PDA

View Full Version : Tebow trying to refine his throwing motion

Pinkerton Security
02-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Tim Tebow (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=24889) is, essentially, painting over the masterpiece he created at the University of Florida.
In an effort to quiet his critics and refine his game, Tebow is changing the way he holds a football, shifting it from his waist to his shoulder. He is concentrating on taking three- and five-step drops instead of working out of the shotgun formation he used at Florida.
He will not unveil Tebow 2.0 at this week's scouting combine in Indianapolis, preferring instead to wait for his pro day at the University of Florida on March 17.
But until then, he will continue working on improving his fundamentals in an effort to improve his draft position and his game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4935351

I have a ton of respect for the amount of work and energy this guy puts into everything he does, and I kinda hope he succeeds at the next level...even if it is not for us. It will be interesting to see how much he can actually changed before his pro day and how that will affect his draft stock.

Ebenezer
02-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Tim Tebow (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=24889) is, essentially, painting over the masterpiece he created at the University of Florida.
In an effort to quiet his critics and refine his game, Tebow is changing the way he holds a football, shifting it from his waist to his shoulder. He is concentrating on taking three- and five-step drops instead of working out of the shotgun formation he used at Florida.
He will not unveil Tebow 2.0 at this week's scouting combine in Indianapolis, preferring instead to wait for his pro day at the University of Florida on March 17.
But until then, he will continue working on improving his fundamentals in an effort to improve his draft position and his game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4935351

I have a ton of respect for the amount of work and energy this guy puts into everything he does, and I kinda hope he succeeds at the next level...even if it is not for us. It will be interesting to see how much he can actually changed before his pro day and how that will affect his draft stock.

Translation:

The kid gets what some others don't...if he doesn't change he won't be a factor in the draft or in the NFL. Remember, in the draft the higher you get selected the more your bonus money is!!

Pinkerton Security
02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Translation:

The kid gets what some others don't...if he doesn't change he won't be a factor in the draft or in the NFL. Remember, in the draft the higher you get selected the more your bonus money is!!

Hes a smart dude, and he realizes that if he works hard enough and convince someone to draft him in Round 2 or so, he will probably stick in the NFL long enough to make enough money to carry him for the rest of his life.

Ebenezer
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Hes a smart dude, and he realizes that if he works hard enough and convince someone to draft him in Round 2 or so, he will probably stick in the NFL long enough to make enough money to carry him for the rest of his life.

yeah, but one month is a rather short time to try to break a "football lifetime" of bad habits.

Pinkerton Security
02-22-2010, 01:47 PM
yeah, but one month is a rather short time to try to break a "football lifetime" of bad habits.

very true. i dont think anyone can expect him to completely change his mechanics in 1 month, but its gonna depend on the amount of progress he can make in this month that might make a GM jump at him earlier than they would have before.

better days
02-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Translation:

The higher bonus might look good in the short term, but with it come greater expectations. If Tebow is selected in the 2nd or 3rd round a team will be able to give him the time to develop, not so much if he is picked in the 1st. I think JP Losman would have had a better chance if he had been picked a little later than he was.

Ebenezer
02-22-2010, 01:50 PM
The higher bonus might look good in the short term, but with it come greater expectations. If Tebow is selected in the 2nd or 3rd round a team will be able to give him the time to develop, not so much if he is picked in the 1st. I think JP Losman would have had a better chance if he had been picked a little later than he was.

Tebow is not going in the first round regardless his throwing motion. You are right. Tebow has a better chance if he is drafted lower. but what is better...second round and not make it or fifth round and not make it? Even with a new throwing motion there are many who feel he won't make it as a QB...it's more than just throwing...the guy has never been a real QB...he hasn't had to read a defensive to save his life.

better days
02-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Tebow is not going in the first round regardless his throwing motion. You are right. Tebow has a better chance if he is drafted lower. but what is better...second round and not make it or fifth round and not make it? Even with a new throwing motion there are many who feel he won't make it as a QB...it's more than just throwing...the guy has never been a real QB...he hasn't had to read a defensive to save his life.

