PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mayock on Bulaga

DraftBoy
02-24-2010, 07:40 AM
http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/docs-office/2010/02/23/nfl-network-analyst-bulaga-could-crack-the-top-5

“Bulaga to me is going to be one of the four offensive tackles that could possibly go in the first nine picks,” Mayock said. “If you think about Scott Pioli, the GM of the Kansas City Chiefs, is a good friend and admirer of (Iowa Coach) Kirk Ferentz. He loves the type of technician that Kirk develops with offensive linemen. So it wouldn’t surprise me if he went as early as No. 5 to Kansas City.”

Bulaga, a 6-foot-6, 315-pound three-year starter at Iowa, was named the 2009 Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year. He also was tabbed a second-team All-American. Iowa last had a first-round pick in 2006 when linebacker Chad Greenway went No. 17 overall to the Minnesota Vikings. Iowa’s last top 10 pick was offensive tackle Robert Gallery, who went No. 2 overall to Oakland in 2004.

Mayock ranks Bulaga second among available offensive tackles for this year’s draft.

Mayock and I have Bulaga ranked at the exact same place.

k-oneputt
02-24-2010, 07:58 AM
All I know if he is the pick at #9 he damn well better be able to play left tackle on day one.
We can't be using #9 on a right tackle.
On this team there is no reason for that pick not to immediately walk in and start. Unlike our #11 pick last year who was useless.

SABURZFAN
02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
i think this kid can be a Day One starter for the Bills at LT.

psubills62
02-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Mayock also has Earl Thomas ranked above Eric Berry.

Mayock is always trying to shake things up, but usually in ways people don't expect. He's a good evaluator, but his job is still similar to Kiper/McShay...he's looking to get people talking and to create controversy.

Mahdi
02-24-2010, 08:26 AM
http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/docs-office/2010/02/23/nfl-network-analyst-bulaga-could-crack-the-top-5

Mayock and I have Bulaga ranked at the exact same place.
Bulaga as the #2 OT is pretty much consensus but Earl Thomas ahead of Berry is just madness.

Thomas is no where near Berry. Mayock pretty much took the top 3 players in the draft and shook em up.

don137
02-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Mayock also has Earl Thomas ranked above Eric Berry.

Mayock is always trying to shake things up, but usually in ways people don't expect. He's a good evaluator, but his job is still similar to Kiper/McShay...he's looking to get people talking and to create controversy.

Kiper/McShay are not even in the same ballpark as Mayock as far as being a talent evaluator. For a guy that evaluates talent for the NFL Network he has a tracked record that is far superior to Kiper/McShay. If you look at his record in the last few drafts he has had a lot more hits than misses when evaluating talent. The same can not be said for Kiper/McShay.
I am not saying he is correct about the Thomas/Berry prediction but I respect Mayock's opinion much more than anyone else on TV or on the internet evaluating talent.

BidsJr
02-24-2010, 08:40 AM
All I know if he is the pick at #9 he damn well better be able to play left tackle on day one.
On this team there is no reason for that pick not to immediately walk in and start. Unlike our #11 pick last year who was useless.

Bulaga is a pure bred LT.

colin
02-24-2010, 08:45 AM
imo even if bulaga starts at RT and we bring someone in or switch someone to LT it's good. oher moved to LT during the year and if it takes bulaga a season or less it's not a loss. the idea is our line gets better, not our one position gets better.

i love the big LB from alabama, but if we get campbell and go OT day one, and FA LBs and 2nd round LBs i really can't complain.

BidsJr
02-24-2010, 08:46 AM
imo even if bulaga starts at RT and we bring someone in or switch someone to LT it's good. oher moved to LT during the year and if it takes bulaga a season or less it's not a loss. the idea is our line gets better, not our one position gets better.

i love the big LB from alabama, but if we get campbell and go OT day one, and FA LBs and 2nd round LBs i really can't complain.

WTH is this Bulaga RT crap? He has been a LT basically his entire life.

