PDA

View Full Version : Keeping in classy

DrGraves
02-26-2010, 07:50 AM
file:///C:/Users/DANGRA%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.pnghttp://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100226/capt.olywh22802260340.vancouver_olympics_ice_hockey_olywh228.jpg

The International Olympic Committee will investigate the actions of Canadian women's hockey players (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100226/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_ioc_canadian_behavior;_ylt=Ag_sdgKqHsBrRm94FaTR9oxotLV_) who celebrated their gold medal victory Thursday night by swigging beer and smoking cigars on the ice in Vancouver.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/IOC-to-investigate-Canadian-women-s-hockey-team-?urn=oly,224338

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-26-2010, 07:51 AM
So, they are in Canada, isn't that every night?

The King
02-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Megan Duggan is a friend of mine and a forward on the USA team, I felt horrible for her. They played well and a silver medal is a tremendous accomplishment, but to sit through that crap... I felt for her.

OpIv37
02-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Who cares? Let them celebrate how they want.

northernbillfan
02-26-2010, 08:47 AM
So what!

They deserved to celebrate however they wanted to.

FWIW, this was after the medal ceremony and the American girls didn't have to sit through anything.

The Finnish team sure was happy to win bronze. Everyone cal take a lesson from them in class.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't see a problem with this at all. Who cares?

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2010, 09:14 AM
They are Hockey Players. They drink Canadian beer. I love it!

Michael82
02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
I think the reason why some people are upset because a couple of them are underage.

northernbillfan
02-26-2010, 09:19 AM
I think the reason why some people are upset because a couple of them are underage.Not in Canada. Many regions have 18 or 19 as the drinking age.

rbochan
02-26-2010, 09:29 AM
http://kingmagic.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/simpsons-the-to-alcohol-4900822.jpg

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2010, 09:32 AM
If the Americans did it, this wouldn't even be a story.

Cleve
02-26-2010, 09:57 AM
This is quintessentially Canadian. I see no problem with this - it's kind of cool, actually.

OpIv37
02-26-2010, 10:01 AM
I think the reason why some people are upset because a couple of them are underage.

again, who cares?

The drinking age is artificial and arbitrary anyway. If someone is 20 and 364 days, are they any more responsible when they suddenly turn 21 the next day? Like I've said before, I know people who could drink responsibly at 17 and I know people pushing 30 who shouldn't be allowed near the stuff. It's just a random number that the puritans were able to force through on a national level during the Reagan administration.

If we stop demonizing alcohol and making it the forbidden fruit (i.e., "can you believe those hockey players were drinking to celebrate winning the gold?") then just maybe kids will learn to drink responsibly and won't go ape-**** the first time they can get their hands on the stuff.

SabreEleven
02-26-2010, 10:09 AM
The IOC cares. ESPN this morning said that the region that they were in the drinking age is 21.

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2010, 10:19 AM
The IOC cares. ESPN this morning said that the region that they were in the drinking age is 21.

ESPN doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground then. The legal drinking age in BC is 19.

OpIv37
02-26-2010, 10:24 AM

And meanwhile, the rest of the world is looking at it going "what is this drinking age nonsense" as they hand their 17 year old a beer or pour their 14 year old a glass of wine with dinner.

RockStar36
02-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Who the **** cares.

They won the gold medal on Canadien soil, congrats to them.

When players win the World Series or Super Bowl, nobody says anything then.

Then again, this is the same IOC that almost made Ryan Miller cover up a tribute to his dead cousin.

BlackMetalNinja
02-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Does anybody else find that picture totally hot?

RockStar36
02-26-2010, 11:37 AM

I gotta admit.

That game last night was...um...fun to watch.

DMBcrew36
02-26-2010, 11:37 AM

[selective members of] Team Canada Bang or Bucks?

Michael82
02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
ESPN doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground then. The legal drinking age in BC is 19.

And a few of the girls were only 18. So they broke the law and did it right inside a public building with media around.

RockStar36
02-26-2010, 11:42 AM
And a few of the girls were only 18. So they broke the law and did it right inside a public building with media around.

Who cares.

You never drank when you were under 21?

DMBcrew36
02-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Who cares.

You never drank when you were under 21?

Seriously. And it's not like you get to win a Gold Medal everyday! I'd have done the same thing as these girls. Hand me a beer and a cigar! And shiet, the game was in BC - people should give them credit for not breakin out a bong and some BC buds.

chernobylwraiths
02-26-2010, 11:44 AM
So what!

They deserved to celebrate however they wanted to.

FWIW, this was after the medal ceremony and the American girls didn't have to sit through anything.

The Finnish team sure was happy to win bronze. Everyone cal take a lesson from them in class.

I agree. And to those who have said if they were American, nobody would have a problem, I think American's wouldn't and tell everybody else to pound salt , we are Americans and the greatest in the world.

