PDA

View Full Version : Bills QB Option

homeslice5484
02-25-2010, 10:32 PM
http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills_and_nfl/bills-qb-option-may-come-from-within (http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills_and_nfl/bills-qb-option-may-come-from-within)

Bills QB option may come from within

Report from NFL Combine

Updated: Thursday, 25 Feb 2010, 9:21 PM EST
Published : Thursday, 25 Feb 2010, 4:07 PM EST

John Murphy (http://www.wivb.com/dpp/about_us/personalities/John_Murphy_Biography)NFL Scouting Combine - The Bills new brain trust, coaches and scouts, have assembled in Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine. And after another season of offensive frustration you'd think they'd be interested in the premium QBs available in the draft this year.
But Bills GM Buddy Nix says the team's preferred option at QB, is one of last year's passers. News 4 Sports spoke to Nix one-on-one at the combine.
"Our priority is to make one (a quarterback) out of the three we've got," Nix told us. "If that's impossible, then we'll look in another direction."
We asked Nix point blank--"That's you're preferred route? To take one of the three (Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Brian Brohm) and have him be the guy?"
"We'd like to, yes," Nix responded. "They're ours"
New Bills Head Coach Chan Gailey says he's watched extensive video of both Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick, since he took over the job five weeks ago. He only has limited video of Brian Brohm to look at, since Brohm only played in one game. But as for Edwards and Fitzpatrick, Gailey says there's talent on tape.
"It's obvious they're talented," Gailey says. " They wouldn't be in the league if they weren't talented. They played very well in the past, if not this year, than in previous years. It's just a matter of getting consistency in quarterback play."
Nix statements may indicate that the Bills don't think much of the quarterback talent on display here at the combine, especially with Buffalo holding the ninth overall pick in the draft. The team's decison makers may feel they have so many other needs to address, at Offensive Tackle, Defensive Line, and Linebacker, that they can't afford to spend a premium pick on a questionable rookie quarterback.

Michael82
02-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Please be Brohm... :pray:

homeslice5484
02-25-2010, 10:44 PM
I hope its Brohm, I saw enough of Edwards, he is not a leader.

Brohm is unkown, big arm, and not corrupted by Jauron

DrGraves
02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
And with this news the Bills officially have no chance of winning more than 4 games next year!

The Spaz
02-25-2010, 10:52 PM
That being said Gailey said we are going to add another QB via FA or the draft.

BillsMan80
02-25-2010, 10:55 PM
At this point in the process, I wouldn't believe a word of this...the draft is about 2 months away. As the draft gets closer, the smokescreens get used more often. Don't forget there's a team like Seattle who people see taking a QB at 6. Make em feel like we don't want a QB, they figure they can wait till 14, and then we steal the QB from em at 9.

homeslice5484
02-25-2010, 10:56 PM
yes, but I guess Nix said that its likely going to be one of these guys, and I assume the 4th guy is going to be a no name to have another arm and to see what he has.

Michael82
02-25-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't want Edwards anywhere close to the Bills starting QB job. I honestly would be much happier if he was traded. I don't really want Fitzpatrick as a starter either. Backup is fine. But Brohm is the one that has a lot of potential and hasn't been poisoned by all the crappy coaching staffs. He was also brought in by Buddy Nix most likely.

ZAZusmc03
02-25-2010, 11:00 PM
I can imagine Brohm being our guy this season. Nix brought him in for a reason.

Dicknoze69
02-25-2010, 11:09 PM
The other thing Gailey says in that interview is that he promises that we're "going to camp with 4 quarterbacks" and "we're going to at least add one more quarterback."

So who knows at this point.

The other interesting thing Nix said was that Kyle Williams is our NT "right now", but Nix said he'd obviously have to be used differently because he's not a 340 lb. two-gap guy.

homeslice5484
02-25-2010, 11:18 PM
I am pulling for Brohm

Romes
02-25-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm fine with this. We aren't winning the Super Bowl this year. Lets draft the lines and turn over the personel to the 3-4 this year, as much as we can. So which ever QB we draft next year will come to a team with some sort of foundation. And lets be honest we will probably be drafting 10 or higher next year as well so we'll have a shot at a top rookie QB.

BillsWin
02-26-2010, 12:05 AM
I think it sounds like Edwards will get another crack at it unless Brohm or maybe a rookie can win the job.

He said, they've played well, maybe not this season but in the past.

Edwards had a few good games in the past and I think that is what he was alluding to.

I don't mind Edwards as a stop gap. I really wish we would draft a QB in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round to sit behind him or compete in training camp...

JCBills
02-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Edwards is better than Fitz, but has no confidence and can't stay healthy. It sucks because he's deadly accurate and can make very quick reads, but he's lost his willingness to stand in the pocket to take a hit while making the throw. That's how he made a lot of plays early on, and he just doesn't do it now. He might look good in camp, but when a game situation comes and he's getting pressured it will come out.

