PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays: Unofficial 4.24 40 !!!

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Insane speed for a 6'3 230 LB S. Hello first round again.

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Insane speed for a 6'3 230 LB S. Hello first round again.
Actually,,,, Hello top 15. And although that much stock should not be put into the 40... 1 team will not be able to resist.

Dicknoze69
03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Al Davis' head might explode when he's forced to pick between Taylor Mays and Bruce Campbell.

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Al Davis' head might explode when he's forced to pick between Taylor Mays and Bruce Campbell.
Yeah... I think Mays being from USC will tip it in his favor and the simple fact that Al can't resist DBs that run sub 4.3 with size to boot.

I really think Mays is going to the Raiders at #8.

SaviorEdwards
03-02-2010, 11:03 AM
He is a physical freak but he is awful in coverage and has the hands of stone. Teams need just to watch the Oregon game again to see Taylor Mays. Way too many time does he try to go for the big hit instead of wrapping up and making a tackle.

Italian Stallion
03-02-2010, 11:13 AM
WOW...in no way did I see this coming for a guy that looks to be a LB playing safety.

I wonder if teams will overreact and he wont even get as far as the #8 Raiders? After all, the Seahawks @6 could use a safety and Pete Carroll just happens to be their coach, all while still have another pick to burn at #14.

Hmmm

Mike13
03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Al Davis would sign him right now if he could.

streetkings01
03-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Al Davis would sign him right now if he could.And make him the highest paid safety in the NFL.

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 12:06 PM
So much for 4.24.... OFFICIAL 4.43. Not sure how it goes from that to that.

patmoran2006
03-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Back to where he was supposed to be.

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I think he solidified a 1st round spot.

mysticsoto
03-02-2010, 12:21 PM

4.43 is still good for a safety. Sub 4.3 is outstanding, but 4.43 is Lee Evans type speed...

streetkings01
03-02-2010, 12:48 PM
4.43 is still good for a safety. Sub 4.3 is outstanding, but 4.43 is Lee Evans type speed...4.43 isn't Lee Evans type speed......Lee ran a 4.31/40 at the combine. 4.43 is Marshawn Lynch type speed.

Following his senior campaign at Wisconsin, Evans performed well in pre-draft workouts, seemingly doing everything he could to solidify his chances of becoming a first-round pick. Evans ran a blistering 4.31 40-yard dash at the Combine and also did well at Wisconsin’s pro
day.
http://wisconsin.scout.com/2/254262.html

JCBills
03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
4.43 isn't Lee Evans type speed......Lee ran a 4.31/40 at the combine. 4.43 is Marshawn Lynch type speed.

Following his senior campaign at Wisconsin, Evans performed well in pre-draft workouts, seemingly doing everything he could to solidify his chances of becoming a first-round pick. Evans ran a blistering 4.31 40-yard dash at the Combine and also did well at Wisconsin’s pro
day.

Which is why he has more 70+ yd receptions than any other player since 2000, and he's only been in the league since 2004.

TigerJ
03-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Al Davis' head might explode when he's forced to pick between Taylor Mays and Bruce Campbell.So true!

mysticsoto
03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
4.43 isn't Lee Evans type speed......Lee ran a 4.31/40 at the combine. 4.43 is Marshawn Lynch type speed.

day.

Good memory. I thought he ran a 4.4...

DraftBoy
03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
I think he solidified a 1st round spot.

He was expected to run sub 4.5, anything over that would of been a disappointment. He's done nothing to tell me he's worth a 1st Round pick with a fast 40 time which we all knew he would pull off.

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
He was expected to run sub 4.5, anything over that would of been a disappointment. He's done nothing to tell me he's worth a 1st Round pick with a fast 40 time which we all knew he would pull off.
Whether he is worth it or not does not mean he won't go in the first round. I think he is a bit rough around the edges in terms of coverage but a team will value what he brings to the table in terms of toughness and size/speed and will spend the first rounder.

Maybe even the Saints or Hawks (Carroll)

DraftBoy
03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Whether he is worth it or not does not mean he won't go in the first round. I think he is a bit rough around the edges in terms of coverage but a team will value what he brings to the table in terms of toughness and size/speed and will spend the first rounder.

Maybe even the Saints or Hawks (Carroll)

And I speak in terms of value and he is way more than just a little rough around the edges. His coverage skills are beyond horrendous, he is a more athletic version of Darnell Bing essentially.

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 02:40 PM
And I speak in terms of value and he is way more than just a little rough around the edges. His coverage skills are beyond horrendous, he is a more athletic version of Darnell Bing essentially.
Value wise he probably should not be in the first round but like I said if a team feels he could compliment a coverage safety they already have then maybe to them he is worth a first rounder.

I think Bing is a good example although Mays has more talent and instincts.