Good for those girls though. Americans need another Cammy Granato.

chernobylwraiths
02-26-2010, 11:45 AM
As for the drinking thing, you CAN'T underage drink in front of the whole world and NOT be called out on it. That's just stupidity by the adults and coaches to let that happen in front of everybody. And when are kids going to learn that if you pose for pictures like this did they WILL get into the press if it isn't your camera.

RockStar36
02-26-2010, 11:46 AM
On a totally unrelated note, does anybody know who the girl in the picture is?

A member of Team Canada goes to college in Erie at the same school my fiance goes too, but I have no idea what she looks like.

chernobylwraiths
02-26-2010, 11:56 AM
On a totally unrelated note, does anybody know who the girl in the picture is?

A member of Team Canada goes to college in Erie at the same school my fiance goes too, but I have no idea what she looks like.

I'm not positive, but if you looked up the Canadian Olympic women's hockey team, you might be able to see pictures and a brief bio.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/22220/la_id/1.htm

RockStar36
02-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm not positive, but if you looked up the Canadian Olympic women's hockey team, you might be able to see pictures and a brief bio.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/22220/la_id/1.htm

Oh baby...I think that's her.

mercyrule
02-26-2010, 12:03 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-features/news/newsid=448255.html#ioc+look+into+celebrations+women+hockey+team

In a sport Canada invented, nothing less than gold would do. And when the women's hockey team had it in hand, the joy and champagne overflowed.

The players stormed back onto the ice half an hour after beating the United States 2-0 on Thursday and staged a raucous celebration _ smoking cigars and swigging beer and bubbly.

Haley Irwin poured champagne into the mouth of Tessa Bonhomme, gold medals swinging from both their necks. Meghan Agosta and Marie-Philip Poulin posed with goofy grins.

Goalies Charline Labonte and Kim St-Pierre posed at center ice for Poulin, lying on their stomachs with a giant bottle of champagne resting just above the Olympic rings.

Rebecca Johnston actually tried to commandeer the ice-resurfacing machine.

Poulin, who scored both goals for Canada, doesn't turn 19 -- legal drinking age in British Columbia -- until next month. The drinking age in Alberta, where the Canadian team trains, is 18. Photos showed Poulin on the ice with a beer in her hand.

Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director of the Olympic Games, said the antics were "not what we want to see."

"If they celebrate in the changing room, that's one thing," he said, "but not in public."

BuffaloRanger
02-26-2010, 12:06 PM
That Blonde #25 needs to be on the pole at the 'downer...very soon.

If the US did it in Canada it would have been a huge deal - not for the drinking, but for the "disrespect" of doing it on Canadain ice.

And big deal, the one 18 year old on the team , you know the one that scored both great goals, drank a few months before her 19th birthday. NEWSFLASH: She's a national hero.

The pictures aren't bad. At least not as bad as I would have liked to have seen.

I thought it was strange the US woman were crying like babies. I know they're disappointed. But men wouldn't cry, they'd be pissed. Just Sayin...

OpIv37
02-26-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=188469

mercyrule
02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Mine is better.

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2010, 12:18 PM
No, it's a waste of bandwidth.

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2010, 12:21 PM

One girl is 18. She turns 19 in a month. Gimme a break. Now you are mister High and Mighty, Mikey?

Stewie
02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
we have unlimited bandwidth. and it's still a waste of bandwidth.

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2010, 12:30 PM
:rofl: Stewie, you are the best.

justasportsfan
02-26-2010, 12:36 PM
why couldn't they have just taken their clothes off just like the US womens soccer team?

Michael82
02-26-2010, 12:46 PM
One girl is 18. She turns 19 in a month. Gimme a break. Now you are mister High and Mighty, Mikey?

No. I have no problem with them celebrating. Did I ever say I did? Nope! I just said that the underage drinking is one reason why a bunch of people are upset. I'm saying that is why it's all over the news and why the Olympics people are pissed.

OpIv37
02-26-2010, 01:09 PM
why couldn't they have just taken their clothes off just like the US womens soccer team?

because they didn't want people to see their testicles.

chernobylwraiths
02-26-2010, 01:14 PM

Because Canadian women are either hockey players or strippers, not both.

Syderick
02-26-2010, 01:16 PM
They played well

northernbillfan
02-26-2010, 01:17 PM
The IOC cares. ESPN this morning said that the region that they were in the drinking age is 21.FALSE!

SabreEleven
02-26-2010, 01:20 PM
FALSE!

Did you read this whole thread?

