PDA

View Full Version : Sullivan: Miller gives Regier reason to make move

Bufftp
03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Ryan Miller has made his statement. Powerful and assertive, it resounds through the hockey world, two days after the close of the Olympics. Gold medal or not, Miller showed he is one of the world's elite goaltenders, capable of leading a team on a seemingly unimaginable ride.
The next move belongs to Darcy Regier, the Sabres' general manager. The NHL trade deadline is 3 p.m. Wednesday. It's time for Regier to show his belief in his hockey team and let the world know he's serious about making a run at the Stanley Cup this year.
Sullivan (http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/01/973785/sullivan-miller-gives-regier-reason.html)

Never been a big Sullivan fan, but I think this article is spot on.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I've heard Regier speak enough to understand his stance in times like these. If he doesn't do anything, I'll be completely cool with it. Meanwhile, I'm sure a lot of people will be squaking if he doesn't - and certainly a lot of whiners will call in to WGR.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 09:13 AM
I completely agree.

Miller has shown he can lead the team, but the Sabres need a piece here and there to improve or they won't make it out of the second round.

Darcy needs to take advantage of this and strike now.

rbochan
03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Sure... Darcy will get it done. Just like he did with Hasek.

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I've heard Regier speak enough to understand his stance in times like these. If he doesn't do anything, I'll be completely cool with it. Meanwhile, I'm sure a lot of people will be squaking if he doesn't - and certainly a lot of whiners will call in to WGR.

It's not whining. It's a legitimate complaint. Darcy has refused to make a splash in FA/trades in either the off-season or at the deadline for 3 straight years now. Where has it gotten us? Two straight years of no playoffs, and a team nosediving in the stretch run this year.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

What he's doing isn't working- time to change.

But, it's irrelevant. We can argue about this all day and it won't change the way the Sabres' FO does business. It hasn't resulted in a Stanley Cup yet, but that's no reason to go changing things, right?

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
It's not whining. It's a legitimate complaint. Darcy has refused to make a splash in FA/trades in either the off-season or at the deadline for 3 straight years now. Where has it gotten us? Two straight years of no playoffs, and a team nosediving in the stretch run this year.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

What he's doing isn't working- time to change.

But, it's irrelevant. We can argue about this all day and it won't change the way the Sabres' FO does business. It hasn't resulted in a Stanley Cup yet, but that's no reason to go changing things, right?

Ok who should Regier go after? Who available will honestly make our team THAT much better to where we'll be a SERIOUS cup contender. Who and how much will we have to give up?

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Ok who should Regier go after? Who available will honestly make our team THAT much better to where we'll be a SERIOUS cup contender. Who and how much will we have to give up?

As far as who is available, I simply don't know. Unlike Rieger, I don't get paid to keep up on that, but there has to be someone out there who can help.

As far as what we have to give up, who cares? Other than Myers and Miller, this team is loaded with mediocrity and streaky players.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 09:31 AM
As far as who is available, I simply don't know. Unlike Rieger, I don't get paid to keep up on that, but there has to be someone out there who can help.

As far as what we have to give up, who cares? Other than Myers and Miller, this team is loaded with mediocrity and streaky players.

There are few players in this league available that make such an impact that our Cup chances will be noticeably increased.

I would support Regier making a move IF that player is under contract beyond this season. If the player is a UFA this Summer, or if the likelihood of the player being kept beyond this season is slim to none, then I don't support the move. I think Regier would support this notion because it's more than short-sighted.

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 09:39 AM
There are few players in this league available that make such an impact that our Cup chances will be noticeably increased.

I would support Regier making a move IF that player is under contract beyond this season. If the player is a UFA this Summer, or if the likelihood of the player being kept beyond this season is slim to none, then I don't support the move. I think Regier would support this notion because it's more than short-sighted.

It depends what we have to give up, but generally I agree. Giving up too much for a rent-a-player is not smart. Maybe if we were better, like NJ, and were truly one scorer away from having a great shot at the Cup, then I could live with it. But we're not in that position at the moment. I still think we need to add a scorer to have any shot whatsoever in the playoffs, but even with that I still see the Cup as a long shot. NJ with Kovalchuk is just scary.

