PDA

View Full Version : Nix "Enamored" with a college QB

patmoran2006
02-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm not going to write a story until I get a chance to speak to a couple of people and get some more info and quotes.

But I spoke to a source connected with the Bills who told me that Buddy Nix was "enamored" with a quarterback in this year's class-- and it isn't Clausen or 2nd Tier QBs like Pike, McCoy or Tebow.

Rather it's Mississippi QB Jevan Snead.

Again, I'm going to do a story about him, but not until after I speak to a few people to get some better information. I'll be honest, I know very little about Snead and I dont want to just recite his stats (which were NOT good last year). I am working on talking to some people better in the know to find out more about him.

THATHURMANATOR
02-23-2010, 09:33 AM
What round is he project to go in?

patmoran2006
02-23-2010, 09:35 AM
What round is he project to go in?

I've checked out a few of the bigger "mocks" out there (which I can't stress enough mean nothing to me in February). And most of them seem to have him going in the third round.

He seems to be on most board rankings around 6th or 7th among QBs

clumping platelets
02-23-2010, 09:36 AM
That's fine...............draft him in the 3rd or 4th rd but get help for the OL and front 7 before that

Mahdi
02-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Im very happy with Snead or Zac Robinson in the 3rd round.

DraftBoy
02-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Snead...eh? Doesn't surprise me in the least bit. He's a big armed southern boy who is country strong and smart. He makes poor decisions though and has accuraucy issues but he can throw the ball a mile. I like him more than like any of the top QBs.

dannyek71
02-23-2010, 09:42 AM
R1: OL
R2:OL
R3: QB (I am fine with that)

patmoran2006
02-23-2010, 09:42 AM
From what I got with the conversation which would be contradictory to what I see on every internet mock, Snead won't last until the third round.

clumping platelets
02-23-2010, 09:44 AM

we had the WORST run defense in the league, we need to pay attention to that

TigerJ
02-23-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm assuming that if Nix likes him he has reason to believe the accuracy and decision making problems are correctable. If Nix makes a mistake on this, it can haunt the Bills for the next couple of years.

Night Train
02-23-2010, 09:45 AM
<TABLE class=SLTables1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=bg0><TD>Had a super Soph year, then regressed with Michael Oher and many other top guys leaving after 2008. Looks like he had a Losman like Junior year but is now projected for round 3-4.

From NFL Draftscout at CBS Sportsline

Analysis

</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>
Accuracy: Regressed as a junior, though this is mostly due to correctable flaws in technique. Runs hot and cold. Can squeeze the ball through tight spaces and make the All-Pro throw, but too often forces receivers to alter their routes to catch his passes, limiting run-after-the-catch opportunities. Flashes the touch to place the ball between the safety and linebacker down the seam. When he sets his feet, shows the accuracy for the deep out, placing the ball low and away from the defender towards the sideline. Throws a catchable deep ball with good trajectory and above average accuracy when he feels safe in the pocket.

Arm Strength: Legitimate NFL arm strength. Can fire the deep out from the opposite hash and beat the defense over the top with the go-route. If he's not successful in the NFL, it will not be because he doesn't own a strong enough arm.

Setup/Release: Regressed as a junior in this area. Gains good depth on his drop-back, but developed happy feet and too often moved about in the pocket when he didn't need to. Developed some bad habits; throwing off his back foot, patting the ball, slinging the ball side-arm and at a three-quarter delivery instead of the over-the-top, efficient release he'd demonstrated earlier in his career.

Reading Defenses: Seemed to trust his arm and certain receivers rather than read defenses in 2009. Was too often willing to throw the ball into double or even triple coverage when he had safer outlet receivers at his disposal. Began to stare down his target as the year went on, only alerting defenders even sooner as to his intentions.

