• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Should NHL Adopt Olympic Point System?

When is the NHL going to stop being stubborn and realize the three point game is bad for hockey? It doesn't make sense that in the same night they can award two points in some games and three in others and yet it happens.

The 2010 Winter Olympic hockey tournament is using a different system to run their tournament. They are awarding three points for a regulation win, two points for an overtime or shootout win, one point for an overtime or shootout loss and zero points for a regulation loss.

----------------
    While I agree with the main thought of the article, it actually shows that there isn't a ton of difference if the NHL used this point style or at least it looked that way to me.

D & S Sports

• The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Should NHL Adopt Olympic Point System?

The current system doesnt bug me.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

If the NHL was played liked the Olympics there would be more fans and would be a much more exciting style. I love NHL hockey but the Olympics is a totally different animal.

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

That is how soccer does it too.

NHL Home Ice on Sirius radio brought this topic up once- they took the current team standings (about a month ago) and applied this very point system.

At the time, it was amazing on how the standings DID NOT CHANGE. I think in the Western conference, only 2 or 3 teams changed spots, and all of those were well outside of the playoff hunt.

In the East, there was very little movement as well.The only team really impacted was Montreal- who at the time have won a huge amount of their games in OT or the shootout.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
          • Feb 2005

I think awarding 3 points for a regulation win and 2 points to an extra-time win is a very good idea. While it may not change the standings on any significant level, it makes MUCH, MUCH more sense and is MUCH fairer in circumstances where it does change standings from how current rulings would have them.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Absolutely. I hate the "some games are worth 2, unless they're worth 3" system.

While we're at it, can the shootout.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
              Absolutely. I hate the "some games are worth 2, unless they're worth 3" system.

While we're at it, can the shootout.
              Unless you want 5 hour regulation games, keep the shootout. Personally, I like the shootout. Maybe have a 10 min OT, reducing the need for shootouts.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                Unless you want 5 hour regulation games, keep the shootout. Personally, I like the shootout. Maybe have a 10 min OT, reducing the need for shootouts.
                Then maybe we need to bring ties back. I need to think about this more because I haven't fully worked out a proposed solution, but the point is that it's a hockey game and the winner should win by playing hockey.

If a baseball game is tied after 9 innings, they don't settle it with a home run derby.
                If a basketball game is tied after 4 quarters, they don't settle it with a game of HORSE.
                If a football game is tied after 4 quarters, they don't settle it with a punt, pass and kick competition.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

How about regulation wins, loses and ties. 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie and zero for a loss...I heard that worked for like 60 years.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                    How about regulation wins, loses and ties. 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie and zero for a loss...I heard that worked for like 60 years.
                    I'm on board. But someone told Gary Bettman that Americans don't like ties so we can't do it.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

I'm on board. But someone told Gary Bettman that Americans don't like ties so we can't do it.
                      Gary Bettman is a moron...that doesn't make him right.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Then maybe we need to bring ties back. I need to think about this more because I haven't fully worked out a proposed solution, but the point is that it's a hockey game and the winner should win by playing hockey.

If a baseball game is tied after 9 innings, they don't settle it with a home run derby.
                        If a basketball game is tied after 4 quarters, they don't settle it with a game of HORSE.
                        If a football game is tied after 4 quarters, they don't settle it with a punt, pass and kick competition.
                        Baseball is not a demanding sport- and usually the teams involved are playing in the same city the next day.

Basketball is all about scoring- marathon games are very rare. They play OT and it's usually resolved after 20 minutes of extra elapsed time

Most football games end. Rarely do they tie (One out of every 3-4 seasons- or one out of every 500 games played)

I hate hockey ties. When there were ties, teams tied as many as 20 or more games a season. I'm not shelling out $90 for a crappy seat just to see a road team play for a tie, ice the puck every chance, and play the trap.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                          When there were ties, teams tied as many as 20 or more games a season. I'm not shelling out $90 for a crappy seat just to see a road team play for a tie, ice the puck every chance, and play the trap.
                          They do that now...they just invented this artificial thing called a shoot out.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                            I think awarding 3 points for a regulation win and 2 points to an extra-time win is a very good idea. While it may not change the standings on any significant level, it makes MUCH, MUCH more sense and is MUCH fairer in circumstances where it does change standings from how current rulings would have them.
                            It might not change the current standings but what if teams knew that they could have gotten 3 points instead of 2, maybe teams won't skate around like the ice capades for the last minutes of a game just protecting their one point.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

If we really want a winner how about they just shut the clock off at the end of regulation...keep playing...no commercials, no time outs, no stoppages...the game will not end up being a marathon.

Comment

Working...
                              X