djjimkelly
03-01-2010, 02:08 PM
per nfl network

psubills62
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
On Friday he will be.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Id love to pick him up as a starter and move Jackson back to the reserve role. He has plenty still in the tank.

Thief
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Id love to pick him up as a starter and move Jackson back to the reserve role. He has plenty still in the tank.I think Jackson is better.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I think Jackson is better.

Skill wise probably, but I think Jones is a better wear them down type back. Where as Jackson is more of a quick hitting guy.

psubills62
03-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Jones to San Diego makes too much sense at this point.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Jones to San Diego makes too much sense at this point.

With a rookie like Spiller to back him up.

psubills62
03-01-2010, 02:41 PM
With a rookie like Spiller to back him up.

That would be one talented backfield.

trapezeus
03-01-2010, 02:47 PM
thomas jones really irriated jet fans. they didn't think he hit holes very effectively and was too beaten down. and with the emergence of their other back, he was expendable. i could see him going to SD, but i also think he might just be SOL.

Backs over 30 are expensive gambles. there are always a bunch to be taken in draft. and if you feel you have a good line, pretty much any average back can move the chains for you.

Ickybaluky
03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
thomas jones really irriated jet fans. they didn't think he hit holes very effectively and was too beaten down. and with the emergence of their other back, he was expendable. i could see him going to SD, but i also think he might just be SOL.

Backs over 30 are expensive gambles. there are always a bunch to be taken in draft. and if you feel you have a good line, pretty much any average back can move the chains for you.

Any "irritated" Jet fans were idiots, then. The guy ran for 1.400 yards, so he must have hit some holes. He may be getting older, but the guy was very productive.

I understand what you are saying about backs getting older and being a risk, but Jones is coming off the best season of his career. His age is a concern, but he is a good short-term option for any team. Production is production, and there are going to be teams lining up to sign Jones, even if they won't be looking to give him a long-term commitment.

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
How do you release a guy who gained 1400 yards and had 14 TDs last year? WTF are the Jets doing?

BILLSROCK1212
03-01-2010, 03:51 PM
How do you release a guy who gained 1400 yards and had 14 TDs last year? WTF are the Jets doing?
understandable if you haven't seen Leon Washington or Shonn Greene play

trapezeus
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
jets line is pretty awesome. i think if you are looking at this from dollars and cents, their other two backs are cheaper and got the job done.

the anti-jones sentiment in new york is pretty big. they like the guy, but they don't like his production versus the flash and speed of the other two backs.

DraftBoy
03-01-2010, 05:06 PM
T-Long nailed this a few days ago;

Thomas Jones is going to get cut due to his roster bonus coming up soon, so they won't have to trade for him.

Philagape
03-01-2010, 05:08 PM
It's easy to run up good numbers behind the best OL in the league.
And better to dump him before the inevitable over-30 decline rather than suffer through it like the Chargers did.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Shonne Greene owned Thomas Jones late in season and into playoffs. That is why Jet fans were sick of Jones. It wasn't a knock on Jones, but an endorsement on Green. Shonne had an extra effort and broke the bigger plays. They want Greene to be the starter

BuffaloBlitz83
03-01-2010, 05:16 PM
understandable if you haven't seen Leon Washington or Shonn Greene play

In the playoffs Shonne Greene was getting bulk of carries and was far more effective.

BILLSROCK1212
03-01-2010, 05:19 PM
In the playoffs Shonne Greene was getting bulk of carries and was far more effective.my point exactly

SaviorEdwards
03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
It will be a nice pick up whoever gets him, you gotta love his angry running style.

Ickybaluky
03-01-2010, 06:20 PM
If you ask me, the Jets are taking a risk. They are going to have to bring in another back to share the load, so depending who they bring it they might miss Jones a lot more than people think.

Remember, Washington is coming off a severe compound fracture, not unlike Eric Wood. He may take some time to work back into regular play, and his size limits him to a change-of-pace back. He will always be an injury risk.

That means the Jets are betting everything on Green. However, there is a big difference with being a guy coming off the bench and being a lead back. There is no saying he performs as well in that role. He played well in the playoffs and is a promising young player, a big guy with some long speed when he breaks through the line.

But, ask yourself

- Can he do it when he has to carry the ball 300 times? Jones was a prove vet who held up over the long haul. 5 straight 1,000+ yard seasons.

