PDA

View Full Version : Assume Edwards Starts...

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 04:43 PM
If he continues to perform the way he did last season in terms of on field play and leadership....I highly doubt Gailey and the staff will give him much time like Jauron and his staff did.

This coaching staff and front office has NO loyalty to anyone on this roster. They did not draft any of these players and they do not appear to be pushovers like Jauron was. Fewell benched Edwards for a reason.

I think Trent would be on a very short leash if he displays the same qualities he has displayed, that is if he even starts.

Night Train
02-26-2010, 04:45 PM
:puke:

Typ0
02-26-2010, 04:47 PM
He only got that treatment because of his growth process. He's going to need to get it done now if he wins the job no question. But if he wins the job and he's not ready to get it done the current regime is just as "clueless" as the last if you want to put it that way and they won't know what to do to fix it during the season either.

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 04:48 PM
The thought makes me want to throw up also...but it could happen

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
He only got that treatment because of his growth process. He's going to need to get it done now if he wins the job no question. But if he wins the job and he's not ready to get it done the current regime is just as "clueless" as the last if you want to put it that way and they won't know what to do to fix it during the season either.

Good Point..i just dont see him developing the leadership qualities you need in a QB.

Night Train
02-26-2010, 04:51 PM
The thought makes me want to throw up also...but it could happen

Edwards would be an uber hard sell to the ticket buying fanbase. I think all the current happy talk is just the Bills being polite to the guy.

I think he's toast.

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Edwards would be an uber hard sell to the ticket buying fanbase. I think all the current happy talk is just the Bills being polite to the guy.

I think he's toast.

I hope your right, can you imagine if our offense actually shows signs of improvement, defense is decent, and we have a chance to win more games and we lose them because of his inability or refusal to take risks and make plays? It just amazes me how with even a competent QB we could be better....we dont have one in Edwards.

T-Long
02-26-2010, 04:55 PM
I think Trent Edwards is the QB of the Bills in 2010. I don't see Brohm beating him out and Fitz is definitely not the answer. I think they draft a guy in Round 3 (Pike, LeFevour, etc) and have him compete with Brohm and Edwards. I think there are two scenarios:

1. Edwards
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Draft Pick

or

1. Edwards
2. Brohm
3. Draft Pick

patmoran2006
02-26-2010, 04:55 PM
In my view you never talk down your current QB until you have a new one. Of course Nix and Gailey are saying what they're saying now, in case they can't find a better option.

But don't be mistaken into thinking they're not looking for new options.

If they dump Edwards now its because he deserves it.

If they give him another year they've "shown confidence" in him from day one.

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 04:58 PM
I decided when we played the Browns on MNF I had seen enough of him, and he proved me right last year when I saw the SAME thing I saw on MNF.

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 05:03 PM
In my view you never talk down your current QB until you have a new one. Of course Nix and Gailey are saying what they're saying now, in case they can't find a better option.

But don't be mistaken into thinking they're not looking for new options.

If they dump Edwards now its because he deserves it.

If they give him another year they've "shown confidence" in him from day one.

Never thought of it that way....the though of seeing #5 start is not very exciting...He has never been the same since Cleveland on MNF

Yasgur's Farm
02-26-2010, 05:03 PM
A QB has to be a team leader... At least Brohm and Fitz showed that leadership quality. Trent's probably Marshawn's ***** in the locker room.

homeslice5484
02-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Its just that since that Cleveland game we have seen more of that game over and over again. Not only that, but I don't think his teammates believe in him either. We brought binoculars to a few games last year, we sit in the jim kelly club so we are pretty close. EVERY time they went to the sidelines Trent sat by himself on an orange cooler. When Fitz started, he was with his lineman and WR's after every drive.

Jan Reimers
02-26-2010, 05:15 PM
:puke:
Yeah, I was just having a couple of drinks and settling into a nice Friday night, and then I had to think about Edwards as our starter. Now I'm drinking harder.:puke::puke:

Typ0
02-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Good Point..i just dont see him developing the leadership qualities you need in a QB.

The leadership qualities are getting done on the field. There was a time when he was consistently moving the offense when no one else could. Those guys are only going to care about getting the ball in the endzone just like us. It's just that we are coming at it from different directions. Everyone on the team can hate his ass if he gets it done it's getting done and they will follow.

