PDA

View Full Version : I still expect Kyle Williams to get dealt

patmoran2006
03-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Despite all the wonderful (and accurate) things Buddy Nix said recently about Kyle Williams, I still think he will get dealt sometime between March 5 and the NFL draft.

And I think Indianapolis and New Orleans are the two prime candidates.

If he was traded to the Colts I think he could fetch their late second rounder, and from Indy's perspesctive its a great fit.

And if its to New Orleans getting one of their RFA OT's would be a good trade for both teams.

Regardless of where, I think Williams will get traded.

YardRat
03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I think one of the guys (Duncan or Harvey) signed earlier by Nix is going to play a bigger role than most of us expect.

ZAZusmc03
03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
As much as I like Williams, I can see it happening as well. I would love to keep him if he fits, but if we could get a 2nd rounder or an OT out of the deal, I wouldn't complain at all. Hate to see him go because he is the epitome of the character I want to play for the bills. But if it does happen and it helps us out a huge deal, then I will bid him farewell and wish the best for him.

psubills62
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
I'd love to get more draft picks, but I think it's also legitimate to look and see what players we may be able to get for Williams. If I were Buddy Nix talking to the Colts about Williams, I'd inquire about Anthony Gonzalez's availability.

And yes, I agree with you Pat, I think Williams still has a very good chance to get traded.

JCBills
03-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I've been saying this since the day they announced we're switching to a 3-4 front.

I love Williams to death, but I don't see a spot for him to be as effective as he would in a 4-3 look. I think he has very good value for a 4-3 team looking for a starter at DT. Most Bills fans knocked him for years until he finally got recognized this past season, but he's been disruptive at the line since his rookie season, and has really put it together over the last two seasons. I'll be a fan of his if he gets traded.

YardRat
03-01-2010, 05:33 PM
If Williams goes, that leaves us with Duncan and Harvey, Johnson, Mace, McCargo and Stroud.

JCBills
03-01-2010, 05:35 PM
If Williams goes, that leaves us with Duncan and Harvey, Johnson, Mace, McCargo and Stroud.

Which is why I'm hoping we draft D-heavy early. We don't have a NT anyways and nobody with experience at 3-4 end.

Saratoga Slim
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Despite all the wonderful (and accurate) things Buddy Nix said recently about Kyle Williams, I still think he will get dealt sometime between March 5 and the NFL draft.

And I think Indianapolis and New Orleans are the two prime candidates.

If he was traded to the Colts I think he could fetch their late second rounder, and from Indy's perspesctive its a great fit.

And if its to New Orleans getting one of their RFA OT's would be a good trade for both teams.

Regardless of where, I think Williams will get traded.

I'd be a lot happier with the NO option.

dannyek71
03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
A PB alternate DT who is young is worth ATLEAST a 2nd rounder in my books.

Yasgur's Farm
03-01-2010, 06:14 PM
I hope your right pat... A 2nd rounder or starting LT are far more valuable to a 3-4 than Williams.

T-Long
03-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I could see a draft day trade involving Williams, but can't he play the other DE spot opposite Stroud?

Yasgur's Farm
03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
At this point... The only viable DE's on the roster are Marcus Stroud and Spencer Johnson. I don't hink Kyle Williams transitions to DE.

Scumbag College
03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
If I was the GM of another team, Kyle Williams would be one of the few players on this rancid roster that I would actually give up something (or someone) of value for. I think he would warrant a second round pick or a starting caliber OT, LB, or DE.

T-Long
03-01-2010, 06:38 PM
But, the question I have is, do you think Kyle Williams is a name that people in other organizations are bringing up when they are putting together a plan? I doubt it. It would have to come straight from the Bills brass and them making calls gauging interest in him. He is a great player for us, but I don't think he is a "household" name to other teams.

Scumbag College
03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
But, the question I have is, do you think Kyle Williams is a name that people in other organizations are bringing up when they are putting together a plan? I doubt it. It would have to come straight from the Bills brass and them making calls gauging interest in him. He is a great player for us, but I don't think he is a "household" name to other teams.