On the Move: An underrated athlete who can gain yards as a runner if the defense doesn't account for him. Has the balance and athleticism to avoid pass rushers and step up into the pocket to complete throws, but began to lose his poise as the 2009 season went on. Developed happy feet, over-reacting as defenders got close. Was more accurate rolling out than in the pocket at times last year. Can square his shoulders and fire the accurate intermediate pass when on the move. Some as yet untapped potential here. Intangibles: Made the surprising decision to leave Ole Miss after a disappointing junior season. Some have questioned his competitive fire, as he transferred from Texas to Ole Miss after losing the job to Colt McCoy and opted to leave the Rebels early amid speculation that he might have to win back his starting job from Nathan Stanley. Hasn't shown the mental toughness to shake off early mistakes and improve as the game goes on. Two-time SEC Academic Honor Roll recipient. Graduated with a degree in Marketing in December.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

OpIv37
02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Snead...eh? Doesn't surprise me in the least bit. He's a big armed southern boy who is country strong and smart. He makes poor decisions though and has accuraucy issues but he can throw the ball a mile. I like him more than like any of the top QBs.
Hmmmm.... Preferring a qb with a big arm who makes bad decisions over the consensus top-ranked qb's in the draft. Something about that seems vaguely familiar for some reason.....

patmoran2006
02-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Reading Defenses: Seemed to trust his arm and certain receivers rather than read defenses in 2009. Was too often willing to throw the ball into double or even triple coverage when he had safer outlet receivers at his disposal. Began to stare down his target as the year went on, only alerting defenders even sooner as to his intentions. <TABLE class=SLTables1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=bg0><TD>Had a super Soph year, then regressed with Michael Oher and many other top guys leaving after 2008. Looks like he had a Losman like Junior year but is now projected for round 3-4.

From NFL Draftscout at CBS Sportsline

Analysis

</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>
Accuracy: Regressed as a junior, though this is mostly due to correctable flaws in technique. Runs hot and cold. Can squeeze the ball through tight spaces and make the All-Pro throw, but too often forces receivers to alter their routes to catch his passes, limiting run-after-the-catch opportunities. Flashes the touch to place the ball between the safety and linebacker down the seam. When he sets his feet, shows the accuracy for the deep out, placing the ball low and away from the defender towards the sideline. Throws a catchable deep ball with good trajectory and above average accuracy when he feels safe in the pocket.

Arm Strength: Legitimate NFL arm strength. Can fire the deep out from the opposite hash and beat the defense over the top with the go-route. If he's not successful in the NFL, it will not be because he doesn't own a strong enough arm.

Setup/Release: Regressed as a junior in this area. Gains good depth on his drop-back, but developed happy feet and too often moved about in the pocket when he didn't need to. Developed some bad habits; throwing off his back foot, patting the ball, slinging the ball side-arm and at a three-quarter delivery instead of the over-the-top, efficient release he'd demonstrated earlier in his career.

Reading Defenses: Seemed to trust his arm and certain receivers rather than read defenses in 2009. Was too often willing to throw the ball into double or even triple coverage when he had safer outlet receivers at his disposal. Began to stare down his target as the year went on, only alerting defenders even sooner as to his intentions.

On the Move: An underrated athlete who can gain yards as a runner if the defense doesn't account for him. Has the balance and athleticism to avoid pass rushers and step up into the pocket to complete throws, but began to lose his poise as the 2009 season went on. Developed happy feet, over-reacting as defenders got close. Was more accurate rolling out than in the pocket at times last year. Can square his shoulders and fire the accurate intermediate pass when on the move. Some as yet untapped potential here. Intangibles: Made the surprising decision to leave Ole Miss after a disappointing junior season. Some have questioned his competitive fire, as he transferred from Texas to Ole Miss after losing the job to Colt McCoy and opted to leave the Rebels early amid speculation that he might have to win back his starting job from Nathan Stanley. Hasn't shown the mental toughness to shake off early mistakes and improve as the game goes on. Two-time SEC Academic Honor Roll recipient. Graduated with a degree in Marketing in December.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sounds very Jim Kelly'ish
(I barely knew about him before today)

ChanGailey
02-23-2010, 09:51 AM
JP Losman Part III...great.

Or I guess you could call it Todd Collins part 10.

Plus the guy is an asshat as a person.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Snead looks the part and has a big arm, but he is inconsistent with his accuracy. A guy with potential to develop because he has all the talent and he has a very high ceiling, but usually guys are accurate or they aren't. NFL QBs have to be accurate, much more than in college. His reputation is that his mechanics aren't great, and he regressed as a Junior before surprisingly declaring early.

