PDA

View Full Version : Happy 30th 1980 Gold Medal Hockey Team

SabreEleven
02-22-2010, 08:04 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet......

Where were you? Were you in alive?

It was shown on Canadian TV live so I was at my Aunt house below ours watching it live. I didn't even watch the ABC telecast.

SabreEleven
02-22-2010, 08:05 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bd/Sports_Illustrated_Miracle_on_Ice_cover.jpg/220px-Sports_Illustrated_Miracle_on_Ice_cover.jpg

SabreEleven
02-22-2010, 08:06 PM
http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/33-45/33-45597-F.jpg

Cleve
02-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I saw it. I still hadn't graduated college, working part time job as a security guard at a luxury house complex. The job allowed the guards to use the model home as an office, so I watched it on a very nice Sony Trinitron set there.

This was an awesome sports moment for many reasons - it was in Lake Placid NY, the Soviets were the heavy favorites, and the Cold War tensions were high at the time, so it made the victory extra special.

YardRat
02-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Definitely alive, but watched the ABC telecast.

LtFinFan66
02-22-2010, 08:12 PM

It was shown on Canadian TV live so I was at my Aunt house below ours watching it live. I didn't even watch the ABC telecast.they mentioned it many times during the Olympic coverage. I was at a high school basketball game getting updates from a guy listening to it on the radio

Ebenezer
02-22-2010, 08:50 PM

It was shown on Canadian TV live so I was at my Aunt house below ours watching it live. I didn't even watch the ABC telecast.

That is not true...it was shown live on Sunday afternoon on ABC. The Miracle game was delayed to primetime on Friday night and shown live on canadian TV. We were playing roller hockey in our basement when it started and missed the first period of the game vs. Finland.

YardRat
02-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Pretty sure he's referring specifically to the Russian game, not the gold medal game, Eb.

Ebenezer
02-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Pretty sure he's referring specifically to the Russian game, not the gold medal game, Eb.
well, that took place on the 20th...and was not the gold medal game...if the US lost to Finland they might not have even gotten the bronze.