That's why I'm hoping Brohm comes into camp hot. I also think moving Wood to C would add a comfort level that could help Brohm succeed. If we can add a decent slot WR in the mid rounds he could have a decent set of weapons, now it's just hoping Meredith or a rookie can show up to play.

Oaf
02-26-2010, 12:28 AM
And with this news the Bills officially have no chance of winning more than 4 games next year!
Like the Bills had a better chance of winning +4 in 2010 with a rook?

SABURZFAN
02-26-2010, 02:50 AM
At this point in the process, I wouldn't believe a word of this...the draft is about 2 months away. As the draft gets closer, the smokescreens get used more often. Don't forget there's a team like Seattle who people see taking a QB at 6. Make em feel like we don't want a QB, they figure they can wait till 14, and then we steal the QB from em at 9.

meanwhile, the QB they stole will be getting clobbered because Bell and Meredith are getting schooled at the same time. no thanks to a QB at 9.

BuffaloBillsHeart
02-26-2010, 03:49 AM
This is complete BS imo. Buddy and Chan knows they don't have three or four years to rebuild this team; the fans are extremely impatient and want results very, very soon. That's why I think we'll get a guy like Chad Pennington in here on a two-year deal and then draft a QB next year, when we then would've addressed the O-line (Bryan Bulaga), NT (Terrence Mount Cody) and LB-depth (Larry Foote, Matt Wilhelm). That QB would either be Jake Locker, Terrelle Pryor or Ryan Mallett - all much better talent than what we have in this year's draft.

Night Train
02-26-2010, 05:16 AM

Yes... it's not speculation or pokerface this time of year...it's factual news.

:rolleyes:

YardRat
02-26-2010, 05:18 AM

I was going to thank this post, but then it ended with taking a QB at #9.

X-Era
02-26-2010, 06:23 AM
http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills_and_nfl/bills-qb-option-may-come-from-within (http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills_and_nfl/bills-qb-option-may-come-from-within)

Report from NFL Combine

John Murphy (http://www.wivb.com/dpp/about_us/personalities/John_Murphy_Biography)NFL Scouting Combine - The Bills new brain trust, coaches and scouts, have assembled in Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine. And after another season of offensive frustration you'd think they'd be interested in the premium QBs available in the draft this year.
But Bills GM Buddy Nix says the team's preferred option at QB, is one of last year's passers. News 4 Sports spoke to Nix one-on-one at the combine.
"Our priority is to make one (a quarterback) out of the three we've got," Nix told us. "If that's impossible, then we'll look in another direction."
We asked Nix point blank--"That's you're preferred route? To take one of the three (Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Brian Brohm) and have him be the guy?"
New Bills Head Coach Chan Gailey says he's watched extensive video of both Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick, since he took over the job five weeks ago. He only has limited video of Brian Brohm to look at, since Brohm only played in one game. But as for Edwards and Fitzpatrick, Gailey says there's talent on tape.
"It's obvious they're talented," Gailey says. " They wouldn't be in the league if they weren't talented. They played very well in the past, if not this year, than in previous years. It's just a matter of getting consistency in quarterback play."
Nix statements may indicate that the Bills don't think much of the quarterback talent on display here at the combine, especially with Buffalo holding the ninth overall pick in the draft. The team's decison makers may feel they have so many other needs to address, at Offensive Tackle, Defensive Line, and Linebacker, that they can't afford to spend a premium pick on a questionable rookie quarterback.
:puke:

Sweet. Chan's going to get 3 years to prove himself.

Year 1- no new QB and of course mediocrity at the position
Year 2- we finally draft a guy who does little in his first year
Year 3- Our new guy starts to play but only plays mediocre

Gailey gets fired.

We hire a new HC. Who then re-evaluates the entire team and without proof that our young QB is any good, will want his guy... The history repeats itself.

This team cant get better because it wont do whatever it takes to get better. Well, we better makes some serious improvements in other areas.

X-Era
02-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Some teams in the league are:

http://www.usageorge.com/Wallpapers/Automobile/wallpaper/Ford-F-650.jpg

We are now:

http://www.1866cars.com/productimages/202/hyundaiaccent.jpg

Last year we were:

http://www.auto-renter.com.ua/foto/big/kia.rio.jpg

Were going to be different but pretty much the same.

don137
02-26-2010, 06:55 AM
My interpretation of what Nix said is that they will not be trading for a QB. It does not mean they will not draft a QB but if they draft a QB he will not their guy this year. He will sit on the bench and they will go with a guy currently on their roster.