Typ0
02-26-2010, 05:17 PM

I think he's toast.

That is irrelevant. What's important is winning in the short run right now. I really don't know how you can even try and make this argument when there are so many people buying into nothing at a constant basis. That just means the leash is much shorter from the blind fans perspective but if he's chosen as the starter they will eat it up.

better days
02-26-2010, 05:20 PM

I disagree with that. Trent got that treatment because he was Dick Jauron's type of QB. Dick chose Trent over JP & installed an offense that suited Trent's strengths & not JP's. We all know Dick was adverse to pulling any player no matter how bad they played unless that player was injured.When Dick was fired Trent was not far behind. Unless Trent comes in with a different attitude & grows a set I don't think he is long for this team.

wmoz11
02-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Trent has more ability than any of the QB's in this draft. Now, will he get over his pussyitis? Who knows.

I'd rather get front 7 help or offensive lineman help and stick with Trent than draft a QB in the 1st round.

Pinkerton Security
02-26-2010, 05:29 PM
the players dont get along with Trent, and trent hasnt performed very well. I dont want him to be our starter, even a little.

that being said, look at Alex Smith in San Fran...he sucked pretty badly until this past year when he looked like an above average QB and made major strides, IMO. Trent might benefit from the new regime and new playcalling, who knows. All i know is I'd rather get a legit rook or legit vet to take his place, but if we need to focus on OL in the draft, I just might be OK with Trent being a stop gap until we build up the rest of our team.

Griff
02-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I'll give him 4 games, 6 if he really shows up in week 3 and 4.

Dr. Pepper
02-26-2010, 09:22 PM
assuming edwards starts, im not watching the Bills until he's back on the bench or off the team. im serious. this team isnt winning **** with edwards leading it. the super fans can jump down my throat, but whatever. im not watching a trent edwards led Bills team in 2010.

Typ0
02-26-2010, 10:29 PM
assuming edwards starts, im not watching the Bills until he's back on the bench or off the team. im serious. this team isnt winning **** with edwards leading it. the super fans can jump down my throat, but whatever. im not watching a trent edwards led Bills team in 2010.

Let me guess...you are in the anyone other than trent edwards category. I'd be happy to play on sundays so you would buy a ticket.

Michael82
02-27-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't even want to think about it. :puke:

justasportsfan
03-01-2010, 11:00 AM
If he continues to perform the way he did last season in terms of on field play and leadership....I highly doubt Gailey and the staff will give him much time like Jauron and his staff did.

if he continues that way then you need to change the title about assuming he'll start. He won't even make it past camp.

HHURRICANE
03-01-2010, 11:00 AM

I think he's toast.

We have no o-line, no d-line, and no WRs. I think Qb is just one of the marketing problems here.

I've said all along that Edwards will win this job because he is still currently the best QB on the roster.

Obviously if McNabb shows up it's all subject to change.

Griff
03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
if he continues that way then you need to change the title about assuming he'll start. He won't even make it past camp.

hows that? He still out performed Fitz.

justasportsfan
03-01-2010, 11:46 AM

to a Trent fan .

I your world not trying is better. In the real world, the wr's wanted Fitz even though he sucked. The coaches wanted Fitz even though he sucked because he had something Trent didn't , cojones.

Just like Rob Johnson was better than Flutie and Kelly. His completion percentage says so.

:coocoo:

trapezeus
03-01-2010, 11:52 AM
i believe the bills are working magic right now. they have people talking about our current QB's as options, they're talking to QB's in the combine, they have rumors about mcnabb, etc.

That's exactly what you want going into the draft. especially at the 9 pick with a couple real OT, RBs, WR, DE on the board. the bills really want teams to have no idea what they are doing so that if someone wants to trade up, they have to assume the bills could take anyone and their guy.

The bills are playing this pretty well right now. i don't care what is said about who the starter is...it's not really going to be clear until after the draft.

Griff
03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
to a Trent fan .

I your world not trying is better. In the real world, the wr's wanted Fitz even though he sucked. The coaches wanted Fitz even though he sucked because he had something Trent didn't , cojones.

Just like Rob Johnson was better than Flutie and Kelly. His completion percentage says so.

:coocoo:

why are you so obsessed about the size of other men's genitals?

So by your train of thought JP is one of greatest QBs in Bills history.