This surprises me a little because if you look at Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees, both drafted when Nix was in SD, both were very accurate passers. I am skeptical of reports like this, as they may be as much draft mis-direction as real information.

THATHURMANATOR
02-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Why OL in the first 2 rounds? We only have 1 position to fill.

OpIv37
02-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Snead looks the part and has a big arm, but he is inconsistent with his accuracy. A guy with potential to develop because he has all the talent and he has a very high ceiling, but usually guys are accurate or they aren't. NFL QBs have to be accurate, much more than in college. His reputation is that his mechanics aren't great, and he regressed as a Junior before surprisingly declaring early.

This surprises me a little because if you look at Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees, both drafted when Nix was in SD, both were very accurate passers. I am skeptical of reports like this, as they may be as much draft mis-direction as real information.
I think you're right, especially since Chris Brown was pumping up Tebow this morning. Brown doesn't say anything without permission, so I'm guessing the Bills either favor Tebow, or all the qb talk is just a pre draft smokescreen.

DesertFox24
02-23-2010, 09:56 AM
I agree with the anaylsis put forth by the other posters.

I live in the south and get to watch A LOT of ACC and SEC football. The guy last year was a monster and finished second in the pre season coaches poll on who they thought was the best QB in the SEC.

Physically the guy is very gifted and can run, and Pat you are correct once he has his pro day he will not last till the third and may even be St Louis' first pick in the second round, he has better potential than McCoy and has a better arm than Lefevor.

However, he is a guy that needs to sit for a year or two and develop. Do not be surprised if we sign a vet QB if this is not an option that we go.

Night Train
02-23-2010, 09:57 AM
He was pressing to make plays in the few games I saw him play this past year. Threw 3 INT's in their Bowl game where he tried too hard to make things happen. He needs positional coaching and time but no questioning his natural ability. He did have a good game in 2008, when Ole Miss knocked off #1 Florida.

I've seen far worse gambles in the middle rounds. It's up top where you can't bomb and he doesn't figure there.

Plus we haven't picked him yet.

The Spaz
02-23-2010, 10:02 AM
If Snead can just learn to make better decisions he's a hell of a QB.

TigerJ
02-23-2010, 10:04 AM

This surprises me a little because if you look at Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees, both drafted when Nix was in SD, both were very accurate passers. I am skeptical of reports like this, as they may be as much draft mis-direction as real information.I hear ya. Ryan Fitzpatrick is as smart as they come and has plenty of arm, but will never be more than a backup because he is so inconsistent with his accuracy. The one qualification that would enable me to be OK with this would be that Nix has noticed something Snead started doing wrong this last year that accounts for his inaccuracy. Fix it and he's Johnny U. Nix would need to feel pretty strongly about something like that to pull the trigger on the kid.

Pinkerton Security
02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Here's what I am thinking: it becomes easy to fall in love with a later round prospect instead of a top guy when you know you need the first 2 or 3 rounds to fill other positions first. I dont want a QB in the first 2 rounds for sure, and would honestly rather go all OL and Defense for the entire draft and live for a year with Brohm, Edwards or Fitz while we build up the Defense and OL

Ickybaluky
02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
I think you're right, especially since Chris Brown was pumping up Tebow this morning. Brown doesn't say anything without permission, so I'm guessing the Bills either favor Tebow, or all the qb talk is just a pre draft smokescreen.

I am even more convinced it is a smokescreen.

While Nix was with the Chargers, they also drafted Charlie Whitehurst in the 3rd round. Whitehurst started over 3 seasons at Clemson, and completed over 67% of his passes as a senior.

By contrast, Snead only started 1 season at Ole Miss, after transferring from Texas (where he hardly played because of Colt McCoy). So, not only is Snead not as accurate as the QBs drafted when Nix was with San Diego, but he also goes against Nix's stated preference to avoid guys with only a 1 year track record. The record of QBs who declare early is not great.

clumping platelets
02-23-2010, 10:10 AM
So why not trade for Whitehurst? :idunno:

DesertFox24
02-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I am even more convinced it is a smokescreen.

While Nix was with the Chargers, they also drafted Charlie Whitehurst in the 3rd round. Whitehurst started over 3 seasons at Clemson, and completed over 67% of his passes as a senior.