jimbohastle51
02-26-2010, 07:20 AM
LOL!!! qb from within.... this team is going to finish with a couple wins next year and i can already see gailey and nix telling WNY that it has to be patient. i cant wait because it will be the same BS we have been hearing for years from EVERY coach that has come through, "these things take time"... i can see it now. this team has no chance to win 9 games with fitzpatrick or edwards. fitzpatrick was in cincy when they had a top 10 D and housh, an ochocinco with ced benson and couldnt win, and he couldnt get it done with TO and lee evans, edwards is a tap on the shoulder from being brain dead or a career ending injury to say the least. this is just sad, from the GM hire, to the coach hire, to the coaching staff they hired, all the way to how they are handling personel moves. i hate to say this but we deserve to be laughed at and picked on by the rest of the league. i mean seriously!?! even our new assistant GM/pro personel guy whaley, he was brought in from a team where he didnt even really sign free agents or have to work with cap numbers. the steelers biggest aquasition since he has been there was mewelde moore. and yeah i know some of you are going to point out the street free agents like james harrison and willie parker, but john guy found george wilson, jim leonard, fred jackson, and jason peters and we ran him out of town. at least when ralph is gone we might have a real owner that doesnt just say he wants to win to sell tickets and actually invests in the team. and honestly if we did loose the team when ralph goes, ask yourself this question.... would you rather have football in WNY even if you know that they probably wont see the playoffs every year or at best a wildcard game and out once every 11 years or so or would you rather see the team go to another city but they actually have an owner that spends money on the team and invests back into it and actually hires capable people to work for him? any football isnt good football people. this offseason has been completely embarrassing.

TigerJ
02-26-2010, 07:32 AM
I have no problem with one of the current three ending up as starting QB, even if it is not Brohm. I don't think that Fitzpatrick really has any upside. With him, what you see is what you get. It may be that the damage done to Edwards during the Jauron era can be fixed. The problem I would have would be in Buffalo putting all their eggs in one basket. Ultimately, I don't think any coaching staff can be certain about what they've got, or in Edwards' case that they can fix him until they put him into live game action. Even preseason games are not going to be the final indicator. That means Buffalo has to go into the season with some kind of plan B. Failure to do so is just too big a risk.

Patti120
02-26-2010, 07:52 AM
:puke:

Sweet. Chan's going to get 3 years to prove himself.

Year 1- no new QB and of course mediocrity at the position
Year 2- we finally draft a guy who does little in his first year
Year 3- Our new guy starts to play but only plays mediocre

Gailey gets fired.

We hire a new HC. Who then re-evaluates the entire team and without proof that our young QB is any good, will want his guy... The history repeats itself.

This team cant get better because it wont do whatever it takes to get better. Well, we better makes some serious improvements in other areas.

Comforting isn't it!

The one thing that still totally annoys me about Edwards (other than the injuries) is the response he gave when asked if he was a fan of the Buffalo Bills. I mean really, how hard is it to say yes I'm a fan of the team I play on and that pays me. wth.

ChanGailey
02-26-2010, 07:52 AM

Uh, hello? We won't have a shot at Bradford or Claussen, so you think Lefevour is going to come in and turn us around?

LOFL.

ChristopherWalken
02-26-2010, 08:06 AM
There isn't a team out there showing their draft hand right now. These guys are old school and therefore using the media to invoke speculation and change draft boards. Still doesn't mean the Bills take a QB at 9.

T-Long
02-26-2010, 08:10 AM
I say they should draft LeFevour, Brown, or Pike and let them compete. I truly think Edwards gets the job, with Fitz as backup, and a draft pick as the #3. I think Brohm gets released.

I don't agree with the move, but I think that's how it plays out. I think Gailey is going to want to keep Fitzpatrick as he has proven to be a capable backup and able to come in and win games. Why would he cut him? I think the true competition will be between Brohm and Edwards, and Edwards will win back the job. Any of those rookie QB's wouldn't come in and play their first year anyways.

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 08:25 AM
T-Long, I guess we can only hope Brohm learns a lot this offseason and can steal it from Trent...if he can't beat out noodle arm then he doesn't deserve it.

I am however rooting for Brohm

JCBills
02-26-2010, 08:30 AM
I say they should draft LeFevour, Brown, or Pike and let them compete. I truly think Edwards gets the job, with Fitz as backup, and a draft pick as the #3. I think Brohm gets released.

I don't agree with the move, but I think that's how it plays out. I think Gailey is going to want to keep Fitzpatrick as he has proven to be a capable backup and able to come in and win games. Why would he cut him? I think the true competition will be between Brohm and Edwards, and Edwards will win back the job. Any of those rookie QB's wouldn't come in and play their first year anyways.

If Edwards wins the job he'll just get exposed again as soon as games start, his body language even when throwing before games screams "I have no confidence". He'll make some nice throws in camp, but when the pressure's on....I don't see it going well.

I doubt Brohm gets cut, I think in a fair shot situation he can win the job.

