PDA

View Full Version : What is Chan Gailey's Offensive System?

Jan Reimers
02-24-2010, 07:27 AM
I thought I heard him say, at his initial press conference, that he would tailor his systems to his talent. Also, he has a record of success with a number of different styles of QB.

But I keep reading posts that push Vick, Campbell and other mobile (running) QBs as being suited to Chan's system. Does anyone know for sure what he really prefers?

Forward_Lateral
02-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Spread Offense.

mrbojanglezs
02-24-2010, 07:31 AM
he has ran the pistol

Mike in Syracuse
02-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Wishbone!

Raptor
02-24-2010, 07:59 AM
I thought I heard him say, at his initial press conference, that he would tailor his systems to his talent. Also, he has a record of success with a number of different styles of QB.

But I keep reading posts that push Vick, Campbell and other mobile (running) QBs as being suited to Chan's system. Does anyone know for sure what he really prefers?

That is what he said and that is what he does. People keep thinking the spread is coming or he wants a mobile QB but the reality is the reason he ran that in the past is because either that is what he had at the QB spot or he had the personal to run the spread so he did. People forget that the reason he started running the spread in KC is because L.Johnson got injured and he made the adjustment, before that the Chiefs where a power running team that had a passing game that fed off the play action

Ickybaluky
02-24-2010, 08:14 AM
People forget that the reason he started running the spread in KC is because L.Johnson got injured and he made the adjustment, before that the Chiefs where a power running team that had a passing game that fed off the play action

It is also what he ran in Pittsburgh, Dallas and Miami.

TigerJ
02-24-2010, 09:44 AM
The pistol is a variation of a spread offense, is it not? Is scrambling ability a requirement for running the spread?

methos4ever
02-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Here's a few excerpts from the article below: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n8_v222/ai_20342025/

It was interesting that Jones indicated one of the main reasons he chose Gailey over Lewis is Gailey has called plays in critical situations. Some would say that is the very reason Jones should have avoided him. Gailey was even criticized within the Steelers'organization for a call during the AFC title game. On a second-and-1 play at Denver's 35, Gailey called for Kordell Stewart to take a shot at the end zone instead of a safe run for a first down. Stewart was intercepted, and the Broncos subsequently turned a 14-7 deficit into a 24-21 win. The call would have looked a lot smarter had Stewart followed instructions and dumped off the ball or scrambled rather than throw into coverage.

Ravens defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis, who also worked with Gailey in Pittsburgh, says Gailey shows something new every week; consequently, Gailey's offenses are among the most difficult to prepare for. In 1995, the season the Steelers went to the Super Bowl, Gailey had great success with a five-receiver package.

If Stewart's play exposed the idiot in Gailey, it also exposed the genius. Two of the most important measures of a coach are his ability to adjust to his players' strengths and weaknesses and his ability to develop young players. Stewart is a passing, scrambling testament that Gailey can do either as well as almost anyone. Gailey figured out how to use the unique abilities of Stewart as a starting quarterback and helped figure out how to use him as a hybrid quarterback/receiver/running back. Stewart was a player who needed good coaching to ascend to the brink of greatness, and he got it from Gailey.

justasportsfan
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
While Gaileys ways have yet to show some results, I'm just glad that the won't force players to play a certain system like Dick did.

methos4ever
02-24-2010, 10:07 AM
"... I can remember Bill Parcells telling me one time, he said, 'You interview all those offensive coordinators and deep down, they all just want to throw it every down, but they'll tell you what you want (to hear) when you're interviewing them. There are very few that really want to run the ball. Well, Chan is one who will run the football."
Bill Cowher
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
September 4, 2001

http://texnews.com/1998/cowboys/dogs0728.html

It was a bizarre play call not seen on a Dallas practice field since Tom Landry installed the throwback pass to quarterback Danny White.

Wide receiver Michael Irvin lined up in the backfield out of the shotgun formation with quarterback Troy Aikman.

As the defense rushed Aikman, he lobbed the ball to Irvin on a screen pass. The play went for five yards or so but it showed the offensive imagination of new coach Chan Gailey.

