PDA

View Full Version : The Russians sure sucked

Dozerdog
02-24-2010, 08:52 PM
What a Disappointment.

What would really suck is if we get a USA/Canada gold medal game

I was really hoping the USA would play a wide variety of teams- turns out we get the Swiss twice, now if we can get by the CZE/FIN winner, we get Canada twice.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Ground Chuck
02-24-2010, 08:56 PM
How sweet would it be to beat the Canadians twice on their home ice during their Olympics. :rofl:

SaviorEdwards
02-24-2010, 09:06 PM
I was looking forward to this game all day. What a huge dissappointment from start to finish. A couple of ex sabres with goals though. The only highlight was Staal getting plowed.

Ingtar33
02-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Boyle should be suspended for the rest of the Olympics for that slew foot.

The Spaz
02-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Horrible!:down:

DMBcrew36
02-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Boyle should be suspended for the rest of the Olympics for that slew foot.

Yeah I don't understand the justification the CNBC announcers, Roenick and Milbury were trying to make. The Semin hit was clean. Boyle came in with not just a slewfoot, but one of the dirtiest slewfoots you will ever see. It's one thing to kick out the skate of a player, but it's another to exponeniate the violence of it by pairing it with arms in his face to throw his upper-body back with all of your strength (while kicking out the skates). Boyle should be suspended for the remainder of the tourny for intent to injure.

Ebenezer
02-24-2010, 09:59 PM
I really don't want to play Canada again.

OpIv37
02-24-2010, 10:29 PM
I really don't want to play Canada again.

agreed. We were lucky to get past the Swiss a second time. Hiller is damn good.

Crisis
02-24-2010, 11:44 PM
beating canada twice on their home ice would be amazing

but i don't want to play them again either, lol

Buffalogic
02-25-2010, 12:29 AM
The performance by the Russian team was really shocking for me. They got beat down and looked like wimps.

northernbillfan
02-25-2010, 08:47 AM
You guys are whacked. Russia didn't suck, Canada brought it's Eh game.

If I were you, I wouldn't want to play Canada again either.

DMBcrew36
02-25-2010, 08:57 AM
You guys are whacked. Russia didn't suck, Canada brought it's Eh game.

If I were you, I wouldn't want to play Canada again either.

Boyle should still be suspended for the remainder of the tournament.

RockStar36
02-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Russia was awful. Nabakov was worse than awful. If I'm a San Jose fan and I'm hoping the Sharks don't choke in the first round, that game didn't fill me with confidence.

That being said, I don't want the USA playing Canada again either. Although at this point, USA has already exceeded my expectations.

northernbillfan
02-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Boyle should still be suspended for the remainder of the tournament.Hard to argue with that.

Forward_Lateral
02-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Funny nobody is mentioning the dirty hit on Staal into the end boards that could've seriously injured him. That was just as dirty as Boyle's play, and went unpenalized.

The reffing last night was horrible. Russia had too many men twice and didn't get called for it, not to mention the numerous penalties that went uncalled both ways. I hope it's better the remaining games.

Ebenezer
02-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Funny nobody is mentioning the dirty hit on Staal into the end boards that could've seriously injured him. That was just as dirty as Boyle's play, and went unpenalized.

And that is exactly what will end the pro participation in the Olympics someday...one major name getting seriously hurt and altering the course of the playoff chase here. I'm not saying the pros shouldn't play but they shouldn't be playing in the middle of the season.

RockStar36
02-25-2010, 10:36 AM
And that is exactly what will end the pro participation in the Olympics someday...one major name getting seriously hurt and altering the course of the playoff chase here. I'm not saying the pros shouldn't play but they shouldn't be playing in the middle of the season.

Hasek got hurt in 2006 and missed the rest of the season for Ottawa. I'm willing to bet throwing Ray Emery into the fold for the rest of the season and playoffs affected the Sens quite a bit.

Ebenezer
02-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Hasek got hurt in 2006 and missed the rest of the season for Ottawa. I'm willing to bet throwing Ray Emery into the fold for the rest of the season and playoffs affected the Sens quite a bit.

did you know the back story to this? His equipment got left behind in Ottawa and he did not practice leading up to play. He went into the game basically cold and got hurt...he was also 41 and while a great goalie wasn't considered a star of the game at that point...the next season Detroit was spot starting him to get him to the playoffs - they didn't make it to the cup.

RockStar36
02-25-2010, 10:48 AM
did you know the back story to this? His equipment got left behind in Ottawa and he did not practice leading up to play. He went into the game basically cold and got hurt...he was also 41 and while a great goalie wasn't considered a star of the game at that point...the next season Detroit was spot starting him to get him to the playoffs - they didn't make it to the cup.

No, I didn't know the back story to that at all.

Honestly, I just always assumed it was Hasek getting one of his "injuries" at a very bad time for another team.

Ebenezer
02-25-2010, 10:53 AM
No, I didn't know the back story to that at all.

Honestly, I just always assumed it was Hasek getting one of his "injuries" at a very bad time for another team.

Well, there was always some skepticism around it and to whether he was "faking" it or not.

Look, I know everybody is enjoying this. I am watching the games and having fun with it but in all truthfullness IF anything happens to Ryan Miller I am going to be pissed beyond words. The risk of injury does not outweight the possibility of the Stanley Cup. I love the USA, rah rah, but I want a Cup. I'm not Slovakian...I grew up wanting my local team to win a Stanley Cup. Miller gives the Sabres at least the hope. Injuries can happen in the regular season but I don't want to lose my best players because of the hope of wrapping a medal around their neck.

Pros in the International Championships? Sure. Have it during the summer.

RockStar36
02-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Well, there was always some skepticism around it and to whether he was "faking" it or not.

