PDA

View Full Version : Rolando McClain won't run the 40

psubills62
03-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Disappointing...

Alabama ILB Rolando McClain has opted out of the forty-yard dash and all athletic drills at the Scouting Combine.

The decision isn't injury related, and is very disappointing due to lasting concerns about McClain's range and straight-line speed. McClain also said in interviews over the weekend that he'd much rather play in a 3-4 scheme than a 4-3, limiting his appeal across the board. His stock isn't on the rise.

I read before that several teams don't have him in their top 32 players, though I'm going to guess that it's mainly 4-3 teams who aren't high on him.

It's frustrating to see these guys who have question marks about their speed (Spikes and McClain, ironically two guys from the supposed "SEC speed" conference) refuse to run the 40-yard dash.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
His stock is dropping and fast.

psubills62
03-01-2010, 01:34 PM

It's unfortunate that he obviously isn't worth the 9th overall pick anymore. He was my second favorite after Bulaga (assuming guys like Suh, McCoy, Berry, Okung, etc. go in the top 8). It's getting to the point where if Bulaga doesn't make it to 9, I'd rather trade down. Blech...

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Id say he's a lower 20 pick right now, with danger of falling out of Round 1. Which is scary considering how good he is. He needs a big pro day.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-01-2010, 01:38 PM
This with the low reps on the bench will hurt him hard core. I love Micah Johnson and would take him over McClain, and Johnson's a third rounder.

The Spaz
03-01-2010, 01:38 PM
The trend continues.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM
The trend continues.

Happens every year.

The Spaz
03-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Happens every year.

I agree but it seems more top rated players are doing this year than before IMO.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I agree but it seems more top rated players are doing this year than before IMO.

I dont have the numbers in front of me but I do agree it is a bigger number imo.

Good for me though, I like seeing the lesser known prospect do workouts and get more reps.

psubills62
03-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Id say he's a lower 20 pick right now, with danger of falling out of Round 1. Which is scary considering how good he is. He needs a big pro day.

Interesting...if we could get Bulaga/McClain in the first two rounds...

EDS
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
This with the low reps on the bench will hurt him hard core. I love Micah Johnson and would take him over McClain, and Johnson's a third rounder.

You are putting way too much stock in the workouts.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-01-2010, 02:36 PM
You are putting way too much stock in the workouts.

As I said, I've liked Micah Johnson better for a while, it's just proving my point. I'm not someone who takes a lot out of the combine but you have to show stuff. I've never felt like McClain was a top 10 pick. He's no where near the talent of a Patrick Willis.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Interesting...if we could get Bulaga/McClain in the first two rounds...
I wouldnt count on that, McClain's pro day will likely guarantee him a 1st Round pick.

psubills62
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I wouldnt count on that, McClain's pro day will likely guarantee him a 1st Round pick.

I know, I was just dreaming.

PECKERWOOD
03-01-2010, 03:04 PM

I've been saying this for a while now, he is over hyped. I'd take him in the 2nd round, but with the 9th pick? No way.. He is not an elite prospect, if you put him in last year's class he would have been lucky to of gone in the 1st round.

psubills62
03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Just wanted to post this semi-correction:

NFL Network reports that Alabama ILB Rolando McClain didn't go through any drills at the Combine due to a hamstring injury.

McClain's absence from the forty and agility drills was initially believed to be non-injury related, but it appears he has an excuse. According to ex-NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah, however, "lots of scouts are down on McClain" for sitting out. They have questions about his competitiveness and speed.

Ron Burgundy
03-03-2010, 08:52 AM

If he falls into the bottom of the first, we should trade up and grab him.

I hope his pro day sucks.

Mahdi
03-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Disappointing...

I read before that several teams don't have him in their top 32 players, though I'm going to guess that it's mainly 4-3 teams who aren't high on him.

It's frustrating to see these guys who have question marks about their speed (Spikes and McClain, ironically two guys from the supposed "SEC speed" conference) refuse to run the 40-yard dash.
My problem with McClain is his hips. He seems a bit stiff. He has no where near the agility and pop Patrick Willis has which is why I question ppl who feel he is top 10.

methos4ever
03-06-2010, 05:59 AM
And now that the Dolphins have signed Dansby they don't need to draft him. Which puts his range to what, the Steelers? Cardinals to replace Dansby?