Gailey is trying everything he can think of to defeat double coverage on Irvin this season.

"I love it," Irvin said. "They've got me in the slot, in motion, in the backfield and all around the town."

Austin American-Statesman (Texas)

May 6, 1998

Gailey wants to create a run-pass balance, which will still feature Smith as the primary running back. Free-agent signee Chris Warren will be available to give Smith an occasional breather.

The Cowboys ranked 20th in the league in total offense last season, suggesting that their talent base had eroded. Gailey said that is not the case.

Aikman, Smith and Irvin are still among the best offensive players in the NFL. The addition of rookie lineman Flozell Adams and free agent Everett McIver should help the offense. Also, guard Nate Newton's weight has dropped to less than 300 pounds for the first time in his career.

"I'm not trying to say I've got a magic wand to wave over the offense, but these are the guys we have," Gailey said. "I like our skill at quarterback. I like our skill at tight end with David LaFleur. I like our skill at running back and wide receiver. I don't see a big void."

Well, perhaps one.

Gailey admits his offense doesn't have a name. Some have mistakenly called it a West Coast offense.

"Neither coast is involved," Gailey joked. "We're just a good middle America offense. We have no name."

madness
02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
That is what he said and that is what he does. People keep thinking the spread is coming or he wants a mobile QB but the reality is the reason he ran that in the past is because either that is what he had at the QB spot or he had the personal to run the spread so he did. People forget that the reason he started running the spread in KC is because L.Johnson got injured and he made the adjustment, before that the Chiefs where a power running team that had a passing game that fed off the play action

Exactly. Gailey himself said the threw out the playbook after the QB and RB injuries because he knew the system didn't fit Thigpen. The truth is Gailey doesn't have a specific offensive system. He switches up things on dime if he has to and the word "predictable" is no where in the vicinity when describing his playcalling. Dare I say it, he seems to be the Bruce Lee of OC's. Gailey seems to believe there isn't one single system out there that's the best. You adapt to the current talent and situation and keep the defense on their toes.

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend." ~Bruce Lee

Here's some interesting stuff from an older articles...

Previous Success as an Offensive Coordinator
Gailey spent two seasons as the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator improving the team from an 11th ranked offense in his first year (1996) to a 7th ranked offense the next. In comparison, the next three seasons without Gailey saw their offensive rank dip to 28th, 17th and 17th.

From 2000-2001 Gailey served as the Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator. His first season saw a middle of the road offense that ranked 16th in the NFL. The following season the team improved to the 8th ranked offense. Both seasons the Dolphins posted 11-5 records.
Gailey stuck around for 2 seasons and saw improvement in offensive statistical rankings.

A Thinking Man's Offense
Gailey's known for his unorthodox play calling as an offensive coordinator. But this line from a 1999 article (http://www.texnews.com/1998/1999/cowboys/off1024.html) comparing Norv Turner and Chan Gailey's offensive systems speaks volumes about his ability as a head coach.

Turner dares you to stop him. Gailey challenges you to outthink him.
This is a key point, especially when applied to today's NFL. It's rare that players will have a major athletic advantage over another. In the NFL, everyone is athletic, everyone is strong, everyone is fast, etc. Gailey is cognizant of this and tries to beat opponents by out-thinking them.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/1/19/1258856/why-chan-gailey-would-be-a-good

As offensive minds among NFL head coaches go, Norv Turner and Chan Gailey are about as alike as right brain/left brain. Their names may be symmetrical, right down to the number of letters, but their philosophies on how to move the football and put up points are highly dissimilar, especially in their use of the running game.

Gailey, the Cowboys' second-year head coach who is under fire by fans and media for a 14th-ranked offense that has produced only three touchdowns in its past 10 quarters, has more of a thinking man's offense. There are frequent changes of personnel packages in the offense, which utilizes running backs as receivers, sometimes even winding up with an empty backfield behind the quarterback. It also features a running game that is geared more to the outside.

"In Chan's offense, we put pressure on the defense by making them think and adjust to what we're doing," said injured Cowboys fullback Daryl Johnston, who has played under both systems. "In Norv's system, it was mainly: `OK, you know what we do. Let's see if you can stop it.'"