X-Era
02-26-2010, 08:33 AM
If Edwards wins the job he'll just get exposed again as soon as games start, his body language even when throwing before games screams "I have no confidence". He'll make some nice throws in camp, but when the pressure's on....I don't see it going well.

I doubt Brohm gets cut, I think in a fair shot situation he can win the job.

I hope Fitz is the guy the cut.

Zero upside and he stinks? No thanks.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 08:34 AM
I hope Fitz is the guy the cut.

Zero upside and he stinks? No thanks.

Haha yeah basically, you know what you get in Fitz. He'll never be a consistent 60% guy.

I was pulling for Edwards for years, but I can't take that emotional pounding anymore.

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 08:40 AM
I just find it odd that they got Brohm when they did if they didn't have a plan for him to give him a legitimate shot?

JCBills
02-26-2010, 08:54 AM
I just find it odd that they got Brohm when they did if they didn't have a plan for him to give him a legitimate shot?

Yeah they would have just kept Hamdan I think.

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 08:55 AM
T-Long, do you have any info in terms of who wanted Brohm and why they got him when they did? I just find the timing odd.

Commissioner
02-26-2010, 09:02 AM
I can imagine Brohm being our guy this season. Nix brought him in for a reason.

Nix didn't bring in Brohm... he wasn't GM at that point.

John Guy brought in Brohm.

The Bills can't afford to use their 1st or 2nd pick on a QB this year... they have way too many other needs like OT, DT, DE, LBers, etc.

2010 will be Edwards make or break year under new coaches.

I for one am still curious to see what Edwards can do behind a better offensive line and better coaching.

Commissioner
02-26-2010, 09:05 AM

Everything that coaching staff and management did was odd.

Remember they signed 2 lbers during the season, and then proceeded to start Bryan Scott at LBer. Why would they bring in LBers who were not good enough to start over a Safety?

Why would they draft Maybin, and undersized DE who only played 10 college games at 230lbs.... and then hardly play him the entire season?

I really doubt they had a master plan for a QB that was sitting on a different teams practice squad.

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 09:14 AM

I'm sure Green Bay was thinking the same thing when they burned a second round draft pick on the guy.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Nix didn't bring in Brohm... he wasn't GM at that point.

John Guy brought in Brohm.

The Bills can't afford to use their 1st or 2nd pick on a QB this year... they have way too many other needs like OT, DT, DE, LBers, etc.

I for one am still curious to see what Edwards can do behind a better offensive line and better coaching.

Edwards had a year behind an OL that surrendered a franchise-low in sacks. That argument doesn't help much.

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 09:19 AM
I thought it woulda been modrak who got Brohm, simply because the guy really only had college stats to go by when we signed him, having not played in an NFL game. I know guy was incharge of FA signings, but maybe it was Modrak who knew him from the draft and saw an opportunity after we had moved on from Trent.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm sure Green Bay was thinking the same thing when they burned a second round draft pick on the guy.

GB actually tried to retain Brohm, but he CHOSE to sign with us.

“Anybody that plays in this league wants to be on the field and I’m no different,” said Brohm. “For now I’m just working hard to get better. I’ll be ready if called upon.”
Brohm chose to sign with the Bills despite the fact that the Packers were willing to match Buffalo’s offer to keep him in Green Bay. But it wasn’t because of any assurance of time on the field.
“They didn’t promise me anything,” said Brohm. “They just wanted to bring me in, see what I had and told me the situation. I really had no expectations other than to come in here and work hard and get better and that I’ll be part of things moving forward to next season.”

A lot of people might like this as well -

BFR: What was your first impression of a Buffalo winter?
Brian Brohm: Coming right from Green Bay, there’s a lot of snow. It was more snow than what I was used to in Green Bay but it wasn’t as cold. So for me, I loved it. I love playing in cold weather so it’s right up my alley. I’m definitely happy to be in a cold-weather spot.

BFR: Is that unusual for a quarterback? Brett Favre (http://louisville.scout.com/a.z?s=17&p=8&c=1&nid=4508713) has that great record in the cold but admitted he even hates the cold.
Brohm: I actually prefer the cold to the hot. Any time it gets too hot, I don’t like that. So when it’s cold, I feel like I can play pretty well in that weather. If I can play well, I know some other guys don’t like it so I think that gives me a mental advantage.

Yasgur's Farm
02-26-2010, 09:20 AM
I can't... I just can't accept Edwards as the starter... Even if they fix that emotional wreck (highly unlikely), he has absolutely zero leadership skills.

If they're not gonna go with a stop-gap vet, I can be on board with Brohm, Edwards, 3rd rounder... or Brohm, 1st rounder, Edwards. But for the love of God... Don't start Edwards!!

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
GB actually tried to retain Brohm, but he CHOSE to sign with us.

