• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Mayock: Playing draft matchmaker

Buffalo: Tackle top priority
    Offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga from Iowa is the kind of kid that would fit perfectly in Buffalo. You're talking about a cold-weather kid that's tough. He's technique proficient. The only question I have on him is his arm length. We all remember a few years ago when the kid from Iowa, Robert Gallery, went really early to Oakland. He had 32-inch arms, struggled on the outside, had to kick him on the inside.

So Bulaga looks like he's got short arms. We haven't measured him yet. This week it will be interesting to see whether or not he's 33 inches or more. But his technique is tremendous. He's been coached very well. He's a tough kid. He's smart in both the run and pass game. So I think he's ready to start.

Anthony Davis from Rutgers, a junior, may be a little bit immature off the field, a little bit inconsistent. He's got the talent to play on the left side from Day 1. The coaching staff is going to have to grab his attention early and keep it, and if you take him that high, you're going to plug him in Day 1, and he's going to need to play at a high level. He's got a little bit of a work-ethic issue but he's supremely talented.

Trent Williams from Oklahoma is probably a little more suited for the right side. However, on tape, it sure looks like he can play on the left side. And, again, he's got a couple of off-the-field issues from a work-ethic perspective. But he's a kid that I think you could plug in.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Re: Mayock: Playing draft matchmaker

I'd be happy with Bulaga and I agree that he seems like a perfect fit for Buffalo. Personally, I think the length of arms thing gets overblown. If a guy can play, he can play.

I really don't want any player with questionable work ethic, particularly at the #9 spot.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Listening to Buluga speak yesterday I definitely wouldn't mind him on the team. He seems to be a nasty SOB.

Comment

• Midwesternbillsfan
        • Apr 2007

Since it's salient to the question about Buluga's arm length, they measured 33 1/4" at the Combine yesterday. Not ideal but that length is probably adequate. There are still some questions if his feet are as quick as teams looking for a left tackle, especially as high as 9th in the Draft, are desiring; that's why many wonder if he isn't a RT (a very good right tackle) in the NFL.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

In case anyone is interesting, the OL are bench-pressing today (# of reps of 225 lbs), and here's the numbers so far:

Bruce Campbell: 34
          Mike Iupati: 27
          Charles Brown: 21
          Selvish Capers: 19
          Vlad Ducasse: 29
          Anthony Davis: 21
          Bryan Bulaga: 26
          Russell Okung: 38
          Mitch Petrus: 45
          Jared Veldheer: 32
          Trent Williams: 23

No way Okung drops to us. There was 0.01% chance before, but now it's 0% for sure. Seriously doubt he gets by KC at the very least.
          Last edited by psubills62; 02-26-2010, 03:03 PM.
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ed
            I'd be happy with Bulaga and I agree that he seems like a perfect fit for Buffalo. Personally, I think the length of arms thing gets overblown. If a guy can play, he can play.

I really don't want any player with questionable work ethic, particularly at the #9 spot.
            It's not only short arms, he also has the smallest hand span of all the OTs. That is a concern. I don't think he is a top 10 pick.

Comment

• mayotm
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi
              It's not only short arms, he also has the smallest hand span of all the OTs. That is a concern. I don't think he is a top 10 pick.
              You don't think he is a top 10 pick because of his short arms and small hands? This is exactly what Nix claims he won't do. That is, change his grade on a player based on what he sees at the combine. He'd rather grade a guy on what he sees on tape.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                • Jun 2009

Capers 19 reps ???? That's terrible.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                  • Jun 2009

Campbell at 34 is impressive considering his long arms.

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by mayotm
                    You don't think he is a top 10 pick because of his short arms and small hands? This is exactly what Nix claims he won't do. That is, change his grade on a player based on what he sees at the combine. He'd rather grade a guy on what he sees on tape.
                    Ok, and the tape says the same things, he has great technique but he doesn't dominate opponents consistently and he can be abused at times (see Bulaga vs Brandon Graham). Don't get me wrong I like Bulaga, but I dont think he is top 10.

I think he is top 20.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Mahdi
                      Ok, and the tape says the same things, he has great technique but he doesn't dominate opponents consistently and he can be abused at times (see Bulaga vs Brandon Graham). Don't get me wrong I like Bulaga, but I dont think he is top 10.

I think he is top 20.
                      I agree. Especially for a guy who I think his best position in the NFL would be right tackle.

Comment

• BidsJr
                        • Sep 2002

One thing to keep in mind about Bulaga, is that he is a "True" Junior coming out very young. He missed half of this season due to a thyroid issue that has been resolved, and was only getting back into form at the end of the season.

He is a great hard working kid who would start for the Bills at LT day 1. Super low risk pick.
                        "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• SaviorEdwards
                          • Feb 2010

Draft the Beluga Whale in the 1st and Timmy Tebow in the 2nd.
                          "The best things to happen to Michigan Football have come from Ohio." - Chris Spielman

Comment

• bigfish2112
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by psubills62
                            In case anyone is interesting, the OL are bench-pressing today (# of reps of 225 lbs), and here's the numbers so far:

Bruce Campbell: 34
                            Mike Iupati: 27
                            Charles Brown: 21
                            Selvish Capers: 19
                            Vlad Ducasse: 29reps
                            Anthony Davis: 21
                            Bryan Bulaga: 26
                            Russell Okung: 38
                            Mitch Petrus: 45

No way Okung drops to us. There was 0.01% chance before, but now it's 0% for sure. Seriously doubt he gets by KC at the very least.
                            Okung is a beast! Bulagas numbers are not that good for having shorter arms . Anthony davis 21 reps is terrible!

Comment

• Aliceinchainsbills15
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              Buffalo: Tackle top priority
                              Offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga from Iowa is the kind of kid that would fit perfectly in Buffalo. You're talking about a cold-weather kid that's tough. He's technique proficient. The only question I have on him is his arm length. We all remember a few years ago when the kid from Iowa, Robert Gallery, went really early to Oakland. He had 32-inch arms, struggled on the outside, had to kick him on the inside.

So Bulaga looks like he's got short arms. We haven't measured him yet. This week it will be interesting to see whether or not he's 33 inches or more. But his technique is tremendous. He's been coached very well. He's a tough kid. He's smart in both the run and pass game. So I think he's ready to start.

Anthony Davis from Rutgers, a junior, may be a little bit immature off the field, a little bit inconsistent. He's got the talent to play on the left side from Day 1. The coaching staff is going to have to grab his attention early and keep it, and if you take him that high, you're going to plug him in Day 1, and he's going to need to play at a high level. He's got a little bit of a work-ethic issue but he's supremely talented.

Trent Williams from Oklahoma is probably a little more suited for the right side. However, on tape, it sure looks like he can play on the left side. And, again, he's got a couple of off-the-field issues from a work-ethic perspective. But he's a kid that I think you could plug in.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=...s&confirm=true
                              I'm going to HUGELY diagree with Maylock here. Qb is top priority right now unless we trade or sign a proven QB.
                              I'M ON A BOAT!
                              Proud Bills fan since 2002
                              F***ing s*** up since 1990

Metallica is awesome. Period.

Comment

Working...
                              X