These are styles different from each other. There is more power blocking in Turner's offense; there is more pulling in Gailey's offense. They also have their similarities: Both offenses are designed to protect the passer.

"Both offenses believe in keeping a back in to protect the quarterback, which is the antithesis of what they do in San Francisco," said Jones, who predictably gave the Gailey offense the edge over the Turner-Zampese system when asked to compare.

"In my opinion, Chan utilizes Emmitt as a runner in an improved way ... giving him a chance to make a 1/4Rprogression read1/4S, pick out the soft spot and make a bigger play than he might otherwise get running off-tackle.

"Chan also incorporates some unorthodox play-calling into his offense and that scares opposing defensive coordinators. I know this. Dan Reeves does the same thing in Atlanta."
http://www.texnews.com/1998/1999/cowboys/off1024.html

The battle between offensive and defensive coordinators is ongoing. Both must be smart, creative and adjust an entire week's worth of preparation on the fly as game conditions dictate. As more defenses use shifting 3-4 alignments, offensive coordinators must adjust game plans accordingly. RealScouts, Sporting News' team of former NFL scouts, rank their top 20 offensive coordinators:
1. Cam Cameron, Ravens. Being innovative is only part of the job. Putting your best players in a position to be successful is another. Cameron, despite his reputation taking a beating in his one year in Miami, is a great coach who took a Division I-AA quarterback and turned him into a productive NFL starter as a rookie.
2. Chan Gailey, Chiefs. Gailey's shotgun-heavy attack is a perfect philosophical fit with new coach Todd Haley. It also will limit the learning curve of QB Matt <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: darkgreen;" id="itxt_nobr_3_0">Casselhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif</nobr> (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-06-02/offensive-coordinator-rankings-cams-best#), who played in a similar system last season in New England. The Chiefs will attack through the air and could have the NFL's most improved offense in '09.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/6/3/897406/chiefs-gailey-ranked-as-nfls

I recently got asked by another online publication why keeping Chan Gailey was one of the best decisions the Chiefs could have made. I relayed this story, found in our FanShot section (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/6/2/897017/in-1996-the-pittsburgh-steelers), of Gailey's first encounter with Kordell Stewart while with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1996.

Chan Gailey, their Offensive Coordinator, came up with an idea. "Let’s make him a slash," he said.
"What’s a slash?" people asked
Chan Gailey said, "You’ll see."

Beebe's Kid
02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
This is a great thread!

These are real people, with real experience with Chan...so much better than the public hanging he has been sentenced to.

I guess I will bump it, so it doesn't get buried under any of the following:

1. Thurman's Tweets
2. Ralph is Cheap
3. Bills are moving
4. I love/hate...Vick, Tebow, Edwards, Losman, etc etc etc.
5. I don't care if we are good, just change the jerseys!!
6. Trade Lynch/Whitner
7. OL or QB? I will also include the occasional NT/LB options here.
8. We suck, and the sky is falling
9. We are awesome, if you don't think so like the Pats*
10. Mama Pecorarro is giving big discounts.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
All I know is that Chan will suit the offense to these players but I also no he loves to run the ball. Even out of the pistol, I envison us running the ball quite a bit. Also, he's not afraid to give the D multiple looks.

mark1126
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
chans ability to get the most out of a QB's skill set is what makes trent worthy, he has a good skill set to work with but had no offensive line and poor schemes and system..should be interesting

madness
02-25-2010, 12:01 PM
From the combine:

- Third string quarterback Brian Brohm was brought up and Gailey offered this about his philosophy, "I don't try to fit guys in to what I want to do. I try to fit what we do in to the best football players we have. If Brian Brohm is the best player, we'll adapt and adjust to what he does best."

madness
02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Gailey's own thoughts...

"When you talk about base offense, I think if you talked to the people that I've worked with, the players I've coached, the one thing we've always tried to do is put people in position to be successful," Gailey said."We don't have a name for our offense. We're not East this, West this, North this, South this. We're going to do whatever it takes to move the football, score touchdowns and if it has to adjust because we have players that are better suited for one thing than another, then we're going to do that."