PDA

View Full Version : Still nothing on Pickett or Hampton

patmoran2006
02-23-2010, 09:54 AM
With the deadline to tag players on Thursday, I been digging like crazy with zero success to this point trying to find out anything about Casey Hampton or Ryan Pickett.

So far no news on either. Of the two, I think Hampton is more likely to get the franchise tag, though both could end up being tagged.

I would like to think that if either is allowed to hit the open market that they would be priority #1 for Buffalo in free agency.

I'm also sure both would produce multiple suitors, especially Miami, who badly wanted a shot at Wilfork.

Do you think either will not get tagged?

ChanGailey
02-23-2010, 10:01 AM
I'd prefer Pickett, but Hampton has ties to Whaley, our new Asst GM.

So, if they were to BOTH hit the market, I assume they'd try to land Hampton first.

It could be a debacle in the making though, as if they interview one before the other, and he walks, will the other guy still be around?

I could see them both hitting the market, and then both of them signing with NOT the Bills. And then everybody here being madder than a West Texas KKK rally during Martin Luther King day.

clumping platelets
02-23-2010, 10:18 AM
And then everybody here being madder than a West Texas KKK rally during Martin Luther King day.

or madder than an albino hitchhikin' in a snowstorm

psubills62
02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10054/1037957-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

The Steelers are nearing use of the franchise tag on would-be free agent NT Casey Hampton.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the sides are working on a multi-year deal, but the tag has always been more likely for the 32-year-old. Like Vince Wilfork, Hampton will be in line for a $7.003 salary once he's tagged.

The quote is from rotoworld.com

billsburgh
02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
cross Hampton off the FA list

The Steelers are trying to work out a long-term deal to keep nose tackle Casey Hampton from becoming an unrestricted free agent, but they will use the franchise tag on the five-time Pro Bowl selection if they can't, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10054/1037957-66.stm#ixzz0gNYI1FJU

Goobylal
02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
They will both definitely be tagged, if they're not signed. Allowing either to leave for nothing, especially when it costs so little ($7M) would be the height of stupidity.

psubills62
02-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Pickett's also stated that he wants to return to GB. I seriously doubt he'd come to Buffalo even if he did reach FA.

patmoran2006
02-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Hampton is definitely going to be tagged.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/casey-hampton-isnt-going-anywhere/

One down..

Goobylal
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I still can't believe anyone thought that the Bills would get a name NT in FA. They'll likely have to target an unheralded backup and hope he works, or get one in the draft.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I said it before Nick Easion will be the best option. Not a true difference maker but will give us good depth and help teach Spencer and Stroud the 3-4. I expect Kyle to be traded.

ServoBillieves
02-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Pickett > Tripplett. Been sayin that since we lost that debacle a couple years ago in picking up the latter.

Raptor
02-23-2010, 01:46 PM
It would be stupid for the Steelers not to tag Hampton for only 7 mil

Goobylal
02-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Weren't the Browns looking to trade Shaun Rogers last off-season? I'd re-explore that trade.

patmoran2006
02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
I said it before Nick Easion will be the best option. Not a true difference maker but will give us good depth and help teach Spencer and Stroud the 3-4. I expect Kyle to be traded.

I dont think Eason can play the DT in a 3-4

patmoran2006
02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Pickett > Tripplett. Been sayin that since we lost that debacle a couple years ago in picking up the latter.

We tried to sign Pickett a few years ago.. If I remember correctly he visited too

WeAreArthurMoates
02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
I dont think Eason can play the DT in a 3-4

I realize that but he certainly can play end. That's where I want him, to teach Spencer and Stroud. He'd be a good pick up. Good depth player who would play the run downs then Spencer could slide into his spot on passing situations.

Oaf
02-23-2010, 05:08 PM
My brother, big GB fan, says Pickett's production has been the 2nd most disappointing over the entire defense (1st being John McCargo's twin brother, Justin Harrell)

psubills62
02-23-2010, 10:00 PM
NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Packers are now planning to place the franchise tag on NT Ryan Pickett.

The Packers' use of the tag would further highlight the increasing value of 3-4 nose tackles, giving the position a clean-sweep of franchise players this year. The sides are still working on an extension, but the Packers are prepared to pay the $7M for one year to retain their run-stuffer.

From rotoworld.com