PDA

View Full Version : OK - I'll say it...Does anybody think the Gold Medal game was...

Ebenezer
03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
boring.

Really. There were stretches that appeared to just be another regular NHL game on a Tuesday in February. Had it been Latvia/Russian I think people would have been bored to tears. It has nothing to do with the ending/result but that game paled in comparison to Sunday's game and wasn't, by far, the best game of the olympic tournament. I felt that Canada got up 2-0 and just shut it down - like a regular NHL game. It got exciting again with about two minutes to go.

Thoughts?

SabreEleven
03-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I thought it was exciting all the way through, felt like Game 7 of a Stanley Cup finals game althought I wouldn't know because my team has never been there.

Dozerdog
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
And curling is exciting?

Is today opposite day?

Philagape
03-01-2010, 10:51 AM
What was really boring was the overtime .... players were so afraid of making a mistake that they skated around like zombies

RockStar36
03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Not in the slightest.

It's been almost three years since I've been that excited/anxious during a hockey game.

SabreEleven
03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
What was really boring was the overtime .... players were so afraid of making a mistake that they skated around like zombies

did you watch the overtime? Canada ran over the USA like a freight train in OT. Far from boring.

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I though it was one of the best hockey games I've seen in a while. OT was unbelievably intense.

Philagape
03-01-2010, 11:03 AM
did you watch the overtime? Canada ran over the USA like a freight train in OT. Far from boring.

Hard to be bored by something I didn't watch.

northernbillfan
03-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Would you feel the same way if you won?

Philagape
03-01-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm talking strictly about the quality of play (which what I gathered the original post was about). Obviously the fan factor made it white-knuckle.

The Spaz
03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
It was absolutely awesome except for outcome. I'll say this I will take a silver considering we weren't even expected to medal by the "experts".

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Leave it to Eb to come up with something like this, that was a great hockey game.

Dr. Lecter
03-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Boring????

Boring????

Boring??????

Philagape
03-01-2010, 11:50 AM
It was no Canada Cup 87 ... that's the standard

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2010, 12:11 PM
It was absolutely awesome except for outcome. I'll say this I will take a silver considering we weren't even expected to medal by the "experts".

Experts are morons. I predicted US vs Canada final before it even started. Anyone with half a brain could see that the US had the best goalie in the NHL, and a young, fast team.

Teams like Sweden, Russia and even the Czechs thought they could just coast through to the medal games. The US didn't take anything for granted, and thankfully, they woke the Canadians up along the way.

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM
It was no Canada Cup 87 ... that's the standard

No, the standard is 1972, which nothing will ever live up to.

The King
03-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I hope Crosby gets hit by a train.

BlackMetalNinja
03-01-2010, 12:26 PM
I was excited throughout and enjoyed it... but I've seen people claim it was "the greatest hockey game ever" which is simply laughable. People get too wrapped up in the latest big thing sometimes and forget about the big picture. Great game, far from the best I've ever seen.

Ebenezer
03-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Would you feel the same way if you won?
yes.

Ebenezer
03-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm talking strictly about the quality of play (which what I gathered the original post was about). Obviously the fan factor made it white-knuckle.
that is why I made the comparison to Latvia/Russia.

Ebenezer
03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I was excited throughout and enjoyed it... but I've seen people claim it was "the greatest hockey game ever" which is simply laughable. People get too wrapped up in the latest big thing sometimes and forget about the big picture. Great game, far from the best I've ever seen.
It wasn't even the best game of the olympics.

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM

I know. Some people call it the biggest win in Canadian history, which is also a load of crap. Yes, it was huge, one of the biggest, but nothing comes close to 1972, with 1987 Canada Cup vs Russia and even 2002 in salt lake city were bigger wins, IMO.

Ebenezer
03-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I know. Some people call it the biggest win in Canadian history, which is also a load of crap. Yes, it was huge, one of the biggest, but nothing comes close to 1972, with 1987 Canada Cup vs Russia and even 2002 in salt lake city were bigger wins, IMO.
72 was huge because people forget that Canada was not sending teams to the Olympics in protest of the Soviets using pros. When they finally started sending teams in '80 they weren't that great because by that time 18 year olds could be drafted and play in the AHL and NHL (which would have changed the dynamics of the 80 games immensely - if those under 20 could not play in the NHL then Gretz and Messier would have been playing for Canada and the Miracle might never have happened - Canada was beating USSR and lost. Had Canada won the USSR wouldn't have made the metal round). Hence, the talent level of Canadian teams was low - hence the reason '02 was so important.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I thought it was a great game, granted I dont watch much hockey but from a casual fan stand point who watched it with buddies who rarely (if ever) watch hockey, I thought it was very good.

YardRat
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I was on the edge of my seat the entire time...great game, IMO. I knew the USA was in serious trouble if it went to OT (4 on 4). One more period of 5 on 5 and I think the US comes out with the win.

Congrats to the Canadian team, though, for getting the gold. They certainly earned it.

rbochan
03-01-2010, 02:42 PM
I broke my couch they tied it with 24 seconds left.

Canadian'eh!
03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
I was on the edge of my seat the entire time...great game, IMO. I knew the USA was in serious trouble if it went to OT (4 on 4). One more period of 5 on 5 and I think the US comes out with the win.

Congrats to the Canadian team, though, for getting the gold. They certainly earned it.