NFL scouts and GMs have to keep tabs of all the players in the league. If a player is good enough to be a Pro Bowl alternate on a lousy team, that player would stand out in my mind.

T-Long
03-01-2010, 06:46 PM
NFL scouts and GMs have to keep tabs of all the players in the league. If a player is good enough to be a Pro Bowl alternate on a lousy team, that player would stand out in my mind.
The Pro Bowl alternates are a joke IMO. Most of the guys voted in don't play in the game, so the NFL digs deep to find guys who will actually play in the meaningless game. Unless you are voted in, I don't see most alternates as Pro Bowl caliber players.

better days
03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
If the Bills were to trade Kyle Williams, I would hope they get at least a 2nd rnd pick in return.

Buddo
03-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I think Williams still has value to the Bills. Problem being, it likely will not be as a starter, whereas as previously stated, there are a few teams where he could comfortably start, and represent a decent improvement, should he be traded.
The Saints would be a possible candidate, especially as they do have at least one 'spare' OT, who is capable of starting in return.
Something that does need to be borne in mind, is the fact that this years draft, does have good depth at both OT and DT, and it may be that teams aren't so willing to drop a high(ish) draft pick in a trade, whereas they might be willing to exchange a player, with lower round compensation if necessary.
Bushrod, could be an option, but if so, I hope it would be as RT, with a draftee @ #9 pencilled in for LT.

SABURZFAN
03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
i'd be surprised if they get a 2nd rounder for him.

Ron Burgundy
03-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I'd be a lot happier with the NO option.

It'd be the smart solution for both teams, a trade with true value for each party.

Which means, of course, that it will never happen.

ChanGailey
03-01-2010, 11:07 PM
I'll bet all my Zone Bucks he isn't traded...

At least not by the draft.

Philagape
03-01-2010, 11:11 PM
If I were a GM, I'd consider him. But then my coach would tell me he actually wants to stop the run, so that would be a dealbreaker.

JCBills
03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
The Pro Bowl alternates are a joke IMO. Most of the guys voted in don't play in the game, so the NFL digs deep to find guys who will actually play in the meaningless game. Unless you are voted in, I don't see most alternates as Pro Bowl caliber players.

Alternates are usually the guys who get that nod based on the coaches / players votes.

PECKERWOOD
03-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Kind of funny how some of the top 3-4 DE prospects in this year's draft class are 6'2, yet people think Kyle Williams can't make the transition because he is 6'1.. Really, what's an inch? If it matters that much to you, Kyle Williams could be 6'1 7/8 for all you know! Who cares?

Night Train
03-02-2010, 06:22 AM
Williams,Kelsay,Schobel,Whitner,maybe McGee,maybe Lynch...I expect the Bills to be entertaining offers for any of them . I have no idea on their actual value as far as draft picks or players.

This admin. may be making real changes to this team and shaping the roster in a radical manner.

JCBills
03-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Williams,Kelsay,Schobel,Whitner,maybe McGee,maybe Lynch...I expect the Bills to be entertaining offers for any of them . I have no idea on their actual value as far as draft picks or players.

This admin. may be making real changes to this team and shaping the roster in a radical manner.

I wouldn't remove anything from that secondary except Whitner, they've been playing lights out as a unit over the last two seasons.

patmoran2006
03-02-2010, 07:48 AM
I'll bet all my Zone Bucks he isn't traded...

At least not by the draft.
He's a good player and I like him a lot, but he just doesn't fit here. .He's WAY too small to play NT in a 3-4 and he doesn't fit that 3-4 mold.

I'll give you this much though; the Bills aren't going to just give him away.. If the best they can do with him is get a late fourth or a fifth then I think they would keep him.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-02-2010, 09:31 AM
kelly gregg and casey hampton are both 6'1 and weigh about 320lbs... kyle williams is that size almost

ChanGailey
03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Again, we won't get near value in return, so it won't happen.