I am a Gator fan & have watched 90% of the games Tebow has played. He is as real of a QB as Bradford. I have seen him complete many passes even with his poor mechanics & he has played against the best college has to offer in the SEC. I believe Tebow will be a good NFL QB, it just may take him a while to get there. He has a passion for the game & a work ethic seldom seen, he will get it done.

Ebenezer
02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I am a Gator fan & have watched 90% of the games Tebow has played. He is as real of a QB as Bradford. I have seen him complete many passes even with his poor mechanics & he has played against the best college has to offer in the SEC. I believe Tebow will be a good NFL QB, it just may take him a while to get there. He has a passion for the game & a work ethic seldom seen, he will get it done.

No offense...I'll take the word of people who work in the NFL.

mikemac2001
02-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Key words i wouldnt listen to a gator fan about this subject.

tebow is far from being a top QB and but anything later then 3rd would surprise me has enough talent, work ethic and i could see him after a few years becoming a solid QB but not worth the risk

better days
02-22-2010, 02:06 PM
No offense...I'll take the word of people who work in the NFL.

No offense taken. The experts are divided on Tebow. Mike Lombardi said he thought Tebow would be a 1st rnd pick the week of the Senior Bowl & even now after his poor performance in the Senior Bowl has him going in the 2nd. Phil Simms & Jim Kelly two pretty good QB's in their day both love Tebow.

better days
02-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Key words i wouldnt listen to a gator fan about this subject.

tebow is far from being a top QB and but anything later then 3rd would surprise me has enough talent, work ethic and i could see him after a few years becoming a solid QB but not worth the risk

There is not that much risk to take him in the 2nd or 3rd. The Bills took a QB that never won in College & was known to be injury prone in the 3rd rnd.

Novacane
02-22-2010, 02:28 PM
I would never bet against Tim Tebow.

tampabay25690
02-22-2010, 02:53 PM
this is funny...

ddaryl
02-22-2010, 03:06 PM
a little to late... this isn't something you master in the months heading to the draft.

His Florida coaches let him down in that department. Should of had him working on this a long time ago.

Bravo82
02-22-2010, 03:09 PM
some haters in here.

TedMock
02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I understand this viewpoint, but it's also a lot easier for a team to cut a player the later they were drafted. Teams have so much invested in first round picks (not just the money) that I think they're usually willing to give them more time. If a guy like Losman was drafted in the 3rd or 4th and hung around forever it's because he was a backup who rarely played and never had a chance to prove he wasn't good enough to be a starting NFL QB. If he was drafted that late and took over under the same circumstances, he would have been cut sooner in my opinion. Either way, I don't think Tebow gets drafted in the first round anyway. Of course, I firmly believe the kid is a competitor and a winner, so I would never question that he will not do all in his power to succeed.

X-Era
02-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Very interesting.

Look, it doesn't matter what I think about him, or any of us thinks about him. Its what teams will think about him. He will have to convince teams that he has an NFL arm. If he can do that from a one day or two day workout, then he has everything else you want.

The problem is, he cant erase a whole college career worth of questionable mechanics by throwing the football while in shorts.

It may work, it may not. I could see a few teams considering drafting him as their future QB and buying that his arm is now NFL ready. But, I also can see more teams not coming away convinced.

What do the Bills think? Who knows. I'm not sure they should be making this big of a gamble when they have no real starting option at this point. But who knows.

better days
02-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Very interesting.

Look, it doesn't matter what I think about him, or any of us thinks about him. Its what teams will think about him. He will have to convince teams that he has an NFL arm. If he can do that from a one day or two day workout, then he has everything else you want.

The problem is, he cant erase a whole college career worth of questionable mechanics by throwing the football while in shorts.

It may work, it may not. I could see a few teams considering drafting him as their future QB and buying that his arm is now NFL ready. But, I also can see more teams not coming away convinced.

What do the Bills think? Who knows. I'm not sure they should be making this big of a gamble when they have no real starting option at this point. But who knows.