SabreEleven
03-02-2010, 09:58 AM

I know where that guy isn't. he isn't on the current roster.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2010, 10:11 AM
but even with that I still see the Cup as a long shot. NJ with Kovalchuk is just scary.
Is it really Scary? He hasn't looked good at all in NJ so far.

Washington scares me and so does Pittsburgh.

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Is it really Scary? He hasn't looked good at all in NJ so far.

Washington scares me and so does Pittsburgh.

how many games did he have there? 2? 3?

Washington is definitely scary. I was looking at the standings yesterday and their points and goals for are just insane. They should win the East easily and it wouldn't surprise me to see them win the Cup.

And I'm dreading every second of it.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 10:18 AM
I know where that guy isn't. he isn't on the current roster.

Don't sit here and hate on Regier and airchair QB unless you're going to tell me exactly what trades would turn our team into a legit Cup contender this year and what you think we'd have to give up for him.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Ray Whitney.

He'll waive his NTC for a 2 year extension and I would be more than happy to give that to him.

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Ray Whitney.

He'll waive his NTC for a 2 year extension and I would be more than happy to give that to him.

I'd do that in a second as well.

But, I can already hear the crickets chirping in Darcy's office.

chernobylwraiths
03-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Don't sit here and hate on Regier and airchair QB unless you're going to tell me exactly what trades would turn our team into a legit Cup contender this year and what you think we'd have to give up for him.

Ok Darcy.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Ok Darcy.

Well I hear all these whiners calling into WGR and all these people who think they can do SOOOO much better than Regier, but in reality they have probably never themselves even laced up and played competitive hockey nor likely they understand the business side of the game, at all.

trapezeus
03-02-2010, 10:41 AM
i'm torn on this. i think the sabres are a mediocre team with a great goalie. They've won a lot of 3-2, 2-1, and 2-0 games this year. connolly was the only guy with a consistent point streak. Roy, vanek, these guys are practically invisible on the scorer sheet of late and lagging their past years performance.

I wouldn't mind seeing what trading Roy would get us. The guy is a poor man's parise. I like roy, but i don't see his value this season. he needs more talent around him to be dangerous and we don't have that.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Ray Whitney.

What would Carolina want for him and what does the 37-yr-old require per year for two years (assuming he'd even be willing to come here)?

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Well I hear all these whiners calling into WGR and all these people who think they can do SOOOO much better than Regier, but in reality they have probably never themselves even laced up and played competitive hockey nor likely they understand the business side of the game, at all.

See, there is a huge flaw in this logic. The callers may not know what they're talking about, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Darcy is competent.

Results determine competence, not title. When has Darcy won a Cup? What has Darcy done to make this team better since losing Briere and Drury?

The callers to WGR may be ranting morons, but that doesn't make Darcy right.

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
What would Carolina want for him and what does the 37-yr-old require per year for two years (assuming he'd even be willing to come here)?

I really don't think getting him to come here would be that big of an issue. For all the problems the Sabres have, they're in much better shape than Carolina at the moment.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 10:51 AM
See, there is a huge flaw in this logic. The callers may not know what they're talking about, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Darcy is competent.

Results determine competence, not title. When has Darcy won a Cup? What has Darcy done to make this team better since losing Briere and Drury?

The callers to WGR may be ranting morons, but that doesn't make Darcy right.

Maybe not - maybe Darcy isn't perfect, but who is? There are few better GM/coach combos than Regier and Ruff. The majority of teams in the NHL would scoop them up in an instant if they were made available. The only GMs off the top of my head that I would right now take over Regier are Ken Holland and Lou Lamoriello.

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
and another thing- I'm so sick of the "he doesn't want to come here" argument. It's management's job to attract top employees. If players consistently choose to go to other teams, there is a reason and it's most likely a problem with the organization itself.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 10:54 AM
and another thing- I'm so sick of the "he doesn't want to come here" argument. It's management's job to attract top employees. If players consistently choose to go to other teams, there is a reason and it's most likely a problem with the organization itself.

Tell that to the Bills. I love Buffalo but definitely can understand why players would avoid the Bills like the plague.

But when I say "if Ray Whitney even would want to come here", it's because most players only want to waive their clause for teams that have an undeniable shot at the Cup. Are the Sabres one of those teams? They certainly aren't at the level of teams like Pittsburgh and Washington.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 11:04 AM

I've read that Carolina wants a pick and a prospect.