By contrast, Snead only started 1 season at Ole Miss, after transferring from Texas (where he hardly played because of Colt McCoy). So, not only is Snead not as accurate as the QBs drafted when Nix was with San Diego, but he also goes against Nix's stated preference to avoid guys with only a 1 year track record. The record of QBs who declare early is not great.

Sneed beat UF at UF in 08 and started this past year. That is two years of playing and he has been out of college for 4 years since he is a red shirt Junior.

Oaf
02-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Pat, what are you thoughts on the idea that if some of Nix's actual intentions (not just a smokescreen) are made public months, that will reduce the chances we actually go with them? It this would violate the tactic BFO always seems to play: "we picked this player out of the blue because they were actually #1 in our own secret empirical research."

Dicknoze69
02-23-2010, 10:17 AM

This was the very first thing I thought when I read this.

Ingtar33
02-23-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm not going to write a story until I get a chance to speak to a couple of people and get some more info and quotes.

But I spoke to a source connected with the Bills who told me that Buddy Nix was "enamored" with a quarterback in this year's class-- and it isn't Clausen or 2nd Tier QBs like Pike, McCoy or Tebow.

Again, I'm going to do a story about him, but not until after I speak to a few people to get some better information. I'll be honest, I know very little about Snead and I dont want to just recite his stats (which were NOT good last year). I am working on talking to some people better in the know to find out more about him.

not surprised (only because i was in the field for so long... i know what makes most evaluators drool). i made the observation months ago that Snead, when you watch him throw, watch his motion and technique... you think "wow" this kid has it all. then you see where the dimwit throws the ball and shake your head and say "god what a mess."

I said months ago i wouldn't be surprised if Snead, the guy with the 1st round body and the 7th round head went in round 2, because some team won't be able to pass up on his physical tools.

those of you who are comparing him to "JP" are actually maligning JP... JP was a far superior QB to Snead in college. Snead's a project; and you're wasting a pick if you take him any higher then 4th round (that said he still probably will go in round 2... 3 for certain).

Ickybaluky
02-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Sneed beat UF at UF in 08 and started this past year. That is two years of playing and he has been out of college for 4 years since he is a red shirt Junior.

He was a 2 year starter, my bad. Still, he was an erratic player in college, especially as a Junior and came out a year early. He should have stayed in school. I can't say I've seen him play a ton, but when I did I saw an erratic player. Look at the Alabama game this past year, although they were a great team.

He doesn't really fit the profile for QBs drafted in San Diego when Nix was there. I think it is a smokescreen.

cocamide
02-23-2010, 10:25 AM

A good offense is the best defense.

DesertFox24
02-23-2010, 10:25 AM
He was a 2 year starter, my bad. Still, he was an erratic player in college, especially as a Junior and came out a year early. He should have stayed in school. I can't say I've seen him play a ton, but when I did I saw an erratic player. Look at the Alabama game this past year, although they were a great team.

He doesn't really fit the profile for QBs drafted in San Diego when Nix was there. I think it is a smokescreen.

Oh completely agree, I like his physical tools better than Clausen. However like someone already said he does dumb stuff and should have stayed in school.

Bravo82
02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Tebow or bust :rockon:

Ickybaluky
02-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Actually, the guy that fits the profile is Colt McCoy.

His accuracy is very good, although it is helped by all the slip screens and quick passes in the Texas Offense. he is a good athlete who can move in the pocket, which fits with what Gailey likes to do. Nix must not be that disturbed by his lack of size, as they drafted Brees with similar size. He is a smart kid with extensive playing experience in college.

justasportsfan
02-23-2010, 10:39 AM
I am sure there will be more reports about Gailey being enamored with this and that player as time moves on.

In the end it's Mikey's sources that matter .

BillsWin
I like it. It allows us to address LT and NT in the draft with the first two picks. You anchor your offensive line and provide the signal caller with blindside protection, and you pick up a space eating NT which will anchor the new defense.

Snead in the third provides flexibility with the first two picks and to a lesser extent, the bottom picks.

Let Snead come in and compete with the three QB's currently on the roster.

If Snead wins (It would be a shock), put the second best QB and third best on the roster, release or trade the fourth.

If Brohm wins, start Brohm. Keep Snead on the roster as well as the next best QB and release or trade the third.

