• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChanGailey
    Veteran Zoner
    • Jan 2010

Alex Barron

PFT is reporting that the St Louis Rams are only going to tender RFA LT Alex Barron at the 2nd round level, meaning, he can sign with any team and they would have to surrender a 2nd rounder to St Louis.

He started all 16 games last season, has 5 years of experience, is 27 years old. They have a top end pick in Jason Smith that they expect to play LT, and this guy is basically too good to play RT.

Complete career NFL stats for Oakland Raiders Offensive Tackle Alex Barron on ESPN. Includes scoring, rushing, defensive and receiving stats.

I think this could end up being a great move. There aren't any tackles with 5 years NFL experience in the draft, and the fact that the guy started 16 games last year speaks to his durabilit/toughness.

I'd hate to surrender a 2nd, but a 2nd on a somewhat proven guy would free us up to take the DT in R1, which of the two positions, I feel your more likely to hit a winner at DT than OT in the draft.

Whattya think, guys?
  • Raptor
    • Jan 2009

Re: Alex Barron

I think he is avg at best and most of the time below avg.

Pass

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

He has injury issues I believe, Im not sure he's worth a 2nd St. Louis may bite for lower, like a 3rd and a conditional, maybe even a 4th.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

No thanks. We can do better through the draft.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
          • Feb 2009

Id rather draft Saffold in the 2nd than trade it St. Louis for him.

Comment

• Jeff1220
            H to the 12:20
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by andyxc71
            No thanks. We can do better through the draft.
            ...or we could do worse. Who really knows?

Comment

• ChanGailey
              Veteran Zoner
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              He has injury issues I believe, Im not sure he's worth a 2nd St. Louis may bite for lower, like a 3rd and a conditional, maybe even a 4th.
              His profile says he started every game for the last 3 years and I believe 12 the year before.

I'm not expecting that he'd be an all start. But at 6'7" 307lbs, he seems to be that ideal LT size. Not too heavy on his knees.

I just think that if it can end up being a cheaper route, it'd be better than potentially missing on a tackle at 9.

As I've read here before, all the top end tackles seem to have some red flags.

Comment

• ChanGailey
                Veteran Zoner
                • Jan 2010

turfshowtimes.com says the Rams would probably take a 4th round pick....

The guy was the 19th pick in 05...

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ChanGailey
                  PFT is reporting that the St Louis Rams are only going to tender RFA LT Alex Barron at the 2nd round level, meaning, he can sign with any team and they would have to surrender a 2nd rounder to St Louis.

He started all 16 games last season, has 5 years of experience, is 27 years old. They have a top end pick in Jason Smith that they expect to play LT, and this guy is basically too good to play RT.

Complete career NFL stats for Oakland Raiders Offensive Tackle Alex Barron on ESPN. Includes scoring, rushing, defensive and receiving stats.

I think this could end up being a great move. There aren't any tackles with 5 years NFL experience in the draft, and the fact that the guy started 16 games last year speaks to his durabilit/toughness.

I'd hate to surrender a 2nd, but a 2nd on a somewhat proven guy would free us up to take the DT in R1, which of the two positions, I feel your more likely to hit a winner at DT than OT in the draft.

Whattya think, guys?
                  They know no one is dumb enough to pay a 2nd for him which is why they did that. And if someone does they will gladly take it.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

His profile says he started every game for the last 3 years and I believe 12 the year before.

I'm not expecting that he'd be an all start. But at 6'7" 307lbs, he seems to be that ideal LT size. Not too heavy on his knees.

I just think that if it can end up being a cheaper route, it'd be better than potentially missing on a tackle at 9.

As I've read here before, all the top end tackles seem to have some red flags.

He had injuries early in college and had torn knee cartilage that required offseason surgery. Plus there are these comments;

Originally posted by Jim Thomas-St.Louis Dispatch Rams Beat Writer
                    dominic: Hey Jim:
                    Are you satisfied with Alex Barron as a starting tackle or does he scare you as a player?
                    And do you forsee them signing any other street free agents besides maybe Michael Pittman and a quarterback? Hope you continue these chats up to your vacation.
                    Jim Thomas: I think Alex Barron is a B- player. The Rams could do a lot worse. But the problem is, and the frustration with coaches, is that Barron could be so much better. Does he care enough about the game? Does he really want to do what it takes to be the best at his profession?
                    Peter King has called him horrible and a perennial disappointment.

And then there is the fact that Barron is one of the most often penalized lineman in the league;
                    Team NFC West Player Pos. Penalties Penalty Yards STL Richie Incognito OL 13 89 ARI Deuce Lutui OL 12 70 ARI Kurt Warner QB 11 72 STL Alex Barron OL 11 51 SF Vernon Davis TE 9 69 SF Nate Clements DB 8 92 ARI Levi Brown OL 8 55 ARI Darnell Dockett DL 8 48 SF Ray McDonald DL 8 44 SEA Josh Wilson CB 8 32 ALL NFC WEST 446 2,870 Posted by ESPN.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

Who cares how experienced he is? So is Chris Kelsay.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• ChanGailey
                        Veteran Zoner
                        • Jan 2010

I'm just saying, for a 4th round pick, he'd probably be our best tackle...depending on who we draft.

I'm pretty willing to bet he's better than Bell and maybe even Merideth. He was a past 1st round pick, so it could come down to coaching.

His injury in college was now 8 years ago, then. That's ancient history.

I think for a 4th round pick, it's about as low risk as it get's.

Imagine if the guy we draft in the first is getting the grades he's getting in 4 years. You'd much rather be the team that bought low than the ones who guaranteed him 20 mil.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

I'm just saying, for a 4th round pick, he'd probably be our best tackle...depending on who we draft.

I'm pretty willing to bet he's better than Bell and maybe even Merideth. He was a past 1st round pick, so it could come down to coaching.

His injury in college was now 8 years ago, then. That's ancient history.

I think for a 4th round pick, it's about as low risk as it get's.

Imagine if the guy we draft in the first is getting the grades he's getting in 4 years. You'd much rather be the team that bought low than the ones who guaranteed him 20 mil.
                          Where did you read he's for a 4th? The site you linked earlier says a 2nd, he's tendered a 1st Round level, but could be had for a 2nd Round pick.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

no.

Comment

He's a false start waiting to happen on almost every play.

Comment

Working...
                              X