DraftBoy
02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Its related to people worried about his shorter arms. Personally I think he is a bonafide LT prospect.

k-oneputt
02-24-2010, 08:54 AM
WTH is this Bulaga RT crap? He has been a LT basically his entire life.

That's college. Just because he's played left tackle since midget football doesn't necessarily mean he can play it in the NFL.
All I'm saying is he better be able to handle the speed rushers and the blind side if he is the pick.

BidsJr
02-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Its related to people worried about his shorter arms. Personally I think he is a bonafide LT prospect.

If his arms are indeed short he will make up for it with nastiness. No issues with him being a LT here from Rookie mini camps on.

k-oneputt
02-24-2010, 09:02 AM
If his arms are indeed short he will make up for it with nastiness. No issues with him being a LT here from Rookie mini camps on.

On this team I'm sure he would be the best lt in camp, but thats not saying much. I personally like him more on the right side but if he can get it done on the left I am on board.

BidsJr
02-24-2010, 09:04 AM
On this team I'm sure he would be the best lt in camp, but thats not saying much. I personally like him more on the right side but if he can get it done on the left I am on board.

Right side? Is this a joke? Have you ever seen him play or do you like making random player assessments like Snead at QB?

Raptor
02-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Kiper/McShay are not even in the same ballpark as Mayock as far as being a talent evaluator. For a guy that evaluates talent for the NFL Network he has a tracked record that is far superior to Kiper/McShay. If you look at his record in the last few drafts he has had a lot more hits than misses when evaluating talent. The same can not be said for Kiper/McShay.
I am not saying he is correct about the Thomas/Berry prediction but I respect Mayock's opinion much more than anyone else on TV or on the internet evaluating talent.

I think Kiper is a lot closer to Mayock then you giving him credit for(cant argue McShay, the guy is a clown)

Take Cutler for example, his first two years Mayock looked to have the more accurate report, the most recent two Kipers report looks far more accurate

Raptor
02-24-2010, 09:08 AM

I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a much stronger run blocker than he is pass blocker, which usually means RT. Even he himself admits he has a lot of work to do on his pass blocking skills

BidsJr
02-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I think it has more to do with the fact that he's a much stronger run blocker than he is pass blocker, which usually means RT. Even he himself admits he has a lot of work to do on his pass blocking skills

That is probably a better indication of how well Iowa O-Lineman run block, than it is to him being a crappy pass blocker.

TigerJ
02-24-2010, 09:13 AM
I think Bulaga will do fine at left tackle.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-24-2010, 09:40 AM
I hope he's on the board but I just dont think he makes it past Seattle. So that probably leave Dan Williams or Jimmy Clausen at 9.

psubills62
02-24-2010, 09:42 AM

You seem to have misconstrued what I was saying. I'm saying they have the same kind of job. They're not there to necessarily scout for teams. They all (Mayock, Kiper, McShay) want to mix things up and get people talking.

I would tend to agree...I respect Mayock more than Kiper/McShay. In the end, I really don't mind Kiper that much, but I really, really dislike McShay.

patmoran2006
02-24-2010, 09:55 AM

WHOEVER we draft at #9 better be ready to start from day one, we don't have that development luxury.. No more Aaron Maybins and Leodis McKelvins that need to be eased into the lineup.

I think the one possible exception could be a QB.

WeAreArthurMoates
02-24-2010, 10:02 AM
WHOEVER we draft at #9 better be ready to start from day one, we don't have that development luxury.. No more Aaron Maybins and Leodis McKelvins that need to be eased into the lineup.

I think the one possible exception could be a QB.

Even the qb may win the job seeing he's only facing Trent and Ryan for his competetion. Bradford and Clausen are much more talented.

DraftBoy
02-24-2010, 11:20 AM

True, but remeber what happened with Oher last year when everybody was worried about his arm length? Same situation Im hearing here.

BuffaloRanger
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
If a Top 10 drafted QB can't come in and beat out Trent and Fitz as starter - all playing in a new offense - then we have problems.