If Edwards wins, start Edwards, make Snead the backup and choose between Brohm or Fitz.

I dont think we should rush Snead onto the field, but if he is good, let him play.

But first, get him protection.

WeAreArthurMoates

His accuracy is very good, although it is helped by all the slip screens and quick passes in the Texas Offense. he is a good athlete who can move in the pocket, which fits with what Gailey likes to do. Nix must not be that disturbed by his lack of size, as they drafted Brees with similar size. He is a smart kid with extensive playing experience in college.

Except he lacks Nix number 1 trait for Buffalo, the kid must have a good arm.

DraftBoy
02-23-2010, 10:40 AM

Id say Bradford or McCoy but I dont think either are the pick we will make.

EDS
02-23-2010, 10:44 AM

I hope you are right.

k-oneputt
02-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Yep, I've heard of this Snead kid.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Id say Bradford or McCoy but I dont think either are the pick we will make.

Yeah, Bradford fits the mold as well. I don't think Bradford falls to the Bills. If he does, they should pick him.

McCoy might be there in the second.

Cleve
02-23-2010, 10:54 AM
If Nix makes a mistake on this, it can haunt the Bills for the next couple of years.

Well, that's something we Bills fans ought to be used to from a Russ Brandon managed front office, shouldn't it?

k-oneputt
02-23-2010, 10:55 AM

That's called coaching and experience. It can be learned. Physical attributes are a different story. Highly unlikely your arm strength or physical size will change once entering the NFL. Nix has stated that Buffalo needs a strong armed qb to succed, thus you can throw out everybodys glory boy LeFevour. His arm won't cut it in the December winds at the stadium.

JCBills
02-23-2010, 11:01 AM

We have offensive lineman. We don't have a NT, 3-4 DEs, or a LOLB.

Mahdi
02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Who says we don't have 3-4 DEs?

How many college prospects do you think come out of college with 3-4 DE experience? very few.

Stroud and Sp. Johnson have already been tabbed as the DEs and they fit what you would be looking for out of any college prospect. Size, Strength and some mobility.

As for a NT, I highly doubt we target one until the late rounds 4, 5, 6 or even 7.

OLBs, we have a first round pick already (Maybin), as well as Chris Ellis and possibly Schobel.

We will most likely be adding pieces through FA as well to fill out the D.

I do agree though, I don't think we need OL with our first 2 picks, and outside of Okung I don't like OT at #9.

JCBills
02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
The consensus among a lot of the scouts is that he made a mistake by not staying for his senior season.

I like to go by the "Rule of 60"

Typically (there are exceptions) when a player doesn't complete 60% of his passes in college he will almost never consistently reach that mark as a pro. 60% is basically the NFL benchmark for good QB play.

JCBills
02-23-2010, 11:14 AM

How many college prospects do you think come out of college with 3-4 DE experience? very few.

Stroud and Sp. Johnson have already been tabbed as the DEs and they fit what you would be looking for out of any college prospect. Size, Strength and some mobility.

As for a NT, I highly doubt we target one until the late rounds 4, 5, 6 or even 7.

OLBs, we have a first round pick already (Maybin), as well as Chris Ellis and possibly Schobel.

I do agree though, I don't think we need OL with our first 2 picks, and outside of Okung I don't like OT at #9.

Yeah we have two players to plug in, but Stroud is on the back end of his career and not as quick as he used to be, Johnson has the ideal build, but beyond that who do we have? Zero depth. Same goes with ILB.

Nobody that could play LOLB effectively.

Nobody that could play NT effectively.

I say give Meredith his go at LT and look defense early in the draft.

Philagape
02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Haven't we seen enough million-dollar arms and 10-cent brains here? :ill:

ZAZusmc03
02-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I would rather see us dump our first 3 or 4 pics into defense this draft. We need a lot more on the defensive side than we do on offense.

DraftBoy
02-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, Bradford fits the mold as well. I don't think Bradford falls to the Bills. If he does, they should pick him.

McCoy might be there in the second.

I dont think they should take either Bradford or McCoy. Especially not McCoy for that matter.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Snead or Skelton in the 4th would be fine with me. It's taking him in the 2nd which is troublesome.