What? You mean after Green Bay cut him because he wasn't as good as Matt Flynn, then signed him to the practice squad, they attempted to keep him? And Brohm decided to leave the team where he wasn't good enough to take the back-up role from a seventh-rounder, and sign instead with a team who has no clear-cut starter?

My apologies, that is shocking. And I'd imagine Green Bay is truly heartbroken. Wherever will they find a #3 quarterback?

justasportsfan
02-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Camp will be Trents make or break audition. That goes for every qb on this team.

justasportsfan
02-26-2010, 09:37 AM
I doubt the bills FO themselves know what they are going to do.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
What? You mean after Green Bay cut him because he wasn't as good as Matt Flynn, then signed him to the practice squad, they attempted to keep him? And Brohm decided to leave the team where he wasn't good enough to take the back-up role from a seventh-rounder, and sign instead with a team who has no clear-cut starter?

My apologies, that is shocking. And I'd imagine Green Bay is truly heartbroken. Wherever will they find a #3 quarterback?

When you have a franchise QB in Aaron Rodgers, do you pay 2nd round money for a #2, or do you pay 7th round money for a #2?

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
When you have a franchise QB in Aaron Rodgers, do you pay 2nd round money for a #2, or do you pay 7th round money for a #2?

I'm sure that's what they were thinking when they picked Brohm. "If he sucks, we can just cut him. Who needs a second round pick?"

Hell, if you're that convinced that Aaron Rodgers will never be hurt, why draft a quarterback at all?

That just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The reason Brohm was cut is because he's not as talented or reliable as their backup.

Ickybaluky
02-26-2010, 10:44 AM

This has to be one of the dumbest arguments I have heard on this board.

When Brohm was signed, they paid him a signing bonus, and his salaries were the minimum. When they cut him, the signing bonus was a sunk cost, they don't get a refund. He cost no more or less than Matt Flynn did at that point, which is the minimum salary he would have earned. Flynn was better, which is why he was kept. In fact, given that they had a lot more invested in Brohm, they must have liked Flynn a lot more to basically toss that investment in the trash.

When he was cut, in his second season, any team in the NFL could have claimed him off waivers and inherited his contract. That contract was for minimum salaries and no signing bonus, since Green Bay absorbed that on the cap. Nobody picked him up.

k-oneputt
02-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Enough with that NE39. Go find us another qb since it looks like Campbell {thankfully} isn't happening.

Ickybaluky
02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Enough with that NE39. Go find us another qb since it looks like Campbell {thankfully} isn't happening.

If you are counting on Brohm, that isn't a plan at all. I doubt the Bills are doing that. Brohm is a longshot that will probably never be nothing. You give him a shot just in case, but you need a different plan instead. Edwards is a much better bet than Brohm.

psubills62
02-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Maybe it's just me, but these seem to be the standard comments regarding this situation.

Every team would like the solution to be a current part of the organization. That means 1) they probably have them under contract, or can easily get them under contract, 2) they don't have to trade or use any draft picks to get a QB.

The thing is, Edwards and Brohm are still relatively young. Brohm especially still has a chance to develop. I'm sure they aren't done analyzing these guys yet.

Personally I don't think these comments mean they won't try to get a QB. They'd just prefer that the QB of the present or the future comes from the current personnel.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 10:53 AM
This has to be one of the dumbest arguments I have heard on this board.

When Brohm was signed, they paid him a signing bonus, and his salaries were the minimum. When they cut him, the signing bonus was a sunk cost, they don't get a refund. He cost no more or less than Matt Flynn did at that point, which is the minimum salary he would have earned. Flynn was better, which is why he was kept. In fact, given that they had a lot more invested in Brohm, they must have liked Flynn a lot more to basically toss that investment in the trash.

When he was cut, in his second season, any team in the NFL could have claimed him off waivers and inherited his contract. That contract was for minimum salaries and no signing bonus, since Green Bay absorbed that on the cap. Nobody picked him up.

There was some speculation at the time that GB drafted Brohm just to motivate Rodgers.

It was a question, not an argument, clawing at each other seems to be the way of these boards at times.

k-oneputt
02-26-2010, 10:55 AM
If you are counting on Brohm, that isn't a plan at all. I doubt the Bills are doing that. Brohm is a longshot that will probably never be nothing. You give him a shot just in case, but you need a different plan instead. Edwards is a much better bet than Brohm.

I actually think it will be Edwards again. I also think they are taking a qb to develop in the first 3 rds.

Ickybaluky
02-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I actually think it will be Edwards again. I also think they are taking a qb to develop in the first 3 rds.

Wouldn't surprise me if they took a QB early if there is one they like. It is the most important position, and usually a new coach wants his own QB to develop.

The question is, does Nix/Gailey see a QB they like enough to take high in the draft?

JCBills
02-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if they took a QB early if there is one they like. It is the most important position, and usually a new coach wants his own QB to develop.

