PDA

View Full Version : Alex Barron

ChanGailey
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
PFT is reporting that the St Louis Rams are only going to tender RFA LT Alex Barron at the 2nd round level, meaning, he can sign with any team and they would have to surrender a 2nd rounder to St Louis.

He started all 16 games last season, has 5 years of experience, is 27 years old. They have a top end pick in Jason Smith that they expect to play LT, and this guy is basically too good to play RT.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8434

I think this could end up being a great move. There aren't any tackles with 5 years NFL experience in the draft, and the fact that the guy started 16 games last year speaks to his durabilit/toughness.

I'd hate to surrender a 2nd, but a 2nd on a somewhat proven guy would free us up to take the DT in R1, which of the two positions, I feel your more likely to hit a winner at DT than OT in the draft.

Whattya think, guys?

Raptor
03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
I think he is avg at best and most of the time below avg.

Pass

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 11:21 AM
He has injury issues I believe, Im not sure he's worth a 2nd St. Louis may bite for lower, like a 3rd and a conditional, maybe even a 4th.

ParanoidAndroid
03-01-2010, 11:29 AM
No thanks. We can do better through the draft.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Id rather draft Saffold in the 2nd than trade it St. Louis for him.

Jeff1220
03-01-2010, 11:33 AM
No thanks. We can do better through the draft.

...or we could do worse. Who really knows? :idunno:

ChanGailey
03-01-2010, 11:37 AM
He has injury issues I believe, Im not sure he's worth a 2nd St. Louis may bite for lower, like a 3rd and a conditional, maybe even a 4th.

His profile says he started every game for the last 3 years and I believe 12 the year before.

I'm not expecting that he'd be an all start. But at 6'7" 307lbs, he seems to be that ideal LT size. Not too heavy on his knees.

I just think that if it can end up being a cheaper route, it'd be better than potentially missing on a tackle at 9.

As I've read here before, all the top end tackles seem to have some red flags.

ChanGailey
03-01-2010, 11:42 AM
turfshowtimes.com says the Rams would probably take a 4th round pick....

The guy was the 19th pick in 05...

Mahdi
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
PFT is reporting that the St Louis Rams are only going to tender RFA LT Alex Barron at the 2nd round level, meaning, he can sign with any team and they would have to surrender a 2nd rounder to St Louis.

He started all 16 games last season, has 5 years of experience, is 27 years old. They have a top end pick in Jason Smith that they expect to play LT, and this guy is basically too good to play RT.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8434

I think this could end up being a great move. There aren't any tackles with 5 years NFL experience in the draft, and the fact that the guy started 16 games last year speaks to his durabilit/toughness.

I'd hate to surrender a 2nd, but a 2nd on a somewhat proven guy would free us up to take the DT in R1, which of the two positions, I feel your more likely to hit a winner at DT than OT in the draft.

Whattya think, guys?
They know no one is dumb enough to pay a 2nd for him which is why they did that. And if someone does they will gladly take it.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 12:14 PM
His profile says he started every game for the last 3 years and I believe 12 the year before.

I'm not expecting that he'd be an all start. But at 6'7" 307lbs, he seems to be that ideal LT size. Not too heavy on his knees.

I just think that if it can end up being a cheaper route, it'd be better than potentially missing on a tackle at 9.

As I've read here before, all the top end tackles seem to have some red flags.

He had injuries early in college and had torn knee cartilage that required offseason surgery. Plus there are these comments;

dominic: Hey Jim:
Are you satisfied with Alex Barron as a starting tackle or does he scare you as a player?
And do you forsee them signing any other street free agents besides maybe Michael Pittman and a quarterback? Hope you continue these chats up to your vacation.
Jim Thomas: I think Alex Barron is a B- player. The Rams could do a lot worse. But the problem is, and the frustration with coaches, is that Barron could be so much better. Does he care enough about the game? Does he really want to do what it takes to be the best at his profession?

Peter King has called him horrible and a perennial disappointment.

And then there is the fact that Barron is one of the most often penalized lineman in the league;
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/1850/nfc-west-penalty-watch-final-2008-leaders

Philagape
03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Who cares how experienced he is? So is Chris Kelsay.