I think Mays could fit in well with a team that blitzes a lot and can use him close to the LoS. He can also thrive in a 46 type scheme.

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 02:50 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/02/carroll-timed-mays-at-419/

Pete Carroll timed Mays at 4.19.

I really think there is something wrong with that official time for Mays. No way it went from 4.24 to 4.43. That is a massive difference.

All this technology and they can't get a 40 time right.

DraftBoy
03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/02/carroll-timed-mays-at-419/

Pete Carroll timed Mays at 4.19.

I really think there is something wrong with that official time for Mays. No way it went from 4.24 to 4.43. That is a massive difference.

All this technology and they can't get a 40 time right.

The 4.19 and 4.24 are hand times times, the 4.43 is the electronic official time. Going by unofficial results means you are not accounting for human error.

I dont take Carroll's time as realistic at all.

Mahdi
03-02-2010, 04:09 PM
The 4.19 and 4.24 are hand times times, the 4.43 is the electronic official time. Going by unofficial results means you are not accounting for human error.

I dont take Carroll's time as realistic at all.
Why would NFL network display hand times? Why can't they give electronic times right off the bat?

U know how it works?

DraftBoy
03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Why would NFL network display hand times? Why can't they give electronic times right off the bat?

U know how it works?

The NFL does not release the official number until every athlete run for that group.

At least that is my understanding of how it works.

tampabay25690
03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Taylor Mays might as well be named Roy Williams great hitter but cant wrap up or cover anyone...........

Ingtar33
03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Taylor Mays might as well be named Roy Williams great hitter but cant wrap up or cover anyone...........

Anyone who saw Roy Williams in college knew he was a SS, and an inside the box, playmaking SS. I was appalled when the cowboys plopped him down at FS, and expected him to cover.

That was one of the worst draftday decisions in a long time i've seen Jones make.

But about Mays. His hips are far too stiff, and he's lost in coverage. anyone who wants him at safety will play him at strong safety inside the box. you draft him for any other reason and he better be drafted to play linebacker, because he can't cover.

tampabay25690
03-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Anyone who saw Roy Williams in college knew he was a SS, and an inside the box, playmaking SS. I was appalled when the cowboys plopped him down at FS, and expected him to cover.

That was one of the worst draftday decisions in a long time i've seen Jones make.

But about Mays. His hips are far too stiff, and he's lost in coverage. anyone who wants him at safety will play him at strong safety inside the box. you draft him for any other reason and he better be drafted to play linebacker, because he can't cover.

Well said I would rather have Jarius Byrd then Taylor Mays and Im sorry he NEVER in a million years ran under a 4.2

alnilla
03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
In true electronic timing you have to compensate .24 seconds. (the time it takes for you to react to the gun and crossing the line) So lets make it easy he ran a 4.24 hand time it would be 4.48 electronic give or take a few hundredths. So its very well he could of ran those times there being hand time.

TheBrownBear
03-02-2010, 10:06 PM
He sucks. All hype. Can't cover or tackle worth sh$t, but he's a big hitter (when he doesn't miss) and he looks great with the pads off.

streetkings01
03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
All this tells me is that the guys at USC were lying their butts off when they told everyone that Mays runs in the 4.3/40 range!

Mahdi
03-03-2010, 04:24 PM
All this tells me is that the guys at USC were lying their butts off when they told everyone that Mays runs in the 4.3/40 range!
I think that OFFICIAL time is BS.

Mays beat Trindon Holliday in the Simul-Cam video and Holliday has an OFFICIAL time of 4.34.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDhYKZHKh4Q

DraftBoy
03-03-2010, 05:12 PM
I think that OFFICIAL time is BS.

Mays beat Trindon Holliday in the Simul-Cam video and Holliday has an OFFICIAL time of 4.34.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDhYKZHKh4Q

The Simul-Cam is not fully accurate or official. Its like the yellow first down line.

The only official thing we have is the electronic times.

Mahdi
03-04-2010, 10:53 AM
The Simul-Cam is not fully accurate or official. Its like the yellow first down line.

Electronic times were off for Mays.... He most likely ran about a 4.34

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/03/uscs-mays-may-have-run-faster-than-official-40-time/

I highly doubt the Simul-Cam is so off that it had Mays beating Holliday. That is a huge discrepancy.

psubills62
03-04-2010, 11:03 AM

I'm sure it's not just me, but I have to question the electronic times.

I was briefly watching a clip of guys running the 40 at the combine (the defensive back groups), and the commentators mentioned something about how the start time is actually done by hand, but the final time is electronically measured when they cross the line.

I don't know if that's true, but I am wondering how they measure when the player starts - since I didn't see any electronic equipment set up at the start.

Seems to be an inexact science...just inferring from some of Ingtar's comments, I wouldn't be surprised if each team used their own hand-timed result instead of the "official" time.