The question is, does Nix/Gailey see a QB they like enough to take high in the draft?

Well there was the "enamored" thread but that was probably just BS.

Ickybaluky
02-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Well there was the "enamored" thread but that was probably just BS.

This time of year, when I hear a team is "enamored" with a guy, I think it is more likely they are trying to get someone else to pick him so their guy drops.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
This time of year, when I hear a team is "enamored" with a guy, I think it is more likely they are trying to get someone else to pick him so their guy drops.

Yeah it's all trickery until draft day :D

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
The odds are good that Edwards will start again next year.

I've lost faith in the guy but unless we do something splashy in free agency or the draft, he's gonna be the best option on the roster.

better days
02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm sure that's what they were thinking when they picked Brohm. "If he sucks, we can just cut him. Who needs a second round pick?"

Hell, if you're that convinced that Aaron Rodgers will never be hurt, why draft a quarterback at all?

That just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The reason Brohm was cut is because he's not as talented or reliable as their backup.

When the Packers drafted Brohm, they did not know if Rodgers would develop into anything or not. The fact that Brohm was not ready to be the #2 in Greenbay last year does not mean he can't be a #1 down the road.

Anyone that thinks Edwards is better than Brohm, Edwards a) Looked good at times against bad teams. He has never played well against a team with a good defense. b) That was before the rest of the league had film on him.

Ickybaluky
02-26-2010, 11:46 AM
When the Packers drafted Brohm, they did not know if Rodgers would develop into anything or not. The fact that Brohm was not ready to be the #2 in Greenbay last year does not mean he can't be a #1 down the road.

Anyone that thinks Edwards is better than Brohm, Edwards a) Looked good at times against bad teams. He has never played well against a team with a good defense. b) That was before the rest of the league had film on him.

The fact is early in his career Edwards produced. After that, the train came off the tracks and his confidence went in the toilet. Can he be resurrected? He has the ability and has shown it in the past. He started off 2008 looking like he was going to be the next young QB to take the stage.

As for Brohm, Green Bay invested a high pick and signing bonus money into the guy, and a year later put him on waivers. How often does a 2nd round pick get cut after only a year? Most teams are more patient with a guy like that. However, as a rookie, they made him the 3rd string QB, then cut him the next year, meaning they didn't think him worthy of a roster spot.

Does that mean he can't pan out? Of course not, you never know. However, it is a big indictment on his ability, and nobody should be counting on him to do anything. If he works out, great, but the odds are long that will happen.

In Green Bay, the reasons for his being cut were he having trouble adjusting to the speed of the pro game. The criticism of him was he showed no ability to make quick decisions and checked down too quickly, not giving plays time to develop. The college game was slower, and he didn't show any ability to adjust to the speed in the NFL.

Might Brohm eventually make that adjustment? Sure. But... you shouldn't be counting on it.

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 11:49 AM
When the Packers drafted Brohm, they did not know if Rodgers would develop into anything or not. The fact that Brohm was not ready to be the #2 in Greenbay last year does not mean he can't be a #1 down the road..

They didn't know about Rodgers or Brohm, but they sure figured out about both of them in a hurry, didn't they? I mean, since Rodgers was good right off the bat and Brohm was cut in favor of Matt Flynn.

Now, this certainly doesn't mean that he cannot possibly develop into a #1, but it certainly doesn't say much about his ability, does it?

I think Edwards is better than Brohm because, thus far, he has proven to be better than Brohm.

Clear case of "who is the tallest dwarf?" I think so, but the options are kinda thin at this point.

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 11:50 AM
The fact is early in his career Edwards produced. After that, the train came off the tracks and his confidence went in the toilet. Can he be resurrected? He has the ability and has shown it in the past. He started off 2008 looking like he was going to be the next young QB to take the stage.

As for Brohm, Green Bay invested a high pick and signing bonus money into the guy, and a year later put him on waivers. How often does a 2nd round pick get cut after only a year? Most teams are more patient with a guy like that. However, as a rookie, they made him the 3rd string QB, then cut him the next year, meaning they didn't think him worthy of a roster spot.

Does that mean he can't pan out? Of course not, you never know. However, it is a big indictment on his ability, and nobody should be counting on him to do anything. If he works out, great, but the odds are long that will happen.

In Green Bay, the reasons for his being cut were he having trouble adjusting to the speed of the pro game. The criticism of him was he showed no ability to make quick decisions and checked down too quickly, not giving plays time to develop. The college game was slower, and he didn't show any ability to adjust to the speed in the NFL.

Might Brohm eventually make that adjustment? Sure. But... you shouldn't be counting on it.

It annoys me endlessly that you're a Patriots fan.