I'd be willing to throw a 2nd round pick and prospect if it kept him in Buffalo for 2 years. He makes 3.55 million per year now, I'd be willing to match that for 2 more years.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 11:05 AM
That is what I mean when I say Darcy needs to strike now.

I'm thinking along the lines like, maybe Buffalo is a more attractive situation right now because all the players at back and watched Miller dominate in the Olympics and now it seems like a good situation. Take advantage of it while the memory is still fresh.

trapezeus
03-02-2010, 11:15 AM
the sabres need to find some leaders and vets.

you aren't going to find a ton of goal scorers to make this team lethal. but you can find vets who have been there and can hold vanek, roy, stafford to a higher level.

They need one more grier like guy who can be a tough guy, a back checker, and a potential goal scorer (not necessary).

The sabres aren't going to trade their way into an offensive powerhouse. So why not get guys who can really help clear the zone and make miller's life easier. that really only requires one good player coming in.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 11:29 AM
the sabres need to find some leaders and vets.

you aren't going to find a ton of goal scorers to make this team lethal. but you can find vets who have been there and can hold vanek, roy, stafford to a higher level.

They need one more grier like guy who can be a tough guy, a back checker, and a potential goal scorer (not necessary).

The sabres aren't going to trade their way into an offensive powerhouse. So why not get guys who can really help clear the zone and make miller's life easier. that really only requires one good player coming in.

Whitney isn't a tough guy by any stretch, but he would make this a much better team.

He makes about the same as Hecht and produces way more than him. He is a veteran leader with Cup experience that could help keep the younger guys in line.

We're missing the most important piece. Backup goalie.

DrGraves
03-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Darcy is one of the worst GMs in all of pro sports... he squanders talent when he has it and then lets it walk out the door.

trapezeus
03-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Darcy is one of the worst GMs in all of pro sports... he squanders talent when he has it and then lets it walk out the door.

is this comment true only because the bills didn't really have a legit GM last year?

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Darcy is not one of the worst GM's, not even close.

I'm willing to bet he takes a huge beating from the fans when there is a lot he can't control in terms of who his boss is.

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
I've read that Carolina wants a pick and a prospect.

I'd be willing to throw a 2nd round pick and prospect if it kept him in Buffalo for 2 years. He makes 3.55 million per year now, I'd be willing to match that for 2 more years.
and this is a little fact being completely overlooked. Salary cap. The Sabres have under $2mil left under the cap - the league cap, not some self imposed cap (unofficial totals are about $1.8 million). The NHL cap doesn't work like the NFL cap. If you trade for a player now you only have to pay him his prorated salary, i.e., if the guy makes $2mil a year and he plays 20 games for you then you only have to pay him $500K. However, in the NHL his whole salary counts against your cap. Thus, the Sabres, without moving somebody off the current roster, could only acquire a player making about $1.5Mil (they have to ensure they have some room for call-ups in case of injury). The only way to create room would be to move somebody off the roster. Now, before people say, "well just cut Hecht or Lydman" please understand that that is easier said then done. If you cut a player his cap number still costs against your cap (and there may be escalation of monies in the case of Hecht).

Bottomline? The Sabres are not bringing in anybody making more than $1.5mil a year without trading somebody out of here. Now, if you can identify somebody making a good chunk of change, who another team would actually want, then you can start talking trades.

Personally? I don't see the Sabres doing anything significant tomorrow unless they can move Lydman or Stafford. Otherwise, I don't even see them making a trade.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Darcy is not one of the worst GM's, not even close.

I'm willing to bet he takes a huge beating from the fans when there is a lot he can't control in terms of who his boss is.

The truth doesn't matter to the peanut gallery. They always need something to piss and moan over. No matter who our GM was, they would ***** and moan. We'd have a new GM every 2 yrs if it were up to some of these people.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 11:48 AM
and this is a little fact being completely overlooked. Salary cap. The Sabres have under $2mil left under the cap - the league cap, not some self imposed cap (unofficial totals are about $1.8 million). The NHL cap doesn't work like the NFL cap. If you trade for a player now you only have to pay him his prorated salary, i.e., if the guy makes $2mil a year and he plays 20 games for you then you only have to pay him $500K. However, in the NHL his whole salary counts against your cap. Thus, the Sabres, without moving somebody off the current roster, could only acquire a player making about $1.5Mil (they have to ensure they have some room for call-ups in case of injury). The only way to create room would be to move somebody off the roster. Now, before people say, "well just cut Hecht or Lydman" please understand that that is easier said then done. If you cut a player his cap number still costs against your cap (and there may be escalation of monies in the case of Hecht).