DraftBoy
02-23-2010, 11:45 AM

Yes and no...we have offensive lineman but many of them aren't worth much more than bodies. We need OL depth badly and not just guys to run in there but guys who can play a few series or even spot start if needed. We currently don't have that.

madness
02-23-2010, 11:46 AM

Location, location, location.

I think you're assuming Nix is set in his ways regardless of team or the coach's offensive philosophy. In sunny SD, they were looking for accurate passers for Marty & Turner who both like quick, high percentage passes in their respective offense. (even though Turner is a lot more adaptive to his current talent than Marty)

Nix is now in Buffalo and both he and Gailey have shared their thoughts about what type of QB would thrive in Buffalo. I think Snead fits that mold.

DraftBoy
02-23-2010, 11:46 AM

Ill say it, we don't have have 3-4 DE's. We are simply hoping that Stroud and Johnson can successfully transition to DE. We have nobody with experience there which we badly need.

Coach Sal
02-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Of course you have to throw it out there, but I've learned not to believe a thing I'm told in the 2 months leading up to the draft.

Even people I trust very much and usually have solid info get steered in the wrong direction when it comes to this sort of stuff.

BillsMan80
02-23-2010, 12:19 PM
This would be a disaster to bring in this bust waiting to happen. This would be like Todd Collins all over again, a total waste of a draft pick. Snead was absolutely, positively, HORRENDOUS this year. Snead can't hit the broad side of a barn he's so damn inaccurate and he can't read a defense to save his life. This would be classic Bills as we know it though. Reaching for a player who simply doesn't have the ability nor skill set to fit his draft slot and is the classic bust type of player. But after the last 10 years that would be par for the course with this franchise to bring in a Bum like Snead to be the QB of the future.

JCBills
02-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes and no...we have offensive lineman but many of them aren't worth much more than bodies. We need OL depth badly and not just guys to run in there but guys who can play a few series or even spot start if needed. We currently don't have that.

I know, but I'm saying on the level of just even having anyone on the roster to play those spots, we don't have that. Even the DL we do have don't have any experience in a 3-4, so they're not too far ahead of a rookie in that aspect.

Mudflap1
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I was not impressed with Snead in college. That being said, the San Diego front office certainly drafted themselves a couple of real good quarterbacks. However, I had a much different feeling about Rivers before that draft, that he seemed like a pretty solid bet to be a good player. We all knew Brees was good in college, it was just a matter of his height being a problem (and it isn't).

There are too many holes to fill on this team to draft a project QB like Snead high. I really like Bradford, but 1) the injuries are a little troublesome; 2) we're all pretty sure he won't fall to the Bills anyway. I think he is the closest to filling the "Rivers" type of mold. This team desperately needs to beef up its offensive line and defensive line/linebackers first though. I would much rather play with a veteran journeyman QB (Collins, Pennington) this first year and beef up the lines, then draft the successor QB next year than draft the successor QB not named Bradford right now and have him get murdered with a poor offensive line. And, like I said, the linebackers and defensive line needs work also.

All that said, if Snead falls to the middle rounds and Nix loves the guy, I don't think there's too much harm in drafting him as a project.

Saratoga Slim
02-23-2010, 12:56 PM
It's still February, but let's all be cognizent that Misdirection Season has likely begun. I don't trust anything I hear from the mouth of any front office person this time of year.

B-DON
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Great points. this is why i think nix is targeting mccoy if any of them. very accurate and could slip to the 3rd rd

WeAreArthurMoates
02-23-2010, 01:44 PM
It's still February, but let's all be cognizent that Misdirection Season has likely begun. I don't trust anything I hear from the mouth of any front office person this time of year.

I agree as much as I love Dan Williams he doesn't fit Nix's first criteria and that is production. Both guys were just one year wonders.

Raptor
02-23-2010, 01:45 PM
If you watch his 08 season there is a lot to like about Snead

You watch his 09 season you are left asking yourself, how stupid is this kid for declaring?

k-oneputt
02-23-2010, 01:54 PM
If you watch his 08 season there is a lot to like about Snead

You watch his 09 season you are left asking yourself, how stupid is this kid for declaring?