Nighthawk
03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
If Edwards or Fitz is starting next year, then this team is in serious trouble!

justasportsfan
03-01-2010, 12:34 PM

says the guy who sleeps with Trents jock on his pillow.

better days
03-01-2010, 12:43 PM

No, he didn't.

better days
03-01-2010, 12:45 PM

So by your train of thought JP is one of greatest QBs in Bills history.

JP is not one of the greatest QB's in Bills history, but he is a far better QB than Trent Edwards. Trent never has & never will have as good a season as JP did in 06.

sdbillsfan2
03-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I think Edwards has lost the confidence of the other players. I really don't see him winning them over again. They may not want to play with him in the huddle My guess is, he'll end up else where. If not this year then next. If we pick up a vet even with limited skills remaining AND draft a qb in say rds 3 -4 , Capt check down can say good bye ! ( this year) I believe Nix and Gailey are looking for guys with football in their blood , not guys afraid to take the next hit. Trent is not a blue collar player which we need .

PromoTheRobot
03-01-2010, 01:04 PM

This coaching staff and front office has NO loyalty to anyone on this roster. They did not draft any of these players and they do not appear to be pushovers like Jauron was. Fewell benched Edwards for a reason.

I think Trent would be on a very short leash if he displays the same qualities he has displayed, that is if he even starts.

Considering there is no evidence that Trent or Fitz will be the starting QB next year, except for some breathless rumors in the press, I say he starts every game because I know it will make everyone jump over the falls.

PTR

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 02:34 PM
If Edwards or Fitz is starting next year, then this team is in serious trouble!

This team is in serious rebuild mode no matter who is the QB, I fully expect us to be picking Top 10 again next season.

trapezeus
03-01-2010, 02:37 PM
so trent having better stats that fitz proves he's worse, but JP having better stats in 2006 proves he's better than edwards.

That's some twisted logic. Instead of getting into the JP/ TE debate again, i'll say this. Both QB's needed to play better. They had chances to succeed and may or may not have had the deck stacked against them. but winners would have found a way to instill some confidence and win some games. Edwards did that early but then never returned to form after the concussion. Also, he was always injured even when he was "good".

The bills need brohm to be the punching bag next year than drafting a guy and puttin ghim in the same situation of starting too soon like both JP and Edwards.

Griff
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
says the guy who sleeps with Trents jock on his pillow.

rofl selective memory huh? I guess you just ignored my posts that bash Trent...

tampabay25690
03-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I think Trent Edwards is the QB of the Bills in 2010. I don't see Brohm beating him out and Fitz is definitely not the answer. I think they draft a guy in Round 3 (Pike, LeFevour, etc) and have him compete with Brohm and Edwards. I think there are two scenarios:

1. Edwards
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Draft Pick

or

1. Edwards
2. Brohm
3. Draft Pick

I agree with you 100%%%%%
I think it is scenario #2..........

Bottom line this team has so many things to worry about 1st...
Who is going to block for the QB???
How are we going to stop the run???

Trent will be the starter IMO start Training camp....
He has the tools and with some coaching Trent may be the guy in our future.....WHO KNOWS...

Griff
03-01-2010, 08:43 PM
No, he didn't.

:roflmao:

Griff
03-01-2010, 08:45 PM
JP is not one of the greatest QB's in Bills history, but he is a far better QB than Trent Edwards. Trent never has & never will have as good a season as JP did in 06.

I guess you forgot about 05, 07, 08

sorry one good year does not a starting QB make. Don't believe me ask the other 31 NFL teams. The only way he ever sniffed the NFL is because the Colts needed a 3rd stringer while Peyton rode the bench.

better days
03-01-2010, 09:23 PM
I guess you forgot about 05, 07, 08

sorry one good year does not a starting QB make. Don't believe me ask the other 31 NFL teams. The only way he ever sniffed the NFL is because the Colts needed a 3rd stringer while Peyton rode the bench.

JP with the one year is still a better QB than Trent will ever be.

Philagape
03-01-2010, 09:48 PM

How do you define "as good as"?

Rating? Trent's 08 rating was better than JP's 06 rating.

Helping the team win? The Bills did better under Trent in 08 (7-5) than JP in 06 (7-9).

Yards? Garbage stat.

