• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Nix "Enamored" with a college QB

I'm not going to write a story until I get a chance to speak to a couple of people and get some more info and quotes.

But I spoke to a source connected with the Bills who told me that Buddy Nix was "enamored" with a quarterback in this year's class-- and it isn't Clausen or 2nd Tier QBs like Pike, McCoy or Tebow.

Rather it's Mississippi QB Jevan Snead.

Again, I'm going to do a story about him, but not until after I speak to a few people to get some better information. I'll be honest, I know very little about Snead and I dont want to just recite his stats (which were NOT good last year). I am working on talking to some people better in the know to find out more about him.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Nix "Enamored" with a college QB

What round is he project to go in?

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
      What round is he project to go in?
      I've checked out a few of the bigger "mocks" out there (which I can't stress enough mean nothing to me in February). And most of them seem to have him going in the third round.

He seems to be on most board rankings around 6th or 7th among QBs

Comment

• clumping platelets

That's fine...............draft him in the 3rd or 4th rd but get help for the OL and front 7 before that

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Im very happy with Snead or Zac Robinson in the 3rd round.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Snead...eh? Doesn't surprise me in the least bit. He's a big armed southern boy who is country strong and smart. He makes poor decisions though and has accuraucy issues but he can throw the ball a mile. I like him more than like any of the top QBs.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• dannyek71
              Drink Responsibly
              • Dec 2004

R1: OL
              R2:OL
              R3: QB (I am fine with that)
              [

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

From what I got with the conversation which would be contradictory to what I see on every internet mock, Snead won't last until the third round.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by dannyek71
                  R1: OL
                  R2:OL
                  R3: QB (I am fine with that)

we had the WORST run defense in the league, we need to pay attention to that

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

I'm assuming that if Nix likes him he has reason to believe the accuracy and decision making problems are correctable. If Nix makes a mistake on this, it can haunt the Bills for the next couple of years.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Had a super Soph year, then regressed with Michael Oher and many other top guys leaving after 2008. Looks like he had a Losman like Junior year but is now projected for round 3-4.

From NFL Draftscout at CBS Sportsline

Analysis

Accuracy: Regressed as a junior, though this is mostly due to correctable flaws in technique. Runs hot and cold. Can squeeze the ball through tight spaces and make the All-Pro throw, but too often forces receivers to alter their routes to catch his passes, limiting run-after-the-catch opportunities. Flashes the touch to place the ball between the safety and linebacker down the seam. When he sets his feet, shows the accuracy for the deep out, placing the ball low and away from the defender towards the sideline. Throws a catchable deep ball with good trajectory and above average accuracy when he feels safe in the pocket.

Arm Strength: Legitimate NFL arm strength. Can fire the deep out from the opposite hash and beat the defense over the top with the go-route. If he's not successful in the NFL, it will not be because he doesn't own a strong enough arm.

Setup/Release: Regressed as a junior in this area. Gains good depth on his drop-back, but developed happy feet and too often moved about in the pocket when he didn't need to. Developed some bad habits; throwing off his back foot, patting the ball, slinging the ball side-arm and at a three-quarter delivery instead of the over-the-top, efficient release he'd demonstrated earlier in his career.

Reading Defenses: Seemed to trust his arm and certain receivers rather than read defenses in 2009. Was too often willing to throw the ball into double or even triple coverage when he had safer outlet receivers at his disposal. Began to stare down his target as the year went on, only alerting defenders even sooner as to his intentions.