SabreEleven
02-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Among those drinking were Marie-Philip Poulin of Quebec City, the youngest player on Team Canada and its fourth-line centre, who scored twice in the first period. The 18-year-old Poulin turns 19 next month, but right now she would be under the legal drinking age in B.C

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/hockey/story/2010/02/26/sp-hockey-women-drinking.html?ref=rss

Michael82
02-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Among those drinking were Marie-Philip Poulin of Quebec City, the youngest player on Team Canada and its fourth-line centre, who scored twice in the first period. The 18-year-old Poulin turns 19 next month, but right now she would be under the legal drinking age in B.C

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/hockey/story/2010/02/26/sp-hockey-women-drinking.html?ref=rss

With how strict the IOC is, I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of stupid penalty.

OpIv37
02-26-2010, 01:25 PM

again- ONE player who is underage by ONE month.... seems like a whole lot of uproar over nothing. You'd think it was a team of 14 year olds doing tequila shots being poured by the coach from the reaction it's getting.

SabreEleven
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
again- ONE player who is underage by ONE month.... seems like a whole lot of uproar over nothing. You'd think it was a team of 14 year olds doing tequila shots being poured by the coach from the reaction it's getting.

Now you are talking...that is hot!!!

OpIv37
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
With how strict the IOC is, I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of stupid penalty.

what penalty? The players aren't paid so they can't issue a fine or dock salary. They can't issue a suspension because the Games are over. The only recourse they have is to take back the medals, but that is a very extreme action for such a minor offense and would lead to all kinds of negative publicity.

northernbillfan
02-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Did you read this whole thread?I already made a point about the drinking age before the post I quoted. I did not read after the quoted post, just added my 2 cents.

LtFinFan66
02-26-2010, 01:29 PM
If the Americans did it, this wouldn't even be a story.not true at all

LtFinFan66
02-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Who cares.

You never drank when you were under 21?I didn't. but then again, I don't have an issue with this celebration either

LtFinFan66
02-26-2010, 01:32 PM
That Blonde #25 needs to be on the pole at the 'downer...very soon.

If the US did it in Canada it would have been a huge deal - not for the drinking, but for the "disrespect" of doing it on Canadain ice.

And big deal, the one 18 year old on the team , you know the one that scored both great goals, drank a few months before her 19th birthday. NEWSFLASH: She's a national hero.

The pictures aren't bad. At least not as bad as I would have liked to have seen.

I thought it was strange the US woman were crying like babies. I know they're disappointed. But men wouldn't cry, they'd be pissed. Just Sayin...just saying...that's the difference between men and women

northernbillfan
02-26-2010, 01:39 PM
I thought it was strange the US woman were crying like babies. I know they're disappointed. But men wouldn't cry, they'd be pissed. Just Sayin...Of all the silver medals won/earned, the one where you lose an emotional game is tough to accept. It's easy for us to sit back and say, "They should be happy with silver." However it's the toughest medal to win. It's like losing the Super Bowl. Also a few of these girls may never play for the US again and this is the third straight loss to Canada. Of course they would be emotional.

It's the same for curling and any other sport where you play one last game for gold. Tough to swallow at the time.

northernbillfan
02-26-2010, 01:41 PM
For hockey talk, follow this thread...

SabreEleven
02-26-2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.usahockey.com/uploadedImages/USAHockey/Menu_Team_USA/Menu_Womens_National_Team/Menu_Olympics/Menu_2010_Olympics/McLaughlinMug.jpg

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_02_01_05&id=280244

BANG!!!!!! Goalie pads and all...

Valerie
02-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Ihave no problem with the team celebrating and while it's pretty stupid for an underage girl to be drinking openly like that, I don't care about that either. I think what's bothersome is that they did all this on the ice. Why not go out and celebrate where it's appropriate? Personally, I think their spectacle on the ice wasn't very classy. It’s no better than what this guy did.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
So Scotty Lago won a bronze medal for his snowboarding, and what did he do with it? Made a girl kiss the medal, placed in front of his crotch! This inappropriate use of the medal was a disgrace to it, and because of this Scotty Lago had to go home a week earlier. Where he could spend a whole week basking in the glory of success before the closing ceremony of the Olympics, he had to pack up and go home!<o:p></o:p>
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/5271576-scotty-lago-pictures-controversy-girl-kissing-the-medal (http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/5271576-scotty-lago-pictures-controversy-girl-kissing-the-medal)

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Disgrace to the medals, :rofl: He won the medal. He can do what he wants with it. I could care less if he sticks it up his ass. People are way to sensitive to things nowadays, and it's hilarious.

northernbillfan
02-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Disgrace to the medals, :rofl: He won the medal. He can do what he wants with it. I could care less if he sticks it up his ass. People are way to sensitive to things nowadays, and it's hilarious.I'm shocked he didn't melt it into a bong.

mercyrule
02-26-2010, 03:31 PM
That's your definition of hot? Okaaaay

BlackMetalNinja
02-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Oh baby...I think that's her.It most definitely is!