If the Bills could get Tebow in the 2nd I would be all for it myself. Even with the poor mechanics he passed for about 67% in College & set many NCAA records. I think Tebow will be a winner in the NFL.

alnilla
02-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Its like going through college shooting a basketball from the hip then trying to shoot it the right way. (above the head) Should of been doing it right from the start.

Dicknoze69
02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Its like going through college shooting a basketball from the hip then trying to shoot it the right way. (above the head) Should of been doing it right from the start.

Perhaps he would have if his coaches told him the right way to do it. He was obviously pretty successful doing it his way so he had little reason to change, but I think some blame falls on Meyer for not better preparing Tebow for the next level.

Ebenezer
02-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Perhaps he would have if his coaches told him the right way to do it. He was obviously pretty successful doing it his way so he had little reason to change, but I think some blame falls on Meyer for not better preparing Tebow for the next level.
it is not Meyer's job to prepare him for the next level

Dicknoze69
02-22-2010, 09:03 PM
it is not Meyer's job to prepare him for the next level

Perhaps not, but I can promise you Meyer pitches "Florida gets you to the NFL" during the recruiting process. And assuming he pitches that, I think it is his job to prepare players.

SaviorEdwards
02-22-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure I told anyone this but I fully support Timmy Tebow.

mark1126
02-22-2010, 10:05 PM
if he is so smart then what took him so long to figure this out? is he agent stupid also?

Night Train
02-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Can he improve his accuracy ?
Can he take snaps under Center ?
Can he read a Defense ?
Can he improve his mechanics ?

If you're questioned this and more 2 months before the draft, I think you already have your answer as an NFL scout.

X-Era
02-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Can he improve his accuracy ?
Can he take snaps under Center ?
Can he read a Defense ?
Can he improve his mechanics ?

If you're questioned this and more 2 months before the draft, I think you already have your answer as an NFL scout.
So in my opinion,

Taking snaps under center- That's just physically where you line up. If he can receive a snap, he could do that.
Read a defense- I think he did a decent job of that at times. His decision making is sound for the most part. Put it this way, I like his ability to read defenses better than a few of the higher rated QB's that almost exclusively went to the primary target. But its only one facet of QB play.
Improve his accuracy- Theoretically, if he comes over the top, improves velocity, and his spiral, accuracy may improve as well.
Improve his mechanics- That's apparently what he's doing.My problem isnt that he's doing this, or even whether he can actually change or not. My problem is when. Showing the scouts he can throw over a period of a few days of workouts in shorts may not be adequate to invest millions. And what you really want is what he cant provide... game tape of him throwing with his improved mechanics before you draft him. The only way teams get to see whether he can thrown in games now is by playing him in the NFL. And with every game being meaningful, how can anyone take a risk that big? Preseason? Maybe. But then you still drafted a guy who may not be able to play at the next level at QB.

Round 4-7? Absolutely take that chance. Round 2? Too much risk, IMO.

DraftBoy
02-23-2010, 07:44 AM
From the short video clips we get to see he looks smoother, his motion is still a little choppy but he looks far better. However that means little when under pressure or with a D on the field.

The issue with Tebow has never been and will never be strictly about his mechanics. That's what people are failing to realize here, both haters and supporters. Its not just about his mechanics guys. NT hits the nail on the head with his post above mine.

For one example I have a lot harder time swallowing him learning how to suddenly read a complex blitzing D, considering he ran a 1 read offense at Florida. He has no idea how to work progressions or how to presnap read a defense outside of is the end/backer going to crash down or is going to contain. That was his whole job at Florida.

better days
02-23-2010, 07:57 AM
So in my opinion,

Taking snaps under center- That's just physically where you line up. If he can receive a snap, he could do that.
Read a defense- I think he did a decent job of that at times. His decision making is sound for the most part. Put it this way, I like his ability to read defenses better than a few of the higher rated QB's that almost exclusively went to the primary target. But its only one facet of QB play.
Improve his accuracy- Theoretically, if he comes over the top, improves velocity, and his spiral, accuracy may improve as well.
Improve his mechanics- That's apparently what he's doing.My problem isnt that he's doing this, or even whether he can actually change or not. My problem is when. Showing the scouts he can throw over a period of a few days of workouts in shorts may not be adequate to invest millions. And what you really want is what he cant provide... game tape of him throwing with his improved mechanics before you draft him. The only way teams get to see whether he can thrown in games now is by playing him in the NFL. And with every game being meaningful, how can anyone take a risk that big? Preseason? Maybe. But then you still drafted a guy who may not be able to play at the next level at QB.