Canada had the game all the way but just tightened up too much in the 3rd with the lead. They did the same against Slovakia and almost lost it there too.

If they played the 3rd like they did the 1st and 2nd it wouldn't have gone to OT.

But Bab**** told them before OT to go for the win and to stop "playing it safe"

Sid does what great (and he is truly great now.... he has the cup and Gold to prove it) ones are supposed to do.

Very impressed with that US team. they were gutty, young and talented. the US is going to be dangerous for a long time.

But that Canadian team was ultra talented top to bottom. I'm sure we'll be having this same conversation many many more times.

It's our game baby.... but it's fun to share it with others.

Ebenezer
03-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Very impressed with that US team. they were gutty, young and talented. the US is going to be dangerous for a long time.

But that Canadian team was ultra talented top to bottom. I'm sure we'll be having this same conversation many many more times.

I don't think we will be. I don't think they are going to let the pros play in '14 without something radical happening.

Dr. Lecter
03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't think that the game was the best ever or even close to it.

But it sure as hell was not boring. Not at all.

SabreEleven
03-01-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't think we will be. I don't think they are going to let the pros play in '14 without something radical happening.

It will be so anticlimatic if there isn't pro's there so nobody will watch. IMO, there will be pro's there. Bettman isn't THAT stupid...is he?

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Bettman won't be commish in 2014. :pray:

SabreEleven
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Bettman won't be commish in 2014. :pray:

Stop teasing me, Adam.

Ebenezer
03-01-2010, 05:55 PM
It will be so anticlimatic if there isn't pro's there so nobody will watch. IMO, there will be pro's there. Bettman isn't THAT stupid...is he?
exactly what do you think the NHL is going to get out of this or any other olympics?

BuffaloRanger
03-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Canada had the game all the way but just tightened up too much in the 3rd with the lead. They did the same against Slovakia and almost lost it there too.

If they played the 3rd like they did the 1st and 2nd it wouldn't have gone to OT.

But Bab**** told them before OT to go for the win and to stop "playing it safe"

Sid does what great (and he is truly great now.... he has the cup and Gold to prove it) ones are supposed to do.

It's our game baby.... but it's fun to share it with others.

If a gold medal team can have an over inflated sense of self worth its Canada.

Where was the great Canadian team that was supposed to blow the US out of the water? Seriously. I saw two evenly matched teams. The US wasn't supposed to be able to hang with Canada this game. Only a pure defensive gameplan with Miller standing on his head - like in their first game - would even keep it close. But that didn't happen. US kept attacking. Canada won in OT. But they weren't "far superior" to the US. Barely better yesterday.

And where was Crosby all olympics? He wasn't even one of the top 5 forwards on Canada.

Ebenezer
03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
and was it my imagination or the coverage but there didn't seem to be the level of celebration I expected - regardless who won. Again, a Latvia/Russia final played in Sweden the way that was played yesterday and I doubt we would be talking about this game at all.

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2010, 06:24 PM
If a gold medal team can have an over inflated sense of self worth its Canada.

Where was the great Canadian team that was supposed to blow the US out of the water? Seriously. I saw two evenly matched teams. The US wasn't supposed to be able to hang with Canada this game. Only a pure defensive gameplan with Miller standing on his head - like in their first game - would even keep it close. But that didn't happen. US kept attacking. Canada won in OT. But they weren't "far superior" to the US. Barely better yesterday.

And where was Crosby all olympics? He wasn't even one of the top 5 forwards on Canada.

I don't recall any media outlet anywhere saying Canada was going to blow out the US. Any smart hockey fan knew that the game would likely be close.

How does Canada have an inflated sense of self worth? I'm dying for you to explain this to me.

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2010, 06:24 PM
and was it my imagination or the coverage but there didn't seem to be the level of celebration I expected - regardless who won. Again, a Latvia/Russia final played in Sweden the way that was played yesterday and I doubt we would be talking about this game at all.

Eb, you didn't see the Canadian coverage then. 80 percent of Canadians watched the game.

Ebenezer
03-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Eb, you didn't see the Canadian coverage then. 80 percent of Canadians watched the game.
I have satellite TV - no CBC. But, I was talking celebration on the ice. The US look more devastated than Canada did celebratory.

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I have satellite TV - no CBC. But, I was talking celebration on the ice. The US look more devastated than Canada did celebratory.

Oh, ok. Well, the celebration wasn't anywhere near the women, lol. They all skated around with a giant Canadian flag for about 10 minutes, then left the ice.

BAM
03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Maybe I just drank too much but me and all the guys I was watching it with were on edge the ENTIRE game. I thought it was excellent!

chernobylwraiths
03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
First period didn't look much better than an average NHL game. Picked up in the second and was really good late in the third and overtime. Canadians played really well defensively, especially Niedermeyer IMO since it looked like Luongo was a rebound machine.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 10:11 PM
First period didn't look much better than an average NHL game. Picked up in the second and was really good late in the third and overtime. Canadians played really well defensively, especially Niedermeyer IMO since it looked like Luongo was a rebound machine.

Yea what was up with that, I counted 7 or 8 times he the puck hit the inside of his mit and then bounced out.

chernobylwraiths
03-02-2010, 06:19 AM
Yea what was up with that, I counted 7 or 8 times he the puck hit the inside of his mit and then bounced out.

Don't know. For several years he has been considered one of the best goaltenders in the league, I find it hard to believe we are just finding out now that he can't catch.