How can you gain by just giving away your better football players?

If there's one thing Nix has proven to me, it's that he's going to take a common sense approach. A good 2nd rounder, IMO would be the MINIMUM! Good d-tackles are the most in demand position in football, aside from QB.

I don't think anybody will offer us a 2 because we switched schemes and hold no leverage. So we'll probably see what he can do in a 3-4.

I think he'll be fine. Plus there is still nickel packages, etc.

patmoran2006
03-02-2010, 09:53 AM

If there's one thing Nix has proven to me, it's that he's going to take a common sense approach. A good 2nd rounder, IMO would be the MINIMUM! Good d-tackles are the most in demand position in football, aside from QB.

I don't think anybody will offer us a 2 because we switched schemes and hold no leverage. So we'll probably see what he can do in a 3-4.

Who said anything about giving him away? Getting a starting RT from the Saints or a second round pick from the Colts isn't giving him away.

But I do agree with you in the sense that if it becomes the case they will keep him. They'll find use for him somehow, but in no way does he fit the prototypical type of 3-4 defense.

Also, a team doesnt care about what defense we run.. If the Colts (for an example) who run a defense that Williams is suited for see value in him, then they wont offer any less because we switched defenses.. its very plausible they see Williams as a better DT fit than they'll get at that position late in the second round of a draft.

Didn't they give us a fourth for McCargo 2 years ago before he failed his physical?

ryjam282
03-02-2010, 09:53 AM
This is sad, this guy never gets any love. Here's a 7th round pick who routinely outplays the 1st rounder from the same year in McCargo and always seems to be around the ball. He's a hustler and never quits on a play. Heck, there are plays where I see him chasing 20-25 yards down the field. I love this guy, seriously. I would love to see him maybe moved to the outside in the 3-4 and let him rush the passer there. I think he could learn that one possibly. No??

patmoran2006
03-02-2010, 10:02 AM
This is sad, this guy never gets any love. Here's a 7th round pick who routinely outplays the 1st rounder from the same year in McCargo and always seems to be around the ball. He's a hustler and never quits on a play. Heck, there are plays where I see him chasing 20-25 yards down the field. I love this guy, seriously. I would love to see him maybe moved to the outside in the 3-4 and let him rush the passer there. I think he could learn that one possibly. No??

5th rounder but not 7th but you're right, he's very underrated.

The problem is simply that's he's not an ideal fit in a 3-4 and the team would have to get very creative in the way they use him.

For that reason, I think if they can get a late second rounder or a decent player in return at a need position, they must and will take advantage.

methos4ever
03-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I think the creative aspect is the key. If the defensive coaching staff thinks they can use him they'll keep him and move him around. If Wade can use slanting 1 gap Noses, I don't see why Edwards can't either.

JCBills
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM

What?

Switching defenses = no trade leverage how?

That's kind of out of nowhere. If a 4-3 team needs a DT, they need a DT. They don't see teams changing schemes as anything more than what it is.

JCBills
03-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Nobody is saying he can't play football, if anything he's getting a ton of love because it takes one hell of a player to hold the trade value he likely has.

It isn't a matter of learning anything, it's body type. Williams would likely get smothered by the bigger OTs in the league.

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 02:35 PM
I think the creative aspect is the key. If the defensive coaching staff thinks they can use him they'll keep him and move him around. If Wade can use slanting 1 gap Noses, I don't see why Edwards can't either.
Because Jay Ratliff is a beast. He is a very powerful player at the point of attack. KW is not. Jay is also 6'4 which gives him more leverage.

Completely different players and I doubt they can be used in the same way. I hope KW gets traded for a 3rd because IMO, we can add a 3-4 suitable player that would be of more value to us than KW at this point.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-02-2010, 05:47 PM
if we can get a 2nd round pick or even a high 3rd round pick i would do it. this draft is very deep with 34 talent. especially lineman that can 2 gap which is what edwards wants to do....