PDA

View Full Version : Should NHL Adopt Olympic Point System?

RockStar36
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
When is the NHL going to stop being stubborn and realize the three point game is bad for hockey? It doesn't make sense that in the same night they can award two points in some games and three in others and yet it happens.

The 2010 Winter Olympic hockey tournament is using a different system to run their tournament. They are awarding three points for a regulation win, two points for an overtime or shootout win, one point for an overtime or shootout loss and zero points for a regulation loss.

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2010/2/23/1322350/should-nhl-adopt-olympic-point?ref=yahoo

----------------
While I agree with the main thought of the article, it actually shows that there isn't a ton of difference if the NHL used this point style or at least it looked that way to me.

The King
02-24-2010, 11:44 AM
The current system doesnt bug me.

The Spaz
02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
If the NHL was played liked the Olympics there would be more fans and would be a much more exciting style. I love NHL hockey but the Olympics is a totally different animal.

Dozerdog
02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
That is how soccer does it too.

NHL Home Ice on Sirius radio brought this topic up once- they took the current team standings (about a month ago) and applied this very point system.

At the time, it was amazing on how the standings DID NOT CHANGE. I think in the Western conference, only 2 or 3 teams changed spots, and all of those were well outside of the playoff hunt.

In the East, there was very little movement as well.The only team really impacted was Montreal- who at the time have won a huge amount of their games in OT or the shootout.

DMBcrew36
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
I think awarding 3 points for a regulation win and 2 points to an extra-time win is a very good idea. While it may not change the standings on any significant level, it makes MUCH, MUCH more sense and is MUCH fairer in circumstances where it does change standings from how current rulings would have them.

OpIv37
02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Absolutely. I hate the "some games are worth 2, unless they're worth 3" system.

While we're at it, can the shootout.

Dozerdog
02-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Absolutely. I hate the "some games are worth 2, unless they're worth 3" system.

While we're at it, can the shootout.

Unless you want 5 hour regulation games, keep the shootout. Personally, I like the shootout. Maybe have a 10 min OT, reducing the need for shootouts.

OpIv37
02-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Unless you want 5 hour regulation games, keep the shootout. Personally, I like the shootout. Maybe have a 10 min OT, reducing the need for shootouts.

Then maybe we need to bring ties back. I need to think about this more because I haven't fully worked out a proposed solution, but the point is that it's a hockey game and the winner should win by playing hockey.

If a baseball game is tied after 9 innings, they don't settle it with a home run derby.
If a basketball game is tied after 4 quarters, they don't settle it with a game of HORSE.
If a football game is tied after 4 quarters, they don't settle it with a punt, pass and kick competition.

Ebenezer
02-24-2010, 03:24 PM
How about regulation wins, loses and ties. 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie and zero for a loss...I heard that worked for like 60 years.

OpIv37
02-24-2010, 03:25 PM
How about regulation wins, loses and ties. 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie and zero for a loss...I heard that worked for like 60 years.

I'm on board. But someone told Gary Bettman that Americans don't like ties so we can't do it.

Ebenezer
02-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm on board. But someone told Gary Bettman that Americans don't like ties so we can't do it.
Gary Bettman is a moron...that doesn't make him right.

Dozerdog
02-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Then maybe we need to bring ties back. I need to think about this more because I haven't fully worked out a proposed solution, but the point is that it's a hockey game and the winner should win by playing hockey.

If a baseball game is tied after 9 innings, they don't settle it with a home run derby.
If a basketball game is tied after 4 quarters, they don't settle it with a game of HORSE.
If a football game is tied after 4 quarters, they don't settle it with a punt, pass and kick competition.

Baseball is not a demanding sport- and usually the teams involved are playing in the same city the next day.

Basketball is all about scoring- marathon games are very rare. They play OT and it's usually resolved after 20 minutes of extra elapsed time

Most football games end. Rarely do they tie (One out of every 3-4 seasons- or one out of every 500 games played)

I hate hockey ties. When there were ties, teams tied as many as 20 or more games a season. I'm not shelling out $90 for a crappy seat just to see a road team play for a tie, ice the puck every chance, and play the trap.

Ebenezer
02-24-2010, 04:19 PM
When there were ties, teams tied as many as 20 or more games a season. I'm not shelling out $90 for a crappy seat just to see a road team play for a tie, ice the puck every chance, and play the trap.

They do that now...they just invented this artificial thing called a shoot out.

SabreEleven
02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
I think awarding 3 points for a regulation win and 2 points to an extra-time win is a very good idea. While it may not change the standings on any significant level, it makes MUCH, MUCH more sense and is MUCH fairer in circumstances where it does change standings from how current rulings would have them.

It might not change the current standings but what if teams knew that they could have gotten 3 points instead of 2, maybe teams won't skate around like the ice capades for the last minutes of a game just protecting their one point.

Ebenezer
02-24-2010, 04:24 PM
If we really want a winner how about they just shut the clock off at the end of regulation...keep playing...no commercials, no time outs, no stoppages...the game will not end up being a marathon.

Ingtar33
02-24-2010, 06:02 PM
there are no ties any more. just go on winning % like every other major sport does.

dump the idiot point system.

DMBcrew36
02-24-2010, 06:56 PM
3 pts for regulation win
2 pts for overtime/shootout win with the other point going to the other team

its the only reasonable, fair way to go.

A team beating another team in a shootout should never be given the points as a team beating another team handedly in regulation.

chernobylwraiths
02-25-2010, 06:36 AM
My solution would be the same as others suggested with one major change.

3 points for regulation win
2 points for overtime win
1 point for overtime loss
1 point for shootout win
0 points for shootout loss

With this system, you will have teams really try hard to get the three and even harder to get two in overtime with the chance that they won't get ANY after a shootout. I think the overtime would really be something with many teams using four forwards. The shootout really helps out a team with a few players with one skill. Oh, put a timer on the shooter too, like 5 seconds. These guys coming slowly down on the goalie really screw up the timing on the goalie. I think being a goalie one on one with some really great players and the other team's best shooters is tough enough. With this system I would say you could start repeating players after 5, 10, etc.

SabreEleven
02-25-2010, 08:46 AM
My solution would be the same as others suggested with one major change.

3 points for regulation win
2 points for overtime win
1 point for overtime loss
1 point for shootout win
0 points for shootout loss

With this system, you will have teams really try hard to get the three and even harder to get two in overtime with the chance that they won't get ANY after a shootout. I think the overtime would really be something with many teams using four forwards. The shootout really helps out a team with a few players with one skill. Oh, put a timer on the shooter too, like 5 seconds. These guys coming slowly down on the goalie really screw up the timing on the goalie. I think being a goalie one on one with some really great players and the other team's best shooters is tough enough. With this system I would say you could start repeating players after 5, 10, etc.

I like this but a senario that comes to mind would be what if a team needed just one point to make the playoffs and the game goes into OT. The team would lose the game in OT on purpose instead of risking it going into a shoot out. I do like your thinking. We could just keep it simple and do 2 points for a win and 0 for a loss no matter when you win or lose.