I'm guessing many here haven't even seen him play. He has skills. He did have problems in '09. Some of that was the coaching situation. He ia a kid that will need to come in and sit for a couple of years with some good coaching. If he gets that he can develop and be a good NFL qb. If he's thrown into the fire to early with bad coaching {Losman} he could wash out quickly. Whomever takes him will have to be patient.

better days
02-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Great points. this is why i think nix is targeting mccoy if any of them. very accurate and could slip to the 3rd rd

God I pray Nix is not targeting McCoy.

tampabay25690
02-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Im fine with SNEAD if its a 3rd round pick.
He is built to be a NFL QB and just had a bad JR year.....
He was on alot of HEISMAN lists going in to last year........

Dicknoze69
02-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I agree as much as I love Dan Williams he doesn't fit Nix's first criteria and that is production. Both guys were just one year wonders.

Actually Williams wasn't a one year wonder (a la Aaron Maybin). Williams started 10 games in 2007, had 40 tackes, 6.5 TFL and 2 sacks. In 2008 he started 9 games and finished with 48 tackles, 8.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks. Then he obviously had an excellent year this year. I think he's a guy who got better every year and contributed for three years.

k-oneputt
02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Dan Marino had a super JR. year, not so good Sr. year.
Last pick of rd. 1.
Guys names Blackledge and O'Brien went before him.
I'll be happy if he is a 3rd and the qb to be developed. Much more upside then Lefevour, Pike, McCoy.

Mudflap1
02-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Dan Marino had a super JR. year, not so good Sr. year.
Last pick of rd. 1.
Guys names Blackledge and O'Brien went before him.
I'll be happy if he is a 3rd and the qb to be developed. Much more upside then Lefevour, Pike, McCoy.

Maybe, if the first two picks really fill areas that are needed like OL and LB.

JCBills
02-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Im fine with SNEAD if its a 3rd round pick.
He is built to be a NFL QB and just had a bad JR year.....
He was on alot of HEISMAN lists going in to last year........

Troy Smith won the Heisman, how's he doing?

Dantheman1280
02-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Not like fan opinion means much, but I just got back from a trip to Ole Miss and was asking the locals about the team and specifically Snead. The general consensus around town was that he was very inconsistent as a player and arrogant as a person.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Actually Williams wasn't a one year wonder (a la Aaron Maybin). Williams started 10 games in 2007, had 40 tackes, 6.5 TFL and 2 sacks. In 2008 he started 9 games and finished with 48 tackles, 8.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks. Then he obviously had an excellent year this year. I think he's a guy who got better every year and contributed for three years.

That's true, he was very productive even if he didn't every game. People keep saying this (myself included), yet that disputes that. Thanks for look out.

Bill Cody
02-23-2010, 04:09 PM

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

dannyek71
02-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Agreed. I look at the rebuilding process being 2 years (at best)

Our D sucked last year, but I think we will get a bit better as our injured come back.

Our secondary is more or less squared away. Yea, our line will likely be Kelsey, Williams, Stroud with our LB core being Ellison, Mitchell, Poz, scrub.

As bad as Ellison and Mitchel are, Id rather have them starting than Jamon Maradeth as our RT on day 1.

tampabay25690
02-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Troy Smith won the Heisman, how's he doing?

Who is talking about Troy Smith?

BuffaloRanger
02-23-2010, 06:30 PM
WHO ARE THE OTs ON THIS TEAM!! Scrubs. Every. Single. One.

JCBills
02-23-2010, 07:07 PM

Ready to say that about Meredith? I'm not, he looked very good in his limited PT.

Ground Chuck
02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Snead is a smokescreen. Jarrett Brown is the guy, my source says.

PECKERWOOD
02-23-2010, 10:11 PM

I'm very cool with that too.

TacklingDummy
02-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Same could be said about the QB's.

I'd be happy with

1: QB only if Clausen or Bradford if not LB.
2: DT
3: LB if no QB in round 1
4: OL
5: OL
6: OL
7: OL

I'd love to see DE addressed but I think Denney,Kelsay,Schobel will have to do for another year. This team has way too many hole.

jamze132
02-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Really? I don't recall you ever saying he was one of the top QBs in the draft.

I am not enamored with any QB in this draft but most of the "experts" say that Bradford and Claussen are the top QBs. You think Snead is better?