Look, I know everybody is enjoying this. I am watching the games and having fun with it but in all truthfullness IF anything happens to Ryan Miller I am going to be pissed beyond words. The risk of injury does not outweight the possibility of the Stanley Cup. I love the USA, rah rah, but I want a Cup. I'm not Slovakian...I grew up wanting my local team to win a Stanley Cup. Miller gives the Sabres at least the hope. Injuries can happen in the regular season but I don't want to lose my best players because of the hope of wrapping a medal around their neck.

Pros in the International Championships? Sure. Have it during the summer.

I can agree with this.

I've been watching all the USA games and in the back of my mind I have that thought creeping in that if he gets hurt, the Sabres are ****ed. It's simple math to me..

Stanley Cup > Olympic Gold

I just try not to think about it. In reality, he can get hurt every time he steps on the ice for practice. And besides Canada, he hasn't had too many rough games.

Ebenezer
02-25-2010, 11:02 AM
I can agree with this.

I've been watching all the USA games and in the back of my mind I have that thought creeping in that if he gets hurt, the Sabres are ****ed. It's simple math to me..

I just try not to think about it. In reality, he can get hurt every time he steps on the ice for practice. And besides Canada, he hasn't had too many rough games.

There was one shot that he was slow to get up from yesterday and one scrum where somebody fell on his leg.

No doubt. Any player can get injured at any time - but I want that injury to occur in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

Ebenezer
02-25-2010, 11:05 AM

BTW, obviously there are world championships every year...they are held in May at the end of the NHL regular season. Most stars (who are not in the playoffs) don't play in them. Why? They are beat from the season (and the playoffs if they played in a round) and they don't want to get injured playing in something that has no intrinsic meaning. These games only mean more because the word "olympic" is attached to them. The World's have no less value - to everybody outside the NHL - it just doesn't carry "olympic" next to it.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
What would really suck for Canada is if USA loses to Finland.

Ebenezer
02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
What would really suck for Canada is if USA loses to Finland.

why?

northernbillfan
02-25-2010, 12:42 PM
What would really suck for Canada is if USA loses to Finland.USA > Finland. I'd rather see them play Finland than USA.

northernbillfan
02-25-2010, 12:43 PM

The reffing last night was horrible. Russia had too many men twice and didn't get called for it, not to mention the numerous penalties that went uncalled both ways. I hope it's better the remaining games.They did mention the Ref was American after he missed the first two many men.

The Staal hit was dirty Russian play at it's best or worse.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I think the Canadians really want to play the US again.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-25-2010, 02:13 PM
why?

You don't want to see that rematch?

Ebenezer
02-25-2010, 02:56 PM

no...Canada will kick our ass.

RockStar36
02-25-2010, 02:57 PM

No.

The Canada game was the hardest one yet and they are super pissed off after Sunday.

Not to mention all the USA fans who talked **** after that game will be forced to eat a big steaming pile of crow one week later when the game matters the most.

Crisis
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
am i the only one that loved boyle putting that little ***** semin in his place?

northernbillfan
02-25-2010, 05:52 PM
am i the only one that loved boyle putting that little ***** semin in his place?It was sweet, especially after what Semin did to Boyle earlier.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-25-2010, 11:41 PM
No way, I want the rematch. Why wouldn't you, it is just the Olympics for goodness sake. The US wasn't even suppose to medal, bring on the rematch.

Michael82
02-25-2010, 11:46 PM
No way, I want the rematch. Why wouldn't you, it is just the Olympics for goodness sake. The US wasn't even suppose to medal, bring on the rematch.

Canada is on fire right now. We woke the sleeping dragon and they will probably beat the hell out of us! I'd rather play Slovakia.

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2010, 06:39 AM
You guys should worry about Finland.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-26-2010, 07:52 AM
How are the Canadians on fire? They beat Russia, who else have they beaten? A Russian team that obviously has zero defense and a bad goalie outing. Bring it on, play the best to be the best. Some of you are pussies. F_L I am not on the team, I don't have to worry about Finland.

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
How are the Canadians on fire? They beat Russia, who else have they beaten? A Russian team that obviously has zero defense and a bad goalie outing. Bring it on, play the best to be the best. Some of you are pussies. F_L I am not on the team, I don't have to worry about Finland.

True, but it's not a given that the US is going to beat Finland. It's not a given that Canada is going to be Slovakia, either.

Are you really going to blame the goaltending for that loss? You didn't watch the game, if you are. He had no chance on most of those goals.

I agree about Russia's D being garbage, and I pointed that out before Canada even played them. Russia was over-rated, but Canada still destroyed them, which not even the biggest Canadian homers saw coming.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Obviously the Nucks and the Americans have to win their games, but if the US wins, I want the rematch.

No question Canada destroyed the Russians, the Russians had zero answers for them. I am certainly not saying Canada wasn't the far better team, but it was only one game. Canada beat Norway, a SO win against the Swiss, and Russia. They are the best in the world, the US beat them, I want to see that game again to see if it was for real. Like I said, if the US loses I won't lose sleep over it, it is all fun.

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Don't forget Canada beat powerhaus Germany!

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Don't forget Canada beat powerhaus Germany!

Yeah, let's not fool ourselves, Canada is by far the best team in the tournament, but I loved the last game and I want to see a rematch. I hope they both win, if you don't want the Canadians, you are crazy.

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I want Canada to get a chance at redemption too.

Ground Chuck
02-26-2010, 09:41 PM
You guys should worry about Finland.

Hahahahahahaha

SaviorEdwards
02-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Wow we should create a thread 'Luongo Sucks!!!!' If he plays like that on Sunday we get 6 goals!!!!!

Crisis
02-26-2010, 10:50 PM
pavol demitra just sent canada into the gold medal game

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-27-2010, 12:12 PM
I guess now the term be careful what you wish for comes into play.