On the Move: An underrated athlete who can gain yards as a runner if the defense doesn't account for him. Has the balance and athleticism to avoid pass rushers and step up into the pocket to complete throws, but began to lose his poise as the 2009 season went on. Developed happy feet, over-reacting as defenders got close. Was more accurate rolling out than in the pocket at times last year. Can square his shoulders and fire the accurate intermediate pass when on the move. Some as yet untapped potential here. Intangibles: Made the surprising decision to leave Ole Miss after a disappointing junior season. Some have questioned his competitive fire, as he transferred from Texas to Ole Miss after losing the job to Colt McCoy and opted to leave the Rebels early amid speculation that he might have to win back his starting job from Nathan Stanley. Hasn't shown the mental toughness to shake off early mistakes and improve as the game goes on. Two-time SEC Academic Honor Roll recipient. Graduated with a degree in Marketing in December.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        Snead...eh? Doesn't surprise me in the least bit. He's a big armed southern boy who is country strong and smart. He makes poor decisions though and has accuraucy issues but he can throw the ball a mile. I like him more than like any of the top QBs.
                        Hmmmm.... Preferring a qb with a big arm who makes bad decisions over the consensus top-ranked qb's in the draft. Something about that seems vaguely familiar for some reason.....
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                          Reading Defenses: Seemed to trust his arm and certain receivers rather than read defenses in 2009. Was too often willing to throw the ball into double or even triple coverage when he had safer outlet receivers at his disposal. Began to stare down his target as the year went on, only alerting defenders even sooner as to his intentions.
                          Had a super Soph year, then regressed with Michael Oher and many other top guys leaving after 2008. Looks like he had a Losman like Junior year but is now projected for round 3-4.

From NFL Draftscout at CBS Sportsline

Analysis

Accuracy: Regressed as a junior, though this is mostly due to correctable flaws in technique. Runs hot and cold. Can squeeze the ball through tight spaces and make the All-Pro throw, but too often forces receivers to alter their routes to catch his passes, limiting run-after-the-catch opportunities. Flashes the touch to place the ball between the safety and linebacker down the seam. When he sets his feet, shows the accuracy for the deep out, placing the ball low and away from the defender towards the sideline. Throws a catchable deep ball with good trajectory and above average accuracy when he feels safe in the pocket.

Arm Strength: Legitimate NFL arm strength. Can fire the deep out from the opposite hash and beat the defense over the top with the go-route. If he's not successful in the NFL, it will not be because he doesn't own a strong enough arm.

Setup/Release: Regressed as a junior in this area. Gains good depth on his drop-back, but developed happy feet and too often moved about in the pocket when he didn't need to. Developed some bad habits; throwing off his back foot, patting the ball, slinging the ball side-arm and at a three-quarter delivery instead of the over-the-top, efficient release he'd demonstrated earlier in his career.

On the Move: An underrated athlete who can gain yards as a runner if the defense doesn't account for him. Has the balance and athleticism to avoid pass rushers and step up into the pocket to complete throws, but began to lose his poise as the 2009 season went on. Developed happy feet, over-reacting as defenders got close. Was more accurate rolling out than in the pocket at times last year. Can square his shoulders and fire the accurate intermediate pass when on the move. Some as yet untapped potential here. Intangibles: Made the surprising decision to leave Ole Miss after a disappointing junior season. Some have questioned his competitive fire, as he transferred from Texas to Ole Miss after losing the job to Colt McCoy and opted to leave the Rebels early amid speculation that he might have to win back his starting job from Nathan Stanley. Hasn't shown the mental toughness to shake off early mistakes and improve as the game goes on. Two-time SEC Academic Honor Roll recipient. Graduated with a degree in Marketing in December.

Sounds very Jim Kelly'ish
                          (I barely knew about him before today)

Comment

• ChanGailey
                            Veteran Zoner
                            • Jan 2010

JP Losman Part III...great.

Or I guess you could call it Todd Collins part 10.

Plus the guy is an asshat as a person.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Snead looks the part and has a big arm, but he is inconsistent with his accuracy. A guy with potential to develop because he has all the talent and he has a very high ceiling, but usually guys are accurate or they aren't. NFL QBs have to be accurate, much more than in college. His reputation is that his mechanics aren't great, and he regressed as a Junior before surprisingly declaring early.

This surprises me a little because if you look at Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees, both drafted when Nix was in SD, both were very accurate passers. I am skeptical of reports like this, as they may be as much draft mis-direction as real information.

Comment

Working...
                              X