ChanGailey
03-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm just saying, for a 4th round pick, he'd probably be our best tackle...depending on who we draft.

I'm pretty willing to bet he's better than Bell and maybe even Merideth. He was a past 1st round pick, so it could come down to coaching.

His injury in college was now 8 years ago, then. That's ancient history.

I think for a 4th round pick, it's about as low risk as it get's.

Imagine if the guy we draft in the first is getting the grades he's getting in 4 years. You'd much rather be the team that bought low than the ones who guaranteed him 20 mil.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm just saying, for a 4th round pick, he'd probably be our best tackle...depending on who we draft.

I'm pretty willing to bet he's better than Bell and maybe even Merideth. He was a past 1st round pick, so it could come down to coaching.

His injury in college was now 8 years ago, then. That's ancient history.

I think for a 4th round pick, it's about as low risk as it get's.

Imagine if the guy we draft in the first is getting the grades he's getting in 4 years. You'd much rather be the team that bought low than the ones who guaranteed him 20 mil.

Where did you read he's for a 4th? The site you linked earlier says a 2nd, he's tendered a 1st Round level, but could be had for a 2nd Round pick.

Buffalogic
03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
no.

kernowboy
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
He's a false start waiting to happen on almost every play.

Night Train
03-01-2010, 03:35 PM
He's a false start waiting to happen on almost every play.

So he'll room with Bell.

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2010, 03:43 PM
It would be a lateral move. The Rams had a worse O-line than Buffalo. Why would taking one of their players improve Buffalo's o-line?

ChanGailey
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
It would be a lateral move. The Rams had a worse O-line than Buffalo. Why would taking one of their players improve Buffalo's o-line?

IDK how did New Orleans manage to take one of our castaway DLmen and make him play well on a good defense?

Coaching. Chemistry. Teamwork.

Things can change. I read on turfshowtimes there that he Rams would probably take a 4th for him. I certainly think it worth looking into for at least depth. The cupboard is bare right now.

I'm willing to bet he could be better than Brad Butler!

better days
03-02-2010, 12:50 PM
IDK how did New Orleans manage to take one of our castaway DLmen and make him play well on a good defense?

Coaching. Chemistry. Teamwork.

Things can change. I read on turfshowtimes there that he Rams would probably take a 4th for him. I certainly think it worth looking into for at least depth. The cupboard is bare right now.

I'm willing to bet he could be better than Brad Butler!

He was cut because of off field issues not his play on the field.

yomommabilly
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Alex Baron is the perverbial " The lights are on but nobodys home " type of guy. The last good year he had was 2006 at RT and Incognito was at center. Jackson had the rushing record ( I believe ) he did make the pro bowl, along with Bulger and Holt and Pace. Since then its been downhill. Can say this though, looking at his stats the kid has started every game since he was drafted in 2005, thats pretty impressive.

Cannot judge his blocking skills either when you are blocking for a person like Mark Bulger. Bulger has cement feet, a bad arm , moves like a wet log and would much rather take a sack instead of throwing the ball away. Saw him many times just tuck it under his arm and fall instead of throwing it away. Sad situation. If we could get Baron for a 4th then I say do it.

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
If Barron is being offered for a 4th then I would actually consider that. Not for anything more though. He is a good run blocker and if running the ball and play action is going to be our focus then he could fit into that system more than he fits into what the Rams have been doing.

Big boy too at 6'7.

yomommabilly
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Baron is not a good run blocker. He played RT for three years alongside Incognito, thats what made him look like a good run blocker. They moved him to LT last year when they cut Pace and considering the Rams QB had a cement bucket around his feet, did not do a half bad job. RUN blocking is not one of Barons strengths, neither is his mental awareness or smarts.

Mahdi
03-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Baron is not a good run blocker. He played RT for three years alongside Incognito, thats what made him look like a good run blocker. They moved him to LT last year when they cut Pace and considering the Rams QB had a cement bucket around his feet, did not do a half bad job. RUN blocking is not one of Barons strengths, neither is his mental awareness or smarts.
Well the Rams have always run the ball well whether he was a RT or LT so I doubt he has any trouble run blocking. They are a power run blocking team also. Not zone, so its not easy to run the ball that well if your OT is a weak run blocker.