Bottomline? The Sabres are not bringing in anybody making more than $1.5mil a year without trading somebody out of here. Now, if you can identify somebody making a good chunk of change, who another team would actually want, then you can start talking trades.

Personally? I don't see the Sabres doing anything significant tomorrow unless they can move Lydman or Stafford. Otherwise, I don't even see them making a trade.

I know about the prorated amounts, however it is news to me that the whole salary counts against the cap no matter what.

Everything in my research has told me that only the prorated amount goes towards the cap, so I guess I have more looking around to do.

Either way, besides Miller and Myers, everyone should at least be in the discussion.

And if they don't make a move at all, it will be a complete disaster.

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 11:48 AM
The truth doesn't matter to the peanut gallery. They always need something to piss and moan over. No matter who our GM was, they would ***** and moan. We'd have a new GM every 2 yrs if it were up to some of these people.
for what he has to work with DR does a fine job. the guy is loyal to his bosses to a fault. they might not have made the playoffs the last two years but the team is stable and relevant. they haven't won cups but few teams have had more overall success on and off the ice the last 12 years.

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I know about the prorated amounts, however it is news to me that the whole salary counts against the cap no matter what.

Everything in my research has told me that only the prorated amount goes towards the cap, so I guess I have more looking around to do.

Either way, besides Miller and Myers, everyone should at least be in the discussion.

And if they don't make a move at all, it will be a complete disaster.
I am only quoting what I heard them talk about on the radio this morning but this was also my understanding before that discussion. If you bring on a player it is like that player has been on your roster the whole season.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Actually, where have you read that the entire salary counts against the cap. I'm looking at Ottawa right now and the Matt Cullen trade and it's telling me that they are only on the hook for the prorated amount for the rest of this season.

Not saying you're wrong, just wondering where you got the info. so I can get my info. straight.

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Actually, where have you read that the entire salary counts against the cap. I'm looking at Ottawa right now and the Matt Cullen trade and it's telling me that they are only on the hook for the prorated amount for the rest of this season.

Not saying you're wrong, just wondering where you got the info. so I can get my info. straight.
As I said, they were discussing it on the radio this morning. I was a little confused about it too. Paille cost the Sabres on the cap, I know that.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 11:56 AM
for what he has to work with DR does a fine job. the guy is loyal to his bosses to a fault. they might not have made the playoffs the last two years but the team is stable and relevant. they haven't won cups but few teams have had more overall success on and off the ice the last 12 years.

Exactly. THAT is the rational and prudent view of Regier's performance.

Philagape
Under Regier, the Sabres have made the playoffs in seven of 12 seasons. In a league where the majority of teams make the playoffs every year, that's good but not elite.

In his first two years, the Sabres made a Cup run for one reason: Hasek, who Darcy inherited. So his first two years shouldn't be credited to him.
That makes him 5-for-10, just making the playoffs.
And any credit he gets for building the Briere-Drury run is canceled out because he dismantled that team prematurely.

So ... a mediocre overall record in which he screwed up the best thing he did. Not exactly a sterling tenure as GM.

RockStar36
Weird.

Everything I've read has stated the opposite of what the radio is saying.

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Weird.

I was caught off guard this morning, too.

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Weird.

in regards to what?

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Under Regier, the Sabres have made the playoffs in seven of 12 seasons. In a league where the majority of teams make the playoffs every year, that's good but not elite.

In his first two years, the Sabres made a Cup run for one reason: Hasek, who Darcy inherited. So his first two years shouldn't be credited to him.
And any credit he gets for building the Briere-Drury run is canceled out because he dismantled that team prematurely.

So ... a mediocre overall record in which he screwed up the best thing he did. Not exactly a sterling tenure as GM.
I don't blame a guy when he is acting on the orders of his boss. Quinn was the one who "personally" was supposed to have had Drury "signed contract in hand" in Boston after a game.

Philagape
03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
If Darcy's just a lapdog, then he's irrelevant.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM

I don't see how you can rule out two of those years. So I guess now I can rule out different seasons for other GMs because they had Allstar players, too, then? I don't think so.