DraftBoy
02-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Really? I don't recall you ever saying he was one of the top QBs in the draft.

I am not enamored with any QB in this draft but most of the "experts" say that Bradford and Claussen are the top QBs. You think Snead is better?

I did last year, but this year was so bad you can't really call him a top guy. I dont think Snead is better right now, I think he has far more potential than either of those two. If he ever learns how to play quarterback and not just sit back and sling the ball around you have a franchise QB on your hands and I say that without a doubt in my mind. The issue is he that he is so far behind the curve at this point that he really has much further to go than many other QB's. That all being said Id rank Snead as my #3 QB in this class still. Which is more a statement about how piss poor this class is rather than how good he is. He is all potential though which is that dreaded p word.

ct bills fan
02-24-2010, 08:18 AM

I agree with NE39, as long as it's deemed that Colt has a strong enough arm, he fits nix's criteria perfectly

psubills62
02-24-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm guessing many here haven't even seen him play. He has skills. He did have problems in '09. Some of that was the coaching situation. He ia a kid that will need to come in and sit for a couple of years with some good coaching. If he gets that he can develop and be a good NFL qb. If he's thrown into the fire to early with bad coaching {Losman} he could wash out quickly. Whomever takes him will have to be patient.

Out of curiosity, what coaching situation are you talking about? Didn't Ole Miss have the same coaches in 2009 as they did in 2008?

psubills62
02-24-2010, 08:22 AM
I agree with NE39, as long as it's deemed that Colt has a strong enough arm, he fits nix's criteria perfectly

Unless he is also looking for a QB that can read a defense. I really hope McCoy is not picked as our QB.

TacklingDummy
02-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Buffalo doesn't need anymore players from Texas.

k-oneputt
02-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Out of curiosity, what coaching situation are you talking about? Didn't Ole Miss have the same coaches in 2009 as they did in 2008?

Houston Nutt isn't exactly a qb guru. I don't believe he got much developing from '08 to '09 from that staff. Just my opinion.

DraftBoy
02-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Snead had the same coach from 08 to 09 in Houston Nutt. But Nutt runs a very convaluted system and really asked Snead to do way too much this year in terms of playing both a spread style system but also making reads in the passing game when there really wasn't alot of time with Oher no longer protecting the blind side. When Nutt scaled it back some Snead looked better but his confidence was shot this year.

justasportsfan
02-24-2010, 09:17 AM
There's this rumor and there's the Campbell rumor. Who knows really?

Thing is, at least both qb's can and are willing to throw deep.

dasaybz
02-24-2010, 09:41 AM

Oh hell no. I would hate it if they took OL in the first 2 rounds.

feldspar
02-25-2010, 03:13 AM
I'm not too "enamored" with a QB that isn't drafted in the first round. Not many second-rounders make it, and it drops from there. QBs don't usually fall so far in the draft with people having "secret knowledge" about them that nobody else has. Otherwise, someone like Tom Brady or Joe Montana would have been taken right off the bat. QBs taken after the first round always surprise people if they end up being a franchise player...always...and they are almost always either projects or potential backups.

Just sayin', and I'm sure I'm not saying anything new. One thing that never happens is that you draft a guy in the third round and he starts that same year...unless you are Trent Edwards, of course.

feldspar
02-25-2010, 03:16 AM
Oh hell no. I would hate it if they took OL in the first 2 rounds.

Why, not sexy enough?

We need help there big time...even after we did go OL in the first two rounds last year. Last year, we picked Wood in the first and Levitre in the second; granted, we had two first rounders last year and traded up to get Levitre in the second, but I forget the name of the guy we picked at #9. LOL. Also, most so-called experts had the Bills' draft rated at or near the very top of drafts by any NFL team last year. We can play with our picks a little bit again perhaps. We could actually trade down and get a pick or two from somebody. Never know.

Goes to show you how far our o-line has gone to crap that we still need so much help on it.

acehole
02-25-2010, 09:29 AM
I've checked out a few of the bigger "mocks" out there (which I can't stress enough mean nothing to me in February). And most of them seem to have him going in the third round.

He seems to be on most board rankings around 6th or 7th among QBs

Great another discount bin project that wil set us back 4 years.