Ickybaluky
02-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Read this from when Brohm was cut:

LINK (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/57576357.html)

"Brohm never developed," a personnel director for another NFL team said Saturday night. "I don't think he's got a strong arm. He doesn't read coverages real fast. He's a guy who needs Europe or something."

"It's not even close between Brohm and (Matt) Flynn," another scout said. "Somebody will pick him up, but he doesn't have any play-making ability. He doesn't make plays. I don't think he can improvise."

better days
02-26-2010, 12:01 PM

The fact is Edwards produced early in his career against BAD teams. JP played against ALL the good teams that year.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 12:16 PM
They didn't know about Rodgers or Brohm, but they sure figured out about both of them in a hurry, didn't they? I mean, since Rodgers was good right off the bat and Brohm was cut in favor of Matt Flynn.

Now, this certainly doesn't mean that he cannot possibly develop into a #1, but it certainly doesn't say much about his ability, does it?

I think Edwards is better than Brohm because, thus far, he has proven to be better than Brohm.

Clear case of "who is the tallest dwarf?" I think so, but the options are kinda thin at this point.

Rodgers wasn't good right off the bat, he sat behind Favre for a few years.

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Rodgers wasn't good right off the bat, he sat behind Favre for a few years.

We were talking about when Brohm was drafted, which was Aaron's first year starting.

better days
02-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Well it sounds like Chan will let the 3 have at it & may the best man win. I will be surprised if the best man is Trent.

better days
02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
We were talking about when Brohm was drafted, which was Aaron's first year starting.

He hadn't started yet when Brohm was drafted.

justasportsfan
02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
we have nothing but project qb's. I don't think Trent has an advantage over anyone under Gailey. They will all have to audition for him from scratch.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 12:51 PM

Which is why I'm saying that isn't right off the bat, he had a while to develop and learn from arguably the greatest QB of all time.

That's why I brought up how there was speculation that Brohm being picked was to motivate Rodgers.

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 01:08 PM
He hadn't started yet when Brohm was drafted.

Aaron started that very year, though, didn't he? And the Packers waived Brohm right after the season.

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Which is why I'm saying that isn't right off the bat, he had a while to develop and learn from arguably the greatest QB of all time.

That's why I brought up how there was speculation that Brohm being picked was to motivate Rodgers.

I'll clarify. Immediately after becoming the starter, it was patently obvious that Rodgers was going to be good. Immediately after drafting, it was patently obvious that Brohm was not talented enough to keep on a roster.

Again, if you can afford to waste second round picks (hint: not one single team can) this "motivation" thing makes sense.

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Well it sounds like Chan will let the 3 have at it & may the best man win. I will be surprised if the best man is Trent.

That's the way every position should be run. Best player plays, period.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 01:14 PM
I'll clarify. Immediately after becoming the starter, it was patently obvious that Rodgers was going to be good. Immediately after drafting, it was patently obvious that Brohm was not talented enough to keep on a roster.

Again, if you can afford to waste second round picks (hint: not one single team can) this "motivation" thing makes sense.

They spent a 1st on Rodgers while having Favre. He sat and got groomed, he was the clear cut future in GB well before the draft. All I said is there was speculation.

k-oneputt
02-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Rodgers was developed to take over for Farve properly. He sat and learned a couple of years before he was put in to start. At that time he was ready. Rivers too.
Donahoe f-ed up Losman. He should have kept Bledsoe one more year and then turned it over.
You can't cay enough about good management and coaching. The bills biggest problem the last ten years.

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 01:18 PM
They spent a 1st on Rodgers while having Favre. He sat and got groomed, he was the clear cut future in GB well before the draft. All I said is there was speculation.

Certainly this is the case.

Absolutely none of this has any bearing on the ineffectiveness of Brian Brohm as a football player, though.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Certainly this is the case.

Absolutely none of this has any bearing on the ineffectiveness of Brian Brohm as a football player, though.
I think you're dismissing him just based on the fact that he was cut and placed on the PS.

Here's a few guys who had the same situation, they turned out alright I'd say:

Wes Welker
James Harrison - Cut 3 times
Jack Kemp - Cut 4 times (No PS back then I think)
Trent Green
Kurt Warner
Johnny Unitas

The list goes on.

Not saying he'll be on that list someday for sure, but don't totally dismiss him because of a slow start.

Ron Burgundy
02-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I think you're dismissing him just based on the fact that he was cut and placed on the PS.

Wes Welker
Trent Green
Kurt Warner
Johnny Unitas

Not saying he'll be on that list someday for sure, but don't totally dismiss him because of a slow start.

Yeah, they did turn out fine. That's four players from practice squads (I assume Kemp and Unitas were never on one, and besides, that's too far back to be good examples) out of, I don't know, literally thousands of players in the modern era who have gone on to become absolutely nothing.