You're also ignoring that the Sabres for years worked with one of the lowest payrolls in the league, something like $35 million, while nearly every other team was working with a $50 million payroll. I'd say Darcy did a pretty good job considering what he had to work with.

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
If Darcy's just a lapdog, then he's irrelevant.
then stop *****ing about him.

Philagape
03-02-2010, 12:17 PM
then stop *****ing about him.

No. If he is a lapdog, then I want more than a lapdog.

(and until it's shown that he was overruled by his superiors, then his name is on everything this franchise has done)

I'll stop *****ing when others stop praising.

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 12:20 PM
No. If he is a lapdog, then I want more than a lapdog.

If he is a lapdog then all other GMs they would bring in would be lapdogs. DR may be in charge of getting the groceries but if his boss tells him to throw out the filet mignon then he throws out the filet mignon.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
in regards to what?

I am under the impression that if the Sabres trade for a player tomorrow, they are on the hook for only the salary remaining. Eb is saying that on the radio they said while the team would only pay the salary remaining, the entire cap hit comes over.

So Whitney might only be owed like 700,000 for the rest of the season and that is all the Sabres would pay, but the entire 3.55 million would count against the cap which would put them over.

I've read the opposite that only the remaining amount hits the cap.

If Eb and the radio is right, the Sabres are pretty tied down in terms of moves.

Philagape
03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't see how you can rule out two of those years. So I guess now I can rule out different seasons for other GMs because they had Allstar players, too, then? I don't think so.

If they inherited those players, yes.

And how many years was the Sabres' payroll that low? They were close to the cap during the most recent run, and they are now.
In 07-08 the total cap hit was $45 mil, and in 08-09 it was $50.6. That's $95 million for no playoffs.

It's not that they haven't spent. They've given big contracts to Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Connolly and Miller. Those are the players they chose to build this team around.

BlackMetalNinja
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Eb, Rockstar... here is the answer to your question:

TRADES When two teams trade players, the cap figures of each player immediately become the responsibility of the other team. The new CBA prevents teams from picking up any part of a player's salary for another team in the future, or including cash in any transaction between teams. Any such agreements in the past are still valid, with the new team only counting the portion of the player's salary they are responsible for paying against the team cap. An example of this is Jaromir Jagr of the New York Rangers, who is paid $8.36 million in '07-08 but only counts $4.94 million (the portion the Rangers pay) against the Rangers team cap; the difference is paid by Washington but does not count against their team cap.
To answer an often-asked question: when a player is traded from one team to another, his cap number DOES NOT change. Thus, if Bryan McCabe is traded from Toronto to the Islanders in the 2008-09 offseason, his cap number with the Islanders remains $5,750,000 - it does not recalculate based on the remaining years of the contract.

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#trades

The cap number stays the same for remaining years of the contract, but only the portion remaining for that season, which the team getting the player is obligated for, counts against that team's cap number for that season.

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Eb, Rockstar... here is the answer to your question:

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#trades

The cap number stays the same for remaining years of the contract, but only the portion remaining for that season, which the team getting the player is obligated for, counts against that team's cap number for that season.
ok, thanks for clarifying....that is not what they were saying between 7-8am this morning...

so, that means the Sabres could, in theory, pick up any player who is making under $6mil a year - I still don't see them doing that.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
ok, thanks for clarifying....that is not what they were saying between 7-8am this morning...

so, that means the Sabres could, in theory, pick up any player who is making under $6mil a year - I still don't see them doing that.

That doesn't totally shock me.

They a lot of wiggle room.

Considering who they have hitting free agency after this season and they have even more.

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
That doesn't totally shock me.

They a lot of wiggle room.

Considering who they have hitting free agency after this season and they have even more.
I'd move Lydman in a heartbeat...If I could get Horton I would move Stafford and Lydman.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I'd move Lydman in a heartbeat...If I could get Horton I would move Stafford and Lydman.

Horton is on the block but from what I've read, he is the same type of player that we ***** about on the Sabres. Of course, I don't watch enough Panthers games to give an actual opinion on him.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Jay McKee is likely available, per John Vogl of the Buffalo News. He makes $800,000. I'm not saying I would trade for him, just that he's available (potentially).

