X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • homeslice5484
    • Jul 2008

Bills QB Option

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills_and_nfl/bills-qb-option-may-come-from-within

Bills QB option may come from within

Report from NFL Combine

Updated: Thursday, 25 Feb 2010, 9:21 PM EST
    Published : Thursday, 25 Feb 2010, 4:07 PM ESTNFL Scouting Combine - The Bills new brain trust, coaches and scouts, have assembled in Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine. And after another season of offensive frustration you'd think they'd be interested in the premium QBs available in the draft this year.
    But Bills GM Buddy Nix says the team's preferred option at QB, is one of last year's passers. News 4 Sports spoke to Nix one-on-one at the combine.
    "Our priority is to make one (a quarterback) out of the three we've got," Nix told us. "If that's impossible, then we'll look in another direction."
    We asked Nix point blank--"That's you're preferred route? To take one of the three (Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Brian Brohm) and have him be the guy?"
    "We'd like to, yes," Nix responded. "They're ours"
    New Bills Head Coach Chan Gailey says he's watched extensive video of both Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick, since he took over the job five weeks ago. He only has limited video of Brian Brohm to look at, since Brohm only played in one game. But as for Edwards and Fitzpatrick, Gailey says there's talent on tape.
    "It's obvious they're talented," Gailey says. " They wouldn't be in the league if they weren't talented. They played very well in the past, if not this year, than in previous years. It's just a matter of getting consistency in quarterback play."
    Nix statements may indicate that the Bills don't think much of the quarterback talent on display here at the combine, especially with Buffalo holding the ninth overall pick in the draft. The team's decison makers may feel they have so many other needs to address, at Offensive Tackle, Defensive Line, and Linebacker, that they can't afford to spend a premium pick on a questionable rookie quarterback.

• Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills QB Option

Please be Brohm...

Comment

• homeslice5484
      • Jul 2008

I hope its Brohm, I saw enough of Edwards, he is not a leader.

Brohm is unkown, big arm, and not corrupted by Jauron

Comment

• DrGraves
        • Mar 2008

And with this news the Bills officially have no chance of winning more than 4 games next year!

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

That being said Gailey said we are going to add another QB via FA or the draft.

Comment

• BillsMan80
            Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
            • Jul 2002

At this point in the process, I wouldn't believe a word of this...the draft is about 2 months away. As the draft gets closer, the smokescreens get used more often. Don't forget there's a team like Seattle who people see taking a QB at 6. Make em feel like we don't want a QB, they figure they can wait till 14, and then we steal the QB from em at 9.
            The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
            THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

• homeslice5484
              • Jul 2008

yes, but I guess Nix said that its likely going to be one of these guys, and I assume the 4th guy is going to be a no name to have another arm and to see what he has.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

I don't want Edwards anywhere close to the Bills starting QB job. I honestly would be much happier if he was traded. I don't really want Fitzpatrick as a starter either. Backup is fine. But Brohm is the one that has a lot of potential and hasn't been poisoned by all the crappy coaching staffs. He was also brought in by Buddy Nix most likely.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
                  • Jan 2010

I can imagine Brohm being our guy this season. Nix brought him in for a reason.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                    Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                    • Jul 2002

The other thing Gailey says in that interview is that he promises that we're "going to camp with 4 quarterbacks" and "we're going to at least add one more quarterback."

So who knows at this point.

The other interesting thing Nix said was that Kyle Williams is our NT "right now", but Nix said he'd obviously have to be used differently because he's not a 340 lb. two-gap guy.
                    Last edited by Dicknoze69; 02-25-2010, 11:16 PM.

God give me style and give me grace
                    God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• homeslice5484
                      • Jul 2008

I am pulling for Brohm

Comment

• Romes
                        • Jul 2002

I'm fine with this. We aren't winning the Super Bowl this year. Lets draft the lines and turn over the personel to the 3-4 this year, as much as we can. So which ever QB we draft next year will come to a team with some sort of foundation. And lets be honest we will probably be drafting 10 or higher next year as well so we'll have a shot at a top rookie QB.
                        Originally posted by paladin warrior
                        RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• BillsWin
                          man amongst boys
                          • Oct 2008

I think it sounds like Edwards will get another crack at it unless Brohm or maybe a rookie can win the job.

He said, they've played well, maybe not this season but in the past.

Edwards had a few good games in the past and I think that is what he was alluding to.

I don't mind Edwards as a stop gap. I really wish we would draft a QB in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round to sit behind him or compete in training camp...
                          I am The Batman.

Comment

• JCBills
                            • Jan 2010

Edwards is better than Fitz, but has no confidence and can't stay healthy. It sucks because he's deadly accurate and can make very quick reads, but he's lost his willingness to stand in the pocket to take a hit while making the throw. That's how he made a lot of plays early on, and he just doesn't do it now. He might look good in camp, but when a game situation comes and he's getting pressured it will come out.

That's why I'm hoping Brohm comes into camp hot. I also think moving Wood to C would add a comfort level that could help Brohm succeed. If we can add a decent slot WR in the mid rounds he could have a decent set of weapons, now it's just hoping Meredith or a rookie can show up to play.

Comment

• Oaf
                              Do you read what you write?
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by DrGraves
                              And with this news the Bills officially have no chance of winning more than 4 games next year!
                              Like the Bills had a better chance of winning +4 in 2010 with a rook?

Comment

Working...
                              X