This is compounded by the fact that teams typically do not give up so quickly on second rounders at any position, much less quarterback, yet the Packers were quick to dump him. Not install him as a #3, but waive him and put him on the unprotected practice squad. It just screams "flawed, unfixable, BAD."

It's strange to me that people have such a hard time seeing it. Particularly when the evidence is right in their face.

justasportsfan
02-26-2010, 01:34 PM
All I can say is Brohm didn't look so bad when he started compared to Trent vs. any of the Browns games.

Philagape
02-26-2010, 03:22 PM

That's a very sound basis. So much so that your statement is rather funny.

Wes Welker
Trent Green
Kurt Warner
Johnny Unitas

The list goes on.

The 99 percent of players who get cut and never do anything is more than enough reason to not give him any benefit of the doubt.

I hope Brohm is in that 1 percent, but to count on him in any way is insanity. When searching for a new QB, he should be irrelevant. Right now he's just a body in camp.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 03:32 PM
That's a very sound basis. So much so that your statement is rather funny.

The 99 percent of players who get cut and never do anything is more than enough reason to not give him any benefit of the doubt.

I hope Brohm is in that 1 percent, but to count on him in any way is insanity. When searching for a new QB, he should be irrelevant. Right now he's just a body in camp.

Again, this isn't me clinging to a prospect hopefully. I'm being optimistic, and saying that total dismissal at this point is ignorant.

Philagape
02-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Again, this isn't me clinging to a prospect hopefully. I'm being optimistic, and saying that total dismissal at this point is ignorant.

How about 99 percent dismissal?

And your optimism doesn't make anything ignorant. It's irrelevant.

JCBills
02-26-2010, 03:44 PM
How about 99 percent dismissal?

And your optimism doesn't make anything ignorant. It's irrelevant.
Lol, did I say that me being optimistic makes dismissal ignorant? I have no idea how you read that one. What's irrelevant? Optimism? Where are you going with this? Rhetorical questions, let's end it with this gem of a statement.

Philagape
02-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Lol, did I say that me being optimistic makes dismissal ignorant? I have no idea how you read that one.

I dunno, maybe being in the same sentence ...? :brilliant:

better days
02-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah, they did turn out fine. That's four players from practice squads (I assume Kemp and Unitas were never on one, and besides, that's too far back to be good examples) out of, I don't know, literally thousands of players in the modern era who have gone on to become absolutely nothing.

This is compounded by the fact that teams typically do not give up so quickly on second rounders at any position, much less quarterback, yet the Packers were quick to dump him. Not install him as a #3, but waive him and put him on the unprotected practice squad. It just screams "flawed, unfixable, BAD."

It's strange to me that people have such a hard time seeing it. Particularly when the evidence is right in their face.

It isn't like they cut him & had somebody else as the #3 QB. The Packers decided to only carry 2 QB's so they could carry an extra position player. The fact is the Packers wanted to keep him & matched Buffalos offer, but he CHOSE to leave the Packers for the Bills.

SABURZFAN
02-26-2010, 11:04 PM
I can't... I just can't accept Edwards as the starter... Even if they fix that emotional wreck (highly unlikely), he has absolutely zero leadership skills.

If they're not gonna go with a stop-gap vet, I can be on board with Brohm, Edwards, 3rd rounder... or Brohm, 1st rounder, Edwards. But for the love of God... Don't start Edwards!!

you're feeling the exact thing i was feeling when they were starting Lossman. serves you right. :chug:

SABURZFAN
02-26-2010, 11:14 PM
The fact is Edwards produced early in his career against BAD teams. JP played against ALL the good teams that year.

oh boy..... :rolleyes:

Griff
02-26-2010, 11:30 PM
if Chan can fix Trent he's our best shot

ddaryl
02-27-2010, 07:58 AM
could be a smoke screen just the same. no way would they telegraph their hand one way or another

Yasgur's Farm
02-27-2010, 08:30 AM
you're feeling the exact thing i was feeling when they were starting Lossman. serves you right. :chug:And you don't feel that way about Edwards? Interesting. :patriot: > :mounty:

acehole
02-27-2010, 08:53 AM
They always say this crap...gives the guys confidence and it throws everone off. "Smokescreen" They will have a vet here...sombody proven. Only chance to keep TO here.

Report from NFL Combine

acehole
02-27-2010, 08:54 AM
if Chan can fix Trent he's our best shot

Chan would have to be able to undo a vaginaplasty.

better days
02-27-2010, 01:10 PM
you're feeling the exact thing i was feeling when they were starting Lossman. serves you right. :chug:

The difference is JP had a set & that made the games watchable. Trent on the other hand has none & his games were BORING.

Beebe's Kid
03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
They always say this crap...gives the guys confidence and it throws everone off. "Smokescreen" They will have a vet here...sombody proven. Only chance to keep TO here.

Well, looks like the intent was not to get a QB to keep TO here.