Round 4-7? Absolutely take that chance. Round 2? Too much risk, IMO.

His accuracy is fine already. He has completed many passes at UF his passing completion percentage was about 67%. The Bills took Edwards a QB that did nothing but lose & get injured at Stanford in the 3rd rnd. I don't think the 2nd is too big a risk for a QB that not only won big in the SEC, the toughest conference in college, but set records in doing so.

better days
02-23-2010, 08:09 AM
From the short video clips we get to see he looks smoother, his motion is still a little choppy but he looks far better. However that means little when under pressure or with a D on the field.

The issue with Tebow has never been and will never be strictly about his mechanics. That's what people are failing to realize here, both haters and supporters. Its not just about his mechanics guys. NT hits the nail on the head with his post above mine.

For one example I have a lot harder time swallowing him learning how to suddenly read a complex blitzing D, considering he ran a 1 read offense at Florida. He has no idea how to work progressions or how to presnap read a defense outside of is the end/backer going to crash down or is going to contain. That was his whole job at Florida.

The only QB in the draft that played in a pro style offense is Jimmy Clausen, so you can say he is the only QB that has experience in reading a defense.

Does that mean that Bradford & Tebow can't learn how to read an NFL defense or work progressions? Absolutely not, in fact Tebow is very intelligent & he may pick up reading NFL defenses faster than Clausen.

DraftBoy
02-23-2010, 08:48 AM
The only QB in the draft that played in a pro style offense is Jimmy Clausen, so you can say he is the only QB that has experience in reading a defense.

Does that mean that Bradford & Tebow can't learn how to read an NFL defense or work progressions? Absolutely not, in fact Tebow is very intelligent & he may pick up reading NFL defenses faster than Clausen.
Bradford ran a mutli read offense at Oklahoma, only Colt McCoy ran as simplistic an offense as Tebow in college.

It doesnt have to do with playing in a pro system or not.

better days
02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Bradford ran a mutli read offense at Oklahoma, only Colt McCoy ran as simplistic an offense as Tebow in college.

Your dismissal of how difficult it takes to understand how to read a defense pre-snap, during the drop back, and make the progressions is funny. I wish it was as simple as you want to believe it is.

It doesnt have to do with playing in a pro system or not.

Bradford still was not playing under center, he was in a shotgun as NFL QB's are over 50% of the time, & the reason for that is it allows more time to read a defense.

I am not dismissing the difficulty of learning to read a defense. Trent Edwards still has not learned how. Tebow however is as intelligent as Edwards with a much greater passion for the game & work ethic than Edwards has. Tebow will work at it until he has it down, not waste his time playing golf like Edwards & others.

DraftBoy
02-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Bradford still was not playing under center, he was in a shotgun as NFL QB's are over 50% of the time, & the reason for that is it allows more time to read a defense.

I am not dismissing the difficulty of learning to read a defense. Trent Edwards still has not learned how. Tebow however is as intelligent as Edwards with a much greater passion for the game & work ethic than Edwards has. Tebow will work at it until he has it down, not waste his time playing golf like Edwards & others.
You know how intelligent Tebow is because? If you want to discuss Tebow's flaws but thats fine but its this "super human" opinion that many fans have of him that makes this discussion all the more impossible.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2010, 10:46 AM

NFL teams rarely run the shotgun more than 50% of the time. The Patriots run it more than anyone, and they don't run it that much.