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Horton is on the block but from what I've read, he is the same type of player that we ***** about on the Sabres. Of course, I don't watch enough Panthers games to give an actual opinion on him.
Guy averages 28 goals for every 80 games played - I think he is what the Sabres hope Stafford will become.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Jay McKee is likely available, per John Vogl of the Buffalo News. He makes $800,000. I'm not saying I would trade for him, just that he's available (potentially).

I would gladly take him if he is healthy enough.

I thought his signing was a very good move by Pittsburgh last summer for the price they paid.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I would gladly take him if he is healthy enough.

I thought his signing was a very good move by Pittsburgh last summer for the price they paid.

If he's healthy and the price is right, I definitely go for it. The guy is a shot-blocking machine.

rbochan
03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Guy averages 28 goals for every 80 games played - I think he is what the Sabres hope Stafford will become.
He's also got a broken leg.

Nighthawk
03-02-2010, 05:41 PM

Why would you agree with Regier sitting back and doing nothing to improve a team that desperately needs change??? That's ridiculous...

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
He's also got a broken leg.
a broken leg that will not be broken for the length of his contract.

Ebenezer
03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
The guy was a shot-blocking machine.

Is this a more correct statement?

tampabay25690
03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Ray Whitney.

ROCKSTAR u are point on...
This is the guy Im hearing from my inner contact they are targeting...
I do know they are trying to make a move...

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Why would you agree with Regier sitting back and doing nothing to improve a team that desperately needs change??? That's ridiculous...

Because throwing away draft picks that are your lifeblood for a guy who walks after this season is not a sustainable way to field a competitive team in a small market town.

If you do it, you do it for a guy who is under contract beyond this season.

Ebenezer
03-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Because throwing away draft picks that are your lifeblood for a guy who walks after this season is not a sustainable way to field a competitive team in a small market town.

If you do it, you do it for a guy who is under contract beyond this season.

what percentage of 2nd round picks pan out in this league? 3rd rounders? etc.

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
what percentage of 2nd round picks pan out in this league? 3rd rounders? etc.

You tell me. I can tell you that Jhonas Enroth and Mike Weber are both 2nd rounders. Butler's a 4th rounder. Kaleta's a 6th rounder. The more picks you have the more likely you're going to strike. Besides the Senators, the Sabres roster had the most players that they themselves drafted and developed. Draft picks are their life blood.

Ebenezer
03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
You tell me. I can tell you that Jhonas Enroth and Mike Weber are both 2nd rounders. Butler's a 4th rounder. Kaleta's a 6th rounder. The more picks you have the more likely you're going to strike. Besides the Senators, the Sabres roster had the most players that they themselves drafted and developed. Draft picks are their life blood.

that doesn't mean they won't survive if they move a 2nd or a 3rd rounder now and then. The chances of one of those guys making it to the NHL are rare. Do Enroth (may never make it here), Butler (sorry, never been impressed) or Kaleta make it to too many NHL teams? I don't think so.

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
that doesn't mean they won't survive if they move a 2nd or a 3rd rounder now and then. The chances of one of those guys making it to the NHL are rare. Do Enroth (may never make it here), Butler (sorry, never been impressed) or Kaleta make it to too many NHL teams? I don't think so.

It's a matter of opinion. I value draft picks over throwing them away for some guy who will make little to no difference in the cup chase.

Ebenezer
03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
It's a matter of opinion. I value draft picks over throwing them away for some guy who will make little to no difference in the cup chase.

I'm not disagreeing with that either. I am not pushing for a trade to be made today. I am trying to make the point that every so often a pick could be moved to improve the team now.

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm not disagreeing with that either. I am not pushing for a trade to be made today. I am trying to make the point that every so often a pick could be moved to improve the team now.

If the player is under contract past this season, I'm fine with making a move that involves a draft pick. I just don't like making a move just to make a move, like a lot of people seem to be clamoring for this morning in Buffalo. There are few players available that we could make a good deal for that would actually provide a notable boost to the team.

Ebenezer
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
If the player is under contract past this season, I'm fine with making a move that involves a draft pick. I just don't like making a move just to make a move, like a lot of people seem to be clamoring for this morning in Buffalo. There are few players available that we could make a good deal for that would actually provide a notable boost to the team.

again, not disagreeing...as per my post about Nathan Horton the other day.