- Can he execute with more of the offense? One of the knocks on Greene coming out of Iowa was he wasn't real bright, a JuCo transfer who struggled academically (it was one of the reasons he declared early). As a lead back, he is going to be in there for more packages and will have to execute more of the playbook. He isn't a good route-runner, which hurts the passing game and makes the Jets easier to defend. Greene had no receptions in the regular season and 1 in the postseason.

- Can he protect the passer? Jones was very good at blitz pickup, and one of the knocks on Greene is he isn't good at reading blocking schemes and anticipating where he has to go to pick up the rusher. There is a lot more to playing RB in the NFL than carrying the ball.

- Can he hold onto the football? Jones carried the ball over 1,200 times in the last 4 years and only lost 2 fumbles. Greene had 108 carries last year and lost 3 fumbles. If he puts it on the ground, it doesn't matter how good he runs.

People love to anoint a guy when he has a few good games as a reserve. However, it is a completely different story when you become the starter and have to execute over the long haul. Greene may well have a great year next season, but the Jets are taking a big risk.

In the NFL, production is king. Jones has been a productive guy, a veteran who knows how to play and has prove he can do the job. He is still very productive. I'm surprised the Jets are letting him go over a little money in an uncapped year. It really doesn't make much sense if you ask me.

dplus47
03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I think all 3 of the remaining teams in the East should be interested in signing Jones. I'm not saying they will be interested, but you have Miami with Williams who faded down the stretch last year and Brown coming off another serious injury, New England is always interested in signing good veterans like Jones and they need someone to do what Fred Taylor couldn't do last year, and Buffalo could use some Lynch insurance. Jackson and Jones would be a formidable backfield, IMO.

Jones might run with a chip on his shoulder vs. the Jets, and the Jets are vulnerable to a physical running attack.

San Diego might have the most interest, though, and they should.

justasportsfan
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
i think if you are looking at this from dollars and cents, their other two backs are cheaper and got the job done. Got the job done or hope they can get the job done. Greene had 500+ yards +2 TDs . Thats hardly getting the job done. Thomas had 14 TD's. They better hope Greene can make 14 TD's next season.

the anti-jones sentiment in new york is pretty big. they like the guy, but they don't like his production versus the flash and speed of the other two backs.
they were annoyed and had an anti-Jonesand they like they guy? Thats jets fans for you.

trapezeus
03-02-2010, 11:19 AM
they were annoyed and had an anti-Jonesand they like they guy? Thats jets fans for you.

like bledsoe. we all hated bledsoe as he faded down the stretch, but we all knew he was a class act. same thing.

justasportsfan
03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
like bledsoe. we all hated bledsoe as he faded down the stretch, but we all knew he was a class act. same thing.

Thomas had his best season while Bledsoe was declining rapidly. We disliked Drew due to his productivity or lack of it.

psubills62
03-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Jets players are displeased with the team's impending release of Thomas Jones.

The NY papers have multiple quotes from Jones' ex-teammates expressing anger with the move. "It's not going to be a popular move in the locker room," said one. "We loved T.J. The man loved the game and put it all on the line only to get dumped after his best season. I think you should reward players for performance. You dump him but give Vernon (Gholston) another shot?."

from rotoworld.com

TacklingDummy
03-02-2010, 11:29 AM
How do you keep a guy who 450 yards, 2 TDs, 3 game suspension in 2009 and who barely rushed for 1000 yards, took 12 games to rush for 100 yards, in 2008?

Who's also 1 frig up away from a year off.

mybills
03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Why do Bills fans care if the Jets let Jones go?

justasportsfan
03-02-2010, 12:18 PM
How do you keep a guy who 450 yards, 2 TDs, 3 game suspension in 2009 and who barely rushed for 1000 yards, took 12 games to rush for 100 yards, in 2008?

by getting rid of the brainthrust who doesn't know how to use his strengths?

TacklingDummy
03-02-2010, 12:43 PM
by getting rid of the brainthrust who doesn't know how to use his strengths?
Hit and runs, gaining weight, taking $20's, sitting in a parks car with his friends with pot it the car, and bringing his own booze to bars his strengths?

justasportsfan
03-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Hit and runs, gaining weight, taking $20's, sitting in a parks car with his friends with pot it the car, and bringing his own booze to bars his strengths?
I was pointing out his lack of production on the field ;)