Bradford played completely differently than Tebow. Tebow was running a spread option, where he took his first read or took off. Bradford threw the ball a lot more, and did a great job reading the defenses. He is very accurate, trusting his arm to throw the ball into tight spaces. He does a great job setting up quickly, reading the blitz and getting the ball out to his hot read. He threw a many different passes, from outs and crossing routes to fades and quick screens. The best sign of his ability to read defenses is that he rarely throws the ball into bad coverage. Plus, unlike Tebow, Bradford would routinely progress to his 2nd and 3rd reads.

By the time the draft rolls around, I think Bradford is a top-5 pick. He may drop a little due to durability concerns, but he won't fall out of the top-10.

justasportsfan
02-23-2010, 10:54 AM
His Florida coaches let him down in that department. Should of had him working on this a long time ago.
Florida coaches only cared about winning and Tebow got it done inspite of his mechanics. Trying to change things would have meant taking a few steps back. Why bother if you are winning?

SaviorEdwards
02-23-2010, 04:14 PM
You know how intelligent Tebow is because? If you want to discuss Tebow's flaws but thats fine but its this "super human" opinion that many fans have of him that makes this discussion all the more impossible.
It wasn't really a paragraph, it was more of a sentence.

X-Era
02-23-2010, 05:19 PM
His accuracy is fine already. He has completed many passes at UF his passing completion percentage was about 67%. The Bills took Edwards a QB that did nothing but lose & get injured at Stanford in the 3rd rnd. I don't think the 2nd is too big a risk for a QB that not only won big in the SEC, the toughest conference in college, but set records in doing so.

I say that not because he cant throw with accuracy, but because the balls he throws are so wobbly sometimes they end up off target.

To me, college production doesn't always equate to NFL production. Timmy Chang, Colt Brennan, Kliff Kingsbury, Danny Wuerffel, Ken Dorsey, and Josh Heupel are just a few names.

If leadership, attitude, and guts were all we needed at QB, he would be the #1 pick in the draft IMO. But since there is so much more, and significant limitations in his game, that's why so many have doubts.

better days
02-23-2010, 05:38 PM
My 1st paragraph was in response to yours about Bradford. I was pointing out that Bradford played in a Shotgun & had extra time to read defenses vs playing under Center as Clausen has.

I know Tebow is intelligent because it has been reported over & over by many people & there is a thread on the board about that very subject. In your opinion it's fine to discuss Tebow's flaws as long as nobody brings up his strengths. It makes total sense that a person that studies & works hard will learn & progress much more than another that may be as intelligent but not as committed.

X-Era
02-23-2010, 05:44 PM
My 1st paragraph was in response to yours about Bradford. I was pointing out that Bradford played in a Shotgun & had extra time to read defenses vs playing under Center as Clausen has.

I know Tebow is intelligent because it has been reported over & over by many people & there is a thread on the board about that very subject. In your opinion it's fine to discuss Tebow's flaws as long as nobody brings up his strengths. It makes total sense that a person that studies & works hard will learn & progress much more than another that may be as intelligent but not as committed.

IMO, Tebow could succeed by will alone. Its possible, I must concede that. And its also possible that his willingness to change his delivery was because of his desire to succeed, not for money, not for fame. But who knows. I genuienly think his heart is in the right place, and because he brings so much of the right stuff to the game, I want to see him get a chance. But, it may be too late for him to get a real shot. For his sake, I hope it isnt.

Bravo82
02-23-2010, 05:45 PM
It wasn't really a paragraph, it was more of a sentence.

Dear Savior Edwards, clear your PM inbox. Thank you.

tampabay25690
02-23-2010, 10:36 PM
The thing with Tebow he will do whatever he can to prove everyone wrong.
I luv what he is doing and probably 1 of the smartest players coming out in the draft.

I will be honest the team that drafts him and lets him sit 1 year will be very happy with his success in the future............IMO

If a team drafts him and wanst him to take every snap, it will be a bit bumpy IMO.....

If Tim is there in the 2nd round I think the BILLS would be stupid not to grab him there, this guy has all the tools and would be LUVED in Buffalo or any other city...He is just a player you want to build around....