Trent tanked big time, but that doesn't change the fact that by any measure, he was no worse than the last loser. Just bad in different ways.

better days
03-01-2010, 10:06 PM
How do you define "as good as"?

Rating? Trent's 08 rating was better than JP's 06 rating.

Helping the team win? The Bills did better under Trent in 08 (7-5) than JP in 06 (7-9).

Yards? Garbage stat.

Trent tanked big time, but that doesn't change the fact that by any measure, he was no worse than the last loser. Just bad in different ways.

It is funny that you use stats to support your argument unless one doesn't, then it is a "Garbage stat". Well, all of your stats are meaningless garbage. Trents wins & ALL of his stats came against the dregs of the NFL. Trent has never won a game against a good team in the NFL & has looked God awful against even bad teams. I judge football by what I see with my eyes on the field not reading stats from a piece of paper. IMO, using my eyes, JP played well in 06, much better than Trent ever has. JP beat some good teams in his time in Buffalo which Trent never has.

Typ0
03-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I hope I'm alive in 2050 so I can check out the JP vs. arguments of the day.

Griff
03-01-2010, 10:10 PM
It is funny that you use stats to support your argument unless one doesn't, then it is a "Garbage stat". Well, all of your stats are meaningless garbage. Trents wins & ALL of his stats came against the dregs of the NFL. Trent has never won a game against a good team in the NFL & has looked God awful against even bad teams. I judge football by what I see with my eyes on the field not reading stats from a piece of paper. IMO, using my eyes, JP played well in 06, much better than Trent ever has. JP beat some good teams in his time in Buffalo which Trent never has.

JP lost more games with his terrible accuracy and decision making than he won with his big arm.

Philagape
03-01-2010, 10:12 PM

Trent won the eye test too. He looked like a quarterback instead of a mad bomber with his head cut off who made more plays for the other team than his own.

Name the good teams JP beat.

better days
03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Trent won the eye test too. He looked like a quarterback instead of a mad bomber with his head cut off who made more plays for the other team than his own.

Name the good teams JP beat.

No point in going any further with this. If Trent looks like a QB to you, you are welcome to your opinion.

Philagape
03-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Looked.

justasportsfan
03-02-2010, 08:48 AM
BOth QB's were screwed by bad coaching. Like Gailey said, you call plays that uses a players strengths. Dick didn't do that with JP. As a matter of fact, he tried to make JP a dink and dunk pocket passer and didn't even have plays that made use of his mobility. He forced JP to play a system, a system that was designed to play not to lose.

AS for Trent, he got screwed by basic football plays that were easily figured out by the defense and bad gameplanning. Even he admitted " we didn't practice for that".

trapezeus
03-02-2010, 11:11 AM
point is, its the 2010 season. the past failures are behind us.

This talk about edwards starting i think is just what the team wants. with no line, we had 3 QB's play very poorly (albeit in different manners). There is no reason to believe a different guy would suceed under these circumstances.

I believe at this point that edwards is broken and unable to suceed since he refuses to throw a slant, a 15 yard pass, or a long pass. brohm could be servicable and that ryan fitz is not really a starting QB. So if the bills are really intent on fixing the line this year, it might not hurt to run fitz as starter with the new line, brohm as backup with a drafted QB learning as well.

that allows brohm and drafted guy to learn on the sidelines, fitz to take the punishment of the growing pains of a new line, and set us up to have brohm take over for 2011.

CoolBreeze
03-03-2010, 05:01 PM
I could go either way on Trent Edwards. Don't get me wrong I'd rather see another guy in there (Vick, Another FA, Bradford, or even Tebow). However, how can we judge Edwards fairly his line is awful and has always been awful. I don't think there were more than a handful of passes last year in which Edwards wasn't laying on his back afterwords.:surrender

better days
03-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I could go either way on Trent Edwards. Don't get me wrong I'd rather see another guy in there (Vick, Another FA, Bradford, or even Tebow). However, how can we judge Edwards fairly his line is awful and has always been awful. I don't think there were more than a handful of passes last year in which Edwards wasn't laying on his back afterwords.:surrender

Well, I judge him based on the fact Fitz played behind the same bad line, & maybe it was even worse due to injuries than when Trent was under Center. Fitz had much more success getting the ball to the WR's than Trent did. Add to that the fact Trent can't stay healthy & I don't see him as a QB in the NFL for much longer.