PDA

View Full Version : Crucial week in the standings....

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 11:38 AM
A regulation win tonight puts us ahead of Pittsburgh (4th vs 5th) in the standings. NJ has a tough game on the road in San Jose, so if they also lose, then we'll be tied with them for points (which only matters if we either overtake Ottawa or they fall behind Pittsburgh).

Being 4th instead of 5th means home ice advantage for the first round.

We play Philly at the end of the week, and they're only 8 points behind us for 5th place.

Washington is too far ahead of us in the standings to worry about catching them, but we need some points to stop the bleeding that started before the Olympic break.

I realize that each team has 20-22 games left or so, and the standings will change several times, but the Pittsburgh and Philly games are 4 point swings in the conference standings. Better to get those points now than to try to worry about it down the stretch.

CuseJetsFan83
03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
crucial week*?

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 11:43 AM
crucial week*?

thanks, chern.

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
freudian slip- I think "Sabres," I think "weak."

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes it is. Every single game is crucial from this point on.

If Ottawa loses tonight and Buffalo wins, back in first.

I wrote about this during the Olympic break, but it's worth repeating because I'm sure most don't read our stuff. The Sabres have three games in hand on Ottawa and at least one game in hand on the four teams above them right now.

It's a huge advantage for Buffalo if they doing things right.