews:
Camerons
Rickards
Keiths
Wellington
Sleeman's trois pistoles (9%).

DMBcrew36
02-23-2010, 11:51 AM
first off...I am an American...

second...I brewed my own beer for years so I think I can talk about beers...

better Canadian beers than American Microbrews:
Camerons
Rickards
Keiths
Wellington
Sleeman's trois pistoles (9%).

I've drank my fair share of Rickards and Keith, on tap and in bottle. I don't even consider them microbrews. They are better than American macrobrews, but definitely not better than top American micros. I've never had the other three, so I can't speak for them, but in my numerous times at pubs in Toronto and Ottawa, I have yet to find any SERIOUS Canadian microbrewers - besides Unibroue in Montreal.

Show me a Canadian beer that is anywhere near a Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/33832), or a Stone Ruination (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/4083)

DMBcrew36
02-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Anyone who gives Alexander Keith's a C should not consider themselves a beer advocate. Sorry.

It isn't a person, BRO, it's thousands of people who vote on the beers and then the average beer ratings are weighted to give a rating for the brewery.

DMBcrew36
02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Cameron's B- (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3912)
Wellington B (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/618)

It doesn't have a rating for Trois Pistoles from Sleeman but their brewery gets a C (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/415).

RockStar36
02-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, good job ruining this thread guys.

Drink the beer you like. Don't base your opinions on what a website says.

DMBcrew36
02-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, good job ruining this thread guys.

Drink the beer you like. Don't base your opinions on what a website says.

Well duh, but I can't help but call someone out if they actually think Canadian beer > American. And it isn't just a website. It's collections of thousands of peoples beer ratings.

DMBcrew36
02-23-2010, 12:23 PM
ANYWAYS...

Canada will beat Germany tonight and face Russia tomorrow. I can't wait to see Canada v Russia with the rivalry between Canadian and Russian hockey circles. I'm sure Don Cherry will have something to say with the disdain he has for Russian hockey.

RockStar36
02-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Well duh, but I can't help but call someone out if they actually think Canadian beer > American. And it isn't just a website. It's collections of thousands of peoples beer ratings.

I think it goes without saying that everything American is better.

RockStar36
02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
ANYWAYS...

Canada will beat Germany tonight and face Russia tomorrow. I can't wait to see Canada v Russia with the rivalry between Canadian and Russian hockey circles. I'm sure Don Cherry will have something to say with the disdain he has for Russian hockey.

I work till 4:30 so I'm going to have to DVR the US game and watch it on a delay. I have an exciting night of hockey lined up for sure.

Forward_Lateral
02-23-2010, 12:37 PM
ANYWAYS...

Russia's D is horrible, and although they have good goaltending, they have inferior to what Canada has faced so far with Hiller (Swiss) and Miller (US).

I hope Canada doesn't "look past" Germany, they played Sweden very tough in the round robin.

DMBcrew36
02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Dare I say Jochen Hecht has been VERY good for Germany

Ebenezer
02-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Russia's D is horrible, and although they have good goaltending, they have inferior to what Canada has faced so far with Hiller (Swiss) and Miller (US).

I hope Canada doesn't "look past" Germany, they played Sweden very tough in the round robin.

one of their best defensemen is Dimitri Kalinin...name ring a bell?

DMBcrew36
02-23-2010, 12:43 PM
one of their best defensemen is Dimitri Kalinin...name ring a bell?

It seems like a lot of these Euro players get the 'Afinogenov syndrome' and play much better in international competition than they do in the NHL. I guess part of it is probably that the tournament is much shorter, so games mean much more. Plus you're in the international spotlight. And you're playing with players who have grown up in similar training with like-minded style of play.

Forward_Lateral
02-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Dare I say Jochen Hecht has been VERY good for Germany

That entire team has played well, except for the fact that they've scored 3 goals in 3 games so far.

Ebenezer
02-23-2010, 12:46 PM
It seems like a lot of these Euro players get the 'Afinogenov syndrome' and play much better in international competition than they do in the NHL. I guess part of it is probably that the tournament is much shorter, so games mean much more. Plus you're in the international spotlight.

other side of the coin...

NHL = money

Olympic gold = national pride

most kids in the US and Canada pre-1992 dreamed of the stanley cup.
most kids in the rest of the world pre-1992 dreamed of representing their country.

northernbillfan
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
I think it goes without saying that everything American is better.http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/bzstyle2/buttons/post_groan.gif